Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 28-12-2008, 01:34 PM   #1
aufairmontghia
XR6

Default Au Fairmont Ghia Head Unit Issue

Hi Guys
Hooked up JVC head unit using wiring harness... thanks for all previous posts regarding the wiring. Wires are all correct. I've left the factory amp and speakers.

The amp has power when I checked with a multimeter but doesn't switch on when head unit is turned on. I've tried running a wire direct from remote wire from head unit to amp. BUT front speakers are only working not the back????

Looks like the amp isn't switching on????
Are there any other wires I may have missed???
Is there an earthing needed for the remote wire or something????

Has anyone out there done this mod successfully or not?????

I thought this was pretty straight forward......

Not happy JAN..... Help someone.....

aufairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 01:42 PM   #2
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the factory amp doesn't use the same bits as the aftermarket unit supplies

you need to make a custom set of RCAs from the little plug of 6 or so wires that the JVC loom didnt plug into (god i hope this makes sense)

head down to jaycar or dicksmith and buy a pair of RCA ends that you can hook your own wires to

there is a thread on here that explains which wires you need
Old 28-12-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackers10
you need to make a custom set of RCAs from the little plug of 6 or so wires that the JVC loom didnt plug into (god i hope this makes sense)
As blackers says you need to find the c232 plug.

I think it's an eight wire plug (or maybe ten with a few blanks). One group of the wires is for the mobile phone the other group is for the sub.

I've looked at my notes for when I changed from factory hu and at one end of the plug there are 3 wires (mobile ph) - yellow, green, blue.

At the other end of the plug are 4 wires - yellow (control), grey (sub+), red (sub-) and drain (can't read the colour).

Check with a multimeter as my notes aren't necessarily 100% correct.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 02:44 PM   #4
aufairmontghia
XR6

Default Au Fairmont Ghia Head Unit Issue

Thanks Blackers10,

I'm starting to slowing make some sense of all of this???? Theres a really great thread on this site by antilooped which is really opening my eyes.

I'm alittle confused & I have a question??

I have a series 1 GHIA & it has the rear speakers & sub running out of the amp....Now the head unit plugs into the aftermarket harness & seems the rear speakers are now connected... but no sound probally due to no amp/remote control activating????

Do I disconnect the rears from the harness & connect to RCA's your talking about to where??? I'm not sure were RCA's are mean't to go??? Two RCA's enter the amp, probally left & right channel????

Or leave & try to locate amp/sub rear speaker control???

Bear in mind a second smaller loom that was also connected to original head unit doesn't seem to have anything connect to it now & could be amp control or rear speakers by what I'm hearing???

Thanks
Old 28-12-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the rear speakers and sub all run off the factory amp

the plug and RCAs were talking about are in behind the headunit
(you would have unplugged a big loom and a smaller 8 or so wire loom from the rear of the headunit)
we are talking about the smaller plug

4 of those wires make up 2 RCA cables at the rear (ford is wierd)
Old 28-12-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
aufairmontghia
XR6

blackers
Ford r weird all right.... that's da most complicated wiring I've come across.... & I've done quite a few awesome installs over the years!!!!!

I've gone back & located the second loom....It's a 16 plug.
From left to right they are:
Top Row
1. red
2. white
3. blank
4. black
5. red
6. yellow
7. blue
8. green
Bottom row
9. black
10. blank
11. blank
12. yellow
13. blue
14. black
15. green
16. black
Now to work out what's what?????
Old 28-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #7
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you become a donating member there is the full ford manuals for the AUs available on the forum im 99% sure its got the wiring diagrams in there too
Old 28-12-2008, 04:48 PM   #8
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aufairmontghia
Yeah that's right... the high end units had a sat nav facility

Quote:
Try here:-
http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...php?photo=2045
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #9
aufairmontghia
XR6

Thanks
Wiring diagram looks good but I think its for S2/3 cos the amp runs a sub only. S1 runs rears & sub.

What confuses me is at head unit 4 speakers are connected & wiring for the RCA's for rear input at amp....

What's the other speakers running????? Factory splits???

I thought for front & rears not each front splits??? used:
Old 28-12-2008, 07:41 PM   #10
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok i think ur not reading right...
the headunit wiring loom has all the wires for the front and rear but somewhere in between the front and rear the rear pair dont go anywhere and terminate

then in the ghias etc with amps/premium sound the sub and rear speakers
are all powered by the amp

the front splits have the cables split down near the door sill between tweeter and woofer

you need to convert the 4 wires going to the rear in that secondary loom into RCA plugs (find a pos and neg for each by putting power thru each RCA cable plug at the amp end)
Old 28-12-2008, 09:58 PM   #11
aufairmontghia
XR6

Thanks Blackers,

It's all making perfect sense now.....I thought it was strange having 4 channels hard wired & RCA's at the head unit!!!!!

Gee's Ford are strange!!!!!

Got awonder though 7 channels, that would be an awesome system....

I'll finish install & let u guys know how I go.

