Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 26-11-2018, 12:21 AM   #151
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Blowers and chainsaw's preferences too guys ..Especially in this regard there's a bit of a Ford versus Holden or Chevy battle going on ..

STIHL v HUSQVARNA .. Boy do people ever get passionate about that . I reckon I might favour Husky a bit due to a 25 y.o. Jonsered brushcutter basically trouble free which is now part of Husqvarna I believe AND that I decided to buy one of these this week . No real desperate need but just liked it at the price $349 ..Great harness too . Got it yesterday .

https://www.toolmart.com.au/husqvarn...SABEgKUBPD_BwE ..

My dealer told me the first consignment of these sold really well and the next lot are on order . I got the last one..
Just bought a husky chainsaw 236 model, it’s lovely, quiet, easy to start, but I run out of things to cut down, I enjoy it that much.

Stihl make great machines, I bought a FS38 line trimmer 3 years ago, only now has it been hard to start, so is in getting fixed.

But my huge eye opener has been my ozito LI battery powered telescopic hedge pruner. I have a shindaiwa 2stroke hedge trimmer, which has been great, but I was sick of lugging it up ladders to prune topiary, and getting headaches from the fumes. I fully intended to buy the ryobi set up, but it was more money for less features and warranty. Geez, the LI battery tech has come a long way, I bought a 4.0AH Battery for it, goes for ages and charges quick. No fumes, headaches or ladders.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-11-2018, 06:25 PM   #152
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Just bought a husky chainsaw 236 model, it’s lovely, quiet, easy to start, but I run out of things to cut down, I enjoy it that much.

Stihl make great machines, I bought a FS38 line trimmer 3 years ago, only now has it been hard to start, so is in getting fixed.

But my huge eye opener has been my ozito LI battery powered telescopic hedge pruner. I have a shindaiwa 2stroke hedge trimmer, which has been great, but I was sick of lugging it up ladders to prune topiary, and getting headaches from the fumes. I fully intended to buy the ryobi set up, but it was more money for less features and warranty. Geez, the LI battery tech has come a long way, I bought a 4.0AH Battery for it, goes for ages and charges quick. No fumes, headaches or ladders.
I have just bought a Stihl battery powered hedge trimmer for the same reasons you list. Swinging a two stroke powered hedger for hours on end really strains the body. Because of the nature of task, you end up with the exhaust blowing smoke and fumes all over your body and have to deal with a engine practically banging away in your ears.

I was pretty concerned that a battery powered tool for this job might not cut the mustard. I bought the light model with aim to reducing body fatigue and bough a second battery with a high capacity. Very pleased with it so far and battery charge levels are sufficient to compete several jobs before needing a recharge.

I'm converted, and this is from someone who loves two stroke POWER.

(Oh, I totally know that feeling when you run out of things to chop down)
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-11-2018, 06:28 PM   #153
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Smashing down 2 weeks growth on a heavily irrigated fescue/clover/kikuyu blended lawn.

5 hrs worth today.....

Excuse me while I enjoy a cold drink
Mustang GT

Old 27-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #154
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Thrashing the Rover today in mulch mode.

I have had this since 2014 and has been WELL used (check out the bald front wheels). Its had only one drive belt in that time but two drive system overhauls and a set of new rear wheels (they are cogged as part of the self-propel system). Apart from that, oil changes every few months.

I'm not a big fan of the Kohler engine as its a bit finiky to start and has always used just a tad of oil, no smoke but I keep an eye on it more that the Briggs engines I run.
Slicks ....She's the race version !!!
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2018, 07:25 PM   #155
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have just bought a Stihl battery powered hedge trimmer for the same reasons you list. Swinging a two stroke powered hedger for hours on end really strains the body. Because of the nature of task, you end up with the exhaust blowing smoke and fumes all over your body and have to deal with a engine practically banging away in your ears.

I was pretty concerned that a battery powered tool for this job might not cut the mustard. I bought the light model with aim to reducing body fatigue and bough a second battery with a high capacity. Very pleased with it so far and battery charge levels are sufficient to compete several jobs before needing a recharge.

I'm converted, and this is from someone who loves two stroke POWER.

