Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-01-2011, 07:14 PM   #1
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

Default OH the pain, Bundaberg Black – VAT 89 1991

Bundaberg Black – VAT 89 1991

I am not normally a drinker, last night I thought I would have a glass of Bundy rum in ginger ale. So went to get a bottle, as I do drink rum from time to time. Rather than opening the new bottle I brought the other day I thought I would open the one that has been sitting around for years with the few other spirits bottles I have. I would have just brought this at a local bottle shop many years ago.

I had my drink and it was amazing, so tonight I thought I would see if I could get some more of this particular type but it’s not listed on the Bundy website, so I though Google would be the place to look. Oh what a mistake that was, went to an eBay link to see a bottle listed at a starting price of $400 and one finalised at $600. OH me, Oh my why did I not look at this before I opened the bottle or drink the new one I brought.

I would have brought this in 1991, just shows how often I do drink and what I don’t know. Ah well it sure is good though, had another glass tonight.

Mark^^ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #2
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I enjoy Bundy. Whats your address.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

hahah Canberra side of Lake George, thats all I am revealing. This is the nicest rum I have ever consumed, and being one of the few spirits I like I have sampled it in lots of places arround the world.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:22 PM   #4
Addz08
"FEED IT"

I've heard its actually the bottle thats worth the money not the rum itself.... Someone correct me if i,m wrong....
BA XR8 UTE ,PACEMAKER 4/1'S,MAGNAFLOW METALCORE CATS,TOYS CUSTOM TWIN 2 1/2 SYSTEM, CAPA TUNE, K&N FILTER, LIGHTENED BILLET STEEL FLYWHEEL, DCS CLUTCH, SS INDUCTIONS BIGMOUTH CAI, 20" FR20 SIMMONS....
Addz08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:23 PM   #5
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our city spirt is the best!!! Lol
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
KYSBF

Leave the top off, I'll smell it out!!
KYSBF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Should see my old mans collection of old wines, rums, bourbons and scotches(few bottles of absynth in there too) he won't open them cos they're worth a small fortune! Over the years he has accidently opened a few during parties and wished he hadn't...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #8
Mark^^
Two-Spirits

The bottle is the same as any other 700ml bundy rum with just an extra lable, so I cannot see it being worth anything without the 'golden fluid' in it.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
Kryton

You only live once.
We've all had those 'could have, would have, should haves' - just appreciate what you experienced and be pleased you didnt have to pay $600 for the experience.

The local wine cellar here had some 100 year old Port that he found hidden away in the back of his shop (shop has been open for probably 100 years).
Thought id ask about it as Grandpa would probably be happy with a bottle of 100 year old Port for a present - well, at $1500 a bottle and no guarantee its any good, i gave it a miss.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:28 PM   #10
rusty 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

damn i bet it was nice, in my opinion your better off enjoying it than letting it sit there forever wondering
rusty 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:29 PM   #11
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had a look on Ebay and theres a few. Also interesting that theres a limited edition of 4,500 cases of a 5 year old rum each individually numbered. Apparently from the same barrel as the black. Cheapest I can find for a case if $708. Is it worth the hangover?

Might go visit Dan Murphy's tommorrow.

On the topic of Bundy, I hope the folk in Bundaberg are ok and the distillery is not too badly affected. Might have to start to stock pile.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #12
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark^^
The bottle is the same as any other 700ml bundy rum with just an extra lable, so I cannot see it being worth anything without the 'golden fluid' in it.
Well you may be surprise. There are many bottle collectors out there.

What is the difference between a XY Falcon 500 chassis and a XY GTHO Phase 3 chassis other than the label.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #13
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I just had a look on Ebay and theres a few. Also interesting that theres a limited edition of 4,500 cases of a 5 year old rum each individually numbered. Apparently from the same barrel as the black. Cheapest I can find for a case if $708. Is it worth the hangover?

Might go visit Dan Murphy's tommorrow.

On the topic of Bundy, I hope the folk in Bundaberg are ok and the distillery is not too badly affected. Might have to start to stock pile.
No need mate, she is all good here, they r in full swing, closed for a few days after xmas because they were flooded. but its all good!
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM   #14
myxr6
Banned

I still have a 1988 Bundaberg Rum Centenary Box unopened.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis 351
No need mate, she is all good here, they r in full swing, closed for a few days after xmas because they were flooded. but its all good!
That is good news. Glad to hear everyone in the town is ok. I saw the images on the web and it looked pretty bad.
Old 13-01-2011, 01:34 PM   #16
Hulsty

I am a bundy collector, started about a year ago, have 13 or so different bottles now!! If anyone has any older bottles (probably pre 2003 or so) I might be interested in grabbing them!

