Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-06-2019, 07:35 PM   #31
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Default Re: vFacts May 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Kia definitely on the move but I think as with Hyundai, there will be a glass ceiling soon enough.
Hyundai are safe, they're looking at being the next Toyota, Kia are pushing the styling boundaries backed by a 7yr warranty, buyers are comfortable taking the punt as they know the warranty is solid insurance.

We can't afford a new SUV right now, so the SY will fill the void for 3yrs, but ive no doubt a new Sorrento will take its place at that time after the experience I've had so far.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-06-2019, 07:46 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Hyundai are safe, they're looking at being the next Toyota, Kia are pushing the styling boundaries backed by a 7yr warranty, buyers are comfortable taking the punt as they know the warranty is solid insurance.
I think Hyundai have found their limit. Only the i30 is really taking it to Toyota. The rest of their range is not going to sell in Toyota numbers. They don't have the broad range of models either. Kia are following the same path, just a few years later. Styling of both marques is now very good. The warranties are the best there is and have been for some time.
Toyota will stay top simply by sheer weight of volume. They have more models than everyone else.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:

We can't afford a new SUV right now, so the SY will fill the void for 3yrs, but ive no doubt a new Sorrento will take its place at that time after the experience I've had so far.
I almost typed the same thing. Santa fe/Sorrento are pretty decent cars. Kia don't get the engine upgrades at the same time though.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #34
jgmdat

Quote:
Kia has already outsold Ford once in the last 6 months, before their new offerings arrived, I'd say Kia will take 4th from Ford before Ford takes third.
And they don't even have a ute....yet
I don't know how, today i drove four hours in a Kia Optima [not my choice] and i cannot understand why people buy them considering how many other choices there are. Price maybe.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2019, 08:05 PM   #35
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don’t underestimate Hyundai/Kia, they both have their new Venue and Steltos small suvs about to drop into a red hot segment. If they had a 1 tonne Ute, it will be game on for Toyota.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-06-2019, 07:58 AM   #36
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
Focus:around 250-60 units.As I said Ford are not moving that much inventory.Mustang I think was around the 384 odd units.ZB was around 670.Equinox was a surprise doing around 590 units.Mondeo? Do they still sell it?Again pretty dismal for it.Focus might ( I say might) pick up when they bring in more variants,But would not count your chickens yet.(Shame though,because it is a very good car.) Unfortunately Australians are more inclined to buy Japanese & Korean these days.

Re Focus sales.

Compared to LZ -models removed sedan and manual hatch … say 150 buyers a month?
Compared to LW-diesel removed. … say 50 sales a month?

Ford seem to be trying to kill their own sales. They then look at a declining annual world volume versus head count and get a shock on cars sold per each global employee.

They are killing sales by reducing variants.

Also SA Focus has transmission issues -3 second lag D to R and vise versa.
Don't mention powershift!
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Before I bought the Kia I enquired at Rebel Ford for a Fiesta as my Daughter has an 09 model detect and its a ripper, the only one left in the country was 21k so over budget, but had they been able to supply me one for 18k I would have given it serious consideration
mmm I think the late 2019 Fiesta ST will be around the $30K mark which is well above the Kia, but below all the Euros 3cyl turbo hatches.

I'm just using this car as an example as Ford seem to be attempting to position themselves just below premium models.
will it work?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 12:18 PM   #38
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How many Stingers were sold?
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 12:43 PM   #39
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
How many Stingers were sold?
157 units for May.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 01:12 PM   #40
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
I don't know how, today i drove four hours in a Kia Optima [not my choice] and i cannot understand why people buy them considering how many other choices there are. Price maybe.
Irk, they cost a packet to engineer across so many markets so you want to be damned sure before committing
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2019, 08:51 PM   #41
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Ford should be proud that they are the only non Asian manufacturer with a model in the top 10 with the ranger, but that's it, after that 1 model, nothing else is even in the running to challenge 10th
Ytd figures

Toyota Hilux: 20,736
Ford Ranger: 16,645
Mazda3: 12,682
Toyota Corolla: 11,882
Mazda CX-5: 11,045
Hyundai i30: 11,033
Mitsubishi Triton: 10,062
Toyota RAV4: 9010
Mitsubishi ASX: 8229
Toyota Prado: 7833

Toyota -4
Mitsubishi - 2
Mazda - 2
Hyundai & ford - 1
I honestly wonder if the BT 50 was not so ugly if it would have been a stronger competitor to ranger
And where do you think the Ranger is built?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2019, 12:28 AM   #42
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

I know exactly where it's built, hence my previous comments In another thread saying that If and that's a massive if I was to ever buy a twin cab I'd go and buy a Ram, might stil be american built, but at least there's some Aussie imput.

My point was more based on ford overall being the only non Asian company in the top 10
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2019, 10:20 AM   #43
prydey
Rob

Quote:
I know exactly where it's built, hence my previous comments In another thread saying that If and that's a massive if I was to ever buy a twin cab I'd go and buy a Ram, might stil be american built, but at least there's some Aussie imput.

My point was more based on ford overall being the only non Asian company in the top 10
Yeah, no Aussie input in the ranger...
Old 08-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #44
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Nah mate it's only take 5 blokes and a pencil to engineer a global vehicle. Assembly is where it's at.
Old 08-06-2019, 02:32 PM   #45
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
here is a quote from another ranger thread back in January

Part of the change that the whole company is going through is to move to modular architectures, and only 5 vehicle groups. What that means for Ford Australia is that the T6 platform will now be combined with the T3 platform and lead out of North America. Short term there are immediate powertrain job losses, but longer term after ford launch the next gen Ranger, it really doesn't look like there will be any more engineering work for us here.

So in part.. no... looks like upcoming Rangers will have little to no aussie engineering input.. That decision has already been made.
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2019, 04:08 PM   #46
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Part of the change that the whole company is going through is to move to modular architectures, and only 5 vehicle groups. What that means for Ford Australia is that the T6 platform will now be combined with the T3 platform and lead out of North America. Short term there are immediate powertrain job losses, but longer term after ford launch the next gen Ranger, it really doesn't look like there will be any more engineering work for us here.

So in part.. no... looks like upcoming Rangers will have little to no aussie engineering input.. That decision has already been made.
Wrong. Gen 2 T6 Ranger development is in full swing now as Bronco mules are out and prototypes
running around, handover is just about done. Everest and Amarok will begin after that.
Handover / combining with T3 is not happening until 2028 or later as NG F150 is almost here.
The two vehicles platforms will probably remain separate for mist of their product cycles.

I asked the question of engineering about T6 Ranger and F150 being on common architecture,
I hear that certain engineers are still picking them selves up off the floor from laughing.
A lot of what's in Ranger can't be directly scaled to F150 and vise versa and if that was possible,
Australia would have never been given Ranger in the first place. The US would have done it themselves.

T6 is a lot more complex than most could ever imagine...
l leave you to guess how many crash tests were required to cover all versions of Gen 1

Last edited by jpd80; 08-06-2019 at 04:22 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2019, 05:35 PM   #47
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

You’re wrong.

See JDP’s post above ^^^^^
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #48
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Nah mate it's only take 5 blokes and a pencil to engineer a global vehicle. Assembly is where it's at.
I thought it took a coop student with Windows Paint ....
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2019, 01:54 AM   #49
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Wrong. Gen 2 T6 Ranger development is in full swing now as Bronco mules are out and prototypes
running around, handover is just about done. Everest and Amarok will begin after that.
Handover / combining with T3 is not happening until 2028 or later as NG F150 is almost here.
The two vehicles platforms will probably remain separate for mist of their product cycles.

Not trying to be a pain but I think that was my point from that previous post quote, next generation ranger to be coming out of North America, not the current model cycle which includes the 2021/2022 model which was the leaked wheels photos.

Short term there are immediate powertrain job losses, but longer term after ford launch the next gen Ranger,

If that quote I re posted is wrong all the better for the local guys as no one gets joy from seeing others loose their jobs however for me my hypothetical preference would be the ram.

Those who know the difference here can explain it better but apart from the hideous look of the BT 50, what mechanical differences are there between it and the ranger and if none, does anyone believe that a more appealing bt50 could have challenged ranger sales as they currently stand?

Previous:
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon

Last edited by au2000; 09-06-2019 at 02:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #50
hayseed

Quote:

Those who know the difference here can explain it better but apart from the hideous look of the BT 50, what mechanical differences are there between it and the ranger and if none, does anyone believe that a more appealing bt50 could have challenged ranger sales as they currently stand?

I've often wondered the same thing...
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2019, 01:40 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000
Not trying to be a pain but I think that was my point from that previous post quote, next generation ranger to be coming out of North America, not the current model cycle which includes the 2021/2022 model which was the leaked wheels photos.

Short term there are immediate powertrain job losses, but longer term after ford launch the next gen Ranger,

If that quote I re posted is wrong all the better for the local guys as no one gets joy from seeing others loose their jobs however for me my hypothetical preference would be the ram.

Just because they want them to share a platform doesn’t mean most of the work won’t be done here after they lay out the platform details. The platform is just something to build from. Still a long way from all that being figured out.

The 2 vehicles are so different i don’t even know how they expect to do it. 2 massively different requirements. The ranger goes small into the bronco and the f series goes massive into the superdutys that need to be massively strong and big. I think they will soon realise that they are facing an uphill battle making it all work. Its still a decade away anyway.

I don’t know how you can design a chassis that can handle towing 35,000 pounds, and making it work on something that will tow max 6,000 pounds, without making that vehicle significantly overweight and ridiculously over strengthened or having to have 2 completely different designs, which is what they are trying to eliminate in the first place. It makes no sense.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #52
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The current 2019 BT50 has similar if not the same mechanical/electrical systems at the PX1 Ranger. They haven’t advanced as the PX2 and PX3 has, so no Sync info system, adaptive cruise etc etc.

But I agree the styling is not favourable.....
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #53
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

[QUOTE=au2000;6304102
Those who know the difference here can explain it better but apart from the hideous look of the BT 50, what mechanical differences are there between it and the ranger and if none, does anyone believe that a more appealing bt50 could have challenged ranger sales as they currently stand?[/QUOTE]

The PX II update was rather extensive, much of which the BT-50 didn't receive. As mentioned, some of that was tech upgrades (infotainment, active safety) but there were also mechanical changes such as EPAS that BT-50 also missed. Combine that with questionable styling, BT-50 got left behind.

I also seem to remember Ford had a bigger say in the production output of the Thai factory as well?

Combine all three and that would certainly explain why Mazda have failed with the currant gen BT-50.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2019, 11:02 PM   #54
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Something got lost from the original concept.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2019, 05:01 PM   #55
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The Graphical Stats for May are now uploaded to the Tech portal.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: