Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 31-08-2009, 10:22 PM   #1
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default 1/4 mile hints n tips, FG XR8 UTE :)

Hey lads

Going to take the fg xr8 ute down the quarter mile for the 1st time this wednesday, she's got a zf 6 speed.

just thought i'd ask the wealth of people in the know on the forums as to the best way to launch and get my boss 290 coupled with the zf 6 speed, from go to finish in the fastest way possible ;)

shes got 20's all round, 8.5" front 10" rear, i'm trying to source some track tyres but i'm just keen to get her down n get a base figure first.

She's stock, with 3300km's on the odo and a cat back zorst i'm figuring traction is going to be my hardest hurdle, should i do it in full auto or manual mode, i'm pretty used to using manual mode and prefer it, whats your guys thoughts? What should i stall it to b4 launch? whats the go with DCS as it annoys me greatly already :P anyway any help would be great and thanks in advance for your time

Scotty

All 20th Ann extras

: |||Mods To Date - Lowered all Round on Walkinshaw Springs. More to come . Tuned by ?????- Power - . ||| :

|Hers| 2009 LV XR5 Turbo in Silhouette
AzuR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Make sure you do a burnout to warm your tyres. Mainly just cause it will look cool coming from a black xr8 ute
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2009, 11:45 PM   #3
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit of variety to know the limits and what works and what doesnt.

Small burnout, just till you see smoke then stop, big burnouts wont help on street tyres, especially lower profiles in most cases.

Try no stall on the first pass,the go up and try stalling it it in 3-400 rpm increments.

keep an eye on the 60 ft times and mile per hour. if you find a sweet spot, then you should be able get improvements there with fine tuning.

Also have fun and put the boot in the sump!

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha, oh i'll do a burnout ;)

sweet cheers for that mate, would you go down in perf mode or manual mode? maybe try both ;)

All 20th Ann extras

: |||Mods To Date - Lowered all Round on Walkinshaw Springs. More to come . Tuned by ?????- Power - . ||| :

Old 01-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Being a first timer myself.

What I learnt:

1. Chuck a skid, who cares about warming the tyres, it's just awesome fun.
2. Punch it on the last amber light before green. Maybe try the 2nd last, but because of the extra oomph of the 8, you might false start.
3. Experiment with normal D, PEF D and manual shift. I just used PEF D for my first few runs and then in my last 6 I used manual mode.
4. Don't try and understand how the times work, just be happy if you get a good time!
5. Have fun!!!!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #6
Cub35
Starter Motor

Reaction time isnt required at a T&T. Because your learning just sit at the lights for awhile until your ready to leave. If the green light is up for a few seconds so be it.

As for low profile tyres, dont do a burnout. You will marble you tyres and you will just start skating at the pointy end.

For a first night just leave the shifting alone. If your able to get a fair few runs in then you can start mucking around. I would be very surprised if there is a difference.

My thing for all autos is finding the flash point. Use this stall speed as your rev point where you want to leave the line at. On your first run half pedal it out of the hole and then punch it. Let your torque converter do all the work. If you can find the flash point your times will be a whole lot better
Cub35 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 12:38 PM   #7
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuR
Hey lads

Going to take the fg xr8 ute down the quarter mile for the 1st time this wednesday, she's got a zf 6 speed.

just thought i'd ask the wealth of people in the know on the forums as to the best way to launch and get my boss 290 coupled with the zf 6 speed, from go to finish in the fastest way possible ;)

shes got 20's all round, 8.5" front 10" rear, i'm trying to source some track tyres but i'm just keen to get her down n get a base figure first.

She's stock, with 3300km's on the odo and a cat back zorst i'm figuring traction is going to be my hardest hurdle, should i do it in full auto or manual mode, i'm pretty used to using manual mode and prefer it, whats your guys thoughts? What should i stall it to b4 launch? whats the go with DCS as it annoys me greatly already :P anyway any help would be great and thanks in advance for your time

Scotty
First time at track ay,i would kill for that feeling again.