(Oh, I totally know that feeling when you run out of things to chop down)
This is impressive too from Stihl ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw5gj0prryw . and this as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBqWNWS5feA ... Good stuff ..
Old 27-11-2018, 07:36 PM   #156
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I have a good friend that swears by Ozito ..He loves his Ozito gear . Never had the pleasure yet but one day I will . Re , running out of things to cut with the saw ..Yep .

reminds me of a joke .. We have a famous Tassie axeman, David Foster , who won some ridiculous amount of wood chopping world titles in the 1980's , 90's and early 2000's .. He was being interviewed one day about his phenomenal success and he said it was all down to cutting so many trees while training . The reporter then asked him where he did most of his training . His reply

"The Simpson Forest" .. Reporter said "David , don't you mean the Simpson Desert " . His reply ..."Well , It is now ".
Old 27-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #157
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the nicest fellas I've ever had the pleasure of meeting.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2018, 07:54 PM   #158
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Well Roddy, you old bugger,! You’ve cursed me!
After 20 years of faithful service, my Honda powered. vista push-mower has started playing up.....BAD!
Chewing through fuel, fouling the plug. Time for a car by make-over, I think!
She’s been a good old girl, mulch or catch, does a great job.
Like the Rover above (maybe more so) the old wheels are worn away, the catcher is broken, I recently replaced the cutter disc... sounds like grandpas axe ��
Sorry about that but she owes you nothing by the sound of it .
Maybe put her out to pasture to enjoy a quiet occasional buzz once you do up the carby and invest in something like this possibly ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6375ssdUpI

Exxy possibly but very very nice ..
Old 28-11-2018, 09:30 PM   #159
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Fuel injected Stihl Chainsaw .. 500 i...

How about that ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoNyZEjX2bs ..
Old 29-11-2018, 08:51 AM   #160
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sorry about that but she owes you nothing by the sound of it .
Maybe put her out to pasture to enjoy a quiet occasional buzz once you do up the carby and invest in something like this possibly ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6375ssdUpI

Exxy possibly but very very nice ..

Thanks Roddy, I looked at one of those recently.
I don't mind paying for quality.
Quite often, you've forgotten the price LONG before you've stopped enjoying the use of a quality product.
ps Donald Trump told me stories about cheap Chinese mowers being OK is FAKE NEWS!!!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2018, 07:30 PM   #161
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion65 View Post
Thanks Roddy, I looked at one of those recently.
I don't mind paying for quality.
Quite often, you've forgotten the price LONG before you've stopped enjoying the use of a quality product.
ps Donald Trump told me stories about cheap Chinese mowers being OK is FAKE NEWS!!!
Never yet owned a Honda mower although I regularly use a Buffalo at work . She's at least 20 years old , needs a bit of work on the undercarriage but that bloody engine runs like new...
Old 30-11-2018, 07:14 PM   #162
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Bought a new toy, oops I mean a new tool. Ha ha, what do they say about boys and their toys…..

I have been meaning to buy a new line trimmer for a while now. With this purchase the most important thing at the top of list was for it to be as light as possible. Power is usually at the top of my list and I would always recommend buying the most powerful machine you can afford as this makes the job easier. However power isn’t my main requirement for a line trimmer because 99% of my jobs are regular weekly / fortnightly services and therefore I’m only taking off fine over growth from the edges. This machine is a Husqvana 522L and is basically the entry level professional grade model. Petrol line trimmers range from about 4kg up to about 9kg for a heavy duty brushcutter, with the 522L weighing in at 4.2. Most of the models I was looking at ranged from about 4.2kg to 4.8kg. Now this might not sound like much on paper, but I can tell you from experience, your body can certainly tell the difference, particularly after a days use. The other benefit of a lighter machine is its ability to be angled with ease to suit different cutting situations.

This purchase is a bit of a break in tradition for me owing to the fact that I have always been a Stihl man. In affect I’m swapping one orange brand for another and looking forward to seeing how it performs. I love buying new tools for my business, especially if they make the job easier.

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #163
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bought a new toy, oops I mean a new tool. Ha ha, what do they say about boys and their toys…..

I have been meaning to buy a new line trimmer for a while now. With this purchase the most important thing at the top of list was for it to be as light as possible. Power is usually at the top of my list and I would always recommend buying the most powerful machine you can afford as this makes the job easier. However power isn’t my main requirement for a line trimmer because 99% of my jobs are regular weekly / fortnightly services and therefore I’m only taking off fine over growth from the edges. This machine is a Husqvana 522L and is basically the entry level professional grade model. Petrol line trimmers range from about 4kg up to about 9kg for a heavy duty brushcutter, with the 522L weighing in at 4.2. Most of the models I was looking at ranged from about 4.2kg to 4.8kg. Now this might not sound like much on paper, but I can tell you from experience, your body can certainly tell the difference, particularly after a days use. The other benefit of a lighter machine is its ability to be angled with ease to suit different cutting situations.

This purchase is a bit of a break in tradition for me owing to the fact that I have always been a Stihl man. In affect I’m swapping one orange brand for another and looking forward to seeing how it performs. I love buying new tools for my business, especially if they make the job easier.

Nice ...I bought the 129 R ...Very impressed so far...Came with the beaut Husqvarna harness ..Love it ..Very good support . Here's a vid I found on a close brother Husky to yours ..the 525 ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF0gZZNauiM...

.... My commercial grade Jonsered TL 33 is half as heavy again as the Husky 129R..It has a Mitsubishi 33 cc engine , cuts awesome still despite being 24 years old but the new Husky being lighter , almost as much power and with the bump feed head is a joy to use.,

Hope your 522L works great for you..

Last edited by roddy1960; 30-11-2018 at 10:35 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:18 AM   #164
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That looks awesome, when my curved Stihl trimmer packs it in, I’ll get a straight shaft model, heaps easier for the vertical cut edges.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #165
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That looks awesome, when my curved Stihl trimmer packs it in, I’ll get a straight shaft model, heaps easier for the vertical cut edges.
You might be waiting a while..Those Stihl's are pretty reliable I believe ..

GEDC0046 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr

A not so good photo but these are my two .

On the left is the Husky 129 R.. 27.6 cc with the offset handlebar and a beaut harness (best I've ever used ) ..so comfortable. On the right is the Jonsered TL33 , 33cc old girl ..Gee she's done a power of work in nearly 25 years..Bought it for $650 in 1994. Mitsubishi engine.. Gearbox is showing signs of wearing out now though and why I bought the new machine because the cost of the new g/box will be exxy . was told to hunt around for a suitable after market one and will do but she'll go into semi retirement now . Cost of the Husky 129 was $349 ..Not too bad ..
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2018, 08:42 AM   #166
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still on trimmers , what's your likes and dislikes for chord and same thing for the curved or straight style .

In this video on such things , the newer type heads are mentioned too .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubJOSiTIzXo .. Opinions too please guys on this fella's take on edging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFY4CjiJ6hE ..

I've never even used a curved head trimmer so I have no idea whether I like them or not but they do seem to sell well .
Old 01-12-2018, 08:50 AM   #167
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Still on trimmers , what's your likes and dislikes for chord and same thing for the curved or straight style .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubJOSiTIzXo ..

I've never even used a curved head trimmer so I have no idea whether I like them or not but they do seem to sell well .
i bought a stihl curved trimmer a few years ago and it does everything I need,bump feed works well. I asked at the shop if curved shaft trimmers ever broke drive cables,the fellow in the mower shop basically said the next one will be the first. Good enough for me,starts with a couple of pulls cold and usualy one pull hot
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2018, 01:50 PM   #168
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

The combo tools are a good one to consider, most brands are making them nowadays. The initial outlay is about the same as a good line trimmer but after that the attachments are relatively cheap. You can get line trimmers, edgers, blowers, saws and rotary hoes to name a few. Keep an eye out after financial year and you can get some ex-fleet ones cheap. Mine cost about $200. They're easier to store than individual tools giving more shed room for the all important cars and parts.

Overcast and muggy morning here but used mine with the hedge trimmer attachment today. All done in under an hour.

FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2018, 02:39 PM   #169
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
The combo tools are a good one to consider, most brands are making them nowadays. The initial outlay is about the same as a good line trimmer but after that the attachments are relatively cheap. You can get line trimmers, edgers, blowers, saws and rotary hoes to name a few. Keep an eye out after financial year and you can get some ex-fleet ones cheap. Mine cost about $200. They're easier to store than individual tools giving more shed room for the all important cars and parts.

Overcast and muggy morning here but used mine with the hedge trimmer attachment today. All done in under an hour.

Very interested in this combo gear AND in the yellow Mk 2 Escort in the shed ..What is she ,1.3, 1.6 , 2.0 , or the 1.8 rocketship maybe ? Can't tell from that photo other than that's a serious hedge you have there too . I had a 1973 Mk1 panel van , a 1980 1.6 L a 1980 1.6 GL and a 1979 2.0 Ghia with the vinyl roof in my time Had a few , fun car , really fun car .....Cheers..
Old 01-12-2018, 03:21 PM   #170
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Defiantly worth looking into Roddy, I like the fact that I'm using the one engine too, it doesn't sit around like individual tools and only one spark plug, aircleaner and fuel mix to worry about.
The cars an Aus spec RS2000, haha an RS1800 would be nice but with a couple of big IDF Webers it goes down the road alright.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #171
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Combi tools are great. I have the Stihl KM 56 RC engine.