The that 1991 VAT bottle was worth abit unopened!! Empty bottle probably worth 10-20 bucks or so.

Bundy have just released another range of bundy black VAT 26 i think it is, can get it for around 250ish off ebay.

You will find though bundy "reserve" and "founding fathers" both available at most shops are very similar to bundy black.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #17
4bbl
too many toys

Bundy 101 is a pretty good drop, knocked over quiet a few a couple of years ago now its fetching some serioius coin now
4bbl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #18
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My ex-girlfriends mum was going to be making some home made baileys, she asked her husband which of the whisky she could use to make it. He had just come back from a trip to china with half a dozen bottles of good quality stuff, johnny blacks, chivas and a bottle of johnny walker blue. He just told her to use one of the Johnny Walkers, not elaborating - she didn't know what was what - and used the $300 bottle of Blue

He wasn't happy hahaha
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #19
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxr6
I still have a 1988 Bundaberg Rum Centenary Box unopened.
I have a bottle of bundy red unopened....oops too late...
Old 13-01-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty
I am a bundy collector, started about a year ago, have 13 or so different bottles now!! If anyone has any older bottles (probably pre 2003 or so) I might be interested in grabbing them!

The that 1991 VAT bottle was worth abit unopened!! Empty bottle probably worth 10-20 bucks or so.

Bundy have just released another range of bundy black VAT 26 i think it is, can get it for around 250ish off ebay.

You will find though bundy "reserve" and "founding fathers" both available at most shops are very similar to bundy black.
What would an unopened 750mL Bundy bottle be worth now?
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #21
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
I'll give ya $32 for it, more if you throw in some coke.

BTW - Bundy Red, yuk.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #22
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

BTW - Bundy Red, yuk.
750mL! not 700!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #23
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I got a bottle of 12 year scotch...Drank it all...Don't buy the stuff to look at it and hope one day it's worth heaps.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2011, 05:35 PM   #24
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott

BTW - Bundy Red, yuk.
Ah yes, if you mix it with normal coke.
But try it with vanilla coke (which is also yuk) and you will be amazed........
Old 13-01-2011, 05:36 PM   #25
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I got a bottle of 12 year scotch...Drank it all...Don't buy the stuff to look at it and hope one day it's worth heaps.
Yeh that would be like buying a GT falcon and not driving it so it will be worth more one day.........
Old 13-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #26
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Ah yes, if you mix it with normal coke.
But try it with vanilla coke (which is also yuk) and you will be amazed........
I actually mix with Diet Coke but wasn't game to type it out loud... until you lowered the bar far enough
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 06:29 PM   #27
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Are these actually worth money these days? I bought a bottle of 1989 Vat 70 when I was 18 with the intention of saving it until my 40th... So far it has made it halfway... I think it was only about $5 dearer than regular bundy at the time... Shoulda bought a carton, lol
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2011, 06:50 PM   #28
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me, in moderation, anything that you derive pleasure from that doesn't harm anybody is worth it. It's the sort of thing that you shouldn't have to justify either.

I bought this today: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I love my footy cards, and I love pulling them out and browsing through them, recalling the many players that I have cards of that have played over the years. For me, it's a history book in card form. The oldest cards I have a is 1989 (missing a few cards). I still want to buy the 1984, 1987 and 1988 Scanlens/Stimorol sets. They cost a bit each, but I just love the history of the league...

Most people don't understand the buzz, but I don't care.

Should be the same with the Bundy. If you have to pay a bit but it's something that you really enjoy, then just do it. Don't look for approval from others.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2011, 11:16 AM   #29
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8

Seen a couple for for around the $150-$200 mark on ebay, some joker has listed one on ebay at the moment for $400 doubt very much it will sell.
Old 14-01-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
Hulsty

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
For me, in moderation, anything that you derive pleasure from that doesn't harm anybody is worth it. It's the sort of thing that you shouldn't have to justify either.

I bought this today: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I love my footy cards, and I love pulling them out and browsing through them, recalling the many players that I have cards of that have played over the years. For me, it's a history book in card form. The oldest cards I have a is 1989 (missing a few cards). I still want to buy the 1984, 1987 and 1988 Scanlens/Stimorol sets. They cost a bit each, but I just love the history of the league...

Most people don't understand the buzz, but I don't care.

Should be the same with the Bundy. If you have to pay a bit but it's something that you really enjoy, then just do it. Don't look for approval from others.
I get alot of enjoyment out of drinking the bundy and looking at my collection of all the different bottles/colours etc. Most of the bottles I have I had 2 of, drank one, keep one.
This user likes this post: