Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default VicRoads part privatisation

Quote:
VicRoads to be partly-privatised in major shake up

VicRoads will be partly privatised by the Victorian Government later this year, in a decision that has been branded ‘damaging’ and ‘irresponsible’ by the opposition and unions.

Treasurer Tim Pallas on Friday announced the private sector would part-run the licencing, registration and plates divisions at VicRoads, but the Government would continue to maintain ownership of VicRoads.

Mr Pallas said it was “not privatisation” but “effectively a partnership” and the Government would keep motorists’ data and VicRoads customer service centres would not be impacted.
https://amp.news.com.au/national/vic...7e525a74640517

This one is interesting, while VicRoads are absolutely useless as per any government road authority, I don't think the answer is part privatisation - this will just make our registration costs go upwards at best.

Personally I think they need a refresh from top to bottom starting with a management team who has the mandate to rebuild it from the ground up.

What's your thoughts on privatisation of VicRoads?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 04:44 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: VicRoads part privatisation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
https://amp.news.com.au/national/vic...7e525a74640517

This one is interesting, while VicRoads are absolutely useless as per any government road authority, I don't think the answer is part privatisation - this will just make our registration costs go upwards at best.

Personally I think they need a refresh from top to bottom starting with a management team who has the mandate to rebuild it from the ground up.

What's your thoughts on privatisation of VicRoads?
No, no, no, like you say fees will go up, up, up.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 05:01 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Its like the government is giving away the profitable part of the business and keeping the expensive loss making part - makes no sense to me.

If anything you'd outsource the ****ty parts of the business like the customer service side and keep the money making part of it.
This user likes this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Maybe they are trying to trim all the Covid dead wood from the authority.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Maybe they are trying to trim all the Covid dead wood from the authority.
Better get rid of the whole organisation then

I've never had a bad experience with VicRoads - they're just super inefficient at customer service, its like rocking up to the deli in the supermarket in the 1990s and taking a ticket and waiting for your number to be called.

They should capitalise more on online capabilities, take away the reasons youd need to actually visit a customer service centre in the first place, the only times I've been in is to register cars, renew my license and do my license test.

Move rego functions online, the license renewal thing could also be done online like rego, just need to provide passport photos meeting their quality standard rather than come in for new photos that someone there takes of you with a tripod and a camera.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:39 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Better get rid of the whole organisation then

I've never had a bad experience with VicRoads - they're just super inefficient at customer service, its like rocking up to the deli in the supermarket in the 1990s and taking a ticket and waiting for your number to be called.

They should capitalise more on online capabilities, take away the reasons youd need to actually visit a customer service centre in the first place, the only times I've been in is to register cars, renew my license and do my license test.

Move rego functions online, the license renewal thing could also be done online like rego, just need to provide passport photos meeting their quality standard rather than come in for new photos that someone there takes of you with a tripod and a camera.
Been trying to get them to send my rego renewals via email for ages being not always in the state when various truck papers drop in the PO box.
I reckon if the local council and water authority can send renewals via email why can't they. No we have to send it to your postal address I've been told repeatedly.

Must say I've never had a bad experience dealing with them, unlike RMS of NSW what a bunch of w*nkers they are.

Old 07-03-2021, 05:43 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

They’re probably looking to the UK model. BIG thumbs-down from me. SORN (with added fees!) will be on the cards before long…

Victorian government, and particularly the laws/regs side of it, is the genuine reason why I bought in rural NSW instead of the area between Violet Town and Chiltern.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2021, 06:01 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
They’re probably looking to the UK model. BIG thumbs-down from me. SORN (with added fees!) will be on the cards before long…

Victorian government, and particularly the laws/regs side of it, is the genuine reason why I bought in rural NSW instead of the area between Violet Town and Chiltern.
NSW god no. Why would anyone want to live near Gaso.

4 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

The only good thing is we have cheaper rego

$716 for us in regional VIC, even cheaper if you have a ute!

Also no yearly RWC thing.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:22 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
So if me and Gaso are having a countery Monday week at the Farmer’s Home, you don’t want to come?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 06:30 PM   #11
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Read that the IT system seems a complete overhaul, which they have tried to do several times, but the financial risk too great.

It would have to be profitable to have any chance of privatisation, what private company in their right mind would want something that has a negative ROI?

I want to know what benefit this will give to road users. That is not clear.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 06:31 PM   #12
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
The only good thing is we have cheaper rego

$716 for us in regional VIC, even cheaper if you have a ute!

Also no yearly RWC thing.
I always thought of NSW as the nanny state, growing up and when I lived there in heaps of different towns.
When I bought my land here there was no hassles with building unusual alternate houses in my town. I was even refunded the stamp duty years later because I was a first home buyer.

The local council actually encourages new businesses here and I was allowed to build a completely offgrid (outside the box) solar home under the normal crap minimum building restrictions I found n NSW town caveats. There are way to many restrictions in NSW with little Hilter types found in rural councils.

