Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-03-2021, 09:39 PM   #91
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Default Re: 2001 AUII ute immobilizer problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtrot3 View Post
Hi. In that case fit another fuse box. Cheers MD
Am I able to use the one out of the 1999 AUI ute (build date:SEP99)??? I got here or the 2000 AUII sedan here too (build date:JUN00).
FuriousFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #92
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. It should be the same, just be very careful if you change any relays and when you fit the plugs that you dont force any of the terminals into the fusebox. As you unplug the old fusebox make sure that all the pins that stick up into the plugs on the back are not bent over or pushed down into the body of the fusebox. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-03-2021, 10:08 PM   #93
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Hi. It should be the same, just be very careful if you change any relays and when you fit the plugs that you dont force any of the terminals into the fusebox. As you unplug the old fusebox make sure that all the pins that stick up into the plugs on the back are not bent over or pushed down into the body of the fusebox. Cheers MD

Installed now. Only difference is different relays and other ute had power windows and ABS. Waiting for further instructions before inserting key and turning to on/acc position.

Last edited by FuriousFord; 29-03-2021 at 10:16 PM.
Old 29-03-2021, 10:46 PM   #94
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

do you have power at fuse 11
does interior light work
turn ignition reds on and check smart shield light
if it turns off try to start
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2021, 10:48 PM   #95
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11ford11 View Post
do you have power at fuse 11
does interior light work
turn ignition reds on and check smart shield light
if it turns off try to start

No interior light or key entry light on ignition and no power to fuse 11 using test light with ignition in off position.
Old 29-03-2021, 11:03 PM   #96
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Unplug the connector at the back of the fuse box with that yellow back wire and check for power on the plug terminal where that wire terminates in the harness plug.
Old 29-03-2021, 11:31 PM   #97
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Unplug the connector at the back of the fuse box with that yellow back wire and check for power on the plug terminal where that wire terminates in the harness plug.

Checked the 3 yellow ones and have power after testing. Door light on dash alight, but still no interior light or key entry light.
Old 30-03-2021, 12:58 AM   #98
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

If you have a multimeter use the old fuse panel you removed to double check which wire powers fuse 11 by finding where you have continuity between the power supply clip end of the fuse holder and a socket pin for the harness sockets on the rear of the panel.
Old 30-03-2021, 01:11 AM   #99
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Also, as I said before, check/swap the Relay 5 the 40Amp Battery Relay as it feeds Fuse 11 via a black wire (Not Yellow) and connector 157 (C-157) if you look at Section A Power Distribution in the Wiring Diagram at http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/aubx/Part%2024-5.html It labelled BK-O so I assume it actually black with an orange trace.

Last edited by aussiblue; 30-03-2021 at 01:19 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2021, 01:52 AM   #100
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

It's very confusing as Section A Power Distribution in the Wiring Diagram seems to conflict with Section H -1 Courtesy Light Illumination which shows it being fed by a Yellow-Black wire via the BCM. Even more reason to trace the power sources to the fuses using a multimeter and the old fuse box.
Old 30-03-2021, 08:12 AM   #101
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Also, as I said before, check/swap the Relay 5 the 40Amp Battery Relay as it feeds Fuse 11 via a black wire (Not Yellow) and connector 157 (C-157) if you look at Section A Power Distribution in the Wiring Diagram at http://fordforums.com.au/wsm/wire/aubx/Part%2024-5.html It labelled BK-O so I assume it actually black with an orange trace.
Hi. There is NO 40 amp battery relay, it is a MAIN FUSE and it seems to be OK as there is power on all 3 pins of connector C157. The wiring colors seem to change with build date and engine sizes. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 30-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #102
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are all wires connected at battery positive terminal
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #103
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I would still check the 40 amp main fuse.
Old 30-03-2021, 06:18 PM   #104
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
The wiring colors seem to change with build date and engine sizes. Cheers MD
The also change a bit on the utes and vans seemingly often using a minor adapted variant of the previous models loom.
Old 30-03-2021, 06:50 PM   #105
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFord View Post
No interior light or key entry light on ignition and no power to fuse 11 using test light with ignition in off position.
Hi. How are you checking for power at the fuse? by touching 1 metal contact in the top of the fuse and earth or checking between the 2 metal contacts? Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 30-03-2021, 07:15 PM   #106
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi. Try checking for power on the black/pink wire naer the middle of the green plug and the 2 yellow black wires in the gray plug beside it. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 30-03-2021, 09:38 PM   #107
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

It's not uncommon for smartshield AUs to forget the keys if they're left sitting for a while and/or the battery goes flat. Shouldn't happen but it does - flash memory can get corrupted if unpowered for a while. A parameter reset usually fixes it. You need two keys and the right tools (can use Forscan on laptop + cheap ELM327 module).

