Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2020, 04:01 PM   #121
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: USA Riots

Any legal experts here?

They initially charged the cop with 3rd degree murder, but has since upgraded it to 2nd degree. The family of George Floyd wants 1st degree (I think?). If they upgrade the charge, and can't prove he is guilty of the more serious graded charge, can they re-charge him at the lower level? Or does he walk free if found not guilty the first time?

Not sure if this is old news or what (or whether even if its fact), but I just read that they found Meth and Fentanyl in his system. And now Covid added. All this might put enough doubt in the jury's mind, especially if he is charged as the higher level. There is a real possibility he may walk?

mmmmmm
Old 04-06-2020, 04:08 PM   #122
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No, that's double jeopardy, can't be tried twice for same offence.
The higher charge is just to appease the masses.
Come trial the defence and the public prosecutors office will cut a deal if he pleads guilty to lesser charge.
For murder one they have to prove intent to kill, and that could be hard unless he said something like, "I don't care if you can't breath, hope you die".
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2020, 05:09 PM   #123
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Not sure if this is old news or what (or whether even if its fact), but I just read that they found Meth and Fentanyl in his system. And now Covid added. All this might put enough doubt in the jury's mind, especially if he is charged as the higher level. There is a real possibility he may walk?
Based on the Covid, Meth and Fentanyl it’s going to be a tall order for any prosecutor to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was solely the positioning of the officers knee that killed Mr Floyd, my prediction is a manslaughter charge and more mass riots.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:56 PM   #124
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee View Post
No, that's double jeopardy, can't be tried twice for same offence.
The higher charge is just to appease the masses.
Come trial the defence and the public prosecutors office will cut a deal if he pleads guilty to lesser charge.
For murder one they have to prove intent to kill, and that could be hard unless he said something like, "I don't care if you can't breath, hope you die".
I don't believe that is correct.

You can be found not guilty of a higher offence but still guilty of a lower offence if the elements are proven.

But yes if found not guilty first up of any offence without new evidence etc then yes double jeopardy applies.

1st degree definitely no chance based on what I've read I agree.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:03 PM   #125
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U View Post
Based on the Covid, Meth and Fentanyl it’s going to be a tall order for any prosecutor to prove beyond reasonable doubt that it was solely the positioning of the officers knee that killed Mr Floyd, my prediction is a manslaughter charge and more mass riots.
Quite possible.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:23 PM   #126
MercuryT
Banned

It's a difficult one with USA Police and brutality.

Is it the Police that are naturally too aggressive, or is it the people they deal with that makes them that way?

Don't get me wrong, some of the vision is appalling and completely unacceptable, I just don't think it's a coincidence compared to more peaceful countries. (as in too much aggression both ways)
Old 04-06-2020, 10:30 PM   #127
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
It's a difficult one with USA Police and brutality.

Is it the Police that are naturally too aggressive, or is it the people they deal with that makes them that way?

Don't get me wrong, some of the vision is appalling and completely unacceptable, I just don't think it's a coincidence compared to more peaceful countries. (as in too much aggression both ways)
Lots of issues there; I would be surprised if any other country had as many veterans in their police force. And the US is the only developed country without a public health system Most other nations have more generous welfare and family support.... and gun laws.

Education may be a factor; I don't know of any other country where 50% of the population believes the world is only 6000 years old and two of every species would fit on a wooden boat for forty days.

I don't want to come across as a total anti US nut; (I'll wear the anti Trump label because I can back it with evidence) most Americans I have met have been genuinely great people. But the country as a whole; you couldn't pay me enough to move there.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2020, 10:53 PM   #128
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watch at your own peril.

https://centipedenation.com/transmis...loyd-protests/
Old 04-06-2020, 11:02 PM   #129
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
What is in there that I cannot unsee CK???
Old 04-06-2020, 11:20 PM   #130
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Group bashing’s, coward punches, attacking unarmed people with weapons, kicking people in the head who are already on the ground, running people over with cars and trucks. Just all the normal stuff that happens in the greatest country in the world.

