Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 04-10-2016, 07:16 PM   #1
Falcon_lover97
Starter Motor

Unhappy 1995 WB festiva running issues

Hi all, just a few quick questions, so I bought a 1995 festiva a short time ago and ever since I bought it, it hasn't run right.

So when I first start it (cold or hot) it starts for a second then dies again then will continuously try and start, but then if I leave the key on in the on position for 5 seconds and crank it, it starts fine?

Second of all once it's started I go to accelerate and it hesitates to do so, it idles perfect but as soon as I try and put the foot down it just drops revs and then when I let off the accelerator it idles fine again?

I've replaced fuel pump and cleaned the tank out, replaced coolant temp sensor, dizzy cap, dizzy rotor, leads, spark plugs, ignition coil, fuel pump relay, injectors, fuel pressure regulator and serviced it (air filter, fuel filter, oil filter and oil) have also checked all the sensors aswell (MAF,TPS,IATS,TPS) but it still does it! Any help would be appreciated, thank you for your assistance!

Last edited by Falcon_lover97; 04-10-2016 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Left key information out
Falcon_lover97 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #2
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: 1995 WB festiva running issues

Have you checked the timing? If it slightly retarded, the extra fuel from letting it sit with the ignition on may ignite because there is more fuel in the combustion chamber.

But from your description it sounds fuel related. The fuel filter lines are on correct way (possible on wrong before you touched it and you put on same way?). Have you physically checked the fuel pressure with an external gauge to see what is happening under those conditions on when it plays up?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #3
Falcon_lover97
Starter Motor

No I haven't checked the timing mate, I don't think they have the degrees do they instead they have a yellow and white dot that has to line up with a notch or something? I'll have a look at the fuel filter and the lines and see how it goes, and yeah I hooked a pressure gauge up the it just after the fuel filter and at the end of the rail, had about 36psi of pressure.

Thank you for your time I'm just stumped on where to go from here, much appreciated!
Old 05-10-2016, 12:24 AM   #4
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Did the fuel pressure remain around there even when you loose power?
Old 05-10-2016, 12:38 PM   #5
Falcon_lover97
Starter Motor

Yeah, it didn't drop when the revs did just stayed at 36psi the whole time
Old 05-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #6
Falcon_lover97
Starter Motor

Yeah it did, didn't fluctuate when the car almost cut out or anything just stayed at 36psi
Old 05-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Suggest look at the timing, also check the dizzy for excessive play in the internal shaft, remove cap and see if there is too much movement in rotor button shaft. Sounds retarded.
Old 05-10-2016, 11:32 PM   #8
Falcon_lover97
Starter Motor

Okay mate, do you happen to know how to set ignition timing and so forth?
Old 06-10-2016, 10:32 PM   #9
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This might help you, pretty basic...

I would check the cam timing first by getting piston 1 on TDC comp stroke and the balancer should line up with the pointer. Sometimes the balancer can slip and rotate on itself and people then set the timing to the wrong position.

WB Timing.pdf