Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Ford Forums Central > Site Support

Site Support If something isn't working or you have a suggestion ( a nice one !! ) let us know here.

Old 23-12-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Some changes

Good afternoon

In order to resolve a couple of issues, the following changes have been made.

1. The post count requirement for the FS areas had not been working - this has now been resolved.

2. PM notifications were sent with the full PM content. As this is effectively a breach of the Privacy Act, the PM content has been removed from the email.

3. The above change will also impact new post notifications for subscribed thread as they use the same code to send the actual text so these will now just arrive with a link to the thread.

There will be some other minor changes made over the next few days and I will update this thread accordingly.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-12-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Default Re: Some changes

Russ, if you don't mind me asking, which bit of the Privacy Act is breached if the PM content is displayed in emails?
Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Thanks Russ.
Old 23-12-2012, 06:13 PM   #4
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ride View Post
Russ, if you don't mind me asking, which bit of the Privacy Act is breached if the PM content is displayed in emails?
In a strict sense (as far as the Commonwealth Act) is concerned we are compliant. However, the Victorian and Queensland Acts and their respective COP's (which we state that we comply with) prohibit the transmission of personal identification via plain text email.

As PM's contain telephone numbers, addresses and other means of identifying the individual we are erring on the side of caution.

I guess it depends what a reasonable expectation is - but based on the fact that the previous vbulletin version didn't include the email text that is probably the expectation of most here.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 23-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
In a strict sense (as far as the Commonwealth Act) is concerned we are compliant. However, the Victorian and Queensland Acts and their respective COP's (which we state that we comply with) prohibit the transmission of personal identification via plain text email.

As PM's contain telephone numbers, addresses and other means of identifying the individual we are erring on the side of caution.

I guess it depends what a reasonable expectation is - but based on the fact that the previous vbulletin version didn't include the email text that is probably the expectation of most here.

Cheers
Russ
Having just gone through some bits and pieces at work relating to the Privacy Act and the NPPs, my interpretation is that if the entity which holds the information (aka FordForums management) comply and are not capturing/using/transmitting the information themselves, then you can not be held to account for information that members pass to others about themselves (even though the mailing system is a site function).
Old 24-12-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

I suspect you are right however it's a relatively minor inconvenience to have to view a PM so it is probably better for us to be more compliant than we need to be.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 24-12-2012, 12:40 PM   #7
BlueBear
Shockwave

I miss the preview we used to get in the subscribed thread notifications, now I have to check the thread itself just to find someone has said thanks, or it's just some trivial stuff that wasn't worth the trouble.
Is there any way this can be changed back again please?

Cheers,
BlueBear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-12-2012, 03:59 PM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

I will try - I've added some code but I'm not sure what it will do as yet. Won't know until someone replies to a subscribed thread!

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 24-12-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Quote:
I will try - I've added some code but I'm not sure what it will do as yet. Won't know until someone replies to a subscribed thread!

Cheers
Russ
Old 24-12-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
BlueBear
Shockwave

Quote:

Cheers
Russ
Thanx Russ,
Your message came through with the notification email, so maybe it's working??

Appreciate you taking the time,

Cheers,
Old 24-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
BlueBear
Shockwave

Looks to have just been that 1 time Russ, all notifications since come through without any preview.

Cheers,
Old 25-12-2012, 01:12 PM   #12
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Thanks Russ was wondering why the email notification was different answers me perfectly
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
gtfpv
GT

hi Russ . i have noticed that sometimes lately after i post in a thread , the thread dissapears from the menu , until another user replies after .
When the thread disappears i can find it by checking the forum topic page/ OR THE find all posts by gtfpv . but it doesnt appear under the new posts menu . this is a random inconsistant issue that has only appeared since the update a few weeks ago .
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-12-2012, 09:08 PM   #14
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

I am getting funny email notifications when it is a thread I am subscribed too. It has some coding appearing on it as well as the message. Just letting you know Russ.

Cheers
Col
Old 25-12-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Ride
Stay Classy ™

Same here, getting the following message:

Here is the message that has just been posted:
fetch_trimmed_title (, [ = 20], [ = true])
Old 25-12-2012, 10:48 PM   #16
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Just playing with changes to allow the post notifications to contain text while the PM ones don't.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

5 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even working on things Christmas day, I hope everyone appreciates the work you do to keep this forum as good as it is

Thanks Russ
Quote:
Just playing with changes to allow the post notifications to contain text while the PM ones don't.

Cheers
Russ

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #18
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
hi Russ . i have noticed that sometimes lately after i post in a thread , the thread dissapears from the menu , until another user replies after .
When the thread disappears i can find it by checking the forum topic page/ OR THE find all posts by gtfpv . but it doesnt appear under the new posts menu . this is a random inconsistant issue that has only appeared since the update a few weeks ago .
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hi . is this now how the forum is going to operate ? i should clarify this is not random but continual . i dont like this feature , just wondering if you see it as a problem or a purpose added feature RUSS . cheers
Old 28-12-2012, 08:02 AM   #19
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
hi . is this now how the forum is going to operate ? i should clarify this is not random but continual . i dont like this feature , just wondering if you see it as a problem or a purpose added feature RUSS . cheers
It's actually doing what it should do - the thread is obviously marked 'read' as you posted in it and thus it won't appear until someone else replies in which case the thread is then 'new' again.

The actual discussion thread on this topic is here

Even though it is working as designed, I'm going to put it back the (incorrect) way it was given the angst it seems to be causing.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

This user likes this post:
Old 28-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #20
gtfpv
GT

thanks Russ .
Old 28-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #21
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Hmm, am I the only one that's getting blank email notifications ?

Old 28-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #22
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Hmm, am I the only one that's getting blank email notifications ?

If you read above you'll have an answer - I'm trying to find a way not to do it with PM's while still doing it with subscribed threads - so far without success.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 28-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
If you read above you'll have an answer

Cheers
Russ
Read...READ? I'm a Truck Driver, I'm lucky I can talk real proper English like others does!

(Now, where's a rock I can go crawl under)
Old 14-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
draxx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still no solution to this Russ? Really missing having the thread notifications with preview