Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
Sep 97 EL XR8
Miami power

Default Ac compressor

Hi everyone
I have brought out of storage and starting driving my EL XR8, buthave noticed the AC not working well - looks like it leaking form the compressor.

Iím in the need of for some advice - can the compressor be serviced/fixed easily, should I get second hand, or is new available

Thanks in advance - prefer a really cheap option, as been a few expenses lately

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sep 97 EL XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Magee

Default Re: Ac compressor

Unfortunately when it comes to AC on older vehicles, unless it just re-gassing a working system, there is no cheap option.

I am in a similar boat with my AU XR8 and my thought is to go with a new compressor (around $500) as I would be worried that the cost of re-gassing and labour change would be lost if there is more problems with a second hand unit.
Magee is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #3
Landau35!
Starter Motor

try ashdown-ingrams, they usually sell this kind of thing.
Landau35! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-01-2020, 09:00 PM   #4
CitroŽnbender
DIY tragic

Ignore at your peril, loss of lubricating oil instigates a slow self-destruction by grinding its insides up - eventually seizing and snapping the aux belt. Which, if you're on a roll, will whip past the crank sensor and flog its wires in half.

OEX are usually OK compressors for the Flagon (I'm not sure if Padrone Cozzo agrees with that statement). Shop around hard, the worst someone will say is "Sorry, can't do that price".

The option is to reseal your existing, you need the seal and some way to change it over. Seal kits will come from AliExpress or other overseas suppliers usually if they're cheap.

Change it in time - you "only" need compressor, drier, orifice tube. Ignore and you need condenser plus full flush of the lines and evaporator.
CitroŽnbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2020, 09:33 PM   #5
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Attached is the parts that were available back in the day. You can also get aftermarket compressors as new ones are obsolete from Ford.

EL V8 AC Compressor.pdf

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Air-Con-...4AAOSwfopd-aDZ

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-FAL...0AAOSwgZ1Xq-DX
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2020, 12:34 AM   #6
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sep 97 EL XR8 View Post
looks like it leaking form the compressor.
They do leak from the front seal - you usually see oil on the underside of the intake snorkle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitroŽnbender View Post
The option is to reseal your existing, you need the seal and some way to change it over. Seal kits will come from AliExpress or other overseas suppliers usually if they're cheap.
You can get front seals from PolarBearInc in the US - you need to shim it though so it doesn't sit where the old seal lip wear is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitroŽnbender View Post
Change it in time - you "only" need compressor, drier, orifice tube. Ignore and you need condenser plus full flush of the lines and evaporator.
No orifice tube - these are Tx valve systems. Replace the receiver/drier too.

The Sanden TRS105's aren't a bad compressor, they work well, but need lubrication - I have seen and experienced where the low pressure switch doesn't operate and the compressors lunch themselves.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2020, 04:18 AM   #7
CitroŽnbender
DIY tragic

At $500+ to replace, itís probably worth trying to re-seal it.
CitroŽnbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2020, 11:21 AM   #8
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a fair amount of work - the front bearing sits flush, so it needs to be dremelled out. The shaft is stepped, so the seal needs to be installed carefully.
Once you develop a method, it's not too bad.
Depends where the leak is - if it's rear, then it's just a large O ring to replace.

TRS105: https://www.polarbearinc.com/index.c...24/ss-0847.htm
Sanden FS10(AU): https://www.polarbearinc.com/index.c...24/ss-0731.htm
Old 15-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #9
chris.j
Starter Motor

Hi mate, I'm in A/C parts and can get you a genuine Sanden comp for well under $500.
Don't bother with trying to reseal it.
These TR series compressors were never very good from the start!
Cheers Chris
chris.j is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #10
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris.j View Post
These TR series compressors were never very good from the start!
Why's that?