It does sound like there might be another issue here but in post 55 you wrote:
Quote:
Leaving battery disconnected for over 2 hours, then after reconnecting it I left the key in the on (accessory) position for 61 minutes whilst the battery was on charge. The interior light was on during this period of time.
So the interior light was working at this point, after disconnecting the battery? Keep in mind the AU BEM will turn off all the interior lighting after 20 minutes or so with ignition off to avoid draining the battery. There's more to it than just the door switches.
undertow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 09:56 PM   #108
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Quote:
Hi. How are you checking for power at the fuse? by touching 1 metal contact in the top of the fuse and earth or checking between the 2 metal contacts? Cheers MD
Checking between two metal contacts in the fuse slot.
Old 30-03-2021, 10:28 PM   #109
lumen8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousFord View Post
Checking between two metal contacts in the fuse slot.
You need to do the other thing foxtrot3 said, one side on the metal fuse contact and one to an earth point on the vehicle (the door latch bolt near the fuse box usually works for me)

You dont even need to pull the fuses if your test light probe is pointy enough, just touch it onto the bare part of the fuse on one side of it (if its not blown, doesnt matter which side of the fuse)
lumen8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-03-2021, 10:35 PM   #110
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Sorry guys, but I'm not going to be able to get to the ute for a couple of weeks now as I had to leave home for a 2 week photo/video shoot for work. Was hoping to resolve the issue before I left as I need the ute for work, but had to make alternative travel arrangements.

I spoke to a auto-elec from Ford today, and he said that if I dropped or wet the key the chip may have been damaged. I told him that the key was neither dropped or got wet since the last time the ute started. I don't believe I have an issue with the key, as I believe it has something more to do with wiring/circuits. After explaining to him that I had an issue with the park lights and pulled the headlights prior to immobilizer issue, he said to recheck the yellow plug/wire behind the drivers side headlight as I may have disturbed/dislodged the plug. Apparently, this could possibly also upset the circuits causing an issue with the immobilizer issue. He also said to test the yellow wiring for connectivity inside the kick panels on both driver and passenger foot wells. He also mentioned to check plugs on BEM, due to not having interior light and demister re fuses 8, 10 & 11.

I seriously believe it is not a key issue, but more or less something to do with the wiring and circuitry. If key is still good, then they will be able to reprogram the key and reproduce a spare. If not, then I would need to get a working replacement key, barrel, BEM, ECU, door lock, etc.

Not giving up and gonna sort this issue one way or another!!! Had to laugh when the workshop manual I ordered online turned up today before I left. Got other replacement parts on order too, so I'm honestly going to get to this bloody ute going again before I go to my grave!!! Was temped to put the old VN back on the road instead, but need the ute for work and my oversized dog so I'm just going to persevere until it's mobile again. Thanks for all the help you guys too. Much appreciated!!!

Last edited by FuriousFord; 30-03-2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old 30-03-2021, 11:32 PM   #111
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Quote:
Hi. How are you checking for power at the fuse? by touching 1 metal contact in the top of the fuse and earth or checking between the 2 metal contacts?
I wish that question was asked earlier; given the answer it may have saved a lot of time.

The OP needs to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKgmIcmp7eo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlna...annel=2CarPros and some other videos on using automotive test lights and multimeters if he has one.
Old 31-03-2021, 12:20 AM   #112
undertow

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: AU Aux input HOW TO. 

Yep need to test the fuses correctly as above. May just need a parameter reset.

BTW no need to replace the whole lot (key, BEM, column and door locks and ECU) if the key is bad or BEM is bad. New keys can be trained to used BEM, and BEM and ECU can be paired. This is done in the parameter reset. Ford dealer can definately do this, as can any decent auto locksmith. You can DIY it too now with Forscan.

It would be worth getting youself a transponder key blank on ebay ($15), then take it to any corner store locksmith to get the physical cutting done. Then you can get it programmed to the car later if it ends up needing a parameter reset or replacement BEM.

