Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
nappa8
Starter Motor

Default Fiesta ST Rattles-help!

Has anyone with a Fiesta ST experienced rattles from the back of their car?

For the last yeah my brilliant ST has had one problem. A persistent noise that originates somewhere around the back left corner of the interior. It is a high pitched rattle that only happens on a rough tarmac or dirt road. It could almost be described as a ticking type rattle. It is possibly the speaker, trim or seat catches. For a long time I thought it might be a screw bouncing around inside the speaker but I've had it in with service twice and they believe its trim rubbing. Each time the say its fixed but it stats rattling within minutes of leaving the dealer.

Now I know I purchased a firm hot hatch and eventually it will probably shake itself to death, but I am pretty sure this is not normal.

Anyone had this or similar issue?
nappa8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #2
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Default Re: Fiesta ST Rattles-help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappa8 View Post

For the last yeah my brilliant ST has had one problem. A persistent noise that originates somewhere around the back left corner of the interior. It is a high pitched rattle that only happens on a rough tarmac or dirt road. It could almost be described as a ticking type rattle. It is possibly the speaker, trim or seat catches. For a long time I thought it might be a screw bouncing around inside the speaker but I've had it in with service twice and they believe its trim rubbing. Each time the say its fixed but it stats rattling within minutes of leaving the dealer.

Now I know I purchased a firm hot hatch and eventually it will probably shake itself to death, but I am pretty sure this is not normal.

I'm pretty sure 'they all do it'

Mine makes that sound when I crank up the stereo, or drive over very rough surfaces.

Damn you back left corner!
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

ditto "they all do"

The one I tested for the weekend did it and the one I bought does it. Same situation on rough tarmac.
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
Imolator
Quad Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
ditto "they all do"

The one I tested for the weekend did it and the one I bought does it. Same situation on rough tarmac.
Ford just don't pay enough attention to detail, if they all do it then it should have been fixed in the prototype testing stage.
Imolator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2015, 03:26 PM   #5
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese3 View Post
ditto "they all do"

thats ok "if they all do it" , that means "its within spec ".
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
nappa8
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
thats ok "if they all do it" , that means "its within spec ".
I guess it should be now known as the ST RS (rattle spec).

Oh well it's a small price to pay for an amazing car.

Thanks for your input, if anyone manages to fix it please let me know.
nappa8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2015, 07:11 PM   #7
NuMatthu
Starter Motor

Quote:

Yup mine did it.. back left. I thought it was the speaker, took it to Ford and it was the trim that was loose. They insulated the mounting points with foam and the noise is much better. It still vibrates when you have music with a lot of bass playing up load. Happy with the results and their service..
NuMatthu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2015, 02:34 AM   #8
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I guess it should be now known as the ST RS (rattle spec).

Oh well it's a small price to pay for an amazing car.

Thanks for your input, if anyone manages to fix it please let me know.
apologies, that wasnt any help to you.

if you have someone that can drive the car , you might be able to jump in the back and track the rattle down fairly closely and give the service guy a place to look , rattles and squeeks can be a bugger to find.
the place i used to work at the road tester had a nice little track/road he would take the car over to check for rattles,
part of which was a dirt road and some blue stone like a lane way that ran next to the railway line .
good luck.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #9
andylarts
Starter Motor

this could be a very long shot but my current work car a Kia Sportage Platinum T/D had a chronic rattle in the rear, sounded like the RHS of vehicle. wasnt loud but was always there. I ended up numerous times getting back there and banging, pulling and pushing on things. finally worked out what it could be.. wedged some rubber in the plastic section behind where the seatbelt pulls out from (does not affect use) and that has solved the problem! maybe look in the same spot! in saying that hatches of any make are prone to a rattle or two..
andylarts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 06:54 PM   #10
DoggieHowser
Starter Motor

I noticed a rattle in the front console within a day of getting the car.

Turned out it was the sat nav holder I had resting on top of the MFD display.

Once I moved it to the side, the rattle was gone
DoggieHowser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 09:43 PM   #11
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieHowser View Post
I noticed a rattle in the front console within a day of getting the car.

Turned out it was the sat nav holder I had resting on top of the MFD display.

Once I moved it to the side, the rattle was gone
Had a similar thing happen to me, turns out the etag was rattling on the dash.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
DoggieHowser
Starter Motor

Noticed a slight rattle in the back earlier today

But I remembered that I had removed the rear boot shelf when I was moving some boxes from work so I went to check it out - and I was right, I had to pop the the shelf hook into the little round hinge and voila - the rattle was gone.
DoggieHowser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post