Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-02-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Paint code for AU XR Series 2-3 17 " rims

Any leads appreciated
Old 12-02-2017, 07:05 PM   #2
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Paint code for AU XR Series 2-3 17 " rims

Bill,

Are you talking about the five spoke Tickford rims?

Regards
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-02-2017, 02:21 PM   #3
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same as these originally posted by LTD747
cheers
Bill.
Old 13-02-2017, 11:02 PM   #4
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Bill,

I have an AU XR8 Series 3, 5 speed and done some research last year with the paint code for these rims, with a good result.

The paint code is called Brilliant Silver AFO.*0042 Ford Aust. The company that produces the paint is PPG. They are based in Victoria and Sydney.

The gentleman that was able to provide this information to me is their Customer Service Technical ANZ, (Carlo Pinto), he was very helpful.

From memory when I inquired about the price per litre, it was about $140.00, Melbourne was much cheaper then Sydney for some reason, same company, go figure.

Personally, I am yet to paint my rims, I suppose it's just the time, plus I didn't want to start with my original rims, so I have just purchased a cheap second hand Tickford rim so I can do a practice run to see how the paint colour matches against the originals.

Make sure you use a 2k clear over the base coat, so it will withstand the elements, road grime and detergents. If you need further information happy to assist.

By the way, if you do go ahead with the paint job send me a pic. Also I am sure these rims would have been powder coated and not hand sprayed during the era. A good spray job would be just effective.

Good luck

Last edited by Edxr6; 13-02-2017 at 11:10 PM.
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 13-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #5
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info Edxr6,
I did one rim in VHT chevy Rally silver for a trial with the clearcoat but it turned out splotchy, serves me right for being a cheapie
I did give it a good pre paint sanding and I believe they are painted rather than powder coated. They have the ROH logo on them who are still in business supplying Toyota.
cheers
Bill.
Old 14-02-2017, 03:02 PM   #6
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An update, ROH say these wheels were painted with PPG paints.
cheers
Bill.