Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-12-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
xr8cam

Default Diesel is nearly dead?

Europe to ban diesel fueled cars in major cities as early as 2018. Headlines all over the media the other day.It has always suprised me how quickly diesel took off. I always thought the popularity was to do with these cars being cheaper to make, easy torque, little R&D, all the reasons car co's would market these as the next big thing. Now it appears that diesel is not the clean fuel we have been led to believe it to be, with VW fudging results a while back & plenty of conjecture to be found. It seems that because diesel emits more pollution in operation but less over time due to less fuel use, is not all its cracked up to be. Will be interesting to watch what the states & here do. There could be a hell of a lot of high end european diesels & turbo 4's going very cheaply sooner than we think. I wonder what the car sales folk are telling potential buyers?

Last edited by xr8cam; 07-12-2016 at 07:25 PM.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #2
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Diesel is nearly dead?

I still like the way they drive. I thought the Astra TDis were fun to drive with the manual gearbox. I love my 6.6L diesel, it's just so effortless. I think the only thing that can really replace it is full electric or FCV. Eventually, they probably will. Just look at the Nikola One.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-12-2016, 07:13 PM   #3
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If Europe was to ban diesel are from major cities that would take half of their cars out of circulation. Diesel car ownership is massive in Europe.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And yet, in a big heavy car, diesel just destroys the equivalent petrol in terms of economy when you throw stop/start in and/or remove freeway. Its no contest. Yes, the diesel has a lot less power, but even lower power petrols seem to use way more fuel around town than a diesel. Considering traffic only ever seems to get worse, it's very likely I'll be shopping for a diesel next time.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #5
xr8cam

I should point out I have nothing against diesel cars or the people that buy them. I have posted this because I thought it was typical of governments going off half cocked and I thought a lot of people would be interested.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:27 PM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

Turbo petrol engines have come a long way. They now make good torque down low, have little to no lag and increase fuel efficiency through downsizing the engine capacity while still making decent power. So no need for diesels in small cars now.

Not gonna kill off diesel SUVs or trucks any time soon though.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2016, 07:45 PM   #7
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Diesel is dead. Pull the other one mate. Farms, trucks, trains. The actual machines that keep this country fed, shelves stocked, freight moved. All run on diesel. Diesel cars were only ever a yuppie type fad anyway.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:47 PM   #8
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
Diesel is dead. Pull the other one mate. Farms, trucks, trains. The actual machines that keep this country fed, shelves stocked, freight moved. All run on diesel. Diesel cars were only ever a yuppie type fad anyway.
Uh - what about ships- the things that move coal, food, products between countries across the world.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
asagaai is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 07:57 PM   #9
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A mate works for BMW and he was told the proposed next Euro emissions was going to be very difficult pass with a diesel.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackf6 View Post
G'day...I totally agree . As a classic example rail freight across the country is essential . It's way cheaper per tonne than road freight..The mining diesel electrics locomotives upwards of 6000 horse power ie BHP Billiton , Rio Tinto , Hammersley Iron are phenomenal and state based general freight services are hugely important to us all.. Many passenger services too.. The the iconic Road Trains , Then the bus services , vast earth moving needs to keep the country ticking along..
Will be interesting to see where Europe heads on the passenger car bans re diesel ... For anyone interested here's a link to a vid on a world record shift of almost 100,000 tonnes a few years ago.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZgodWbEuG4 ...Imagine getting caught at the crossing on this one if you were late for work...Cheers Rod...
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #11
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

ships - no emissions legislation.
trucks - 'relatively' easier to meet emissions on a big low revving engine
cars/suvs - much as I love the torque, chucking 10 grands worth of after treatment on them to meet standards doesn't make any sense.

they are going....

and most Eu major cities already have some form of car restriction. banning private diesels won't impact many people too much, especially with the good public transport network in most Eu cities.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2016, 08:21 PM   #12
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

a relatively few commercial vehicles can afford to be more polluting individually than millions of passenger cars. Once passenger car diesels have gone we may perhaps see no further tightening of commercial emission legislation
Old 07-12-2016, 08:36 PM   #13
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We don't have to sit here and cop what direction other countries decide to take the motor vehicle industry in.
We have our own motor vehicle industry here, and we can make what ever we damn well............hang on a second...
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 09:05 PM   #14
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In cars, yes.
In everything bigger, no.

I am sort of sick of driving diesel every day. I think Ill get a petrol next time. But as a fan of 4x4, I'm not sure how that will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day...I totally agree . As a classic example rail freight across the country is essential . It's way cheaper per tonne than road freight..The mining diesel electrics locomotives upwards of 6000 horse power ie BHP Billiton , Rio Tinto ,
I once figured out that diesel electric coal trains are more fuel efficient per tonne than a Prius.

It's also amazing how far trains can roll once they get going if the terrain is right. I know around here there is one part when a 10,000 tonne train can roll for about 30kms of a 40km long section. That's just free momentum.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think this is being looked at the wrong way. They are great engines other than the pollution, so rather than ban them solve the pollution problem.

