Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #1
BuuBox

Default AU Radiator Cap

I feel silly asking this question, but bear with me...

The radiator cap on my AUII XR6 looks original and fairly worn out. Went to buy a new one, but no one (Repco, SCA, Autobarn, eBay) stocks a 120kpa / 17 psi replacement, only 135kpa / 20psi.

With radiator hoses possibly approaching 17 years old, I'm a little hesitant using one with a higher pressure.

The only alternative I can see is the Tridon CN15100, which is 100kpa/15psi.

Any recommendations?
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: AU Radiator Cap

I looked up the Tridon and CPC catalogues - they only list the 20psi caps. If your cooling system is in good order, this doesn't present a problem.

I can't comment on going to a lower psi cap, so I won't.

If your hoses are 17yo, then you've got a good run out of them. A lower psi cap is not going to save your ***.

Yes, it's a PITA changing out all the hoses, but best be planned at home to do it. Imagine if one of the hoses blows while out on the road and the inconvenience it would cause - let alone the cost of towing fees.

Replace the hoses now mate, that's the best advice I can give you.

Cheers!

Edit: Flush the cooling system and add rust inhibitor/coolant while your at it - your alloy cylinder head is expensive to replace, if it's not already munted.

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
BuuBox

Good advice, but I'd still rather use a radiator cap that is equivalent pressure to the factory cap.
Old 08-01-2017, 09:25 PM   #4
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox View Post
Good advice, but I'd still rather use a radiator cap that is equivalent pressure to the factory cap.
Makes no difference that you will notice. Thousands of AUII XR6's have the 20psi cap on with no issues whatsoever, as it's the most common cap available.

Going with your theory, have the tyres being replaced with the original spec tyres? Or the brake pads with the exact same spec as it came from factory?
Tickford. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #5
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3 PSI is bugger all - old age hoses, well, that's another thing.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 08:10 AM   #6
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

It's not a good idea to increase the pressure of the radiator cap over standard, the system may not be able to handle the increased pressure.

However, AU2/3 spec is 15-20psi, so you'll be ok.

Your hoses may still be fine, if in doubt, replace them too.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty View Post
I looked up the Tridon and CPC catalogues - they only list the 20psi caps. If your cooling system is in good order, this doesn't present a problem.
The Tridon catalogue has caps listed from 7psi to 20psi (and everything in between) to fit an AU.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 09:35 AM   #8
Fed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Buy a genuine Ford one.
Fed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #9
BuuBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
It's not a good idea to increase the pressure of the radiator cap over standard, the system may not be able to handle the increased pressure.

However, AU2/3 spec is 15-20psi, so you'll be ok.

Your hoses may still be fine, if in doubt, replace them too.
Thanks, you're right - the service manual on here specifies 120-135kpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sox
The Tridon catalogue has caps listed from 7psi to 20psi (and everything in between) to fit an AU.
Do you have a part numbers? I can't see them on the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
Buy a genuine Ford one.
Will do, if I can get to the spare parts counter before they close. I'm not actually chasing an issue here, just replacing a worn looking cap. Don't want to create a problem unnecessarily.
Old 15-05-2017, 11:31 PM   #10
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

IIRC VY V8 commodores have a 120kpa cap