Pretty rare for keys to go bad - the transponder is a passive, fully encapsulated chip.
Old 31-03-2021, 02:00 AM   #113
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I believe the OP said he only got one key with the car. Not blaming the OP for not testing the fuse correctly but we always have the dilemma on the forum of either:

a) Not asking the simple questions and presuming people are doing what me may see as obvious then finding we should have asked; or
b) Insulting people unintentionally when you do ask these sort of questions.
Old 31-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #114
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wish that question was asked earlier; given the answer it may have saved a lot of time.

The OP needs to watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKgmIcmp7eo and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlna...annel=2CarPros and some other videos on using automotive test lights and multimeters if he has one.
Hi. I wish I had asked it earlier myself, now starting to think problems with BEM, either plugs or dry joints on circuit board. A 2 week break will give us all a rest from this one. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2 users like this post:
Old 02-04-2021, 11:58 AM   #115
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

My bad!!! Sorry for the earlier misunderstandings, but like I said I'm no good when it comes to auto electronics and only good with mechanical hands on repairs and maintenance. Anyways I am going to try resolve this issue myself and hopefully I will be able to better understand the basics of auto electrics. I now have a multi-meter, but to be honest I have no idea how to use it. My daughter has also just started a new job with BHP as an apprentice auto-electrician, so she may be able to assist in future dilemmas.

Taking the ute to Ford in Rockhampton is going to be too expensive as I'll need to arrange a tow in addition to any repairs, so I am going to attempt to fix this myself. I have downloaded the FordScan application and have ordered a fuse tester to test fuses properly. Before I order the USB ELM327, which one is better and why? The ELM327 with MS-CAN HS-CAN or the one without???

With regards to getting another transponder or two, is it better to get a spare key with the remote or not??? https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-AU2...YAAOSwFxBXHE6S
Old 03-04-2021, 11:05 AM   #116
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

any key you buy make sure it is the correct one & comes with the 'chip' fitted other wise it may not work.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2021, 09:33 PM   #117
undertow

That key will do the job. Remote doesn't hurt but you don't need it - it operates completely seperately from the key transponder.

The standard ELM327 USB should work, I have one link this
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/USB-ELM3...lar!3084!AU!-1

The ebay cheapies can be a bit of a crapshoot though, i bought two a couple of years ago and one was wired up incorrectly inside
Old 22-04-2021, 12:26 PM   #118
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

Okay guys, I'm finally home and ready to have another crack at trying to sort out the Smartshield immobilizer problem on the ute.

I now have a Narva Blade Fuse Electronic Tester, Obdlink Ex Forscan Obd Adapter (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/184662872797), a new test light (as I couldn't find the old one), an Maw Ellery Workshop Manual (hardcopy) and have downloaded the Forscan application for Windows (with the extended licence activated).

Before I commence, I am going to reinstall the original interior fuse panel, relays and fuses (that was replaced earlier) to retest fuses for power supply as I was testing fuses incorrectly previously, due to my incompetence regarding auto-electrics.

I will follow previous instructions to-date to try isolate any issues that may have been overlooked previously.

Once I have completed the above I will repost any results, but will need assistance with resetting the parameters on the BEM using Forscan in an effort to resolve immobilzer issue.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2021, 03:31 PM   #119
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

I have now reinstalled the original interior fuse panel and checked all fuses using the fuse tester with the ignition in the on/acc position. After testing, each and every fuse has power supply. However, I still have no interior light or key entry light given the fuses are testing positive.

Before I perform the diagnostics test using FORScan, what is the procedure for performing the test. I cannot find any instructions on how to perform the test, so correct me please if the following is not the step-by-step diagnostics procedure.

1. Open FORScan app on laptop.
2. Connect laptop to ute using OBDlink cable.
3. Turn key to on/acc position to perform diagnostics test.
4. Check FORScan app for DTC code/s.
5. If DTC code/s are present, use DTCDecode to determine what the codes are.

Once I have performed initial diagnostics test, I will take a screenshot of the results and upload them here.
Old 22-04-2021, 04:55 PM   #120
FuriousFord
FrustratedAUII

After again downloading the latest version of FORScan (version:2.3.40 beta) and downloading the software and driver for the OBDlink EX cable, I was able to run a diagnostics test on the ute (as pictured).

FORScan detected that my battery level was low, so now the battery is going to be fully charged again overnight before running another diag test in the morning.

Will upload another screenshot after performing another test in the morning.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2021-04-22 151227.png (115.3 KB, 19 views)