Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 30-06-2006, 10:15 PM   #31
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

No worries mate .I will take a double dose of heart tablets and just smash the wagon doubly hard towards the finish line!! I am sure the tyres are gonna be awesome.
Just making sure ive done everything I can to get tratcion right from all angles..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 12:45 AM   #32
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unless you have atleast 300rwkw. I doubt you'll have a single traction issue with the MT radials. Naughts swapped from street tyres to MT street radials and went slower as the stall convertor was too small. It pulled the engine down.

Don't stress, you won't spin them. The suggestions are above are spot on if you are after more detailed info? -> http://www.mickeythompsontires.com specifies the type of burnout and pressures to run.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 08:50 AM   #33
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

12 - 16 psi..nice thanks for that..I think I am ready.Fingers crossed it is cryogenically cold and everything is right.

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Old 01-07-2006, 01:50 PM   #34
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
no big burnouts on slicks thats just for public veiwing it actully makes the slicks greasy..roll through the water no brake 2nd gear stab the throttle shift 3rd as soon as u feel the slicks bit and beleieve me u'll feel it.. u'r ready to stage..
For some reason i don't think the Stingray wagon will toast them in 2nd whilst rolling and no break.....just a hunch.

get them sticky and go for broke stav. Running lean up top hey? Should be making some decent power now. 97mph+???

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 02:08 PM   #35
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
For some reason i don't think the Stingray wagon will toast them in 2nd whilst rolling and no break.....just a hunch.

get them sticky and go for broke stav. Running lean up top hey? Should be making some decent power now. 97mph+???

whats 97mph in klms ph any one know the conversion?? :
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 02:22 PM   #36
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
whats 97mph in klms ph any one know the conversion?? :
Multiply mph by 8; then divide answer by 5.
The equation is : 1 km = 0.625 mile = 5/8 mile.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #37
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Big burnouts are for show only. Read the manufacturers instructions; try it out then experiment and work out what suits you best.

The old racers advice above is well worth listening to. Generally the tyres only need dampness to lessen potential damage to the drive train.

Try as above said leaving the line with the convertor loaded a bit. It won't "shock" the tyres like mashing the loud pedal down will. When the car leaves keep feeding throttle into it when you feel the tyres can handle it.
If you keep "over accelerating" and wheelspinning you need to use a bit more discipline when driving.
It takes time and experience to be good at this sport. It rarely happens overnight.

Have a look at the tyres straight after a run. You can learn to "read" them and they will tell you an awful lot about your run.
If they show a darker band down the centre of the tyre the pressure is probably too high. If they show bands around the outsides the pressure probably too low. If chatter marks are visible on the tyres (like if you wheelspun on corrugated road) it probably is axle tramping.

An important thing is to learn to drive consistently first and get a good feel for the car. Don't do one run with new tyres and change something. Make it leave the line the same way for a few runs and then see what difference a change makes.
Change tyre pressures one pound at a time. It makes a difference. When you get it working you'll only change them maybe 1/2 pound at a time.

and have fun.

northey
Old 01-07-2006, 02:56 PM   #38
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
Big burnouts are for show only. Read the manufacturers instructions; try it out then experiment and work out what suits you best.

The old racers advice above is well worth listening to. Generally the tyres only need dampness to lessen potential damage to the drive train.

Try as above said leaving the line with the convertor loaded a bit. It won't "shock" the tyres like mashing the loud pedal down will. When the car leaves keep feeding throttle into it when you feel the tyres can handle it.
If you keep "over accelerating" and wheelspinning you need to use a bit more discipline when driving.
It takes time and experience to be good at this sport. It rarely happens overnight.

Have a look at the tyres straight after a run. You can learn to "read" them and they will tell you an awful lot about your run.
If they show a darker band down the centre of the tyre the pressure is probably too high. If they show bands around the outsides the pressure probably too low. If chatter marks are visible on the tyres (like if you wheelspun on corrugated road) it probably is axle tramping.