Last edited by Ben73; 04-06-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2020, 11:21 PM   #131
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You are hearing but not listening. How many are unarmed? How many are where they are sitting in their cars chatting with the police with their wife on the side and a kid in the back? Or asleep in their house whilst non uniform officers break in?
OK, honest, last say.

Yeah I’m not listening because I don’t buy into divisive **** stirring leftist rhetoric which is built on half truths and emotions instead to facts and reality.

More unarmed white men die at the hands of police than black men. What is the justification for those deaths if black ones are put down to racism? Are white and black offenders and suspects killed for different reasons?

I can see the point why you lot refer to unarmed black men being killed. It has the intended effect of suggesting unarmed black men are the only ones dying at the hand of the police, and it implies they are innocent. Again it is common leftist tactic of emotions over fact.

Of course, none of those unarmed deaths were resisting arrest, assaulting an officer, going for an officers weapon, posing an immediate threat to the public, had exisiting health conditions that contributed to their death, etc.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #132
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob View Post
Then don't.

But if you do, you have a fail-safe. I'll send you a shower pic.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #133
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
Yeah I’m not listening because I don’t buy into divisive **** stirring leftist rhetoric which is built on half truths and emotions instead to facts and reality.

More unarmed white men die at the hands of police than black men. What is the justification for those deaths if black ones are put down to racism? Are white and black offenders and suspects killed for different reasons?

I can see the point why you lot refer to unarmed black men being killed. It has the intended effect of suggesting unarmed black men are the only ones dying at the hand of the police, and it implies they are innocent. Again it is common leftist tactic of emotions over fact.

Of course, none of those unarmed deaths were resisting arrest, assaulting an officer, going for an officers weapon, posing an immediate threat to the public, had exisiting health conditions that contributed to their death, etc.
Smootacular!!!
Old 05-06-2020, 09:47 AM   #134
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Then don't.

But if you do, you have a fail-safe. I'll send you a shower pic.
Shower pic please...

Wait! It's not Franco is it???
2 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #135
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Why the feck would Melbourne allow a “BLM” protest (expecting 40,000) to go ahead tomorrow?
After all the lockdowns, the restrictions, the social distancing... And they’re going to let this crap go ahead??..
These bloody “professional protesters” that are behind every conceivable “worthy” cause on the planet all fairdinkum need kneeling on the neck themselves!
Thoughts go out to the poor cops that’ll have to police this thing!
Wanta really make a name for yourself Dan Andrews?
Fire hose the feckin lot of them!!!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 05-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #136
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:10 PM   #137
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Why the feck would Melbourne allow a “BLM” protest (expecting 40,000) to go ahead tomorrow?
After all the lockdowns, the restrictions, the social distancing... And they’re going to let this crap go ahead??..
These bloody “professional protesters” that are behind every conceivable “worthy” cause on the planet all fairdinkum need kneeling on the neck themselves!
Lol who is going to stop them? It's a losing battle. The vic gov will just try to control it. To prevent it would only escalate the situation, and give cause to more Dictator Dan bashing. Can't win.
I sincerely hope there isnt going to be 40,000 twits gathering and destroying all the hard work done.
Sydney already had one, they are going to have a second.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:34 PM   #138
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

How bout ALL public transport in Melbourne shut down tomorrow??
If they still turn out.... Fire hose em, as previous!

Word also is, infections are escalating in Melb CBD? Ain’t that reason enough for the dills to cancel??
(If not.... Firehose!)
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
4 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #139
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone disregarding social distancing laws should be fined yeah?
If its 40,000 protesters they are gonna be busy.

If this is allowed and supported by Gov then anyone disappointed that ANZAC day marches were cancelled would be fairly upset I would imagine.
Same for anybody unable to attend a funeral or visit a dying loved one due to the restrictions.
5 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2020, 12:44 PM   #140
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think they are supporting or condoning it.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...04-p54zo7.html

"But Mr Andrews said on Thursday that people should stay away from the protest to protect their health and prevent any COVID-19 spread."
"Health Minister Jenny Mikakos and Chief Health Officer Brett Sutton also made pleas on Thursday for people to avoid the protests and the risk of community outbreaks of COVID-19."

