Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-12-2015, 10:33 PM   #31
theBlake

Default Re: Mitsi Kills Lancer..Production to end ???

my missus drives an 07 Lancer, and it really shows how much of a dog my 06 Focus is.
In the years we have had both, it scary how much extra the Focus has cost me in maintenance.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:00 AM   #32
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempted View Post
Who cares, they're both ugly Korean pieces of crap.
That may have been true 10-15 years ago, but have a good look now.

I'm no fan imported or FWD 4-cyl cars, but I don't see a great difference in build quality or reliability between the Hyundai/Kia range & the Toyota/ Mazda stuff. Don't get me started on the Euro-trash.

I try to be as un-biased as I can be, but I've probably been in the motor trade for too long, now over 45 years BTW.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 12:47 PM   #33
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If we are to talk about a good small car what would it be ? discounting high powered turbos, but just family type small car that people are looking to nowadays.

Mitsubishi to dump a Lancer size type car sounds weird to just toss such a car away nowadays.

Mitsubishi claim they need help for the new project to get under way and that has fell through.

So what they do nowadays is build a body with two or three other car makers and go from their with their own skin covering it and so on, as this cut's down the cost and they can keep competitive in the pricing.

Peugeot 306 was the most impressive ride and handling small FWD car I have ever been in, that rear end set up was magic, so when you hit the brakes hard the rear squat down to the road, not launching up in the air like all the other rubbish does.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #34
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBlake View Post
my missus drives an 07 Lancer, and it really shows how much of a dog my 06 Focus is.
In the years we have had both, it scary how much extra the Focus has cost me in maintenance.
90s lancers are near on indestructible. Would be right up there with falcon in terms of affordability to maintain, as well as durability.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2015, 05:14 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I've seen all I need to see.

They are horrible to look at with their over the top, try hard curvy styling, horrible to drive with gutless engines and diabolical handling and seem to be the car of choice for clueless numpties who have no idea about cars or how to drive.
A lot of people also think that about the AU (I'm not one,) and whilst everyone is entitled to their opinion, everyone sees car styling differently.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:31 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've seen all I need to see.

They are horrible to look at with their over the top, try hard curvy styling, horrible to drive with gutless engines and diabolical handling and seem to be the car of choice for clueless numpties who have no idea about cars or how to drive. IIRC Hyundai and Kia were rated below average for reliability in the latest surveys.
All the blind praise they have been receiving lately make me think that Hyundai must be putting something in the water supply.
Hyundai and Kia make decent cars these days.

Do you like any car in the world that isn't a Falcon?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 PM   #37
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We just bought a Lancer GSR hatchback back in July
Sure it's no FGF6 but it's a 2.4lt with paddleshift, 18inch alloys & 45 series tyres.
We picked ours up for $18990 driveaway.
So far it's a good little unit.
Surprising that they'd dump it
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #38
minheim

I picked up a new GSR in June 2014. Lots of features and tremendous value though the seats could be a bit more comfortable. Being a a hatch is handy for carting larger items and the 2.4 is powerful enough for most needs . Surprised they are dropping the model without sourcing a replacement even though it is now a bit long in the tooth but they have freshened up looks over the years and added features. Guess they will run them for a couple more years but can't see Mitsubishi dealers being happy to lose them.
minheim is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 11:09 AM   #39
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
I picked up a new GSR in June 2014. Lots of features and tremendous value though the seats could be a bit more comfortable. Being a a hatch is handy for carting larger items and the 2.4 is powerful enough for most needs . Surprised they are dropping the model without sourcing a replacement even though it is now a bit long in the tooth but they have freshened up looks over the years and added features. Guess they will run them for a couple more years but can't see Mitsubishi dealers being happy to lose them.
I have a 2015 GSR and the front seats are better than the SV6 VF commodore as the bloody things can't adjust the front tilt of the seat as it is on to much of an angle it should be a bit more flatter as it's annoying my legs on a long drive gets on my goat and the adjustability of the recline is 3rd rate as it's not totally adjustable to where you want it, my other commodore had great seats.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #40
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Hyundai and Kia make decent cars these days.

Do you like any car in the world that isn't a Falcon?
Agreed, some small minded people are stuck in the 90's/early 2000's when they weren't such good cars...

These days though they make cars every bit as good as other cars in the segment...

In my last job I was forced into a Hyundai after the company decided to downsize us from Commodores to smaller cars (mine was 2014 I30 Tourer Diesel)... It was a bloody good, well built little car.. Plenty of space, good equipment for a base model and the little 1.6litre diesel was an honest performer...

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 12:26 PM   #41
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seems a few others also agree that the GSR with the 2.4lt is a good package.
We drovethe Mazda 3 & SP. While the Mazda looks more modern the drive is worse & the road noise was unbearable.
Not to mention the Mazda has less power.
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-12-2015, 01:36 PM   #42
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

The EVO being released soon is the final edition, no more EVO's after that. The other lancers are getting a face lift to be released early next year. So there will still be lancers, but no EVO's.
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 11:57 AM   #43
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Both cars I considered when car shopping.

I think the Lancer seemed to lack well... anything, which I guess is why they're reliable, and the fuel consumption put me off the Pajero.

Seems odd, the Lancer must be one of their best selling cars, and the Pajero would be leaving a big hole in their 4wd range, are any of the others relatively capable off road?
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 12:00 PM   #44
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sabantien..the new Pajero Sport is reasonable off road.
http://www.motoring.com.au/mitsubish...-review-54812/
Old 13-12-2015, 12:31 PM   #45
Blue Shadow
R.I.P. Maggie

The Pajero is not getting killed off, the challanger is and it is being replaced with a pajero sport
Blue Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 12:38 PM   #46
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
The Pajero is not getting killed off, the challanger is and it is being replaced with a pajero sport
Its days are numbered..http://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/m...28-gkkuee.html
Old 13-12-2015, 05:11 PM   #47
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Shadow View Post
Its really just a rename. Pajero Sport is the new Challenger.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 07:20 PM   #48
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGEREST View Post
So is the AU falcon, but you continue to drive one, seems you dislike every car bar your own, going by the bulk of your posts bagging pretty much every car mentioned on this forum

hey i have an AU lol
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2015, 07:34 PM   #49
flooded one
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought the little lancers were ok. known quite a few people that have owned them over the years and the only real issue I've really notice is the clear lifting on the metallic paint on the 90's models. I knew someone that used to go bin bashing in a 92 or 93?? model years ago. I thought he was a bit of a tool. me and a mate wanted to fill a wheelie been with concrete and hope he drove into it. Only reason we didn't was because we were worried someone innocent would get hurt
flooded one is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2015, 08:42 AM   #50
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Seems odd, the Lancer must be one of their best selling cars, and the Pajero would be leaving a big hole in their 4wd range, are any of the others relatively capable off road?

Sales and profitable are two different things.