An important thing is to learn to drive consistently first and get a good feel for the car. Don't do one run with new tyres and change something. Make it leave the line the same way for a few runs and then see what difference a change makes.
Change tyre pressures one pound at a time. It makes a difference. When you get it working you'll only change them maybe 1/2 pound at a time.

and have fun.

northey

Sounds like u no what ur talking about bro, so im gunna try that. _2:
Thanks for the conversion..i wrote it down this time ...
Old 01-07-2006, 03:15 PM   #39
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's a pleasure.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:58 AM   #40
Stav
Smile

is there anything I can do to improve the suspension.Will different shocks make a difference to traction?

Old 08-07-2006, 01:03 AM   #41
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by useless
is there anything I can do to improve the suspension.Will different shocks make a difference to traction?
yes. If the front shocks lift fast and fall slow this assists weight transfer and traction. You'd need to swap to drag shocks 90/10's. Doing the times your doing it'd be a waste of $ though. An example : My XB runs factory suspension. Though thats going to change very soon.

Old 08-07-2006, 09:15 AM   #42
Stav
Smile

I am not sure what is up with the wagon but it loves to spin the lsd even if I stomp it at 40 kays. It has gained extra power in the past week and its not launchable by hitting full throttle. Using the stallie is going to be a vain exercise ,I dont even try. I have a sneaking suspicion suspension and weight distribution of the au wagon may be an issue. I would have thought the wagon was heavier than a sedan in the back.

I was told that harder shocks would assist traction but not sure to believe the guy. I really appreciate everyones input thanks guys.

I must find a solution because it is becoming an issue for daily driving.Not that I dont like it ,its a barrel of laughs but I want to make sure the safety is upgraded to suit.

Old 08-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #43
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What brand tyre and what size do you run on the street?

Old 08-07-2006, 04:59 PM   #44
Stav
Smile

dark horse 205/65/15. I had problems before with dunlop sp3000 somethings and pirellis.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM   #45
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your not going to get traction with 205's I'm affraid. My stock EL spins 215's but you expect that with cheap tyres. Your drag tyres I hope are at least an 8" tyre unlike the 6" tyre you currently run. A drag tyre you won't spin. Heat the tyre up and go for a run and try and spin the drag tyre. The only time you'll spin a drag tyre on the street is when you hit debris (rocks or dirt).

Varying your tyre pressure in your street tyres will also assist. My EL runs 215/55/16's @ 35-40psi street use. Amount of wheelspin varies on road surface and tyre pressure.

Old 08-07-2006, 05:35 PM   #46
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

He has M/T et streets 235/60/15, just race it Stav you wont spin them.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 12:34 AM   #47
xdclevo
The Fun Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
He has M/T et streets 235/60/15, just race it Stav you wont spin them.
I doubt he would spin the MT streets at 40km/h on the street but. Fully street tyres on the other hand have to be driven a whole other way. I can roll along and spin mine at 80km/h, but if i don't want to i don't. Just race it and let us know.
2V powahhhhh
xdclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #48
Tri Power 289
Back in the Game!

Quote:
dark horse 205/65/15. I had problems before with dunlop sp3000 somethings and pirellis.
Useless, my car ran its 14.38 on Dunlop SP3000a's with 32 psi and stock XR springs and Hot 460 ran 13s in his BF XR8 ute using them.
I normally run 38-40 on the street and like you, with low diff ratio and high stall, I get wheelspin if I nail it from idle, let alone stalling it up.

The best i ran when I tried a set of MT ET Street tyres with 18 psi and virtually identical tune and weather was 14.7.

If you're going to run them, start with reasonably high pressures, maybe 26-28 and then experiment from there. Otherwise they will drag you down.

Good luck. Can't wait to hear how you go.
70 Mustang Mach1 351 4V/Shaker Auto

Previous forum rides:
XH Falcon Ute 4.0 Auto
BF XR8 5.4 Manual
'88 60 Series Landcruiser Turbo Diesel.
Komatsu 830E Haul Pac- 2500hp, 165tonnes.
AUIII XR6 HP: Prepared by Aussie Car Enhancements & Custom Tuned by Blue Power to a record setting 14.22@96mph.
BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V :Unfinished business.
Tri Power 289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 12:53 PM   #49
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
just race it Stav you wont spin them
lol...that is the best advice.