If your using the 20s just do a burnout at end of water so your not spraying a heap under your guard.When your staging water will drip ontop of tyre if you dont.
Now because its a stocker i would deep stage(1 white light)to get a good reaction time not important though.

Leaving the line with the 20s wont allow much more than 2000rpm stall unless you want a smoke show.Start in Perf Drive for first run and just enjoy and soak it all up then go manual from their on in.When using manual your shiftpoints are what your trans would select when in Perf Drive mode.

Try different lanes as one may be a preference over the other.DCS i cant help with as im from the BA breed and havnt looked into the way that operates fully first.

If you cant get track tyres a set of 17s with 234/245s on with 20psi would suffice for a stocky,just use good tyres.

If its a quiet night dont be affraid to experiment with shiftpoints,stall,tyre pressure,burnout quantity ect.

At a guess i think mid to high 13s are possible with a good leave from the tree.good luck and enjoy yourself,get as many freinds to go as possible.cheers

gilmore.
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

try running the rears on some stockies IMO

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2009, 11:38 PM   #9
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cheers for the info guys, helping me come up with a bit of a plan

yer i'm trying to get a hold of some stockies for the rear, might have myself some 18's lined up, all 4 for $250

All 20th Ann extras

Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #10
Corzza

So how did you go out there?

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
DBL15
love being blown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corzza
So how did you go out there?
i think its tonight but i am keen to see how he went as well

i know he will have a ball and a big smile for doing it legally and not on the street

let us know how you go mate : : :
DBL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #12
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope there will be vids
Old 03-09-2009, 01:27 AM   #13
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey guys

well succesfully pulled off my 1st time down the strip for myself and the fg, i managed to rock up at the line with my new helmet on, wondering why i couldnt see very good, coulda been the fact i forgot to take the stickers off the visor hahaha.

It felt like the first time i knew i was going to see a vagina, excitment, adrenaline, i just wanted to get in there and run a muck!

ok back to the drags, haha, my first run turned out to be my fastest, did it in perf mode, no DSC and did fair burnout (specially on my last run) the burnouts did help with the 20's, traction was a bit of a issue,

heres my best time of the nite, i really think i could get it down to about 13.4 give or take, but i had 3 runs n left as i live an hours drive away :P my launch needs about as much work as MJ's nose did :(

car is bog stock bar cat back zorst, 3500km's on the odo, and now about 1kg less rubber on the 20's :P mainly the rear

hopefully i can get some footage of people who were there, i went solo so i didnt have a dedicated camera dude

This now gives me a great baseline, to the mods coming up over the next month and year/years, from tune and headers, to eventually a supercharger. I'll now be able to gauge effectiveness of my future mods, with my base dyno reading and now my base 1/4 mile run, although, i'd say i'm far from nailing it :P

Scotty

All 20th Ann extras

Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #14
Corzza

13.4 is not bad mate!!

With a bit of practice you will chop off that time

Well Done!

Race 2 Clipsal 500 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NOZvWBp4Eo

"I plucked her into first, gave it some jandal and F@#$ Yeah!" - Scott McLaughlin
Corzza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corzza
13.4 is not bad mate!!

With a bit of practice you will chop off that time

Well Done!
I think his best was a 13.77 reading the whole post.

That is a huge effort, particulary for a 400metre virgin. Well Done Scotty and only faster from here. Try again with 10k on the clock would probably yield a better time just being run-in.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:17 PM   #16
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

well done mate, my mate was driving the white bf boss 302 ute. . best he got was a 14.09.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #17
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers guys

had a ball down there, was really a rush, cant wait to go down again, with a few mods on the fg

Quote:
Originally Posted by X000BOSS
well done mate, my mate was driving the white bf boss 302 ute. . best he got was a 14.09.
really? yer i'm sorta trying to nut out other standard 290 times, i know tocchi got a 13.6 with stock car and stock 19's, so i'm about where i should be for a stocko, the 302 musta had alot of traction issues eh?

