Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

View Poll Results: Have you had any problems with your DSG Auto, Focus or Fiesta?
Had a problem now its fixed by the dealer 11 15.71%
More than 1 promblem with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
More than 2 promblems with still ongoing issues 11 15.71%
3 or more problems with still ongoing issues 13 18.57%
Never had any issues with my DSG Auto 22 31.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-10-2016, 07:12 PM   #451
Rocksprint
Starter Motor

Default Re: 2011 Ford Focus Sport, Transmission Shudders :(

Wifes focus had trans fix bout 2months ago. After out today now to go shop and it says transmission malfunction problem??? Any help pleas as she needs to drive it thanks.
Rocksprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #452
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wife booked our poweshift auto fiesta into dealer for 60k service. Without us asking the lady at Ford dealer said we may need it 2 days as we are fitting a CERAMIC clutch.

This is a new development !

Any one had one fitted yet/how does it feel/ and did Ford add extra transmission warranty.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 12:24 AM   #453
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
and did Ford add extra transmission warranty.
Ford send out paper work letting owners know there transmissions have a 5 year warranty, extra 2 years.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #454
Victor1

Quote:
Wife booked our poweshift auto fiesta into dealer for 60k service. Without us asking the lady at Ford dealer said we may need it 2 days as we are fitting a CERAMIC clutch.

This is a new development !

Any one had one fitted yet/how does it feel/ and did Ford add extra transmission warranty.
I have just had a fiesta fitted with the new clutch material and seals.(not sure if it's ceramic).
Was told it needs a 1000km to bed in.
I drove it within 100 kms and did notice some harsh low km gear changes so I will wait and see what it feels like after the bedding in time.
Victor1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #455
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan View Post
Ford send out paper work letting owners know there transmissions have a 5 year warranty, extra 2 years.
Yes thanks that was over a year ago.
What I am asking is there an additional warranty going on the new ceramic clutch being fitted to power shift transmissions now ie February 2017.
Old 31-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #456
Victor1

Quote:
Yes thanks that was over a year ago.
What I am asking is there an additional warranty going on the new ceramic clutch being fitted to power shift transmissions now ie February 2017.
No extra warranty is supplied.
I have had this discussion with ford customer relations centre.
Old 31-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #457
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for that.
I had new front shocks fitted at pedders with a 40000km warranty, one failed 10000 into its life a new one was fitted and the 40000 warranty on that shock started again.
I wonder what pressure we as consumers can exert. ****** me off in the last 12 years have bought 4 focuses and 2 fiestas, where is fords loyalty to my buying pattern.
Old 01-02-2017, 10:23 AM   #458
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Is this new clutch going to be fitted to all cars, or only ones complained about? We haven't had a problem with our Focus's DCT, but at my wife's service last week (last one before warranty expires), the dealer supposedly found an "oil leak from beneath the timing cover", which needed a 1-2 day fix. I'm wondering if that was a story for putting the new clutch in.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2017, 08:00 PM   #459
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lady at our dealer said all powershift cars being recalled for thsi clutch change, but might mean all the ones still within the 5year warranty.
This user likes this post:
Old 01-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #460
KosCo

Quote:
Lady at our dealer said all powershift cars being recalled for thsi clutch change, but might mean all the ones still within the 5year warranty.
I have a 2012 powershift LW and the extended warranty on the gearbox will run out in October 2017. The last couple of posts here are the first I have heard about these new repairs. Is there anyone who has more information on this subject? Do you have to approach and argue with Ford again? Would like to get any fixes done before the extended warranty runs out.
KosCo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #461
Victor1

If you believe you have got an issue with your car and have had multiple clutch changes and tcu upgrades you really should contact the customer relations centre on 1300 ford.
I have found them to be very helpful as long as you don't loose your cool .
Old 07-02-2017, 08:05 PM   #462
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
I have a 2012 powershift LW and the extended warranty on the gearbox will run out in October 2017. The last couple of posts here are the first I have heard about these new repairs. Is there anyone who has more information on this subject? Do you have to approach and argue with Ford again? Would like to get any fixes done before the extended warranty runs out.
You just need to contact your local Ford dealer explain it's a power shift under warranty till October and you want to book it in for ceramic clutch fitting any software updates. I don't deal with the dealer we bought the car off just the closest Ford dealer who are very good in my case sunshine Ford on the Gold Coast. I take our car in tomorrow and will update on pick up be in tomorrow or Thursday on this forum with what I can find out hopefully ceramic clutch is the cure.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:10 PM   #463
Victor1

Last edited by Victor1; 07-02-2017 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Doubled up on posting and repeated previous posting
Old 07-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #464
KosCo

Thanks victor1 and kevino for your replies. Would be very interested in how kevino gets along with anything done to your gearbox and how it turns out.
I was just about to do something about my car's gearbox but yesterday someone backed into the car and did some minor damage. My car goes in to the panel shop in 2 weeks time and when I get the car back I will do something more about the gear box.
Old 08-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #465
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosCo View Post
Thanks victor1 and kevino for your replies. Would be very interested in how kevino gets along with anything done to your gearbox and how it turns out.
I was just about to do something about my car's gearbox but yesterday someone backed into the car and did some minor damage. My car goes in to the panel shop in 2 weeks time and when I get the car back I will do something more about the gear box.
Dropped the car off today get back tomorrow pm.
The customer service agent told me Ford have been fitting these ceramic clutches to power shift gearboxes in the USA and they are a total success stops the heating and oil leak issues.
So we shall see. Will update after driving car.
Old 08-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #466
Gregoryg
Starter Motor

I read that Ceramic clutches will wear much faster if you ride the clutch, and can experience some shudder or chatter on engagement.
Gregoryg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #467
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did a 200km run today including 30% metro. Massive improvement operating like a dual clutch should with no fuss and quick smooth changes with the newly installed ceramic clutch in the pwoershift semi automated gearbox. Early days but positive.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:07 PM   #468
Pursya

Quote:
Did a 200km run today including 30% metro. Massive improvement operating like a dual clutch should with no fuss and quick smooth changes with the newly installed ceramic clutch in the pwoershift semi automated gearbox. Early days but positive.

