Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-04-2021, 09:34 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Cyclists fined for speeding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I feel like everyone aims for a middle speed no matter where they are.

In carparks and city streets up to 50km/h I always have people sitting up my *** and I feel like I'm driving too slow even though I'm just being reasonable.

Then I drive between Sydney and Newcastle down the M1 with my cruise control set to 112km/h GPS verified and I spend half the time in right lane overtaking almost everyone.

It's like everyone aims for 70-80km/h no matter whether the speed limit is 50 or 110.
How good is it when you get stuck behind some slowpoke doing 70km/h on a single lane country highway.

Then said slowpoke goes through the 50 zone in town at 70km/h
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 09-04-2021, 09:37 PM   #32
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Come defect my bike
That saddle looks so uncomfortable, I’m guessing you spend most of the time standing on the pedals.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:50 AM   #33
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Many do but I would say most bikes in this country don't.

I guess the point I was alluding to was, if it is not a legal requirement to have a speed measuring device, how can you be fined for speeding?
If you ride on a road why wouldn't the traffic laws apply? Most of them are slow as **** but I have seen plenty fast ones too easily going 40+

You can get done DUI riding a bike too depending on your state laws

In the ACT at least it is considered the same as drink driving and you will lose your licence if convicted.

This a very old article put proof of this https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sto...to-conviction/

Last edited by MITCHAY; 10-04-2021 at 02:08 AM.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2021, 06:41 AM   #34
prydey
Rob

I've often wondered about the speeding thing on a bike, given they don't come with any speed measuring device and as far as I know, you are under no obligation to fit one.

I run a garmin on mine so am well aware of my speeds and ride responsibly.

I'm actually fully in support of cyclists getting fines for breaking the road rules as well. The muppets that do the things in the article in the first post deserve everything they get as they make life difficult for everyone that tries to do the right thing. As evidenced by some of the comments in this thread even, if someone sees a cyclist break the law they treat all cyclists as guilty. I would like to be judged by my actions, not the actions of someone else. Unfortunately the world is full of small minded people.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:37 AM   #35
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendseeker View Post
That saddle looks so uncomfortable, I’m guessing you spend most of the time standing on the pedals.
No not quite.

What about this one then
https://m.facebook.com/10NewsAdl/vid...0728083325267/
Fair effort I say.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels

Last edited by DJM83; 10-04-2021 at 07:43 AM.
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 07:46 AM   #36
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qld-RTV View Post
if you want to ride your pushbike in an aread with a speed limit which can easily be exceeded on your pushbike, you're the one who bears the responsibility to fit a speed measuring device.
Not sure about that!!

Vehicles can still be driven without seat belts but have been mandatory for years.
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2021, 07:53 AM   #37
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm just walking to work and I have all these arseholes zooming by and the the law of averages says I will eventually get hit someday. Plenty of close calls.

But if I can somehow put my shoulder into it, I look forward to dropping one of these ****s even if it hurts me too but for sure they will be worse off
Old 10-04-2021, 08:21 AM   #38
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Cyclists in the cities are like roos on country roads, I suspect and pedestrians want to ban bull bars.
It all makes sense, if you don't think about it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 08:41 AM   #39
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'm just walking to work and I have all these arseholes zooming by and the the law of averages says I will eventually get hit someday. Plenty of close calls.

But if I can somehow put my shoulder into it, I look forward to dropping one of these ****s even if it hurts me too but for sure they will be worse off
Hopefully your not one of these people walking with their headphones/ear buds in with music playing that loud that no matter how many times a cyclist rings their bell, you have no idea they are coming and abuse them for scaring you.
7 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 08:56 AM   #40
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Hopefully your not one of these people walking with their headphones/ear buds in with music playing that loud that no matter how many times a cyclist rings their bell, you have no idea they are coming and abuse them for scaring you.
No I'm not one of those. The only accessory I have is a durry in my mouth. I regularly look behind me and no **** uses their bell these days
3 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 09:31 AM   #41
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

I run a garmin on mine so am well aware of my speeds and ride responsibly.

I'm actually fully in support of cyclists getting fines for breaking the road rules as well. The muppets that do the things in the article in the first post deserve everything they get as they make life difficult for everyone that tries to do the right thing. As evidenced by some of the comments in this thread even, if someone sees a cyclist break the law they treat all cyclists as guilty. I would like to be judged by my actions, not the actions of someone else. Unfortunately the world is full of small minded people.
Well said.

roKWiz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #42
minheim

Good on the Police for fining them. When I used to cycle to work I remember being abused by some idiot who flashed past me when I stopped at a red light on a central road reserve bike path that crossed a main road. I've never forgotten it as he was zooming along and passed me called me a F***ing Idiot for stopping. I thought he is an accident waiting to happen.

I always rode fairly carefully and if on the the actual road very defensively. I sometimes used to think the biggest danger was other cyclists. I had some work friends who also road to work; two madly and one with head phones. Suffice to say they all had significant accidents. One ran into the back of a bus that moved out from a bus stop and another got side swiped by a truck turning. The headphones guy got hit by another cyclist.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 02:47 PM   #43
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
I sometimes used to think the biggest danger was other cyclists.
Yeah me too.

Old 10-04-2021, 03:06 PM   #44
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I detest electric scooters on CBD footpaths. Pre-COVID, I would say I was having to do an avoidance manoeuvre at least once per week when walking to work or else I would have gotten clobbered. This is in spite of the QLD law that says electric scooters must give way to pedestrians. The worst offenders are the 20-something hipster males. Their behaviour is like no rules apply to them. Some of them easily exceed 25kph limit, more like 40 to 50 kph. So, I wonder if there is an easy hack to remove the speed limiter.

My grump old man letter to the Brisbane City Council got a bland, somewhat condescending, bureaucratic response (not that I expected anything more...)

Good to see the police trying to modify behaviours.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2021, 03:32 PM   #45
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
I detest electric scooters on CBD footpaths. Pre-COVID, I would say I was having to do an avoidance manoeuvre at least once per week when walking to work or else I would have gotten clobbered. This is in spite of the QLD law that says electric scooters must give way to pedestrians. The worst offenders are the 20-something hipster males. Their behaviour is like no rules apply to them. Some of them easily exceed 25kph limit, more like 40 to 50 kph. So, I wonder if there is an easy hack to remove the speed limiter.

My grump old man letter to the Brisbane City Council got a bland, somewhat condescending, bureaucratic response (not that I expected anything more...)

If the users of said scooters were smarter it wouldn't be an issue.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 11:55 AM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post

Might need to start putting them in trees and throwing them in the river - we lost most of our ride share providers after they had to start cleaning up the mess from people in Melbourne CBD being people in Melbourne CBD

I was walking around Southbank Promenade yesterday arvo at around 4PM and there was still cyclists bobbing and weaving in and out of people walking at faster than 10kmh
Old 11-04-2021, 12:47 PM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
How do you know what speed you are doing on a bicycle?
Install a bike speedo. Around $40.

Work very well. Installed one on my Bugeye Sprite and it registered up to 140km/h...

On a... private road, of course... cough cough...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 06:00 PM   #48
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

legislate to have speed limiters on all bikes.....

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 06:32 PM   #49
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Install a bike speedo. Around $40...
Sorry officer i was to busy watching my speedo and totally didn't see the Stephen Hawking look-a-like

Now where have i heard that excuse before

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #50
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
there was still cyclists bobbing and weaving in and out of people walking at faster than 10kmh
Geeze Franco, how fast were the cyclist going ?

Old 11-04-2021, 07:22 PM   #51
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Geeze Franco, how fast were the cyclist going ?
If the people were walking around at 10kmh the push bikes must have been tour de France riders

People were just walking at usual walking pace of course.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:53 PM   #52
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
legislate to have speed limiters on all bikes.....
Good idea. Perhaps limit all cars too given they are far more prevalent at breaking laws...
Old 11-04-2021, 09:41 PM   #53
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty certain in the whole of Melbourne CBD there's better uses of police resources than police holding speed detection cameras pointed at cyclists.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #54
prydey
Rob

I'm surprised it took 54 posts but a thread about cyclists was going to go down that path eventually.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #55
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
I feel like everyone aims for a middle speed no matter where they are.

In carparks and city streets up to 50km/h I always have people sitting up my *** and I feel like I'm driving too slow even though I'm just being reasonable.

Then I drive between Sydney and Newcastle down the M1 with my cruise control set to 112km/h GPS verified and I spend half the time in right lane overtaking almost everyone.

It's like everyone aims for 70-80km/h no matter whether the speed limit is 50 or 110.
It's funny you say that. I've noticed a lot of people who overtake me while I'm doing the speed limit in a 50/60 zone are the same ones who I then overtake on the highway.

As for the cyclists, I reckon a lot of the hard-core ones are on strava. They probably have their phone or other device strapped to their handlebars showing their speed, and they don't want to slow down because they're trying to keep their average speed up for the particular section they're riding on, or are trying to beat a time so won't slow for pedestrians.

I enjoyed doing that too while cycling, but I tried to avoid places with pedestrians and cars.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2021, 03:09 PM   #56
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
It's funny you say that. I've noticed a lot of people who overtake me while I'm doing the speed limit in a 50/60 zone are the same ones who I then overtake on the highway.

As for the cyclists, I reckon a lot of the hard-core ones are on strava. They probably have their phone or other device strapped to their handlebars showing their speed, and they don't want to slow down because they're trying to keep their average speed up for the particular section they're riding on, or are trying to beat a time so won't slow for pedestrians.

I enjoyed doing that too while cycling, but I tried to avoid places with pedestrians and cars.
I use Strava, but it's not all about segment times etc. It's a great way to log your activities and keep track of the age of your components etc.
Old 17-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #57
Qld-RTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivorya View Post
Not sure about that!!

Vehicles can still be driven without seat belts but have been mandatory for years.
yes, but when they were made mandatory, fitment wasnt made to be a retrospective requirement, simply cant require them to be fitted when there was no structure to safely support them.....

wearing a seatbelt is required in a vehicle that has them, but if the vehicle doesnt have a seatbelt, you clearly cant wear something that isnt there....

speed on the other hand....
Qld-RTV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2021, 01:26 PM   #58
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qld-RTV View Post
yes, but when they were made mandatory, fitment wasnt made to be a retrospective requirement, simply cant require them to be fitted when there was no structure to safely support them.....

wearing a seatbelt is required in a vehicle that has them, but if the vehicle doesnt have a seatbelt, you clearly cant wear something that isnt there....

speed on the other hand....
Only difference is The car has a Speedo, the bike doesn't.

So to mandate retrofit a speedo on all bikes before a certain date ..............
Old 17-04-2021, 11:37 PM   #59
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Darwin works in mysterious ways.

https://theconversation.com/cyclists...ng-damage-8429
Old 18-04-2021, 08:22 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Can confirm problems/side effects caused by exercise bike and down stairs, you should be wearing cycling shorts if you're going to hit the push bike or exercise bike regularly.

Think chafing, but not your thunder thighs and what it does to something with a lot of nerve endings in it