I need to get my launch down packed, defently going to work on that next time down

All 20th Ann extras

Old 03-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #18
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It felt like the first time i knew i was going to see a vagina, excitment, adrenaline, i just wanted to get in there and run a muck!
LMAO. Nice time and good to see ya had fun. Id like to get my ute down to the drags 1 nite but im 100% sure ill break something lol
Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #19
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1tzy
LMAO. Nice time and good to see ya had fun. Id like to get my ute down to the drags 1 nite but im 100% sure ill break something lol

Hey mate

do it, youd be unlucky to break something :P ive already gone through one tailshaft, i was afraid the revised one would go, but once i started doing a burnout that was the last thing in my mind, i was just thinking hell yes i cant see anything, were is the wall :P

All 20th Ann extras

Old 03-09-2009, 10:31 PM   #20
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

very nice time AzuR! I love XR8s, and 13.7 is a perfect time to get for a first timer!, Theres definatly more in it!
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 10:35 PM   #21
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey mate

do it, youd be unlucky to break something :P ive already gone through one tailshaft, i was afraid the revised one would go, but once i started doing a burnout that was the last thing in my mind, i was just thinking hell yes i cant see anything, were is the wall :P
ha ha. as long as ya didn't hit the wall its all good. Well if i do break something it means i get a few days off work :
Old 03-09-2009, 10:50 PM   #22
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Great effort, Your 60ft is very impressive for a near stocker, those ZF tranny's must be good thing.

Looking at the density altitude on your time slip there was some good air last night.
Would have gone down myself but had a little rain out my way so thought it would have been cancelled. (spewing)

Cheer's, Craig.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #23
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Great effort, Your 60ft is very impressive for a near stocker, those ZF tranny's must be good thing.

Looking at the density altitude on your time slip there was some good air last night.
Would have gone down myself but had a little rain out my way so thought it would have been cancelled. (spewing)

Cheer's, Craig.
Cheers guy

Hey craig

yer was pretty cool out there, i thought it was going to rain as well, but it managed to hold out till about 830 i think, i'll be headn down next wednesday to try n better it, i'll have to catch up with you

yer i tryed a few runs in manual mode but my 60" increased, the zf in performance mode off the line seemed like the combo, i think i just needed to stall a bit higher to get a better launch

All 20th Ann extras

Old 03-09-2009, 11:09 PM   #24
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Good fun hey Scotty?............. be careful, it's addictive!

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2009, 11:16 PM   #25
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
Good fun hey Scotty?............. be careful, it's addictive!

Daniel
Hey mate

when you going down / let me ride in your blown beast :P

All 20th Ann extras

Old 04-09-2009, 12:16 AM   #26
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Yep will see ya there.
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 02:32 AM   #27
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Congratulations on a very respectable time.

Quote:
Cheers guy

Hey craig

yer was pretty cool out there, i thought it was going to rain as well, but it managed to hold out till about 830 i think, i'll be headn down next wednesday to try n better it, i'll have to catch up with you

yer i tryed a few runs in manual mode but my 60" increased, the zf in performance mode off the line seemed like the combo, i think i just needed to stall a bit higher to get a better launch
Doesn't the manual mode allow for more rpm in first?
Old 04-09-2009, 09:56 AM   #28
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Slow 60ft mate!

My BA Xr6 can do a 2.099 =P

haha. Nah just playing! Good to see you had a ball...but only 3 runs?

I'm hanging out for my 2nd trip to the drags, gonna be all about breaking PBs.

Good stuff mate!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #29
AzuR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Congratulations on a very respectable time.

Doesn't the manual mode allow for more rpm in first?

hey falc,

yer thats what i thought, i rev'ed each gear out to just before cut off, i actually hit the limiter on my first try on manual mode, then my last run, i got all gears right up to the limit, but it felt like it spun more from my launch, i got alot to learn i'd say

All 20th Ann extras

Old 04-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #30
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Hey mate

when you going down / let me ride in your blown beast :P
Soon mate I hope :

Eddy and Simon are organising a private day soon so that Active Automotive and Xtreme Ford Tuning customers (and owners) can have some fun....... I'm hoping they get both lanes so we can do a Ford vs Holden thing :evil3:

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post