Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-04-2021, 08:25 PM   #841
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Crypto $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
So you don't want to know that it's at $1.90 now then?
No... lalalala.
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #842
PHATAL
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
PHATAL would have bought in at the high 40 / low 50 US cent mark, 100% in three years isn’t bad. The only tangible I can think of that’s matching is some Launceston real estate.
NOPE. I bought in at $3.91............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................................

XF Falcon S Update EFI - SOLD
EL2 XR8 - SOLD
BF F6 RSPEC #139 - SOLD
Now rocking the SZ Territory Titanium Petrol Family Beast
PHATAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2021, 09:33 AM   #843
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m sorry. I’d hoped you doubled your stake!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2021, 10:34 AM   #844
pcman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

a friend asked me how i would invest 10k, i told her to buy bitcoin that was when they where 5-7k..... what would i know lol she ignored me
pcman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-04-2021, 11:31 PM   #845
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

When I cashed out before the big crash a few years ago I left a little in. I looked today at my portfolio the first time in 2 years. Nice to see a 1500% rise since the crash. Lots of people buying in right now, it’s only a matter of time before it levels out again.
Old 14-04-2021, 12:40 AM   #846
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My sister knows I'm into crypto and she asked me around August last year if she should buy in. Bitcoin had just gone from around AUD$13k to AUD$17k so I said who knows but if it was me I would wait for it to correct. She reminded me of that this arvo when it went over AUD$82k. I reminded her I said I would wait but I also have no ****ing idea, and reminded her to never listen to anyone in crypto, even moreso those that think they have some idea.
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2021, 02:05 PM   #847
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
My sister knows I'm into crypto and she asked me around August last year if she should buy in. Bitcoin had just gone from around AUD$13k to AUD$17k so I said who knows but if it was me I would wait for it to correct. She reminded me of that this arvo when it went over AUD$82k. I reminded her I said I would wait but I also have no ****ing idea, and reminded her to never listen to anyone in crypto, even moreso those that think they have some idea.
I see it as a form of gambling, when I was actively trading I wasn't using money I couldnt afford to lose. Look at my wifes Aunty and Uncle, they bought 2500 bitcoin at $1 each, sold them all for $18000, made a tidy sum after tax and they were just normal middle class people. As with the many success stories you never really hear the sad stories. People remortaging houses, spending all their savings, putting every cent they had and then sold in the last crash and lost it all. You win some, you lose some, you do you.

If you look at the trend of it though, just like shares, you hold and you generally won't lose out. I won't discuss what i've now got left but in the crash it was in the 100's of dollars, 3 years later its risen 1500%, it's a crazy game that's for sure.
Old 14-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #848
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2021, 05:50 PM   #849
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah this is getting silly now.

Got triple my initial investment out in December 2017, which was not a huge amount, but it felt good to know I cannot lose and what i had left in was just play money that cost me nothing, and was not really a lot of money after the January 2018 crash.

But that play money that meant nothing to me has now turned into a fairly significant sum. I mean it is still free money, but is now an amount that it would suck to see most of it evaporate in the next crash, even though it cost me nothing at all...but so hard to pull anything out when you keep waking up to 10% and 20% gains.

I know I should at least sell some of it, but that is hard to do when you are also fighting the urge actually put more fiat into it (which I have never done other than my very first amount that I then withdrew long ago)...plus I haven't had a taxi/uber driver or workmate try talking to me about crypto (which was my sell signal that saw me get out just before the previous crash).

Weird how quickly it can go from who gives a **** money to ****-off money.

EDIT: **** it, put in some sell orders for very small part of my stack for just a little bit higher than current...so crash in 3, 2, 1...

Right now as I type this, what Laszlo spent on 2 large pizzas in 2010 is now worth AUD$845,145,000...nearly a billion dollars for 2 large pizzas.

Last edited by Mulva; 14-04-2021 at 06:06 PM.
Old 14-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #850
CJR09
RPO 77

Well xrp just took a 10pct dump in one 10min candle, now slowly clawing its way back up to 190...

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2021, 10:00 PM   #851
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJR09 View Post
Well xrp just took a 10pct dump in one 10min candle, now slowly clawing its way back up to 190...
Not to sure what chart you're looking at but this one shows it around $2.39.

Old 14-04-2021, 10:13 PM   #852
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Reckon he was talking USD
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2021, 10:13 PM   #853
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

a lot of people work of USD rates, the USD markets are much bigger (more liquid).

