Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-10-2007, 05:55 PM   #151
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
ummm your comparing the VFL to SANFL????

I assume that you are aware that at the end of every VFL/SANFL season each premiership team of there league would play one another in a championship of australia game and that on a regular basis SANFL teams would beat the VFL teams,symbolising how even the two leagues were,granted the VFL became a much stronger league in the 1980's mainly because it was a wealthier league due to larger crowds due to a much larger population and it was in this period that VFL clubs started drafting western and southern australian footballers into there league,which played a huge roll in it becoming the more superior league. And the end result is the AFL, a NATIONAL league not a victorian one,the first team to win a AFL premiership was collingwood and since that time far more non-victorian teams have one the premiership then victorian ones,suggesting they are the stronger clubs.
FORD3V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 05:56 PM   #152
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD3V
West coast a,pity for you they didnt have performance enhanceing drugs on there team this year,and look what happened.

Get over it and look to the future??? we lost the grand final by 119 points three days ago, I think we can have a little time to reflect on it before we get over it,sounds to me like you still havnt got over the fact we beat west coast 4 weeks ago :
bahahahaha. Yes well port had us there, no doubting that. There has always been that rivalry with port and WCE. At least with that game there was a reasonable fight for the win. Much more than I can say for Saturday. :togo:

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #153
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TZENU
ummm your comparing the VFL to SANFL????
Why thankyou, i was waiting for that.
Thats a stereo typical Vic attitude to it
And to answer your question, yes!
I guess you forget that some of the greatest players ever to play VFL were from SA, Carlton captain Craig Bradley, Malcolm Blight, Nathan Buckley, Darren Jarman and Gavin Wanganeen to name a few, only went there because the money was better.
Thats not hard to understant considering the economic differences between SA and VIC.
Infact i believe the SANFL has been around for longer than the VFL and was originally concieved by Port Adelaide in 1870 or there abouts.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 06:02 PM   #154
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
bahahahaha. Yes well port had us there, no doubting that. There has always been that rivalry with port and WCE. At least with that game there was a reasonable fight for the win. Much more than I can say for Saturday. :togo:

Atleast we were there mate,I have a huge amount of respect for WCE given what they have achieved in there short history,but you have a pathetic attitude mate,I would suggest geelong supporters are the only one's who can look down on port because they are the only club in the league that finished above us.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:08 PM   #155
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Atleast we were there mate,I have a huge amount of respect for WCE given what they have achieved in there short history,but you have a pathetic attitude mate,I would suggest geelong supporters are the only one's who can look down on port because they are the only club in the league that finished above us.
Too true and considering their lack of success up until this year, losing 4 GF's in 20yrs, you would think they would be a little more humble about it.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #156
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

You seem to be forgetting the 91pt demolishion of your club at AAMI stadium a couple of months ago.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:13 PM   #157
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
I dont agree u there mate, and Im not having a go either. I was just disappointed that port supporters who were at the airport were silly enough to have banners waving around bagging the crows not getting to the grand final. It seemed petty to me. They could have been there to support there team and leave it at that but NO, they thought they'd have a good ol dig to make themselves feel better & because they lost by 119 points. Im afraid its the port supporters sad attitude and display that has brought themselves down not mine.

Just because I supported Geelongs win doesnt make me the bad guy. I chose to support Geelong because they deserved to win based on their great performance all year as well as their humility.

Plus I dont feel its fair to say ONLY Geelong supporters can appreciate the win. Im not as one eyed like you claim I am.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-10-2007, 06:17 PM   #158
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
You seem to be forgetting the 91pt demolishion of your club at AAMI stadium a couple of months ago.
I agree, I was there at that game, and it was embarrassing to say the least. WCE havent won at AAMI since 98 IIRC. So it was against us from the beginning. Im not sour about it. Disappointed maybe but thats life. They will get there one day.

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-10-2007, 06:37 PM   #159
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
I dont agree u there mate, and Im not having a go either. I was just disappointed that port supporters who were at the airport were silly enough to have banners waving around bagging the crows not getting to the grand final. It seemed petty to me. They could have been there to support there team and leave it at that but NO, they thought they'd have a good ol dig to make themselves feel better & because they lost by 119 points. Im afraid its the port supporters sad attitude and display that has brought themselves down not mine.

Just because I supported Geelongs win doesnt make me the bad guy. I chose to support Geelong because they deserved to win based on their great performance all year as well as their humility.

Plus I dont feel its fair to say ONLY Geelong supporters can appreciate the win. Im not as one eyed like you claim I am.

I think your being petty mate still talking about what happened at the airport,I wasnt aware anything did happen until you told me.

I think you are suffering from sour grapes due to WCE not being in the grand final (fair enough)and the fact port helped with there demise annoys you even more.
Get over it and look forward to next year,maybe you should show more interest in your own club rather then bitching about other clubs.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #160
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
I think your being petty mate still talking about what happened at the airport,I wasnt aware anything did happen until you told me.

I think you are suffering from sour grapes due to WCE not being in the grand final (fair enough)and the fact port helped with there demise annoys you even more.
Get over it and look forward to next year,maybe you should show more interest in your own club rather then bitching about other clubs.
LOL you still dont get it sunshine. I could go back and forth with u all night and still get no where. It will be a waste of both of our time. I plainly stated a fact and an opinion and you obviously view that as an attack on port. Pleeeze. Cry me a river! You obviously still cant handle getting hassled by port haters. You lost big time cupcake. Simple as that. Deal with it :

West Coast won last year. Im happy with that. Ive built my bridge, wheres yours?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 02-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #161
tempest

wow this is getting petty now isnt it...

get over all the baggin or whateva you want to call it....Geelong won the GF, Port got thumped. The only thing that matters is Geelong are the premiers, and will hold that title until the next GF. Big deal if Port made the GF - they have nothing to show from their season, just like the rest of the clubs in the competition. If making the final is something to claim as being a success there would be a runners up trophy or some crap like that. Sure they may have had a successful year yes, but other clubs can also claim to have had a successful year. Port made the GF and Crows didnt - big deal - did Port beat the crows this year no... Point being (again) big deal, Geelong are the deserved premiers.
tempest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #162
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
LOL you still dont get it sunshine. I could go back and forth with u all night and still get no where. It will be a waste of both of our time. I plainly stated a fact and an opinion and you obviously view that as an attack on port. Pleeeze. Cry me a river! You obviously still cant handle getting hassled by port haters. You lost big time cupcake. Simple as that. Deal with it :

West Coast won last year. Im happy with that. Ive built my bridge, wheres yours?

Have a cry mate,I think you need to accept the fact that port had a better year than your mob,and get over it,are you a south australian???? or do you just live here??? or are you a supporter of one of the many SANFL clubs that port have put through hell over the years???? and that will explain the chip on your shoulder.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #163
Bosman
T Series Club Member No24

Quote:
You may all laugh and stick the boots in now, thats not hard to do but consider this, you are pointing the finger at a club with 36 premierships to its name, 20 more than any AFL/VFL club, the winner of a record 6 flags in a row
: Are you seriously comparing the Sanfl to the VFL? Just seeing that stat of 36 premierships make you wonder......good club in a very poor comp. And that IS a fact.

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

2016 Harley Davidson Softail Heritage customized.
Dead set gorgeous!
Bosman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #164
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Huh, what is this pointless banter.
Forget Port, Collingwood, West Coast

Geelong played they're ***** off and deserved to win. Whoever went into that grand final was going to get thrashed.

Credit when credit is due, Good on the Cats!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:15 PM   #165
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
I assume that you are aware that at the end of every VFL/SANFL season each premiership team of there league would play one another in a championship of australia game and that on a regular basis SANFL teams would beat the VFL teams,symbolising how even the two leagues were,granted the VFL became a much stronger league in the 1980's mainly because it was a wealthier league due to larger crowds due to a much larger population and it was in this period that VFL clubs started drafting western and southern australian footballers into there league,which played a huge roll in it becoming the more superior league. And the end result is the AFL, a NATIONAL league not a victorian one,the first team to win a AFL premiership was collingwood and since that time far more non-victorian teams have one the premiership then victorian ones,suggesting they are the stronger clubs.

Bosman^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You obviously no nothing about the history of aussie rules in this country,those are the facts mate.
Old 02-10-2007, 07:20 PM   #166
Bosman

Bottom line is YOU know you'll only ever get to be second best. AFL/VFL has and always will be number 1.

AFL national? Nah we just want ya money! HeHe

FTe Venom T3TE50 No229 5.6L Manual Don't drive one! Because like so many others , including ME , you will become TOTALLY addicted.

Dead set gorgeous!
Old 02-10-2007, 07:26 PM   #167
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman
Bottom line is YOU know you'll only ever get to be second best. AFL/VFL has and always will be number 1.

You didnt read the post did you? and you are denying the facts that they were very evenly matched leagues up until the 1980's.

As for second best??? If you buy some history books, because you obviously dont own any,you will find that since 1990 when the AFL was formed that non-victorian clubs have won more premierships than victorian clubs,explain how that is second best????
Old 02-10-2007, 10:38 PM   #168
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

You could also argue the state of origin point.
Up until the state of origin rules were brought in the Vic state team dominated most interstate rivalries, once the rules changed and the good players from other states went home to play for their sides the big V struggled.
You will also notice how a number of our champion players won your Brownlow medal, John Platten, Malcolm Blight, Gavin Wanganeen, Nathan Buckley.
The fact is the SANFL has always been as good as the VFL but just not as commercially recognised.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:24 AM   #169
Bosman

Not denying what i read , just find it difficult to believe. Especially when its written by a croweater. Dont believe everything you read most is garbage. Those players were definately champions , so many of them! HeHe But they made it HERE. Not back in time , SA.

Yes you have good footy players just a CR8P competition , they come here for a reason.

Dead set gorgeous!
Old 03-10-2007, 09:35 AM   #170
FORD3V
5.4L 3V V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosman
Not denying what i read , just find it difficult to believe. Especially when its written by a croweater. Dont believe everything you read most is garbage. Those players were definately champions , so many of them! HeHe But they made it HERE. Not back in time , SA.

Yes you have good footy players just a CR8P competition , they come here for a reason.

So you find it difficult to understand facts?

Go where for a reason? We have a national comp now mate,its called the AFL which to simplify it for you stands for, AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL LEAGUE.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:59 PM   #171
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Back on topic, no one wants to hear about Port or the SANFL. Face facts, Port were hopeless and got smashed by possibly the greatest team ever. No other team has ever won a grand final by that much before, it just goes to show how dominant the Cats were. They won 18 of their last 19 matches as well as the Brownlow, the VFL flag, Rising Star and just about every other award such as the Players association MVP and coach of the year etc. I don't think any other team in history has dominated so much. Go Cats. Look out for them in 08 too because they are only going to get better, they still have a lot of young players who will continue to improve with no one set to retire yet.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #172
savagE
Complete ****** n bogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
coach of the year
Your argument is flawed. Alastair Clarkson won that award.
savagE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 04:48 PM   #173
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Back on topic, no one wants to hear about Port or the SANFL. Face facts, Port were hopeless and got smashed by possibly the greatest team ever. No other team has ever won a grand final by that much before, it just goes to show how dominant the Cats were. They won 18 of their last 19 matches as well as the Brownlow, the VFL flag, Rising Star and just about every other award such as the Players association MVP and coach of the year etc. I don't think any other team in history has dominated so much. Go Cats. Look out for them in 08 too because they are only going to get better, they still have a lot of young players who will continue to improve with no one set to retire yet.
Pffft...greatest team ever....yeah right.
If Port had of kicked a few more goals the margin would have been less and it would have been just another GF blowout.
Port gave up, yes, but Geelong definately arent the greatest team ever.
When they win 4 in a row and go beyond Brisbanes record then they will be worthy of such a title but not until then.
Remember Port knocked Brisbane from its mantle and followed up the next year poorly so anything can happen in footy.
But then again the mighty Geelong could never suffer from GF hangover could it!
No way, not a Victorian team, infact no victorian team has gone back to back in the last 17 yrs.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:08 PM   #174
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Neile Balme said that the salary cap would not be an issue for 2008, and with the great team that Geelong have already, with the amount of players that are waiting in the VFL, there's no reason why Geelong wont back it up with an awesome 2008 season
Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM   #175
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagE
Your argument is flawed. Alastair Clarkson won that award.
Bomber won one of the coach of the year awards, Players association I think. I don't know which one, there are probaly 2 or 3 different ones. Just like Ablett Jnr winning the league MVP while Bartel won the Brownlow. There's not just one award for every category there are a few.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:16 PM   #176
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Quote:
If Port had of kicked a few more goals...
Lots of possible ifs, but the FACT remains, Port sucked, Port blowed, Port got destroyed like no other team in grand final history. The young guys in the team will be forever haunted with that fact.
Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 05:20 PM   #177
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Pffft...greatest team ever....yeah right.
If Port had of kicked a few more goals the margin would have been less and it would have been just another GF blowout.
Port gave up, yes, but Geelong definately arent the greatest team ever.
When they win 4 in a row and go beyond Brisbanes record then they will be worthy of such a title but not until then.
Remember Port knocked Brisbane from its mantle and followed up the next year poorly so anything can happen in footy.
But then again the mighty Geelong could never suffer from GF hangover could it!
No way, not a Victorian team, infact no victorian team has gone back to back in the last 17 yrs.
For an individual year I think they are. No team has ever dominated so much over 1 season but I see your point. Then again I don't see any reason why Geelong can't do as well as Brisbane did over a couple of seasons as the pieces are all in place, but I don't think they will get that far ahead of themselves yet, its still early days.

As so what if no Vic team has gone back to back in 17 years, everyone said Geelong would choke just like it did before in the 80's/90's too. History means nothing on the day. People probably said Brisbane couldn't go back to back because Fitzroy/Bears/Lions never did either. Its just a pointless thing to say because it means jack. Whatever happens on the day happens and nothing that has happened in the past has any bearing on the result.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:20 PM   #178
prydey
Rob

Quote:
For an individual year I think they are. No team has ever dominated so much over 1 season but I see your point. .
so when essendon only dropped 1 game for the season it still wasn't as good as geelong this year. turn it up pal. they have a very long way to go to be greatest team ever. for all the port bagging i think geelong have a way to go to match the consistency of port over the last few years. they were minor premiers 3 years running. from 2002 - 2004. geelong have 1 good year and suddenly they're the greatest ever... i can't help ya.

unfortunatly with this game it doesn't seem to matter how you play for 22 games but how you play 1 game.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2007, 06:36 PM   #179
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so when essendon only dropped 1 game for the season it still wasn't as good as geelong this year. turn it up pal. they have a very long way to go to be greatest team ever. for all the port bagging i think geelong have a way to go to match the consistency of port over the last few years. they were minor premiers 3 years running. from 2002 - 2004. geelong have 1 good year and suddenly they're the greatest ever... i can't help ya.

unfortunatly with this game it doesn't seem to matter how you play for 22 games but how you play 1 game.
And to add to those 3 minor premierships in their 10yrs as an AFL entity they have also won 2 pre season cups, 2 rising star awards, 1 Premiership and a Norm Smith medal.
And some people run them down because of one poor performance.
Its very rare to see Port beaten by this amount so i wouldn't get too ahead of yourselves.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:45 PM   #180
Bosman

Quote:
Its very rare to see Port beaten by this amount
BUT ...... AINT IT BL00DY FANTASTIC !!!! Played like the gumps they are : And as said it will haunt that club for years! HeHeHe

Dead set gorgeous!