Good news.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2017, 12:02 AM   #469
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mum had this new clutch fitted less than 15,000km ago. Two weeks ago it started shuddering.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2017, 08:25 PM   #470
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Mum had this new clutch fitted less than 15,000km ago. Two weeks ago it started shuddering.
When was it fitted in time wise?
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-02-2017, 06:40 PM   #471
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Late November. The service manager told her it was a new type of clutch they were installing and was used in the US, and that it should fix the problem.

Funny thing. When it was last in Mum asked for her car to be bought back and use that to put towards a new Focus. They said they'd get that started for her, and replace the clutch in the mean time. She didn't hear back so she called them before Christmas and was advised the manager wasn't in but he would call back. No one called. So she rang just before New Years and was told he wasn't in and would call back. Again, no call. So she called the Tuesday after New Years and was advised he was on sick leave and wouldn't be back till mid February. She called in mid Feb and was told he was with a customer and would call back. Same thing last Friday.

And today she finally got to speak to him. And he said her car was already valued last November but would need to be valued again this Wednesday. Not bloody likely. She was never told it was valued! When she asked what it was valued for he would say and said they don't discuss the figures. I'm taking the day off to go with her on Wednesday and I'll be telling them what it was valued for in November is what it's value is now as it's not mums fault they've been mucking her around ever since. That dealership is normally fantastic and I'd recommend them to anyone, but damn it they're being a pack of twits about this now.
Old 23-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #472
Victor1

Ha that sounds similar to what I called the manager of my dealership,I called him the mythical beast.you heard about him,you may have seen him,or even spoke to him on the phone,but when you needed to talk to him In real life he was never available or rarely.his sales crew used to joke about it as well,as I was in there multiple times a week asking for the mythical beast.
But after all the ****off the end result was fantastic.
If you don't get a result from your dealership there is also the customer relations centre on 1300 ford,and by this time you really should be talking to them.
Old 23-02-2017, 11:42 PM   #473
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor1 View Post
Ha that sounds similar to what I called the manager of my dealership,I called him the mythical beast.you heard about him,you may have seen him,or even spoke to him on the phone,but when you needed to talk to him In real life he was never available or rarely.his sales crew used to joke about it as well,as I was in there multiple times a week asking for the mythical beast.
But after all the ****off the end result was fantastic.
If you don't get a result from your dealership there is also the customer relations centre on 1300 ford,and by this time you really should be talking to them.
I'm going to see how we go on Wednesday and if we don't have a satisfactory outcome I'll ring Ford then and there. They've been a great dealership until now and to be honest I'd still buy my Ranger from there when my better half decides she wants a mini version of me.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:32 AM   #474
KosCo

I have spoken to Ford Customer Care about my LW gearbox shudders. They have given me a Reference Number and asked that I take it in for a "diagnostic" check. So it is now booked in for next week for this test.
Does anyone know what this entails and do they give a report on that status of the gearbox and its shudders?
The car had a service last October and the gearbox came back very good and this lasted the usual 4-6 weeks before the shudders started to re-appear.
My warranty on the gearbox runs out in October so hoping to get something sorted out before then. Any feedback on the ceramic clutches - are they a solution?
Would also appreciate any feedback/suggestions on how to talk to Ford so that I don't get fobbed off.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:51 AM   #475
old_mate
Smash the Boost

Take it in with the clutch hot; try do some city type running around for about half an hour. That should get it to shudder. I've had our focus done last week; not that ours was all that bad to begin with really (i know someone at ford that just made it happen for me) - new clutch is night and day. I am told; by design it might shudder a bit in heavy stop start traffic (if you in it for an hour or so) as the design hasn't changed it's just the friction materials have improved.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2017, 01:31 AM   #476
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mum has been given a case manager from Ford and is now awaiting their offer. See what happens. Hopefully she's in a new Focus in the not too distant future.

The new clutch in mums case still shudders. I don't know why but it's there.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #477
KosCo

Got the verdict today - will be getting a new clutch in about a week's time. Really hope they have worked out the problems with the clutch - would be nice to drive the car without having to anticipate each shudder situation.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #478
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it will get rid of the shudder no question wifes car still good.
However 15000kms on these new ceramic clutches, we willl wait and see.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:53 PM   #479
KosCo

I used to play a game of "is today going to be a good day or a bad day" - some days the clutch was good and other days it was bad. Unfortunately, now all days are bad ( really bad). I notice there are now not many comments here on the clutch so not sure if that is an indication that the problems have been fixed or a lot of people have gotten rid of the car.
We also now have an LZ - big difference between the LZ and LW. Unfortunately have to keep the LW for a few more years yet so really hoping the clutch situation can be improved.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:35 AM   #480
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are the same. Have a manual gearbox LZ and a 2012 Fiesta powershift. Bought the Fiesta as a 10 year car.