Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
Falcman0o7
Banned

Default Will we ever beat cancer?

What do you think?
I bloody hope we do soon im hearing of to many victims :(

Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: Will we ever beat cancer?

Broad question, but in short; Yes we will.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
What do you think?
I bloody hope we do soon im hearing of to many victims :(
+1 here.
has taken a lot of good people recently , ( mates wife being one of them ).

Last edited by Mickxr8; 17-12-2011 at 09:31 PM. Reason: missed a bit
Mickxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 10:35 PM   #4
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

I think so. Maybe towards the end of our lifetimes; it is a disease that has afflicted humanity for its entire existence; however modern medicine and science has only just started to unravel the secrets of cancer and there is a lot of misunderstanding and just plain wrong info out there about it that needs to be reconciled first.

We will beat it, but we're not quite there yet.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I guess some may not answer this question as it's too painfully close to home..
Will we ever beat cancer?
I REALLY hope so !!!!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

probably, whether they do it before some silly bugger presses the big nuke button, of that i`m not so sure of .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:03 AM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hope so. Would love for my aunt and uncle on my mothers side to beat it.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:13 AM   #8
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Some forms of cancer are already getting beaten, especially when detected early. Some forms still need more research to beat them fully.

So yes, long run they all will be beaten.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #9
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

I sure hope so. Lost my dad this year to it.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I believe we will and at the risk of sounding conspiratorial I also believe we could have already except for the multi billion dollar industry in treatments not really wanting a cure found , they will fund any number of treatment based research projects but not research to find a cure .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #11
351capri
windsorman

Thumbs down Re: Will we ever beat cancer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrongwaynorris
I believe we will and at the risk of sounding conspiratorial I also believe we could have already except for the multi billion dollar industry in treatments not really wanting a cure found , they will fund any number of treatment based research projects but not research to find a cure .
spot on. if the pharmacuticals really wanted a cure we'd be there by now. pres nixon declared war on cancer in the sixties and spent a ***** load on funding for a cure. just look at how far weve come in electronics, travel, vehicle design,comfort, safety and economy. vitually all facets of life have gone forward in leaps and bounds.but the big c seems to march on unabated!
Old 18-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #12
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

My pop got prostate cancer 6 years ago and has aquired 3 other secondary cancers as well.In the last two years he has been given 3 lots of you have "months to live" from the doctors.

Today his prostate count is down to 2 or 3 and two of the other secondary cancers have been beaten.He didnt stop working untill 2.5 years after diagnosis.

I remember when the doc said he needs to take up a hobby or something.He replied with"I am working 40hours a week and my hobby is having a punt".

I hope I inherited his fighting attributes
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars could run on water if we really wanted but guess who shot that down, I believe its the same with cancer. Eradicating it would probably bring in alot less $$$ than having it linger. And it's far from a conspiracy, we all know the mighty dollar (or more so the greed for it) controls everything
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 04:52 PM   #14
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea90gl
Cars could run on water if we really wanted but guess who shot that down, I believe its the same with cancer. Eradicating it would probably bring in alot less $$$ than having it linger. And it's far from a conspiracy, we all know the mighty dollar (or more so the greed for it) controls everything
Sad to say it though I think you are 100% correct ea90gl, and perhaps I will be criticised for my answer.
It is more profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to have a drug that can help ease the pain and prolong the life of the suffer, than that of one that cures the patient altogether (once cured the purchase of a drug is no longer needed). If the big C was not of a profit issue but a humane one then I believe that it would be already cured. With today’s technology in the fields genealogy, microbiology and genetics much could be achieved as a cure for many things, but alas once again corporate greed dominates over humanity itself and as long as a dollar can be made from the pain and suffering of others a cure will never be made (or should I say never be released to the populous).
Fluorination in water is another financial gain over necessity but I will leave that for another debate.

Humanity’s sever lack of compassion over greed amazes me still to this day.

Keith.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #15
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hopefully. The sooner the better. I really need to get around to donating some money towards some sort of cancer research soon.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 05:03 PM   #16
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRFGXR6
Sad to say it though I think you are 100% correct ea90gl, and perhaps I will be criticised for my answer.
It is more profitable for the pharmaceutical companies to have a drug that can help ease the pain and prolong the life of the suffer, than that of one that cures the patient altogether (once cured the purchase of a drug is no longer needed). If the big C was not of a profit issue but a humane one then I believe that it would be already cured. With today’s technology in the fields genealogy, microbiology and genetics much could be achieved as a cure for many things, but alas once again corporate greed dominates over humanity itself and as long as a dollar can be made from the pain and suffering of others a cure will never be made (or should I say never be released to the populous).
Fluorination in water is another financial gain over necessity but I will leave that for another debate.

