Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-12-2015, 08:45 AM   #121
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 
Default Re: Ford Everest catches fire on Test Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
I didn't bring up bush fires, so perhaps you should ask the person who did.

You can't blame me for being skeptical when you consider Ford has hardly acted honestly and ethically with matters like this in the past. I'm not going to blindly believe everything they say and defend them like some fan boys here.

You'd have to admit that it's all a little too convenient for them to come out and say it was just a loose battery terminal when there is no onus on them to show proof.
Ford do employ and have on hand experts in not only Fire but also crash investigation. I have attended a similar training course and there were Ford employees there that knew a hell of a lot about fire and how to investigate causes. The vehicle was not a pile of total ash, there were alot of clues and even I could tell where (but not how) the fire started.

Do you honestly think that Ford would cover up such a finding if it was something else and risk possibly one of the best cars they have released lately wit a fire risk and possibly kill people in the process. Dont think so!! You know by the fact that there are recalls on cars by Ford, that they fix and advise any faults they find. This would be no different.

Pull your head in..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 09:07 AM   #122
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
Do you honestly think that Ford would cover up such a finding if it was something else and risk possibly one of the best cars they have released lately wit a fire risk and possibly kill people in the process.
Yep:

Quote:
Likewise in the Pinto case, Ford’s management whatever its exact reasoning, decided to stick with the original design and not upgrade the Pinto’s fuel tank, despite the test results reported by its engineers. Here is the aftermath of Ford’s decision:

Between 1971 and 1978, the Pinto was responsible for a number of fire-related deaths. Ford puts the figure at 23; its critics say the figure is closer to 500. According to the sworn testimony of Ford engineers, 95 percent of the fatalities would have survived if Ford had located the fuel tank over the axle (as it had done on its Capri automobiles).

NHTSA finally adopted a 30-mph collision standard in 1976. The pinto then acquired a rupture-proof fuel tank. In 1978 Ford was obliged to recall all 1971-76 Pintos for fuel-tank modifications.

Between 1971 and 1978, approximately fifty lawsuits were brought against Ford in connection with rear-end accidents in the Pinto. In the Richard Grimshaw case, in addition to awarding over $3 million in compensatory damages to the victims of a Pinto crash, the jury awarded a landmark $125 million in punitive damages against Ford. The judge reduced punitive damages to 3.5 million.

On August 10, 1978, eighteen-year-old Judy Ulrich, her sixteen-year-old sister Lynn, and their eighteen-year-old cousin Donna, in their 1973 Ford Pinto, were struck from the rear by a van near Elkhart, Indiana. The gas tank of the Pinto exploded on impact. In the fire that resulted, the three teenagers were burned to death. Ford was charged with criminal homicide. The judge in the case advised jurors that Ford should be convicted if it had clearly disregarded the harm that might result from its actions, and that disregard represented a substantial deviation from acceptable standards of conduct. On March 13, 1980, the jury found Ford not guilty of criminal homicide.

For its part, Ford has always denied that the Pinto is unsafe compared with other cars of its type and era. The company also points out that in every model year the Pinto met or surpassed the government’s own standards. But what the company doesn’t say is that successful lobbying by it and its industry associates was responsible for delaying for seven years the adoption of any NHTSA crash standard. Furthermore, Ford’s critics claim that there were more than forty European and Japanese models in the Pinto price and weight range with safer gas-tank position. “Ford made an extremely irresponsible decision,” concludes auto safety expert Byron Bloch, “when they placed such a weak tank in such a ridiculous location in such a soft rear end.”
http://philosophia.uncg.edu/phi361-m...he-ford-pinto/

But that doesn't mean thats what happened in this case, seems to be unique in that given that how many Rangers are on the road with a similar or same engine bay there have been little issues.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 09:12 AM   #123
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Yep:

http://philosophia.uncg.edu/phi361-m...he-ford-pinto/

But that doesn't mean thats what happened in this case, seems to be unique in that given that how many Rangers are on the road with a similar or same engine bay there have been little issues.
That was the 70's, they were most probably all stoned anyway as they say if you remember the 70's you were not there lol..

