Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-07-2011, 03:52 PM   #91
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Just how far can a Mazda 3 go without a service, 73,000km

I think that the owners of modern turbocharged diesels will be in for a very expensive shock if they don't service their cars on time. A diesel that only does short trips and never heats up properly contaminates it's oil very quickly with soot and should have it's oil changed every 5000km before it starts to thicken and block the filter and small oil galleries. If the same car was only used for long trips the oil would probably be good for 20,000 km. Also the particulate filter will never get hot enough to clean itself when only used for short runs causing it to block up and more horrendous expence.

In my own case I am happy to change the oil in my Territory every 15K as recomended by Ford, but I use synthetic oil and drive 45K per year so the oil change comes round every 4 months. I have followed the same routine in my Subaru which has now done 380,000 Kms and the engine still runs like new.

Keep em hot and filled with the best oil that you can afford and they will run for ever. (almost)
Olbucko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 07:05 PM   #92
Paxton
Cobblers!

I didn't think of this when I first posted in this thread, but my X5 is coming up on its second year without a service. I've taken it to BMW twice in the last two years, only to get home, and get a phone call telling me that my car is ready. Both times, I've left without charge, because apparently, the car isn't ready for a service yet.

There are no set intervals - the engine can tell the quality of the oil in them from a sensor in the engine, and until it degrades sufficiently, BMW will not change it. That being said, the oil is still golden. I'd love to know exactly what they use.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:49 PM   #93
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
I didn't think of this when I first posted in this thread, but my X5 is coming up on its second year without a service. I've taken it to BMW twice in the last two years, only to get home, and get a phone call telling me that my car is ready. Both times, I've left without charge, because apparently, the car isn't ready for a service yet.

There are no set intervals - the engine can tell the quality of the oil in them from a sensor in the engine, and until it degrades sufficiently, BMW will not change it. That being said, the oil is still golden. I'd love to know exactly what they use.
Makes you wonder why you would change the oil so often in an LPG only vehicle as the oil is so clean.

And remember: Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - meat pie in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 09:52 PM   #94
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton

Could be Liqui Moly - very good oil. I run it in the ute and am very happy with it.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:25 PM   #95
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I shouldve taken some photos of my missuses old Barina. Looked more like molasses than oil.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #96
coasty
XH Ute fan

I serviced a customers Rav4 with 65,000ks on it. The only reason she came in was because the oil light was on. We asked when it's last service was and we were greeted with a dumb/stunned mullet look. It had never been done and she knew nothing about servicing. It was a thick molasses blob and nothing else.
coasty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 10:34 PM   #97
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3911
In fairness, for a company, yes it certainly can be an excuse. If by not having the car out earning the company money is going to cost more then the cost would be of a rebuilt/new engine - then if I was in charge, I'd skip a few services too. A car for a company (especially a large one) can easily be treated as something that is easier (and more cost efficient) to run into the ground, rather than pay to maintain.
Completely incorrect. Taxis are serviced every 28 days, 2hrs off the road for a service at a scheduled quiet time is far, far less inconvenient than a breakdown 50k from base.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:11 PM   #98
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Could be Liqui Moly - very good oil. I run it in the ute and am very happy with it.
I'd like to think it is anything else, but the Oil Cap has Castrol on it. If Castrol, most likely this:

Quote:
CASTROL SLX PROFESSIONAL LONGTEC BMW LL01
Castrol SLX Professional Longtec BMW LL01 is an advanced synthetic SAE 5W-30 high performance motor oil. It combines outstanding low temperature fluidity and high load protection. Castrol SLX Professional Longtec BMW LL01 has been specifically formulated to meet the latest requirements of European OEMs for passenger car and light commercial petrol and diesel engines, including BMWs Longlife Oil specification.
Service Refill Capacity: 8.0* Litres.
See note 713 below.
713 If unavailable, refer to Dealer. May use CASTROL EDGE SPORT 0W-40 for top up only.
Liquimoly has my interest, however. It's a shame they don't make one suitable for the E Series engine. I'm looking for something that will be better with its old engine.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 11:25 PM   #99
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
Completely incorrect. Taxis are serviced every 28 days, 2hrs off the road for a service at a scheduled quiet time is far, far less inconvenient than a breakdown 50k from base.
Who mentioned Taxi's? I wasn't talking about hire vehicles where the vehicle is the business.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 02:01 AM   #100
old_mate
Smash the Boost

we had our old company triton do 110 000k's between services. The thing was very ticky, rattled like nothing else but seemed to still run ok. Guy who drove it used to top the oil up every few months, but had the opinion it was 'just a work car' and organising it to go to the mechanics was a 'pain in the rear'.