Have been using this as my line trimmer for the last 10 months and was sick of the weight hence the Husqvarna.

Regarding bent shafts, I had always preferred these for some reason. I still have a FS 45, which replaced another FS 45 that broke its drive cable/shaft. Was cheaper to replace the whole unit than having it repaired. I got my money worth out of it. I was running these, again, for the weight factor, 4.1 kg.

Mustang GT

Old 01-12-2018, 07:48 PM   #172
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubJOSiTIzXo .. Opinions too please guys on this fella's take on edging

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFY4CjiJ6hE ..

Tried many over the years. They are all pretty much the same. Have been using Diamond Edge for the last 12 months, 2.4 for the bigger machines and 2.0 for the FS 45.

This stuff is one of the better on the market and has bit of flex in it rather than being so hard and brittle.

https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/di...5-brt4029.html
Mustang GT

Old 01-12-2018, 09:10 PM   #173
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tried many over the years. They are all pretty much the same. Have been using Diamond Edge for the last 12 months, 2.4 for the bigger machines and 2.0 for the FS 45.

This stuff is one of the better on the market and has bit of flex in it rather than being so hard and brittle.

https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/di...5-brt4029.html
I know this might sound odd to some but my Jonsered cuts better with 2.4 or 2.5 .. have used 3.0 but now default to the thinner chord . Been using a brand called Tuff Cut lately , also 2.4 mm and bright orange and it's pretty good . Now swaying away from Bynorm which is cheap but nothing special ..Not sure what the brand is that came in the Husqvarna but it's nothing I've used before .

I've read the Diamond Edge is good chord so I understand why it's your stuff of choice .. Re the Combo tools..makes great sense as much for minimising storage and such for you pro's in the vehicles . Meant to ask , does the new Husky have the swivel back handgrip like the 525 or is it conventional ?
Old 01-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #174
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Defiantly worth looking into Roddy, I like the fact that I'm using the one engine too, it doesn't sit around like individual tools and only one spark plug, aircleaner and fuel mix to worry about.
The cars an Aus spec RS2000, haha an RS1800 would be nice but with a couple of big IDF Webers it goes down the road alright.
Oh man , that's nice ..RS 2000 ...Suppose she's got the short throw gear shift , the sports seats that I lusted over and the full instruments etc..
For a fleeting minute I was on the verge of buying a Rally Pack Escort with the same 2.0 and with the different bumpers , over riders and driving lights . It was also yellow . Just couldn't stretch the budget as a 20 y.o that far .. One day I'd give my left nut if I'm allowed to say it for a RS2000 or a Rally Pack .

The Euro spec RS 1800 was a Cosworth BDA I think 1835 cc ...OMG they flew ..AND what about the Mexico !!!
Old 01-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #175
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Meant to ask , does the new Husky have the swivel back handgrip like the 525 or is it conventional ?
The handgrip is fixed but is a damped anti-vibe jobbie.

That Jonsered of yours looks in remarkable condition for its age.
Mustang GT

Old 02-12-2018, 12:08 PM   #176
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The handgrip is fixed but is a damped anti-vibe jobbie.

That Jonsered of yours looks in remarkable condition for its age.
Thanks , I used to be a greenkeeper for nearly 9 years . In 1994 I was asked to tender for the job as the golf club decided to go that way .

I missed out on the contract so I decided to start "Rod's Lawns St Marys" ..I registered my business name , did a business course through a local Enterprise group , got a ome million dollars public liability insurance cover, bought an XB ute , bought a Cox ride on , a couple of push mowers , line trimmer (Echo) HT21 Hedge trimmer , Poulan 14" chainsaw , Hardie 15 litre back pack , various garden implements , and the TL 33 Brushcutter .

My Uncle Tom (mum's brother ) had died the year before and left me some money which helped me buy all this without too much drama . I advertised in the Valley Voice (our local paper) and before I knew it I had work . Finished up with about 30 regulars . One day the phone rang and it turned out to be a bloke from Devonport who ran a Jim's Mowing franchise there who had been successful getting a Telstra contract to maintain their sub station grounds and buildings around the State .

