Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-01-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Coolant Sensor

Guys,

Can you remove and re-use the coolant sensor from the original Ford AU series 3, 5.0 over flow bottle and re-fit to a new overflow bottle, (after market), the new bottle does have provision for the sensor. If so, how are they removed, it appears to be well and truly stuck in there.

Regards
Edxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Coolant Sensor

I did just that on my EF wagon so I'd think the AU would be the same. The Sensor sits on a rubber seal and is held in by a threaded plug. You unscrew that plug.
If it is that tight then it may be easier to get a new sensor - Pretty sure all those bits were available on Ebay. Well they were a few years ago when I fitted a new coolant bottle - I tried the aftermarket one but it kept leaking so eventually I went back to an original one.

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6WGN,

Did you just unscrew the sensor with pliers?

Cheers
Old 13-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #4
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah use a pair of pointed nose pliers. Spread the pliers so that each point goes into a hole in the white ring. Then turn the pliers anti-clockwise.
Once loose the ring can be unscrewed and removed. The sensor will just pull out and there will also be a rubber grommet - this needs to be fitted to your new bottle.
When you put it back together again, just be careful to put the sensor back in straight and level otherwise you may end up with a slight leak.

My Gallery Photos Here
Old 13-01-2017, 11:50 PM   #5
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers,

It's the sensor that I am having problems with, is it threaded or does it just sit there. Mine won't budge, unless it's threaded which I haven't tried to turn yet. The white ring comes away no problems.

Regards
Old 14-01-2017, 12:44 AM   #6
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh Ok so you've got the ring off - sorry didn't realise that.

If I recall correctly the sensor should just be a push in / pull out fitment, I don't remember unscrewing that.

My Gallery Photos Here
Old 16-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

Push/pull. Doesnt screw in at all. They can be quite stubborn after being in there for a while. (Snapped my ef one this way.)
Current Mods: Fairmont Cluster, LED's Changed to Purple, Lukey Competition Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Cat, Hi-Stall Converter, ED Box with FG internals, AUIII VCT Fuel Rail + Injectors, F6 Fuel Regulator, Stereo upgrade, Aftermarket LPG.

Awaiting Wife Approval Mods:

TE50 Front Bar, AU Tickford/SR Interior, Roof Racks, Slimline Weathershields, 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, 27mm Front Sway Bar, Other Shiny things!
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #8
Edxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh, OK I wasn't too sure how they are fitted, mine is wedged in tight. I will give it another go keep in mind the sensor may snap.

Cheers for the input Frystorm