Keith.
Well said.
Old 18-12-2011, 07:09 PM   #17
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:

Keith.
*SIGH*....Thats what i reckon. Sad that man is so greedy.
We will destroy ourselfs in the end.
Old 18-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #18
Falcman0o7
Banned

I just don't get how we can do this and do that but we can't stop certain cells from multiplying?
Stupid!!!!!!!!
Old 18-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #19
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYBWa7Y6hY

we have had the cure all along
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #20
onroadracer
Starter Motor

i wish they would a very close friend of mine who i work with and have for the last 20 years is about too die of cancer and only has a few weeks too live man cancer is bad my mom also has had a foot of her bowl removed too cancer it seams the good ones always die first (could explained why i am till around )
onroadracer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #21
321Go

Quote:
I will be criticised for my answer.

Keith.
No.. I will not criticise you, because that is 100% the truth. Without saying too much, a family member works in, let's just say.. Antineoplastics, and the money involved is truly astonishing. Billions in profits. The governments also get a cut of the profits, in one way or another (). Too much money (read.. GREED) involved for a cure to be found.

So to answer the OP's question. NO! a cure for ALL cancers will not be allowed to be found.
321Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2011, 10:03 PM   #22
FreddyDUZ747
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctYBWa7Y6hY

we have had the cure all along
LOL at 1:50
FreddyDUZ747 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #23
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No. (and before anyone snaps, I lost my dad to cancer 7 years ago. It's a horrendous disease and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy).

The fact is that the way our cells replicate leaves itself open for mistakes - mutations are the force of change. And uncontrolable replication is happening constantly within us. It's just that our bodies can usually shut it off early.

It's a horrible thought, but it's just not natural to stop this process. And as we get better with diagnosis we are uncovering more cancers. And as we expose our bodies to more and more unnatural elements and chemicals, it's inevitable we will develop more cancers.

I wish we could eliminate all disease, but that would be disturbing the natural balance. We do that enough already. It's a sad fact of life and something I wish we could get rid of, but I just don't think humans can beat mother nature... if we ever did it would be dangerous.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #24
blownvn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll disagree with Andrew and say, we will find a cure eventually, but too late for so many good people.

Dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer last week. The doctors haven't given him a good prognosis.
blownvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #25
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I am glad I am not the only cynical person here that thinks there has always been a cure for cancer. But due to profitability of the pharmaceutical companies, they won't let you get it unless you are willing to spend a shedload of cash to someone. It's not in 'their' best interests to remove the hand that feeds them. They want to keep you alive long enough to continue spending money on their drugs.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 02:03 PM   #26
LTDHO
The one and only

Yes one day, but no one with cancer today will benifit, sad to say.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #27
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownvn
I'll disagree with Andrew and say, we will find a cure eventually, but too late for so many good people.

Dad was diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer last week. The doctors haven't given him a good prognosis.
Damn I am really sorry to hear that.
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2011, 02:58 PM   #28
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
No. (and before anyone snaps, I lost my dad to cancer 7 years ago. It's a horrendous disease and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy).

The fact is that the way our cells replicate leaves itself open for mistakes - mutations are the force of change. And uncontrolable replication is happening constantly within us. It's just that our bodies can usually shut it off early.

It's a horrible thought, but it's just not natural to stop this process. And as we get better with diagnosis we are uncovering more cancers. And as we expose our bodies to more and more unnatural elements and chemicals, it's inevitable we will develop more cancers.

I wish we could eliminate all disease, but that would be disturbing the natural balance. We do that enough already. It's a sad fact of life and something I wish we could get rid of, but I just don't think humans can beat mother nature... if we ever did it would be dangerous.
Exactly what I was going to write basically..
Old 19-12-2011, 10:53 PM   #29
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

i bloody hope so. i think im a sure thing for it
mums side
grandfather = pancreas, skin cancer to the point he had 1 ear and alot of his neck and back muscles cut out, brain tumor (killed him)
grandmother = bowel cancer
mum = leukemia

dads side
grandfather = prostate
dad= thyroid and prostate

not looking good for me
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #30
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

I lost my favourite aunt to that abominable disease this year.

I'm going to have to disagree with the conspiracy theorists on this one. As a scientist, I know of some excellent groups working on the problem of cancer, particularly early cancer detection. A particular group on Germany has found that cancer cells, irrespective of what they are have a distinctly lower Young's Modulus than any healthy cells. A mouth swab and stress-strain testing of the cells has already lead to a 90+% detection rate in clinical trials.