NSW even had a stupid living on a boat laws no one else has ,which even the federal gov recognise as legit way of life. Don't get me started on NSW boatcode money making scheme.

3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 06:33 PM   #13
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
So if me and Gaso are having a countery Monday week at the Farmer’s Home, you don’t want to come?
Think of it as moving to Yap hoon near Cav and trying to beat him to the bakery every morning, its not going to happen.

5 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

I wrote this for another forum, but...

VicRoads privatisation timeline
day 1 - fanfare, celebration, news release, happy Roads minister
month 3 - release of software upgrade plan. 50/50 investment from private/public partnership
year 1 - software update plan 6 months behind and $10m over budget. Private partner states they cannot afford to complete the update. Public stump up $10m
year 1 - fanfare, celebration, news release, happy Roads minister, happy CEO, happy shareholders. Road Users looking a little puzzled
year 2 - cost efficiencies close regional VicRoads office as new software will allow remote access for all transactions
year 2 - prices for personalised plates start to climb
year 2 - software update plan 12 months behind and $10m over new budget. Private partner states they cannot afford to complete the update. Public stump up $10m
year 2 - fanfare, celebration, news release, happy Roads minister, happy CEO, happy shareholders. Road Users starting to get pretty ****ed off by now
year 3 - fanfare, celebration, news release, happy Roads minister, happy CEO, happy shareholders. Road Users really angry. Opposition members now wake up to the chance to bag the government after having done nothng about this for 3 years (it's election time again)
year 3 - prices for personalised plates now reach new high. delivery times now longer than most people keep their new car for
year 4 - software update plan 24 months behind and $20m over new revised budget. Governement finally refuse to fund over run from public purse
year 5 - software development stalls. New new funding. Governement revert to old system. Road users more than a little miffed as they now have to travel to metro Melbourne as all the regional VicRoads offices closed 3 years ago
year 10 - it's mad Max. nobody bothers with rego as the road building all stopped 5 years ago when the software funding dried up (you didn't really think all that money was going to develop the software did you?) No more speeding revenue coming in to the government as the roads are so bad that nobody can drive more than 50kmh anyway. Private camera cars firms all bankrupt (some good comes out of this all then)
year 15 - east/west tunnel finally opens. tolls set at $150 per car to cover the reduced funding from speed cameras and rego
year 20 - fcuk it. I'm 75 now and can't be arsed.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2021, 06:35 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I always thought of NSW as the nanny state, growing up and when I lived there in heaps of different towns.
When I bought my land here there was no hassles with building unusual alternate houses in my town. I was even refunded the stamp duty years later because I was a first home buyer.

The local council actually encourages new businesses here and I was allowed to build a completely offgrid (outside the box) solar home under the normal crap minimum building restrictions I found n NSW town caveats. There are way to many restrictions in NSW with little Hilter types found in rural councils.

NSW even had a stupid living on a boat laws no one else has ,which even the federal gov recognise as legit way of life. Don't get me started on NSW boatcode money making scheme.
I've got no experience with NSW but I'm surprised you've had a good run with a local council, mine is chock full of tin pot Hitlers and they're not too friendly unless you're a certain family of property developers then you can get away with murder.

I was supposed to pay for permits to have signage on my fences when I had my workshop, which of course I didn't do, the local cafe had its small A frame sign seized because they didn't have a permit for it
Old 07-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I've got no experience with NSW but I'm surprised you've had a good run with a local council, mine is chock full of tin pot Hitlers and they're not too friendly unless you're a certain family of property developers then you can get away with murder.

I was supposed to pay for permits to have signage on my fences when I had my workshop, which of course I didn't do, the local cafe had its small A frame sign seized because they didn't have a permit for it
I initially had a similar experience when I first bought the land, local inspector came around telling me I had branches pilling up at the front of my property which was a fire hazzard, he backed off when I explained most of the branches were from their large overhanging tree and they needed to spend a lot of money to trim the tree back.
He said Ok thats fine sent the 4 in 1 tractor out the next day and took it all away to the tip.
I deal all the time with Heritage Victoria / NSW and local Gov building inspectors who have no experience what so ever in building in stone, which requires me to giving them adviceon the best way how to approach heritage building and restoration problems that spring up.

Vic councils are pretty good (sans Indigo) and listen to advice given, some NSW ones are dimwits.

Old 07-03-2021, 07:04 PM   #17
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

I know this is common sense talking here but what i don't understand is why every state/territory all try to reinvent the wheel.

I mean, look at the transport cards. Opal NSW, Miki VIC, GO QLD, surely it would have been more cost efficient to implement a National system rather than this rubbish.
Same with Vic roads computer system, sit down, talk to other states, put all your buckets of cash in and have a national/semi national system.

I'm going to put my head in the sand now.........
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 08:01 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Old 07-03-2021, 08:21 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Read that the IT system seems a complete overhaul, which they have tried to do several times, but the financial risk too great.

It would have to be profitable to have any chance of privatisation, what private company in their right mind would want something that has a negative ROI?

I want to know what benefit this will give to road users. That is not clear.
The way it would work is VicRoads outsources their customer service operations out to a private company - like Centrelink and those 'job providers' that they outsource all the management and meetings to, it's not profitable but the government fronts up a tonne of cash.
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 08:56 PM   #20
hayseed

Quote:
I'm In.. I actually had a feed & a Beer at the Farmers Home on Tuesday..

Franco. Selling something is an Easy (lazy, Shortsighted) way for Govco to raise some cash without raising Taxes..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2021, 11:40 PM   #21
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Same thing will happen as whenever any public service is privatised. A bunch of frontline staff who actually do the work will be made redundant and will have to apply for a smaller pool of jobs in the private company who takes over, doing the same job they did before but more of it and with less pay and lower staffing levels, thus providing a poorer quality service to the public. All the upper management in the department will have made very sure that they keep their government jobs because they're very important people and they will transfer sideways into a different government department and mismanage that one too. The private company who takes over will do a ****-poor job because it's run by accountants with no experience in providing a public service. The private company will also somehow cost the taxpayers twice as much while providing half the service. I've seen it time and again. Private sector efficiency is a myth.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 12:10 AM   #22
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

They have already hinted months ago at additional charges on personalised plates in victoria and that upon selling / transferring current plates new rules would be applied including taking a percentage of any profit made on re selling plates and / or additional new fees such as annual plate fees
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2021, 01:11 AM   #23
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:

They should capitalise more on online capabilities

Too true!.... In 2018, cost me return airfares from here (Costa Rica) to renew my 10 year Vic. drivers license, as photo HAD to be done at Vic Roads...
No amount of emails or even numerous (expensive, “put on hold” phone calls) would sway them!
To further exacerbate the issue, I then had to wait “7-10” days for my new license to be posted to, “my legal place of residence in Victoria”
Was impossible to get the license card issue sped up as “licences are printed by an outsourced secure private company whose location is not known by Vic Roads staff”
(All brought about due to a Vic Roads in-house licensing scam uncovered 7 or 8 yrs prior)

Edit: I believe license can NOW be renewed whilst overseas if you have a “My Vic Roads account”.....
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )

Last edited by Charliewool; 08-03-2021 at 01:36 AM.
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 02:55 AM   #24
xkxlxm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Privatising Vicroads sounds like a really, really stupid idea to me.
xkxlxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 06:35 AM   #25
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Privetisation equals theft.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:08 AM   #26
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=davenl5l;6553855]Privetisation equals theft.[/QUoOTE]

Resold via the corporate "cash converters" aka asx stock market

People would line up to buy Vic roads.asx (stock code STOOGED5.asx)
Super funds will line up to buy Vic roads.asx with peoples money

People love buying into monopolies.

Telstra (tranche 1,2,3) and Electricity companies anyone?

Look how cheap Australia's telecomunications and electricity is
(Won't mention USA typically pay around 10c kw/H)

Twas all owned once upon a time by people of the state/nation, sold back to the same people
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 09:04 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm completely against privatisation of VicRoads but I guess now there's focus on selling our asses to China to fund infrastructure projects (see 'Belt and Road') they have to raise the funds to pay for it another way and that's selling off whatever we own that's left at discount rates.

What's next? Royal Melbourne Hospital? We could sell it to some American corporate healthcare group for $26
4 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 10:14 AM   #28
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

With a "myVicroads" account (it's free), all your car's details are on there, you can pay reg, 3, 6 and 12 months, change your address, lost licence etc... transferring sold cars, deleting cars. There is a whole host of things you can do remotely.

It's pretty useful currently and I just learned you don't have to go in at all now, if you buy car and you just got your own rwc, just take a photo and upload it along with transfer papers, pay the fees and you're done.

it's pretty handy atm, suss it out....

cheers
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-03-2021, 11:53 AM   #29
snap0964
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I'm completely against privatisation of VicRoads but I guess now there's focus on selling our asses to China to fund infrastructure projects
(see 'Belt and Road') they have to raise the funds to pay for it another way and that's selling off whatever we own that's left at discount rates.
What's next? Royal Melbourne Hospital? We could sell it to some American corporate healthcare group for $26
Well you have to pay for Dan Andrews Facebook advertising spend/self branding (nearly $800k) somehow.

Does it bring money back for Vic - doesn't look like it
https://www.skynews.com.au/details/_6237087827001 .
No surprises there I guess.
snap0964 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2021, 01:39 PM   #30
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So now I'm more confused than ever. Is Dan Andrews supposed to be a socialist and communist or is he now a capitalist?

I haven't had to do any ownership transfers for 8 years . This is the longest I've ever owned a single vehicle, so haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the new online transfer features. Anything that doesn't need me to line up at Vicroads is a WIN!

I do like the flexibility they now offer for paying rego, quarterly, half yearly or annually.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post