Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-07-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
Rosscco

Default ABS light on

My ABS light is on all the time - on gas or petrol.
The traction control light comes on as well when i switch it to petrol.
I hooked up a scanner and get a PID 1221:

"Traction control system malfunction where applicable DTC P1221 is reported if there is a communication fault between the Traction Control Module (ASR) module and PCM

Improper connection, short to Vehicle Power (VPWR) or ground in Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) connection between ASR module and PCM. VSS signal open circuit

Faulty ASR module, refer to Group 2, Brakes. faulty PCM"

Any idea where to start fault finding this?

Thanks in advance
Ross

Rosscco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #2
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 
Default Re: ABS light on

At a guess, I would say your ABS sensors. From the wording of what you have provided (no idea where that came from) one of your ABS sensors will have a short on it. 2 wire sensor - ground and signal are commoned together. Seeing you have a scanner, unplug each sensor one at a time - refreshing the scanner each time. You should work out which sensor it is.

Hope that helps
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

Quarter Mile: 13.73 @ 105.86mph

Runner Up NA/DA to BF Fairlane/LTD Geelong AFD 2024

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Custom twin 2.5" exhaust w Herrod modifed extractors, Tuned with Moates QH
auIILTD is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Rosscco

The description of the PID came from this site, from the DTC link above.
I also found faultfinding in the technical section, I missed it at first as it was called ALB and I was expecting ABS.
Thanks for your help, at least now I know where to start.

Ross
Rosscco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the effort put into the Australia day cruise to Albury Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: AU Tech article. 

Good luck with it. Let us know how you go.

Cheers
Stu

5.6L 342ci T3 Short, AFR165 heads, Comp XE270HR-12 Cam, Brembo 4/4s(355/330), T3 5 spokes, LC-1 wideband, Whiteline HD swaybars, TCE 3K Hi Stall, PWR Auto Trans Cooler, Koni shocks, King Low Springs, Hurricane headers, 100 cpsi cats, Twin 2.5" exhaust.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

Old 07-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #5
Kimberley Downs
Starter Motor

Hi,
I have an abs light problem with my AU 3 one ton ute as well, it seems to be random and the brakes pulses are applied when the light is not on sometimes. When starting the engine the light goes out with the normal engine check and then comes on once the brakes are applied, but not always. Sometmes it will stay off for quite a while the appear for no real reason. I am at a loss here The brakes work fine with the light on or off other than the pulsing brakes.
Kimberley Downs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2013, 11:22 PM   #6
UtterNutter
Starter Motor

My first post. ok. Well I have a ford au wagon 2000 series 1. I have owned vehicle for around 2 and half years. A few probs in that time, exhaust replacement, power windows ratted out. Past few weeks ABS dash light has been randomly coming on. Can't see any pattern. Two mechanical inspections have both failed to obtain codes from abs computer. Any ideas from fellow 2000 au owners or anyone else in the know what options I should pursue. The car is braking fine when abs light on. I thought maybe a little mushy at low speed but can't pin that now. The car is prob only a 1000 - 1500 private sale now so it getting to point that it not economical to plow big bucks into it. Thanx for any responses in advance. P.s Globalism sux. Wake up FORD management.
UtterNutter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
TRAU BLAU

My ABS light only came on once when I was inflating tyres at Servo.with wheels turned askew.Maybe wheel-sensor got an incorrect reading but later rectified itself.
TRAU BLAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2021, 10:50 PM   #8
Bf III 4.0
Starter Motor

hi all
i have a bf series 3 wagon and i have a abs and traction control light on i have scanned the car and the code it gave me C1178 witch said (LEFT REAR SPEED SENSOR COHERENCY FAULT) i have since replaced the wheel speed sensor but it did not fix it so i done a live data test with the scan tool both rear speed sensor where reading the same i have pulled it apart cleaned everything but still made no difference

any help would be greatly appreciated
Bf III 4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

This is the AU forum. you'll get better responses from the B Series.
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2021, 01:46 PM   #10
Afstoddart
Starter Motor

Hi I have an issue with my abs and traction control lights are on they are intermittent but have been told it is the sensor at the top of the engine bit can't remember whatbits called any one know?
Afstoddart is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2021, 02:11 PM   #11
connie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afstoddart View Post
Hi I have an issue with my abs and traction control lights are on they are intermittent but have been told it is the sensor at the top of the engine bit can't remember whatbits called any one know?
I had same problem with my FG replaced switch located above brake pedal
fixed problem.Cheers.
connie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2023, 09:29 PM   #12
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

ABS light has started coming on in AU3 wagon.
Only happens after about 15 minutes of driving, at any speed, every time. And maybe after touching the brake?
Forscan shows ABS DTC C1233 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing.

I removed and cleaned the sensor and ring with brake cleaner.
Reset Forscan and code was gone and for about 2 weeks the ABS warning light no longer came on at all

However ABS warning light is now coming on again and Forscan is again showing code C1233.
If I replace the left front sensor will this likely solve he problem?
The fact that cleaning the sensor provided a short term fix would tend to indicate that?
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2023, 09:34 PM   #13
auIILTD
5.6L x 2 pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by asimplelife View Post
ABS light has started coming on in AU3 wagon.
Only happens after about 15 minutes of driving, at any speed, every time. And maybe after touching the brake?
Forscan shows ABS DTC C1233 - Left Front Wheel Speed Sensor Input Signal Missing.

I removed and cleaned the sensor and ring with brake cleaner.
Reset Forscan and code was gone and for about 2 weeks the ABS warning light no longer came on at all

However ABS warning light is now coming on again and Forscan is again showing code C1233.
If I replace the left front sensor will this likely solve he problem?
The fact that cleaning the sensor provided a short term fix would tend to indicate that?
All indications would say yes. Your only way to find out for sure is to replace it.

My guess is that replacing will fix it. If you are not sure, swap it with the RH one and see if the fault follows.

2002 XR8 pursuit 250

2 users like this post:
Old 24-05-2023, 06:55 PM   #14
asimplelife
mechanical novice hopeful
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by auIILTD View Post
All indications would say yes. Your only way to find out for sure is to replace it. My guess is that replacing will fix it. If you are not sure, swap it with the RH one and see if the fault follows.

Thankyou.
I had a spare one so swapped it over today. Cleared the fault codes with FORScan. Took it for a longish drive. No light and no codes.
But then that is what happened when I just cleaned the original one about a month ago, before both reappeared a couple of weeks later.. So I'll need to wait a while now and see what happens.
asimplelife is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: