Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 10-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #1
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Question Advice on removal of alternator TX5 V6

Hi Guys,
I am a complete newbie in here so I hope I'm in the right area to be asking this question...
I have a FORD Telstar TX/5 AX2 (1993 build) and I need to replace the alternator as the old one took up smoking a couple of days ago.
I think my question is a pretty simple one as I want to know if there is any easy way to remove the alternator so that I can either have it repaired or replaced.

I have looked at it and from what I can see there only seems to be one way to get it out but I would need to remove the air-conditioner compressor before I can drop the alternator down through the bottom of the engine compartment.:

I am hoping that there might be a tricky but easier way of removing it, but in the case that I have to drop the compressor will I also need to disconnect the compressor from the circuit thus allowing the gas to escape? I am hoping that I don't have to resort to allowing the gas to escape just so that I an replace the alternator.

Any advice on how to remove the alternator will be very much appreciated.:1syellow1

Thanks in advance...

Cheers

Wayne

Old 10-09-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
bivo7
EF Falcon

not quite the right place lol, but you shouldnt have to remove the aircon compressor seems to much work for an alternator, got a pic of the car and its position?
bivo7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 AM   #3
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Thumbs up

Thanks for your reply. I will take another look and see where I should be asking this question and then I will also post a couple of pics to show the problem I am facing.

Cheers
Wayne
Old 11-09-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesso
Thanks for your reply. I will take another look and see where I should be asking this question and then I will also post a couple of pics to show the problem I am facing.

Cheers
Wayne
:
Many thanks to Russ for putting me onto the right thread. Now that we have that sorted out I am hoping that some clever fellow Telstar owner will be able to enlighten me. I will get some pics this afternoon as soon as the sun decides to shine on this side of town.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 15-10-2009, 10:05 PM   #5
fixit again dan
Starter Motor

I hope you have already sorted out the alternator problem, I removed my alternator not so long ago. I had to do it because of the oil cooler lines, the coolant lines that cool the oil near the filter, were totally perished. I'm not sure if they previously put in fuel lines, that start rotting from the inhibitor immediately, or the lines were just old. But they had spring clamps holding the hoses right in under behind the alternator. It was a big full of hassle job and if I can avoid it I will.
After removal of the air intake off the top of the radiator, I removed the radiator. I knew I couldn't fit my hand let alone a spanner of any length in there.
Then with trying many combinations of tools modified ratchet loosened the belt then the bolt the alternator holds onto the motor, there also is an upper bracket of course with three bolts you have to remove.
You may not have to remove the radiator if you have ramps a pit or safe jacking to access the alternator from below.
The pivot bolt as I will call it (I know the alternator does not pivot or move), but it will when the upper bracket is removed, the belt and the 'pivot bolt' on the under side loosened. The alternator may jiggle. If you have removed the radiator and done these stages the 'pivot' bolt and recessed nut into the back of the alternator will not completely disengage the nut easily. The first time it took me hours of frustration to do it because it hits the engine bay wall when winding out.
What I later the second time I removed the alternator (don't ask why),
I found the pivot bolt is not in a solid casing holding it on the motor side and with a wiggle and jiggle you separate the alternator from the two opposing half of a circles that only hold the alternator in when the alternator pivot bolt is tight and the alternator is square to the motor with top bracket bolts in as well.
Once free the only way out is turning while taking it downwards.
Sorry about the long post but this still does not give the frustration of doing it justice.
fixit again dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Thumbs up

Many thanks Dan... I pictured the alternator and associated parts as I read your post and it makes a lot of sense to me. I have to admit that I haven't had the ideal weather conditions to do anymore to my car other than pull the plastic splash guard off from under the right hand side.
Luckily I do have ramps and axle jacks to safely hold the car up while I work from beneath it. I think the most difficult part is going to be getting the alternator out past the air-conditioner compressor. It seems so pathetic that so much has to be done to remove such a vulnerable part as the alternator unlike older cars where the alternator was so much easier to access and we didn't have to take anything other than the fan belt off to service or change it out.
Once again, many thanks for your tips as they are appreciated very much.

Cheers

Wayne
Old 16-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #7
wesso
Telstar TX/5 AX2

Thumbs up Thanks "fixit again dan"

:
Further to my last post (which for some reason I was unable to edit used: ) I just wanted to say thanks to Dan once again and also to let you know that I tried a few of your instructions today and after removing the radiator it was a cinch to remove the alternator after all.
I have to admit that when I unscrewed that bottom bolt that holds the alternator in and it only came out so far before hitting the side of the engine bay I was concerned that I was going to have a bit of trouble. It wasn't until I removed the top bracket off the head that the alternator just slid right out of it's mounted spot. It seems as though that bolt only holds it in place when the top bolts are in place. :

It's a bit of a pain that I had to remove a couple of splash guards and hoses just to remove this alternator, but I guess it could have been worse especially if you hadn't come to the rescue Dan : Thanks again mate.

Cheers

Wayne