Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #1
xf_vanner

Default Focus shopping

Hi all, in the market for a decent second hand car. Looking at 06/07 focus.
Is there much difference between the diesel and petrol versions?
They've got 180,000 plus on the clock. So any issues or comments regarding ownership and what to look for would be appreciated.

Cheers
xf_vanner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default Re: Focus shopping

I can only comment on the petrol model. Timing chain is due at 10 years, which means the model years you are looking at may be due for timing gear replacement. Worth checking for.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-12-2016, 06:21 PM   #3
frankie86
Sprinting Everywhere!

Brother inlaw has owned his LS focus zetec (06 model) petrol since new, never given him troubles what so ever since he's had it, always serviced on time, currently has around 230,000 kays on it, timing chains and sprokets did not get changed at 200,000, our ford service advisor said if it ever gets noisy then they'll replace them. other than that been a bullet proof little car, he's gotten his moneys worth out of it
frankie86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #4
xf_vanner

Thanks guys, I haven't really looked into them much besides testing an xr5 a few years ago.
They're going for about the same money as ba's at the moment, there's not much in dual fuel cars going around
Old 21-12-2016, 08:33 PM   #5
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

dual fuel cars are on the way out even my local shell servo got rid of its gas tanks. The price is over 50% of petrol so you have little chance of recovering the cost of conversion these days plus they cannot convert direct injection petrol engines apparently
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-12-2016, 09:21 PM   #6
xf_vanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
dual fuel cars are on the way out even my local shell servo got rid of its gas tanks. The price is over 50% of petrol so you have little chance of recovering the cost of conversion these days plus they cannot convert direct injection petrol engines apparently
Yeah we're turning to diesel alot more now. I wouldn't buy a car and get it converted, I do enough ks to justify having dual fuel, my current car is dual fuel. We have plenty of gas tanks here, if the price hit 90c per litre it wouldn't be worth it.
Old 23-12-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My 2008 turbo diesel focus is up to 273000
Between 180 and 220kms I had pedders replace the shocks bushes tie rod ends etc and I had an independent mechanic replace the timing belt water pump and tensioners. Since then pedders replaced one shock under warranty and I had to buy a buy a new battery.
So at 180kms be prepared to spend on all this gear.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 09:49 PM   #8
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The diesel once rolling goes like a train 320 mm of torque means hills don't exist and overtaking is a breeze far superior to the petrol Mazda based engine 2 litre in these model focus
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2016, 10:43 PM   #9
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I had a LV MKII TDCi hatch, 6sp manual. Slightly later than the one you're looking at, Dec 2010 build/July 2011 first rego, and made in South Africa, but the same base platform.

The SA ones were known to be sometimes dodgy but mine was ex Ford Australia exec and any teething or quality issues must have been caught in the first 18 months before I got the car.

Great little car, I did about 100,000km in it and then traded it in on a WZ Fiesta ST last June.

No major issues, and really only one that couldn't be considered 'wear and tear'. I noticed the spare tyre was sitting in a puddle the first winter, apparently there was a known issue with the hatch seal. This was fixed under warranty, with no re-occurrence.

About 18 months before I sold the local Ford guys noticed that the front struts started to leak at the 90k service. Had them replaced by Pedders as they were a lot cheaper and no other issues. Given I live on a dirt potholed road I'm inclined to forgive this one...and the ST takes the long way for that same reason (40 profile tyres are not that forgiving).

Replaced the original OEM battery not long before I sold it, so 5+ years, not too bad. The batteries are slightly larger than a normal Focus battery, and slightly dearer. They're a bit of a pain to fit given this...

Replaced the reversing light switch on the gearbox as the original knackered itself, didn't take long, it was accessible from the front of the motor. Added an extra light as the single reverse light on a LV does jack in illuminating behind and I live in the middle of a paddock.

Tyres were mostly replaced when punctured, not worn out, and they wore evenly, no issues at all. With punctures the rears tended to go flat and I'd end up driving on them at 100km/h and when I pulled over they were knackered.

Burnt no oil, made no suspicious noises.

Fuel economy was amazing and the car went pretty hard for what it was. Fuel economy ranged from around 800km/tank in winter to around 1000k/tank in summer, all on 60 litres of diesel (if I remember correctly).

Added a pair of spotlights to the front, given where I live they paid for themselves several times over. One of the guys on here is an Auto Elec, if you need any advice on how this is done give me a hoy.

The car with a factory-fitted towbar, used to tow a box trailer fully loaded no worries at all.

Lastly I have a spare Haymes manual if you end up with one, drop me a PM and you can have it for nix...they're not that good but better than nothing

...actually just an edit on the 'no suspicious noises'. At 2000 rpm there was a harmonic very high-pitched whistle from somewhere in the turbo circuit. It only existed in a very narrow rev range, like 50-100rpm each side of 2000rpm and you had to have the radio off to hear it. I did query this, was told a hose needed relocating but it was not easy to get to and as it wasn't causing any issues just left it. It never got any louder and it never shifted on the rev range.

Last edited by Ratmick; 23-12-2016 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Added stuff
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2016, 09:05 AM   #10
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on the battery side of things the ve commodore battery fits the diesel focus
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #11
X-AHH
The good, bad and fugly
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
I had a LV MKII TDCi hatch, 6sp manual. Slightly later than the one you're looking at, Dec 2010 build/July 2011 first rego, and made in South Africa, but the same base platform.

The SA ones were known to be sometimes dodgy but mine was ex Ford Australia exec and any teething or quality issues must have been caught in the first 18 months before I got the car.

Great little car, I did about 100,000km in it and then traded it in on a WZ Fiesta ST last June.

No major issues, and really only one that couldn't be considered 'wear and tear'. I noticed the spare tyre was sitting in a puddle the first winter, apparently there was a known issue with the hatch seal. This was fixed under warranty, with no re-occurrence.

About 18 months before I sold the local Ford guys noticed that the front struts started to leak at the 90k service. Had them replaced by Pedders as they were a lot cheaper and no other issues. Given I live on a dirt potholed road I'm inclined to forgive this one...and the ST takes the long way for that same reason (40 profile tyres are not that forgiving).

Replaced the original OEM battery not long before I sold it, so 5+ years, not too bad. The batteries are slightly larger than a normal Focus battery, and slightly dearer. They're a bit of a pain to fit given this...

Replaced the reversing light switch on the gearbox as the original knackered itself, didn't take long, it was accessible from the front of the motor. Added an extra light as the single reverse light on a LV does jack in illuminating behind and I live in the middle of a paddock.

Tyres were mostly replaced when punctured, not worn out, and they wore evenly, no issues at all. With punctures the rears tended to go flat and I'd end up driving on them at 100km/h and when I pulled over they were knackered.

Burnt no oil, made no suspicious noises.

Fuel economy was amazing and the car went pretty hard for what it was. Fuel economy ranged from around 800km/tank in winter to around 1000k/tank in summer, all on 60 litres of diesel (if I remember correctly).

Added a pair of spotlights to the front, given where I live they paid for themselves several times over. One of the guys on here is an Auto Elec, if you need any advice on how this is done give me a hoy.

The car with a factory-fitted towbar, used to tow a box trailer fully loaded no worries at all.

Lastly I have a spare Haymes manual if you end up with one, drop me a PM and you can have it for nix...they're not that good but better than nothing

...actually just an edit on the 'no suspicious noises'. At 2000 rpm there was a harmonic very high-pitched whistle from somewhere in the turbo circuit. It only existed in a very narrow rev range, like 50-100rpm each side of 2000rpm and you had to have the radio off to hear it. I did query this, was told a hose needed relocating but it was not easy to get to and as it wasn't causing any issues just left it. It never got any louder and it never shifted on the rev range.

We have one of the SA built (11/2010) models and very few problems @ 100,000Km.
We also looked at earlier models when deciding what to buy but in the end it was a matter of either spending a few more dollars first up or after a year or two.
Glad now that we dug a bit deeper into our pocket at the purchase stage or we would probably have a 10 (instead of 6) year old car with a few issues and lower resale value for the same money spent.
It's up to you whether you spend your money now or later but just try to think forward a couple of years.....
Old 26-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #12
xf_vanner

Thank you for the feedback. I was driving a 94 ed v8 on dual fuel till the auto decided to stay in 3rd. Got quoted $2200 for a supply and fitted job, not worth it for what the car is worth now.
I was looking for a ba dual fuel due to the ks I can tend to clock up, and not wanting to spend $80-100 to fill the tank. Finding one with relatively low ks has been the hard part.

Hence why I started looking at a focus,fiestas look too small. I don't need a big car, usually just me and the mrs in the car, but most of my driving is highway so diesel is an option if its within the budget.
Can't really spend more then $4500, which leaves me limited.
Old 26-12-2016, 04:31 PM   #13
Ippy289XP
Banned

We have an LS Petrol Focus.

Biggest piece of **** we have ever owned.

Never again!
Ippy289XP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post