I think they would have learnt by then...
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 09:50 AM   #124
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
I've seen a loose terminal get that hot that it melted the wire so it's plausible. It may not actually be the terminal directly on the battery. My guess is it's the next connection along, at the back of the terminal, probably the alternator wire.

Haters gonna hate.
There are a few different 'busbars' on the the electrical system. Seems one wasn't connected.

Ford will write up SOP for this and send it to all the relevant personal.

Quote:
That was the 70's, they were most probably all stoned anyway as they say if you remember the 70's you were not there lol..

Few other companies had the same issue. That's why the US changed the rules over there.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:17 AM   #125
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Alf Stewart Approves.......
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 10:44 AM   #126
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Ford employed qualified forensic scientists. How can their findings be proven?
Ford have a track record of denials and cover ups. Territory ball joints spring to mind.
I don't believe a single word that comes out of their mouths.
Given your track record for seemingly bashing almost anything concerning Ford products, we would have to wonder why you're still a member here.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:32 AM   #127
FlipXW
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Given your track record for seemingly bashing almost anything concerning Ford products, we would have to wonder why you're still a member here.
His bashing seems to be of anything thats not Australian. Extremely sour about the boys packing up shop here it would seem.
FlipXW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 12:07 PM   #128
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

It was within spec nothing to see here move along…...

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:09 PM   #129
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So your only purpose on this forum is to Troll Threads
on anything that's not large rwd sedans/wagons/utes

I note you even dislike the Territory.

there's an old saying if you have nothing good to say then shut the F up
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #130
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And? Your point is completely irrelevant in the context.
I thought Australian cars are superior compared to Thai junk. I wouldn't expect an Australian car to have common faults.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:18 PM   #131
GCRXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep.

Sour that the only vehicles I am interested in are being discontinued (large rwd sedans/wagons/utes).
Sour that the Australian car industry has been killed.
Sour that Australian jobs have been lost
Sour at the contempt Ford have shown its Australian customers by charging exorbitant prices for cheaply built Thai third world .
Sour at the way they always dodge and sweep issues under the carpet.

The list goes on

So....would you be tempted, to tell us what you drive?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 09-12-2015 at 04:11 PM.
GCRXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #132
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

Quote:
Yep.

Sour that the only vehicles I am interested in are being discontinued (large rwd sedans/wagons/utes).
Sour at the contempt Ford have shown its Australian customers by charging exorbitant prices for cheaply built Thai third world .

The list goes on

**** me drunk how do you sleep at night?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 09-12-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: edited quote
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 01:47 PM   #133
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I thought I spent most of the 70's in the military, but maybe I was just drunk...
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 03:02 PM   #134
munners

Quote:
Yep.

Sour at the contempt Ford have shown its Australian customers by charging exorbitant prices for cheaply built Thai third world garbage.

The list goes on
My Ranger is Thai built third world garbage?

You sir, are an idiot.
munners is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #135
Benno91

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...nnection-37276
Benno91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #136
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep.

The list goes on
You do know Ford is a US owned company right?

Last edited by SpoolMan; 09-12-2015 at 04:11 PM. Reason: edited quote
barra240t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 04:08 PM   #137
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Guys can we stick to the topic, its drifting to matters that have no consequence to this thread.
Editing and or thread closure will happen if the path continues, quality informative posts is what people want to read, not quantity..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-12-2015, 04:52 PM   #138
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yep.

The list goes on
And what of people like me who are employed in development of these vehicles? There are over 1000 of us, more than are actually employed at the Broadmeadows plant these days.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 06:12 PM   #139
munners

I read it was a battery clamp had come loose? Anyone have any more info? I mean it sounds like a pretty easy mistake to make?

Last edited by munners; 09-12-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:18 PM   #140
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by munners View Post
I heard it was a battery clamp had come loose? Anyone have any more info?
Not keeping up, are you ?

Post 109
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1444931&page=4

And page 5, post 146
Old 09-12-2015, 06:20 PM   #141
Davehoos
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Maybe they should look at the Ranger XL Plus. It has most of the things you're asking for including duel battery set up and wiring for driving lights, work lights and beacons. It also has more aggressive tyres and canvas seat covers.
Not heard of this option. It is the same spec as hilux we purchase. On line there is no mention of beacon or work light option other than you can connect to the additional battery with a stand alone wiring. Its listed online for more than $10K what we pay for our fleet vehicles.

