Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-04-2021, 04:11 PM   #1
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Window tint....Which is best?

My wagons glass is totally clear which i dont feel comfortable with after having tint on most of my previous rides.

Does anyone know what type of tint is best?

I realise there is different % types just not sure which type to get fitted?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 04:17 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Window tint....Which is best?

Darkest possible, gets my vote.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 05:10 PM   #3
MercuryT
Banned

My R36 wagon is 20% all around. Go to a quality place too, don't skimp on a poor quality film.

Looks fantastic imo as I don't like the front window looking lighter like most are done.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 05:56 PM   #4
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

If in Victoria, don't go darker than minimum legal transmittance (VLT) otherwise you may well have to remove and replace it when a RWC is needed, such as when selling.

I've always had mine done by tint-a Car, never had any issues over the years.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 06:16 PM   #5
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
If in Victoria, don't go darker than minimum legal transmittance (VLT) otherwise you may well have to remove and replace it when a RWC is needed, such as when selling.

I've always had mine done by tint-a Car, never had any issues over the years.
I'm keeping the ride so i mighty go a bit darker than legal.
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #6
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I have Tint-a-Car Octane on the XR6 and Ranger, great product.

https://www.tintacar.com.au/car/car-...ne-window-tint
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #7
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
My R36 wagon is 20% all around. Go to a quality place too, don't skimp on a poor quality film.
Agree, spend the money buying good quality film. My SSVR is CXP 18% all around and wifey's Sorento is tinted with really quality ceramic film at 20% on the front, with the privacy glass in the rears tinted to match. As for legality, they are both darker than legal but ive run 20% in my cars since my TL Magna in 2003 and, even going through defect stations, with no issue. This is Queensland though so other states may differ. For guidance, sorry in advance for lack of Ford.

Wifeys car:

Mine:

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-04-2021, 08:38 PM   #8
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGASWGN View Post
I'm keeping the ride so i mighty go a bit darker than legal.
then I doubt any reputable business will do the job, because as soon and police nabs a dark (illegal tint) car, the client goes wailing to the tint provider ' you sold me crap product blah blah blah etc". the screams like a stuck pig on social media.

I was in a tint place just recently and this scenario really happened , the supplier had got the client to sign a waiver form to protect himself, the client didnt care a rats what he had signed, until a piece of lead pipe appeared on the scene and was offered as a deterrent.
Old 01-04-2021, 08:46 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I had a car tinted over spec by a reputable business. The film is rated as though measured with clear glass, add the factory hue and it’s quickly illegal. The receipt stated the film used, not the final transmissibility of the tinted glass.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2021, 10:09 PM   #10
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

welll ... i was gunna use the same fella that did me missus's car .......... but due to the carona diettripe no longer does window tinting [did a good job on her car & is still good 5 years later ], so i have no idea on who to do mine. the guy that did hers gave a warranty of as long as you own it. and speaking of me missus . . . . her current car had to have the front doors window tints removed due to being to dark so some time soon i have to swap some front doors
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 01:36 AM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
then I doubt any reputable business will do the job, because as soon and police nabs a dark (illegal tint) car, the client goes wailing to the tint provider ' you sold me crap product blah blah blah etc". the screams like a stuck pig on social media.

I was in a tint place just recently and this scenario really happened , the supplier had got the client to sign a waiver form to protect himself, the client didnt care a rats what he had signed, until a piece of lead pipe appeared on the scene and was offered as a deterrent.
Every single tinting place I have dealt with will install whatever tint you ask for.

I've always done 20% as it looks the goods but also matches the factory privacy glass (which, by the way is technically illegal from what I've been told).

Yes, 20% is illegal - I think 30% is the darkest you are meant to go but I've done several cars the same and never had a problem. Been pulled over many times for random stuff by the fuzz and it's never been mentioned.

Go the 20% and get good quality stuff. Not much difference in price either.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #12
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Speaking as a guy that has bought & sold a lot of used cars, my vote would be for NO tint.

The $$$ that I've spent removing crappy tint could buy a house (or at least the deposit on one).

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 08:34 PM   #13
MercuryT
Banned

Jeez if I feel sorry for other places.

Literally no cop cares if a car has dark tint, super loud V8 etc so long as drive responsibility.

I've had heaps of complaints on noise but they just l laugh and say keep it down.

Same as Tint? Who cares?

Seems like other States are just into making money and being a Nanny to me as 20% is perfectly easy.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2021, 07:34 PM   #14
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Agree, spend the money buying good quality film. My SSVR is CXP 18% all around and wifey's Sorento is tinted with really quality ceramic film at 20% on the front, with the privacy glass in the rears tinted to match. As for legality, they are both darker than legal but ive run 20% in my cars since my TL Magna in 2003 and, even going through defect stations, with no issue. This is Queensland though so other states may differ. For guidance, sorry in advance for lack of Ford.

Wifeys car:

Mine:

Is the ceramic stuff actually worth getting?
The wife's car definitely looks good, but i'm more curious about how much sun/heat it cuts out.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2021, 07:45 PM   #15
nstg8a

This is 18% ceramic tint.

Yes it’s illegal. No one cares.

This cost roughly $500 to get done.

My van I’m going 5% and hoping to get a tint shop willing to do 70% on the windscreen. It’s makes a massive difference in the Qld sun.
5% does require a bit of thought when you’re driving at night, because it’s a bit like driving a cave.
Bang your windows down if near an intersection or similar.
Rainy dark nights can be uhhh, interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 09:14 PM   #16
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
Is the ceramic stuff actually worth getting?
The wife's car definitely looks good, but i'm more curious about how much sun/heat it cuts out.
In my research Ceramic Tint is better at Heat/UV/glare rejection than normal tint so I got for the wifes car as it was sitting out in the sun all day whilst she was at work. It cost $100 more than the non ceramic option but was worth it for me. I dont get drive her car a heap during the day so cant directly comment on the application in the real world but my wife assures me its awesome.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 10:15 AM   #17
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
This is 18% ceramic tint.

Yes it’s illegal. No one cares.

This cost roughly $500 to get done.

My van I’m going 5% and hoping to get a tint shop willing to do 70% on the windscreen. It’s makes a massive difference in the Qld sun. image
5% does require a bit of thought when you’re driving at night, because it’s a bit like driving a cave.
Bang your windows down if near an intersection or similar.
Rainy dark nights can be uhhh, interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i did my own many years ago & it would be illegal now [as it most likely was then lol] and i had to at times roll down side window to make sure of oncoming. even had to put a driving light at the rear so i could see back there at night
mad2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 03:08 PM   #18
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
In my research Ceramic Tint is better at Heat/UV/glare rejection than normal tint so I got for the wifes car as it was sitting out in the sun all day whilst she was at work. It cost $100 more than the non ceramic option but was worth it for me. I dont get drive her car a heap during the day so cant directly comment on the application in the real world but my wife assures me its awesome.
Sweet. I live in the outback, and car sits outside all day at work. 45+ days in summer. I probably wouldn't bother getting my g6e redone, but we just sold the wife's audi and bought a 4wd. If there's tint there's not much to it, and the closest tint place is racq, extra $50 for ceramic. (Well, bit more than 50 over their cheapest, but I wouldn't get that one)
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2021, 09:46 PM   #19
xrplease

Metal films used to be the best but now Ceramic films are the go. Ceramic doesn't have issue with upsetting radio reception if the back window is tinted. They used to use metal film on all windows except the back where they used plastic so it didn't mess with the radio antenna. The plastic films would bubble, discolour and fail sooner.
xrplease is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post