Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #1
Kian Jorry
Starter Motor

Default XR5 noisy lifters

My 2007 XR5 has started to make a lot of noise in the top end . The lifters are really noisy below 1200rpm. I have owned the car from new and its always had 5k oil changes with synthetic oil. The car has done 78k so fairly low kms for this to happen. Is it a common problem with the xr5? I see the volvo motors have seals in the sump around the oil pump which leak causing low oil pressure. This apparently causes noisy lifters. The xr5 has oil pressure gauge and it is showing normal. I ve looked at new lifters which are really expensive. Im also thinking it would be a good idea to do a compression test before replacing the lifters.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Kian Jorry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2017, 05:14 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: XR5 noisy lifters

Hi Kian, there are no lifters in the XR5 engine. The camshafts actuate mechanical tappets, which directly open / close each valve.

Rather than replacing the tappets, the first thing I would do is check the valve clearance (ie. feeler gauge between the camshaft base circle and the tappet) to see if it is in spec or not.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-01-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
Kian Jorry
Starter Motor

Hi I thought they had hydraulic tappets but the RS had shimmed buckets. Guess I got it wrong. So if its out of spec new buckets from ford of the correct thickness ? Unfortunately taking those valve covers of also releases the cams. Can the clearance still be checked by sitting the cams in the head?
Thank for the help
Old 27-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Definitely shimless tappets. It's valve cover off unfortunately to check those clearances.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-01-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Kian Jorry
Starter Motor

Could you tell me what the clearances need to be?
Old 28-01-2017, 01:36 AM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Intake is 0.17 - 0.23mm and exhaust is 0.37 - 0.43mm, engine cold.