I have seen some new look single cab recently in this spec used by some of our contractors.
Davehoos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 06:51 PM   #142
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I checked out the battery on an Everest whilst waiting for a service at a dealer today. If you look at the battery the positive cable is not like an old XY. There is a main cable and then a metal buzz bar holding about 5 or 6 more wires with bolts as obvious power feeds to other items.

From what I can make out from the article it looks like one of these other wires were accidently left off after a battery change. Although left off the wire terminal was still touching and arching against the battery and the heat/spark created from this was the cause of the fire. So not just leaving a normal battery clamp loose like we all know from the old days.

Easily done I guess, but I feel for the poor employee who accidently did this. I bet he will never leave it off again!

Glad no body got hurt and although unfortunate, the concern was a bad accident and not a severe product issue!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #143
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
I checked out the battery on an Everest whilst waiting for a service at a dealer today. If you look at the battery the positive cable is not like an old XY. There is a main cable and then a metal buzz bar holding about 5 or 6 more wires with bolts as obvious power feeds to other items.

From what I can make out from the article it looks like one of these other wires were accidently left off after a battery change. Although left off the wire terminal was still touching and arching against the battery and the heat/spark created from this was the cause of the fire. So not just leaving a normal battery clamp loose like we all know from the old days.

Easily done I guess, but I feel for the poor employee who accidently did this. I bet he will never leave it off again!

Glad no body got hurt and although unfortunate, the concern was a bad accident and not a severe product issue!

So do they know who did it? Hate to be that guy.
Top_Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #144
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.everestpartssupplies.com/...inal-universal
Old 10-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #145
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

http://www.carsales.com.au/editorial...xploder-100523
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #146
munners

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Not keeping up, are you ?

Post 109
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1444931&page=4

And page 5, post 146
Sorry, my bad. I didn't explain what I was trying to say. Surely there had to be something else to it? If a battery terminal being loose (or any fault really) is sufficient to turn the car into a ball of flames surely there would be a reasonable amount of warning.

The article states

"warning lights started to appear before the instrument display went blank and the engine shut down.

“As I rolled to a stop it just burst into flames,” said Mr Barnwell. “There were flames licking out from under the bonnet.”

Did this all happen in 10 seconds or 5 minutes?
Old 11-12-2015, 10:41 AM   #147
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if warning lights appear to flash abnormally and a vehicle seems to be not running right , that is probably a clue to perhaps stop and investigate further, but if i remember the article correctly ......the dude was on the job and proceeded as normal ,
the thing to remember is little fires turn into big fires ,
imo it would depend totally on the electrical fault, wiring can take a while to cook or cook straight away .
As an example i dropped a spanner in an engine bay of a newish early escort many years ago , by the chance the spanner hit the alternator terminal and the chassis rail and welded it self there ,
i did not see where it went for a couple of seconds , by the time i grabbed the spanner in a matter of seconds elapsed with large current available at the alternator terminal wiring was cooking/had cooked through the insulation, it depends entirely on the nature of the fault as to how long it takes to get the BBQ going..
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 12:27 PM   #148
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
As an example i dropped a spanner in an engine bay of a newish early escort many years ago , by the chance the spanner hit the alternator terminal and the chassis rail and welded it self there ,
LOL I did the same thing on a MKII escort many years ago. it also had a fire later on but for different reasons.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 12:53 PM   #149
Canyonero
Wow, this is roomy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olds View Post
Canyonero !
Can I help you?

MINE: Escape ZG Trend 2.0L EcoBoost AWD, Magnetic with Technology Pack, Power Tailgate and Keyless Entry

SWMBO: "The Canyonero" Territory SY TS AWD, 7 seats, Mercury Silver (Now gone to a new home, Feb 2024)
Canyonero is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2015, 03:32 PM   #150
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

I remember when I used to deal with the Holden engineering dept. they told us we were not allowed to use the word fire in any correspondence. All such issues were to be called "thermal incidences".

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post