Cheers
Old 30-12-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
Umineko
Karasu

Hi Mate
I have done somethuing similar with my LTD and ran into much the same issues you have. My solution was to ignore the factory wiring for the rear speakers and simply run new speaker wires (with RCA plugs) from the new head unit (most of which have RCA outputs these days anyway) all the way to the Amp. leave the Amps power supply wires in place and run a new trigger wire from the remote output of your head unit to the amp (if I recall correctly it's a light green colour but don't quote me on that) this setup has been working in mine for over 2 years with no hiccups
Umineko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 12:36 PM   #13
aufairmontghia
XR6

Hi All,
Just wanted to give an update with the install as I hadn't been online in a while...

Let me just say if anyone out there is on a budget!!! Then I strongly recommend you replace your Head unit only first, if your had enough of the premium double din piece of crap..... that can't play mp3's or use a thumb drive!!!!

My premium set up unit was in very good in fact probably excellent condition, sure it's a 6 stack in the boot & 7 speakers including the sub. But I wasn't happy with the limitations of the factory unit...... I knew my speakers, sub & amp were in good nick.

I bought myself a JVC KD-G646 for $140 real cheap considering what it's capable of. It plays mp3's, has front USB input, front & rear RCA's, remote & more. Bought stereo removal tool from EBAY for $10 which made taking the stereo out a breeze..... Got wiring harness from JB Hifi.

Fitted head unit in place & wired it using wiring harness from JB. I thought about using the existing wiring on the second loom which has 16 pins on S1 Ghia's.... but didn't want to muck around splicing wires left right & centre????

NOTE: On S1 Ghia's two RCA's left & right channels enter the amp to feed the rear speakers & sub. S2&3 I believe only feeds sub.

I only used the remote wire using a connector which is green on this loom to my remote trigger on head unit.
ALSO if you are dearing for your rear speakers on from Head unit, u can use the red & white wires on this same loom for the left & right + channels for the RCA's to the amp. Black is negative. To be absolutley sure.... run some power through the outer & inner RCA's at amp to see which has power at loom using multimeter.

I didn't go this way, but I ran RCA's for a 4 channel amp from Head unit to amp & connected to rear rca output on head unit only, I ran 4 just in case I want to update one day. Probally this was far quicker than splicing & joining wires let alone a much cleaner finish.

I powered the unit & was absolutly blown away how good it all sounded with the factory amp, speakers & sub..... I can't believe how crap the Premium Factory Head unit is!!!!!!!

The JVC unit I fitted rocks & best of all..... it played mp3's, CD, music from my USB thumb drive..... I love it....Awesome sound now :disco:
Old 31-12-2008, 01:00 PM   #14
blackers10
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

glad to hear you got over the whole stock headunit haha
Old 22-06-2009, 09:14 AM   #15
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
blackers
Ford r weird all right.... that's da most complicated wiring I've come across.... & I've done quite a few awesome installs over the years!!!!!

From left to right they are:
Top Row
1. red
2. white
3. blank
4. black
5. red
6. yellow
7. blue
8. green
Bottom row
9. black
10. blank
11. blank
12. yellow
13. blue
14. black
15. green
16. black
Appologies fo reviving and old thread, but did you ever map the pins for the 16 plug in the AU1 Ghia?
I am working on a little side project and need to tap into the original harness - I believe the CD stacker Signal connections 1. & 2. are Left+ & Right+, with 9. Signal Ground?

Cheers

James
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #16
Cobalt Blue
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Au Fairmont Ghia Head Unit Issue

Series 1 AU Fairmont Ghia here.

I installed a 2018 Pioneer DAB+ head unit using the Aerpro primary harness, which meant only the front speakers worked. So, In order to get the rears working, I simply cut the wires at the smaller 16 pin C232 connector, as I figured I'd never be going back to the Ford head unit. I couldn't be bothered feeding new RCA cables and a 12v signal wire from the head unit to the rear amp.

I can verify that to get the rear speakers working from the rear, boot mounted OEM amplifier, green wire 8 at the C232 connector, will be your 12v signal. It's the thicker of the two green wires on the C232 connector. Blue (+) 13 and black (-) 14 will be your right or red RCA channel and thin green (+) 15 and black (-) 16 will be your left or white RCA channel.

Green wire 8 was connected to the blue & white wire coming out of the Pioneer head unit. I used the cheap green and black RCA male plugs with screw terminals, as seen on Ebay, to connect wires 13, 14, 15 and 16 to the female red and white RCA connectors on the back of the Pioneer head unit. Turned the power on and voila!
Cobalt Blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2021, 09:01 PM   #17
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Au Fairmont Ghia Head Unit Issue

I did the same a little while back, with the green and black ebay RCA's, this is series 2 AU Fairlane.

I decided to go to a single din so I could fit more things behind it, and have the extra storage compartment (bought the Aerpro single din fascia, it fitted perfectly into the sat-nav LTD fascia)... sounds better than the factory head unit, even with the standard speakers and sub. The bluetooth music and phone stuff is handy also.

I left the factory plug though and peeled the wires back behind the plug I needed and soldered. I found another thread on here somewhere that told me which colour was which.

Series 2 only have one RCA connected on the amp, but I looked and it has both there on the amp, one just isnt used. It isnt the same amp as a series 1 but it still has two RCA inputs even though Ford just hooked one up.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post