Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-03-2020, 02:22 PM   #61
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The Air We Breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
Be good to know and add some more weight to your point of view. Are they still having to ship different components of the batteries from all over the world in pollution causing ships, acid to help with the mining, that's left in the soil and are they still using children with some of the mining? Would be some great points to clarify, thanks in advance for the upcoming information.
That’s what he was getting at I suspect but the facts in this particular case have been answered many times.
It was declared - no contest.

Look up Torrey Canyon, Exon Valdez, Deepwater Horizon, Amoco Cadiz, Atlantic Empress .........

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV

Last edited by ryeman; 12-03-2020 at 02:29 PM.
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2020, 02:53 PM   #62
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
That’s what he was getting at I suspect but the facts in this particular case have been answered many times.
It was declared - no contest.

Look up Torrey Canyon, Exon Valdez, Deepwater Horizon, Amoco Cadiz, Atlantic Empress .........
You have listed shipping disasters, well done. I was clearly asking about the production of batteries for electric cars, lithium from salt flats, child labour in The Congo for the mining of cobalt and how this mining is effecting the planet and how shipping all these different components of the battery to one destination for manufacturing and it's impact on the environment.
If you are going to take a stance on a subject, that I don't necessarily disagree with, you have to have all the facts from both sides of the debate, not just the ones that suit your purpose.
Please post when you have collated the data for us, thank you.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-03-2020, 03:04 PM   #63
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You have listed shipping disasters, well done. I was clearly asking about the production of batteries for electric cars, lithium from salt flats, child labour in The Congo for the mining of cobalt and how this mining is effecting the planet and how shipping all these different components of the battery to one destination for manufacturing and it's impact on the environment.
If you are going to take a stance on a subject, that I don't necessarily disagree with, you have to have all the facts from both sides of the debate, not just the ones that suit your purpose.
Please post when you have collated the data for us, thank you.
1/ for a long time (relatively) Tesla has been incrementally reducing cobalt %s and the China M3 is now zero.
2/ others have the same goal.
3/ the low sulphur refinery production process has always involved the use of cobalt
4/ you referred to shipping
5/ collated data at 10 paces then

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 12-03-2020, 03:31 PM   #64
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryeman View Post
5/ collated data at 10 paces then
I am merely trying to point out that if you provided the data of both sides of the discussing you would be in a stronger place to start with and wouldn't have to keep putting up with and defending your point against posts that could be eliminated if the right facts were provided. If you enjoy having to do so please disregard my posts and keep going tit for tat.
Bit of light reading for you. https://curiosity.com/topics/motivat...cts-curiosity/
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2020, 03:35 PM   #65
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I am merely trying to point out that if you provided the data of both sides of the discussing you would be in a stronger place to start with and wouldn't have to keep putting up with and defending your point against posts that could be eliminated if the right facts were provided. If you enjoy having to do so please disregard my posts and keep going tit for tat.
Bit of light reading for you. https://curiosity.com/topics/motivat...cts-curiosity/
It’s not tit4tat it’s been done to death so many times I’m simply surprised it’s still doing the rounds -
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/02/19...missions-myth/

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
Old 12-03-2020, 03:36 PM   #66
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Pollution reeeeing isn't based on facts. It's all feels with these deranged fools.

If you factor in all the co2 burnt mining the precious metals needed in batteries and electric motors, and run on fossil fuel powered power stations, it will not be better for the environment in the long run compared to a conventional petrol powered vehicle.

What are they replacing cobalt with? Surely something that still needs intensive mining?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2020, 03:49 PM   #67
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Pollution reeeeing isn't based on facts. It's all feels with these deranged fools.

If you factor in all the co2 burnt mining the precious metals needed in batteries and electric motors, and run on fossil fuel powered power stations, it will not be better for the environment in the long run compared to a conventional petrol powered vehicle.

What are they replacing cobalt with? Surely something that still needs intensive mining?
An extract of the buaxite mining industry I seem to recall.

Ah well, there ya go......a bit like every other useful and much loved device you can think of

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV