Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-04-2021, 01:23 PM   #1
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What if idea

Hear me out.... This about scouting talent for any sports & becoming rich as a promoter.

We all know how poor alot of people are in Africa, & what they endure & how desperate they would be to escape poverty.

As a promoter, after an initial outlay, what if they organized & paid like 50 candidates (who have already undergone a rigirous qualification test) to train hard for a year in any sport, tennis, running, boxing whatever, with all the correct equipment, training etc, and the prize for the most improved/talented wins a modest contract to get them on the world stage.

One can only imagine how hard they would work to make the cut.

Top idea..... Or have I hit the turps too early today?
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #2
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: What if idea

For aspiring Atheletes there is already funding available> I know this is case in Uganda.

Mostly they just want work or someone to buy their produce or products.
Achieving fame & fortune is one thing, basic survival for your family is a lot more important.
Old 10-04-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Understood. But fame makes the world go around. It would be nice as an entrepreneur to have the funding to have hardcore dedicated athletes under contract. I believe this would be a successful way to find potentials
Old 10-04-2021, 03:04 PM   #4
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Apparently soccer is their key focus.

"" The government allocated Shillings 16.4 billion to the sports sector in the 2020/2021 financial year. However, over Shillings 10 billion was ring-fenced for the Federation of Uganda Football Associations- FUFA. This leaves a balance of Shillings 6.4 billion for the remaining federation to share""
Old 10-04-2021, 03:15 PM   #5
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 08:19 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My parents had a black servant called Phillip (how ironic/topical), the manservants were known as a “boy”.

They once bought him a bike to commute. He was soon bashed and the bike stolen. They didn’t buy him another one.

I once asked, why didn’t they help him with any skills to improve his lot, like driving or basic literacy - the answer “We never thought of it”. When they left for Australia, he was nothing to them; just discarded.

While it was 60-odd years ago, I honestly don’t think Tonz is far off the mark even today.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-04-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon_bandit View Post
Apparently soccer is their key focus.

"" The government allocated Shillings 16.4 billion to the sports sector in the 2020/2021 financial year. However, over Shillings 10 billion was ring-fenced for the Federation of Uganda Football Associations- FUFA. This leaves a balance of Shillings 6.4 billion for the remaining federation to share""
16.4 billion Ugandan shiillings = $AU5899.56
$AU100.oo = 277986.70 Ugandan shiillings
when visiting there it takes time to get your head around these figures, then again after 3 visits I just dont give a toss, when I know what a family will spend to host me for a meal at their home, would cover 1.5 weeks food for family.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:25 PM   #8
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not knocking your idea or train of thought because you come across as genuine, but this has been the norm for 200+ plus years, probably longer - exploitation of the tribes or ghettos. All about the coin.

Where do the best boxers come from? Sheltered families or troubled backgrounds?
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 12:24 PM   #9
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unfortunately it's not just Africa, many other countries too, just look in South America too.
All those people trying to get into the USA across the border, what a mess.
I did a tour of South Africa 2 years ago. I knew it was very a very poor life for many people there, but I was not prepared for the level of it.
Our poor in Oz are millionaires compared to these folk.
Unfortunately there will always be the haves and the have nots.
The OP is a good idea, but probably impractical at grass roots. Better off just trying to support a family in one of those impoverished countries.
As sure as eggs though, if you did support one of those sporting talent groups, the fat cats would take the cream.
Corruption is endemic and just the way of life there.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-04-2021, 10:32 PM   #10
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the gov would have powers there to take a cut