Some sort of filter on the exhaust???

When I was in uni Mr Dyson himself gave us a lecture. He told us he had put forward proposals to the roads people of a filtration system for the tunnel exhaust stacks (all the talk on the media at the time).

They had developed a filtration system that could filter cigarette smoke from the air!

So, why not just work out a way to build a filter into future cars?

Or is that too simplistic a solution?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 09:28 PM   #16
Deo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
a 10,000 tonne train can roll for about 30kms of a 40km long section.
That'd be in either direction then?

Sent from my GTi-9305 using bloody Tapatalk
MC Ink Blue Diesel Hatch
Deo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 PM   #17
xr8cam

Even though I put a ? mark after the statement and it is a story about European cities, most miss the point and become aggressive. Read whats in front of you people and try to remember someone else's post is not a personal attack.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-12-2016, 10:19 PM   #18
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

1. WHO changed diesel exhaust fumes rating from Probable to Proven carcinogenic.
2. the ban on diesel cars would only affect new sales, most likely because of the legal ramifications from 1 ? very unlikely it would be a retrospective law for current reg cars
3. Diesel-Electric locomotives are cheap because of the electric part - which is the same reason the TGV's and bullet trains are very economical at 180-217mph compared to all other forms of moving a thousand people or so at a time.

having said all of that, I find my diesel banger a good thing in the country.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2016, 11:49 PM   #19
superyob
Banned

Isn't the current diesel debate about the efficient way it's combusted in a common rail diesel? Older diesels with jerk type injector pumps and sooty exhausts posed no health risk to the human body, but modern diesels produce such fine residue that it is capable of passing through the lungs and into the bloodstream. As is my understanding...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2016, 12:11 AM   #20
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I think this is being looked at the wrong way. They are great engines other than the pollution, so rather than ban them solve the pollution problem.

Some sort of filter on the exhaust???

When I was in uni Mr Dyson himself gave us a lecture. He told us he had put forward proposals to the roads people of a filtration system for the tunnel exhaust stacks (all the talk on the media at the time).

They had developed a filtration system that could filter cigarette smoke from the air!

So, why not just work out a way to build a filter into future cars?

Or is that too simplistic a solution?
Like a Diesel Particulate Filter that is on many diesels now?
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2016, 08:30 AM   #21
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
In cars, yes.
In everything bigger, no.

I am sort of sick of driving diesel every day. I think Ill get a petrol next time. But as a fan of 4x4, I'm not sure how that will work.

I once figured out that diesel electric coal trains are more fuel efficient per tonne than a Prius.

It's also amazing how far trains can roll once they get going if the terrain is right. I know around here there is one part when a 10,000 tonne train can roll for about 30kms of a 40km long section. That's just free momentum.
What do you think has been the "cheaper" car to own in your personal experience. Diesel or petrol? Factor in all costs.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:28 AM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Europe to ban diesel fueled cars in major cities as early as 2018. Headlines all over the media the other day.It has always suprised me how quickly diesel took off. I always thought the popularity was to do with these cars being cheaper to make, easy torque, little R&D, all the reasons car co's would market these as the next big thing. Now it appears that diesel is not the clean fuel we have been led to believe it to be, with VW fudging results a while back & plenty of conjecture to be found. It seems that because diesel emits more pollution in operation but less over time due to less fuel use, is not all its cracked up to be. Will be interesting to watch what the states & here do. There could be a hell of a lot of high end european diesels & turbo 4's going very cheaply sooner than we think. I wonder what the car sales folk are telling potential buyers?
Explain cheaper to make?
also banning in all major City's wont affect too many people that don't drive in any city.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2016, 09:38 AM   #23
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Diesels are cheap to run until something goes wrong.
Old 08-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #24
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not really much different to many petrol cars these days. both have turbos, catalysts, particulate filters, high pressure pumps, injectors....
Old 08-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Like a Diesel Particulate Filter that is on many diesels now?
No,

Something that is more serviceable and cheaper to maintain.

Modern cars with a DPF are still posing a problem with emissions so it has to be something on top of what is being currently used.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
No,

Something that is more serviceable and cheaper to maintain.

Modern cars with a DPF are still posing a problem with emissions so it has to be something on top of what is being currently used.
LPG as part of the mixture
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #27
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai
Uh - what about ships- the things that move coal, food, products between countries across the world.
Ships don't run on diesel, they use heavy fuel oil (HFO)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
ships - no emissions legislation.
Wrong, ships at sea have to comply with MARPOL
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2016, 01:23 PM   #28
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Bunker fuel is basically just thick, less distilled diesel fuel though.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2016, 01:26 PM   #29
xr8cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Bunker fuel is basically just thick, less distilled diesel fuel though.
Sorry to jump off topic, that dog in your photo. Do you know anything about it?
Old 08-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #30
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Sorry to jump off topic, that dog in your photo. Do you know anything about it?
Nothing, other than the fact that he is my animal spirit.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post