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-04-2021, 10:20 PM   #854
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by data_mine View Post
a lot of people work of USD rates, the USD markets are much bigger (more liquid).
I like AUD.....it sounds more
Old 14-04-2021, 10:28 PM   #855
CJR09
RPO 77

Yup usd - at the mo my chart is set as 10min candela - your one above is a 1hr line

See the 19c red candle in the middle = 10pct loss over 10min

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

Last edited by CJR09; 14-04-2021 at 10:36 PM.
CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2021, 11:53 AM   #856
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I see it as a form of gambling, when I was actively trading I wasn't using money I couldnt afford to lose. Look at my wifes Aunty and Uncle, they bought 2500 bitcoin at $1 each, sold them all for $18000, made a tidy sum after tax and they were just normal middle class people. As with the many success stories you never really hear the sad stories. People remortaging houses, spending all their savings, putting every cent they had and then sold in the last crash and lost it all. You win some, you lose some, you do you.

If you look at the trend of it though, just like shares, you hold and you generally won't lose out. I won't discuss what i've now got left but in the crash it was in the 100's of dollars, 3 years later its risen 1500%, it's a crazy game that's for sure.
I've done well out of it, but often wonder what my life would be like if I was one of those early adopters...but then I also know that if I had got in at $1 like your uncle and aunt I likely would have sold at about $20, then probably got back in at $50 and sold at $200, and so on and so on.

No way I could have held from $1 to $18k without selling (or held from $1 to $84k); would have sold the moment it had gone to life-changing money. Not a bad thing of course as would still have walked away with life-changing money, just my island would have been smaller than if I had hodl'ed.

Thought about getting in back in 2012...didn't enter until 2016
3 users like this post:
Old 15-04-2021, 03:45 PM   #857
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Further to the above, I would hate for these success stories to influence someone into jumping in now with money they can't afford to lose.

Market could correct at any moment, or the bull could still yet run for weeks or months - I certainly don't know, all I do know is every day and every increase is bringing us closer to the next correction which will happen at some point.

And what I also know is I don't know **** - so make of that what you will.

Those that are in, what bags are you holding now, and what have been your best/worst performing. Obviously made some gains from BTC and ETH, but my biggest wins have been Link, BNB and recently XRP. Very small handful of DOGE from 2016 purchased as a joke too has given big percentage gain but not that much in terms of $ as was literally about $5 worth back then. Worst performing is Nano - which was one of my best performing back when it was Raiblocks, but then that Italian guy "suffered a stolen" and the rest is history.
Old 19-04-2021, 09:00 PM   #858
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The doge isnt stopping, its now 5th biggest coin by market cap.

Would be funny if doge ends up winning over some more of the big ones, and the myriad of ****coins that every man and his dog has created.

I hold none, shouldve been smarter when musk tweeted about it.

Last edited by GasoLane; 19-04-2021 at 09:31 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2021, 09:31 PM   #859
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
The doge isnt stopping, its now 5th biggest coin by market cap.

Would be funny if doge ends up winning over some more of the big ones, and the myriad of ****coins that every man and his dog has created.

I hold none, shouldve been smarter when musk tweeted about it.
Ok I give up, what is the dodge?
Old 19-04-2021, 09:36 PM   #860
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Ok I give up, what is the dodge?
Scroll down to where it says 'about dogecoin' .

Its under the chart and key metrics, that show its up 38 percent in the last 24hrs and the year to date return ... of 8,381.58 %

https://www.coindesk.com/price/dogecoin
2 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #861
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumen8 View Post
Scroll down to where it says 'about dogecoin' .. its under the chart that shows its up 38 percent in the last 24hrs. (on top of all the other times its run up recently)

https://www.coindesk.com/price/dogecoin
Ahh gottit.
Old 19-04-2021, 09:39 PM   #862
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Much wow.

I think you’ll need to school the ‘saurus back to Doge meme days.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2021, 05:21 PM   #863
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 30-04-2021, 06:33 PM   #864
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Lol...
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2021, 11:43 AM   #865
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I think this is spot on:
Quote:
If Cryptocurrency Was Honest | Honest Ads (Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Stellar, and Binance Parody)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUs5y9leCyA
Old 07-10-2021, 01:46 PM   #866
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Got several coins already. Will look forward to buying some Rogecoin when available.

Liked his pitch

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 07-10-2021 at 02:01 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2021, 10:21 PM   #867
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I actually got around to officially closing my dormant account the other week after getting a bit of junk updates. Big ups for BTC Markets support for not trying to drag it out and keep me around.

No BS. So if I want to go with crypto in the future I will go back to them I reckon.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2021, 11:36 AM   #868
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Commonwealth Bank announces game-changing move

The Commonwealth Bank will be the first major Australian bank to offer customers the ability to buy, sell and hold cryptocurrency directly through its app.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/money/investing/commonwealth-bank-announces-gamechanging-move/news-story/
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-11-2021, 08:06 PM   #869
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG it has taken the banks long enough to work out that this is a good move.
Crypto is not going to go away.
They are actually more set up for it than they think, and will profit from transaction fees ect.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2021, 08:08 PM   #870
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
OMG it has taken the banks long enough to work out that this is a good move.
Crypto is not going to go away.
They are actually more set up for it than they think, and will profit from transaction fees ect.
I was reading today that many of the top billionaires this year all started crypto buy / sell platforms...