1971 Fairmont Sedan

1974 SWB F100

Keyboard Warrior - A Person who, being unable to express his anger through physical violence (owning to their physical weakness, lack of bravery and/or conviction in real life), instead manifests said emotions through the text-based medium of the internet, usually in the form of aggressive writing that the Keyboard Warrior would not (for reasons previously mentioned) be able to give form to in real life.
old_mate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 04:39 AM   #101
wsuser
Starter Motor

my old man has a 2000 Hyundai excel never serviced...... it has over 250000kms on it and it runs like a beast
wsuser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 09:11 AM   #102
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not sure were the $500 for a Mazda 3 service has come from ... it normally only costs me $250 for a standard service on the wife's 3. Yes, I can change the oil and filter easily enough. But, for resale, it helps having dealer stamps in the service book. If one is tight for cash, then there are plenty of cheaper places that can change oil.

Besides, most of the cost for a service does come from the labor component. A tech costs around $80/h with all the overheads.
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #103
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh geeze and I felt bad killing a 250 xflow in an old XF ute, I pulled it to bits and discovered it had shredded the rear main seal blasted all the oil out at highway speed then needless to say 700,000 kms plus and no oil it didnt last very long before parts decided to eject through the sump. the engine was shot to hell this I knew but it ran with me constantly maintaining it. It only had to last another 4 weeks before the newly rebuilt motor replaced it, but it decided to let go. But this defies belief and logic its like buying yourself a drink on a melting hot day and tipping it out then complaining because you don't have a drink.....

I have a mental picture of this person going off tap cause her new car is stuffed and how the cars' a POS....

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26 PM   #104
demood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercharged
Makes you wonder why you would change the oil so often in an LPG only vehicle as the oil is so clean.
Because the oil turns acidic from burning LPG after a while, despite still looking clean.
There's more to oil than just removing carbon from the engine.
demood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 07:54 PM   #105
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Read the whole thread and i cant wait to get my car serviced.

I dont know where anything is on these AU's as i used to do everything on my old Cressidas.

Parts are cheap though (Yay bursons) and i suppose a workshop manual is worth it.

at 150000k (143k now) ill do it.

Its funny this thread reminds me of old bikes/cars/tractors i could not kill.

A old fiat tractor's dipstick would pour out oil and i wedged it in with a stick :p

84 XR200R's gaskits where shot (ALL OF THEM) and it would use about 5l everytime i rode it.

83 XLX250, has run a whole day with little to no oil in the engine (The infamous invisible mysterious Honda Oil leak) and i didnt even know until i checked the dipstick.

3x 1983/4 cressida's just wont die, all 3 of them have run with no coolant in the engines, blown head gaskit and or dead sparkplugs,leads injectors,dead battery. I have much respect for the 5ME, but it doesnt stop it from being a slow unreliable piece of **** :P

1972 Yamaha Chappy, litterally was pouring oil out the sparkplug, started/ran perfectly until everything started leaking, now its in permanent pieces.

All these old bombs had 300000k+ on them, impossible to totally kill yet where unreliable, old leaky pains in the ***.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 09:45 PM   #106
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by demood
Because the oil turns acidic from burning LPG after a while, despite still looking clean.
There's more to oil than just removing carbon from the engine.

Goes against the grain, but me thinks its just an excuse to sell lpg specific oil at inflated prices.
Suggest those that run lpg do a basic pH test on your oil and you'll come to the same conclusion
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:04 PM   #107
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman
a boss i used to work for told me the trucks only needed servicing every 50000km
was a little hino fc driven around melbourne never switched off cause it was refridgerated so 8-12 hours running daily

it got to 35000 before i finally convinced him it HAD to be serviced

scariest part in his previous job he looked after the maintnence of light planes

Trucks can go 30-40-50-60-70-80,000kms between oil changes, depending on the truck make and the oil used.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #108
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibe_xr6
Its a bit of topic, but this makes me wonder how evinrude's etec last's 3 years before scheduled servicing and maintenance. ( No scheduled maintenance apart from once every 3 year service )
They are a direct injection 2 stroke so there is not engine oil to change anyway only the oil in the transmission
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2011, 11:41 PM   #109
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Trucks can go 30-40-50-60-70-80,000kms between oil changes, depending on the truck make and the oil used.
a semi doing highway runs yes but a little around melbourne truck i dont think so
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 09:03 AM   #110
demood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudszy
Goes against the grain, but me thinks its just an excuse to sell lpg specific oil at inflated prices.
Suggest those that run lpg do a basic pH test on your oil and you'll come to the same conclusion
I agree on the inflated LPG oil prices, but using regular engine oil at the correct intervals is still a good thing.
demood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2011, 09:59 PM   #111
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcman
a semi doing highway runs yes but a little around melbourne truck i dont think so

How little are you talking? 11,990kg GVM European trucks are nearly all 40k+

Anything smaller than that is just a big ute.

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM   #112
XR_6falcon

We had a 2008 turbo diesel pajero in today that reminded me of this thread. Its a company car and had come in for front and rear brakes. Out of habit i looked at the service sticker and it had 60,000 for its next service, but had 85,000 on the odo. On inspecting the service book it had only been serviced once in its life at 48k. Managed to sell her a service while we were doing brakes explaining how over due it was. Some people have no clue

Smoke tyres, not drugs
XR_6falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post