Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #1
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Default AU wipers not working

I have a problem with my wipers, they don't work. The very rare time that Sydney gets continous amounts of rain they stop. Lucky I have a bottle of rainx. I have tried a few things.

1. Got a new combination switch.
2. Tested the earth.
3. Tested the wiper motor.
4. Tested the fuse.

None of the above fixed the problem. I got a test light out and tested the connection going to the wiper motor under the plastic cover at the base of the windscreen. There is no power getting to it.So somewhere along the wires some thing is not working how it should. What could that be?

Can anyone help.

Cheers
Chief

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Umineko
Karasu

My guess would be that you have a crook wiper motor relay, it'd be in the fuse box, try swapping it out for the A/C relay and see if it works. If you've changed the combination switch and checked the fuse and you have no power to the motor; except for a break or short in the wires (not impossible but unlikely) it's the only other thing it can be.
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 12:31 AM   #3
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I haven't tried the realy yet. I will go out and have a look. Like you said I highly doubt it would be a break / short in the wires.

Fords in the Park 2010

Old 30-04-2007, 12:38 AM   #4
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the wipers are controled through the BEM so it could be that but i'd treat that as a last resort as it is a costly item and you need to get the smartlock or smartshield to relearn if you replace it
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I just looked the through the manual to the fuse and relay diagrams (page 139) and can not see the relay for wipers. When there is dead silence you can hear clicking in the BEM when you turn the wipers on and off. I unscrewed the BEM and held it in my hand under the dash.

Fords in the Park 2010

Old 30-04-2007, 12:43 AM   #6
Umineko
Karasu

Yeaht that's true but it's wiper speeds/intermitant timings that are controlled plus if the BEM module went down I'd expect to see faults in the smartlock, courtesy lighting and other connected systems, when these things fail it's seldom only one system that's effected.
Old 30-04-2007, 12:46 AM   #7
Umineko
Karasu

That doesn't sound good, can you determine which wire is the wiper power out connection and see if you have power on that line?
Old 30-04-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I do not know which wire is the power wire, but I got a test light and tested all 5 pins in the connection to the wiper motor, the test light did not light up.

Being a wagon I can use the rear wiper and still squirt water onto the windscreen but can not use the wipers.

Fords in the Park 2010

Old 30-04-2007, 01:05 AM   #9
Umineko
Karasu

we talking high or low series?
Looking at the scematics for the BEM would appear your problem lies there, Rear wipe is still working you say so that rules out the combination switch, can't remember if there is a fusible link in the engine bay for the wipers be worth checking, the way I read the diagrams you still should have power to one pin of the wiper motor plug, have you checked to make sure you have power to both sides of the wiper fuse?
Old 30-04-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
chief
FTF Club Moderator

It would be low series. My wagon is a forte. There is power to both sides of the wiper fuse. I have checked the engine bay fuse box and there is no mention of a wiper fuse in there. May need to take it to an auto electriction to check the BEM. Maybe a fault code would of been stored.

Fords in the Park 2010

Old 30-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #11
Umineko
Karasu

according to the diagrams on this site the dark blue/ yellow wire on the wiper motor plug should be live +12v looking at this I am inclined to think the wiper park function is to blame (black/pink wire) this provides the park signal from the BEM, first I would checking that you have power through the blue /yellow if there is nothing there then your problem lies elsewhere... sorry mate best I can do at this time of night, will have another look at it after a few hours of Zzzzzzz's
Old 30-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
chief
FTF Club Moderator

I dont blame you for wanting some Zzzzz's. I am off to bed. Thank you very much for your help.

Fords in the Park 2010

Old 30-04-2007, 11:47 AM   #13
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Chief - I sued to get an intermittant thing where the wipers (all of them) wouldn't work. It kept blowing the fuse in the fuse panel. What used to get mine working was jiggling the wires that feed through the firewall area to the wiper motor (right up near the cowling near the bonnet (you do this with the bonnet up), and then I'd replace the fuse, and it wouldn't blow. I now seem to have cured it, as it hasn't happened in a while - though I don't know how I cured it!

It's just a matter of checking the wiring all the way back - if you aren't getting power at the motor wiring, then change the fuse (don't just check it).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2007, 11:13 PM   #14
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Thanks JC, it was a loose connection. Stav gave me a call and dropped in at work today, pulled out the fuse panel and started playing with the connections. He found the problem within 10 minutes.

Stav saw this thread, realised I needed help, gave me a call, within 45 minutes was at my work, fixed the problems in 10 minutes and had a good yarn in the process. That is customer service.

Fords in the Park 2010

Old 01-05-2007, 12:22 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Thanks JC, it was a loose connection. Stav gave me a call and dropped in at work today, pulled out the fuse panel and started playing with the connections. He found the problem within 10 minutes.

Stav saw this thread, realised I needed help, gave me a call, within 45 minutes was at my work, fixed the problems in 10 minutes and had a good yarn in the process. That is customer service.
That is great service. Well done Stav!

You have to wonder how these cars develop loose connections though, don't you? Imagine something with ESC and EBD and whatnot getting a loose connection right when you need it!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 12:54 AM   #16
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad it was just wiring the bcm would have been an expensive exercise and a pain to get the learning done
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2007, 08:08 AM   #17
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Heheh funny stuff that. checked the fuses..ok. Turned on the switch..heard the bcm click with intermittent wipers.Pulled down the fuse box and played witht the wires..bingo !! The wires touched and the wipers started working.Being under the dash i didnt hear or see anything.Lucky Chief was around because he saw them.Otherwise I wouldnt have noticed it..Need a holiday I think..hehe

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 02:12 AM   #18
Scott G
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU wipers not working

Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping you guys can answer me this.......
AU wipers are working but barely moving up & down the windscreen, would this be as simple as the motor has **** itself? Or could it be something else?
Scott G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2016, 10:46 AM   #19
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

Hi Scott, ask Bill he may be able to advise you. Good luck!

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11450623

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)

Last edited by Maka; 31-12-2016 at 10:51 AM.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #20
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hello Scott,
mine were working but on the intermittent cycle in between wipes they would park and then rise up 60- 80 mm before stopping. No other faults, just one of those little annoying things. I ended up getting a whole wiper motor arm assembly from a low km Fairmont and trying that which worked a treat.
cheers
Bill
2 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2017, 07:34 PM   #21
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^^^They do have a coverplate that you can take off that has the metal leaf brushes - sometimes you'll get one that breaks off and upsets motor operation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott G View Post
Hi, I know this is an old thread but I'm hoping you guys can answer me this.......
AU wipers are working but barely moving up & down the windscreen, would this be as simple as the motor has **** itself? Or could it be something else?
Possibly, but the wiper linkage pivots might be gummed up as well. What you can do is remove the plastic cowls, undo the wiper motor mounts to get to the linkage - ball connection, lever off with a screwdriver. Operate the motor unloaded - should only take a few seconds for a rotation. Move the linkage by hand to check if it's free moving.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2017, 05:45 PM   #22
Scott G
Starter Motor

Thanks guys, just got one from the wreckers will put it in soon
Scott G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post