Now imagine the headlines if he was to take any active actions to stop it...

"Melbournians living under an oppressive regime"
"Dictator Dan prevents Melbournian's rights to protest"
"Dan Andrews Unconstitutional"
"Racist Dan is against BLM"
yadda yadda yadda...

Maybe its time to give these babies a try..
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational...aqU1H1REbr9Jik
Old 05-06-2020, 01:01 PM   #141
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Anyhow, organising me own protest rally here! (Expect 10 or 12)
Big a rse tree fallen over the power wires, and soon no cold beer at our little jungle bar!
(Before anyone says “off topic”, It IS Central “America”, and there WILL be a feckin riot, if it ain’t fixed soon!)
3 users like this post:
Old 05-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #142
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo

Saw an interesting statistic yesterday. A white police officer is 18 and half times more likely to die at the hands of a black criminal, than the other way round. But only black lives matter apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
They should have got on the front foot and said anyone attending will be fined for not social distancing, and arrested if they do not follow police orders to leave the area. Sick of seeing the government using these touchy feely light handed police tactics so as not to offend anyone. Let them do their jobs without having to worry about PR garbage.

Dan Andrews is that far ahead in the poles that a little negative press wouldn't hurt him. No need to be a soft cock.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:13 PM   #143
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LMAO, wait for it....

Old 05-06-2020, 01:16 PM   #144
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They should have got on the front foot and said anyone attending will be fined for not social distancing, and arrested if they do not follow police orders to leave the area. Sick of seeing the government using these touchy feely light handed police tactics so as not to offend anyone. Let them do their jobs without having to worry about PR garbage.
Possibly the silliest comment so far.

Just what do you think would happen if Vicpol went out there in full riot gear looking to crack heads?
Old 05-06-2020, 01:26 PM   #145
PhilT2

It was only a matter of time. Republican leaders in Texas caught sharing a conspiracy theory that the Floyd killing was a staged event designed to undermine black support for Trump.
https://www.texastribune.org/2020/06...OP-conspiracy/

I'm happy to admit there are nutters on both sides of politics, but I reckon the right has a clear lead here. The deep state Qanon, Agenda 21. anti-vax stuff lives on the right.

Anyone remember Jade Helm? That was a military exercise carried out during the Obama presidency. The right went nuts. Reports showed that between 30-50% of republican voters believed that the exercise was an Obama plot to invade Texas and lock everyone up in old Walmart stores. The Texas governor sent national guard troops out to ensure that Texas was safe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jade_H...iracy_theories

The left just can't compete with that.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #146
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane
Possibly the silliest comment so far.

Just what do you think would happen if Vicpol went out there in full riot gear looking to crack heads?

I would kindly answer that question, when you can point out where exactly I said they should crack heads?

You have completely misinterpreted my thoughts. Completely.
Old 05-06-2020, 02:25 PM   #147
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NSW gov't is going to the High Court to stop the 'gathering.'
Old 05-06-2020, 02:27 PM   #148
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I would kindly answer that question, when you can point out where exactly I said they should crack heads?

You have completely misinterpreted my thoughts. Completely.
Then perhaps you should explain yourself a little more clearly.

Saying "They should have got on the front foot and said anyone attending will be fined for not social distancing, and arrested if they do not follow police orders to leave the area"
Would be like a red flag to a bull, with the professional protesters (who are itching for news time) seeing just how far they can push the envelope.
Old 05-06-2020, 06:45 PM   #149
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We just had a protest here today. I worked from home but they locked the doors at work as a precaution since the rally point is very close. No new cases for over a month now so will see if they've just undone all the work.

We can all argue they should be handing out fines but good luck with that. That would turn it to **** if it hadn't turned to **** already by then
Old 05-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #150
MercuryT
Banned

I don't condone Police brutality at all.

But imo these protests are ridiculous.

90% I suspect just enjoy protesting and causing trouble when given an opportunity rather than any genuine reason to do so.
7 users like this post:
Closed Thread