Stav, the Dunlops you had were SP300's, probably 205/65/15... very different to the SP3000A's that alot of guys are pulling 1.9 second sixty footers on in their heavy BA/BF's.

If you want to step up to a better street tyre, I am keen to get rid of these BA 17" XR rims if you are interested. They are just sitting in my garage taking up space at the moment...

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #50
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri Power 289
Useless, my car ran its 14.38 on Dunlop SP3000a's with 32 psi and stock XR springs and Hot 460 ran 13s in his BF XR8 ute using them.
I normally run 38-40 on the street and like you, with low diff ratio and high stall, I get wheelspin if I nail it from idle, let alone stalling it up.

The best i ran when I tried a set of MT ET Street tyres with 18 psi and virtually identical tune and weather was 14.7.

If you're going to run them, start with reasonably high pressures, maybe 26-28 and then experiment from there. Otherwise they will drag you down.

Good luck. Can't wait to hear how you go.
Mate I am very fortunate to have contacted a hardcore drag racer and hes put me on the road to traction. I will know what pressures work before I get to the track. I just need a quiet road, my pressure gauge and a pump which I already have.
I have timed the car with gtech to 100 kays and subsequently estimate a flat 15 .I had massive wheelspin and no stalling up of the converter whatsoever when testing and I just stomped the accelerator and had 150kgsd of tools in the back!!.If I get the car to stall to 2700 rpm and get traction I think I will get back into the top ten for my cars class.Thanks for your good wishes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
lol...that is the best advice.

Stav, the Dunlops you had were SP300's, probably 205/65/15... very different to the SP3000A's that alot of guys are pulling 1.9 second sixty footers on in their heavy BA/BF's.

If you want to step up to a better street tyre, I am keen to get rid of these BA 17" XR rims if you are interested. They are just sitting in my garage taking up space at the moment...

Gosh xr8ute !! You are right those werent the tyres I had. I missed a "0".

Last edited by Stav; 09-07-2006 at 09:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2006, 09:17 PM   #51
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

A public road will not offer the same grip levels as the track, so you could be wasting your time, just take the car to the strip and try it.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2006, 09:31 PM   #52
Stav
Smile

If you get an even black mark on the road then the tyre gets maximum contact to the ground.This is my goal

Old 10-07-2006, 11:41 AM   #53
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
If you get an even black mark on the road then the tyre gets maximum contact to the ground.This is my goal
Ive also heard that if you get scratches across the whole tyre evenly, on a rough road...then your tyre pressure is perfect, because its touching the ground well.
Old 10-07-2006, 05:00 PM   #54
Stav
Smile

I can now officially say that dunlop sp3000a's dont offer a solution for my traction problems.However they look bloody marvelous. :hihi:

Old 11-07-2006, 09:50 AM   #55
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
I can now officially say that dunlop sp3000a's dont offer a solution for my traction problems.However they look bloody marvelous. :hihi:

I beleive you. I have more grip in a straight line with my new cheapy tyres than i did with the dunlop sp3000s. Different story around a corner tho :thebirds:
Old 14-07-2006, 05:16 PM   #56
Stav
Smile

Quote:
Stav,you wont spin the M/T's at the track in the wagon, just rip a big burnout first up,They worked better for me when I bushfired em. Stop worrying about it they'll go well.
They did really well mate..thank you.Youre a leventi !!!! :sm_headba

Old 14-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #57
hot460

Quote:
They did really well mate..thank you.Youre a leventi !!!! :sm_headba
So I guess you ran the car on wed....... How did you go?
Old 14-07-2006, 08:02 PM   #58
Stav
Smile

14.77 92.71 mph
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=56339

Only got one run.The sp3000a's will be used only for burnout comps if I ever go again.

Nugget is called nugget for a reason the mt did the job