He asked me if I was interested in looking at being a subby for him for 25 or so sites on the upper east coast and Fingal Valley . I met with him and discussed it all . Basically an interview . Ended up taking it on . Remember doing a full day induction course with Telstra itself mostly in regard to security , safety and work standards issues and then got an access pass and code for each time I was on a Telstra site . I did that for nearly two years as well as private customers ..Worked my butt off . Money was terrible for Telstra as they kept loading more jobs over time , requiring ladder carrying to do gutters as one of them ...Muggins here kept saying .."Okay will do "

Got home one day to see a job going at the high school for a School Attendant ..Good money , superannuation , part time 22.5 hours a week etc so I applied , got interview and got the job . I juggled my customers and Telstra in the afternoons as the school job was 7am-11.30 am .

Telstra contract ran out so I decided it was too much for too little return to renew . Kept the local customers going for a while though , kept business name , and still have it on my cheques as my name with T/A Rods Lawns St Marys !!!!!... Next year I was offered an extra 2 hours a day to maintain the 25 metre school pool (more training courses) and in 2002 was made up to full time permanent .. Still that now .

The Jonsered is my pride and joy .. Fully commercial machine and she copped it for quite a while ..I had the saw tooth blade doing tea tree , heavy blackberry and gorse infestations a number of times and big clean up jobs for our local SMACD community groups ..As you'd know in the biz these days , You look after your gear and it'll look after you ....and never so true with our cars ..Work them hard so long as they are serviced properly ..

She's getting tired in the gearbox now , not as smooth as she was but still gets into it ..The cost of a new genuine head is a bit prohibitive IF you can find one but I'll hunt around for an after market one . The Husky is great though and it won't be a worry now to wait for a new gearbox for the Jonsy..

Sorry for the War and Peace reply..

Last edited by roddy1960; 02-12-2018 at 12:13 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #177
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

GEDC0060 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr ...The old 1994 stuff or some of it .. The Rover with the Suzuki engine starts within 3-4 pulls from cold . Nylon bush wheels but still fairly good and no rust in the deck .. A favourite mower ..Poulan saw still runs .. Face guard is a standard MSA . Ear protectors are railway issue . Still have the Echo line trimmer in bits ..She carked it a while back but in the next picture there is a battery powered Rockwell 18V single line trimmer I bought a few weeks ago ..Alright for around small areas but no Jonsy or Husky though ..Might buy a better one eventually though .

That and the more recent stuff including the new Makita and Husky .. The mesh face guard is better than the perspex ones and other ear protector is Peltor . Do have a safety hat but that's still at work where I left it the other day..

GEDC0059 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr and

another pride n' joy...She won't cut the grass but she sure cuts down distance pretty quick ..

GEDC0053 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr ....

Missing push mowers in the fleet is the two four stroke mowers ..Both are Briggs and Stratton powered ..The rear schute older one isn't much chop but the side throw is really good now I've modified the ridiculously small opening ..fixed that issue ..And I do have a el cheapo Farm Boss chainsaw that actually isn't terrible for mucking around with for branch trimming . Certainly no Stihl or Husky though...AND of course the Husqvarna Ride on (LTH 19530) and a Cox Stockman no longer running . The Husky ride on needs a new battery as I have to top up the charge to start . Will get one soon .

Last edited by roddy1960; 02-12-2018 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:56 PM   #178
Fairlane 500
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
imageGEDC0060 by Rodney McGiveron, on Flickr ...The old 1994 stuff or some of it .. The Rover with the Suzuki engine starts within 3-4 pulls from cold . Nylon bush wheels but still fairly good and no rust in the deck .. A favourite mower
I have exactly the same Rover mower with the Suzuki 2 stroke engine.

I have had it since 1984 & it's had a fair bit of use roughly every second week since.

As far as repairs or maintenance,
I have replaced around 4 spark plugs, 3 air filters, 2 pull start chords & about 6 sets of blades in all those years.

Even though it's now around 35 years old it's still going as well as the day I bought it

& I can't really imagine ever needing to replace it.
Fairlane 500 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2018, 07:24 PM   #179
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Those Suzuki 2 strokes are said to be legendary. I have never spotted one or heard one running.

Gave the Husqvarna its first run today. Performed very well, still some user adjustment on my part. This will sound pretty weird, but it even has some nice induction roar.
Mustang GT

Old 02-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #180
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Just a question Roddy about your Husqvarna, were you instructed to use 25:1 fuel?

The dealer insisted that I should use 25:1 despite Husqvarna themselves stating 50:1 is the correct ratio.
Mustang GT