Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #121
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Default Re: Mowing ..

Its come to weekly mowing already.
Grass is powering.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 02:39 PM   #122
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
Nah mate Victa not made in Oz anymore but is assembled here, I had to double check for I knew GUD used to own them (the Ryco filter company owners as well) as well as Sunbeam once upon a time.

Victa has sold over 8 million lawn mowers in 30 countries. In later years, the company was owned by GUD Holdings Limited, who sold the Victa Lawn Care business to American-based Briggs & Stratton for A$23 million in 2008.
Both of the names you mention will do the job but I sooner the next motor size up.
I've got one with the new 725 series motor - the big one.

It's a pos with the automatic choke. Don't like em.

And in some sad news my ride-on will be needing a new head gasket. Only 250 hours ffs.

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2018, 02:46 PM   #123
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

You know what, I've found over all these years my experience most motors with automatic chokes - wrong move mate eh.
Double whammy sorry to see, have a ride in the Sprint to forget for a mo.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2018, 03:13 PM   #124
Mercury Bullet
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
You know what, I've found over all these years my experience most motors with automatic chokes - wrong move mate eh.
Double whammy sorry to see, have a ride in the Sprint to forget for a mo.
Bloody thing, start it on a 40 degree day and the choke kicks in...and then the plug fouls with carbon.

Stall it and it won't restart because it's too hot and trying to start with the choke engaged.

I'm over it...

2016 Falcon XR8. Powered by the legend that is - David Winter.
XC Cobra #181.
1985 Mack Superliner, CAT 3408, 24 speed Allison.
Mercury Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 05:37 PM   #125
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
So I'm looking at an entry level Victa or Masport mower, both use the same B&S 450E series engine. I have Sir Walter Buffalo lawn, about 120sqm.
Not talking big dollars here, both are under $400, but I've never bought a new mower before.
Is one better than the other?
Is it true Victa are still made in Australia? I'd buy the Victa on that fact alone if it was verified.
Cheers.
Best advice from me would be to but the biggest engine in your budget. The 450e series engine is only 125cc. Buffalo is quite thick and I would worry about an engine that small bogging down.

Have a look at this one with a 500e 140cc engine.
https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...assic-cut.html

Or this one for a bit more with a stronger handle set up and a 550e engine.
https://www.victa.com/au/en_au/produ...ce-100-18.html
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #126
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Yes, thank you, the Victa Classic Cut with the 140CC 500e Series engine is the one I was leaning towards. Cheers.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2018, 06:00 PM   #127
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Yes, thank you, the Victa Classic Cut with the 140CC 500e Series engine is the one I was leaning towards. Cheers.
I started my mowing round 17 years ago with one very similar to the above, but with the old B&S 148cc side valve engines. Made me a LOT of money and still going today. Good choice.
Mustang GT

Old 20-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #128
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

I'm liking the look and specs of this Masport mower too.
It has the same B&S 500E engine.

http://masport.com.au/outdoor-garden...s/boxer-st-s18
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 20-11-2018, 06:32 PM   #129
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm liking the look and specs of this Masport mower too.
It has the same B&S 500E engine.

http://masport.com.au/outdoor-garden...s/boxer-st-s18
Note that the Masport lacks ball bearing wheels, important on thick lawns.
Mustang GT

Old 20-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #130
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Note that the Masport lacks ball bearing wheels, important on thick lawns.
Ok, that was the point of difference I was looking for. Both same price with exactly same engine. Victa it is!
Mods so far:
Mods to come:
I use & recommend:

Old 20-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #131
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I should become a mower salesman
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2018, 08:09 PM   #132
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleXR8 View Post
great thread, love summer lawn battles with my neighbours!!! I live in outback WA, lawn is kikiyu and goes crazy in summer with the sun, only trouble is it loves a drink and mowing costs more in fuel than my XR8, I have to mow it twice a week, mowed it on Thursday and been at work since and its looking untidy now, I follow a bloke on youtube called Lawn Care Nut, has a garage full of Toro gear and buys and gets given free mowers to use and review. I remember as a kid growing up my old man having a big Victa mower, orange in colour, big wheels on the back, small wheels up front, rear mount engine and belt drive up to the blades, 2 stroke, had to hold 1 hand over the handle mounted air intake to choke it to start and then as others have stated, a million revs a minute!!! also had a walk behind slasher, real big spoked wheels and exposed belt drive up to a long shaft down to the blade which was like a metre long flat bar, 2 inch wide, half inch thick steel with the blade cut into it, lever forward to tighten the belt and engage the blade and a handle trigger to engage drive, Worksafe would prolyl lock you away if used in public these days, just did some googling, Victa super 24 and a Mobilco slasher
Kikuyu...OMG ...and Cooch grass..Kikuyu even grows well here in Tassie . One of our local golf courses uses it in certain places where not much else grows all that well . Never had the pleasure or otherwise of cutting it though ..what's the general consensus for home use because i do know it can really get out of control if you don't keep a leash on it .
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2018, 08:13 PM   #133
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
Bloody thing, start it on a 40 degree day and the choke kicks in...and then the plug fouls with carbon.

Stall it and it won't restart because it's too hot and trying to start with the choke engaged.

I'm over it...
Ah , the joys of an Aussie lawn in summer ...cantankerous mowers are all part of the fun .
Old 20-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #134
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I should become a mower salesman
. Maybe you should ..Grass is always going to need cutting somewhere . There's money in them there lawns. It's going crazy here at the minute ..Almost literally can see it growing . I cut my Ponderosa on Saturday and it's noticibly upward and onward again already .
Old 20-11-2018, 08:34 PM   #135
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
This is fun to watch too ..

What do you guys think about this bloke's opinions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ8RlV0Ij8U&t=11s .. On Victa's and opinions here about chokes or not etc here's one of Victa's newer offerings I think .. Self propelled too in this mower . Jury's still out for me on that feature because if that fails most are a proper pain in the derriere I think .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkYtDSRZ-90 ..Muddying the water even more for ya ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1idBA64duY ...Geez it's hard to choose these days even within one brand ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 20-11-2018 at 08:46 PM.
Old 21-11-2018, 12:35 AM   #136
LyleXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Kikuyu...OMG ...and Cooch grass..Kikuyu even grows well here in Tassie . One of our local golf courses uses it in certain places where not much else grows all that well . Never had the pleasure or otherwise of cutting it though ..what's the general consensus for home use because i do know it can really get out of control if you don't keep a leash on it .
my yard is edged with railway sleepers so easy enough to keep it in check, kikuyu is common here as it handles the summer weather as long as you keep water to it, only have 60m of it, keep it fairly long to protect the roots from heat and keep the sun off it. I only put on seasol and fertilize with munns golf course green or any other cheap fert from Bunnings and it grows like wildfire
LyleXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2018, 12:23 AM   #137
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Couch and kik are perfect for home use, their ability to creep means they self repair when the dog digs a hole, and are drought hardy. As for them getting out of control, I have brick edging around mine and give it a squirt of weed kill if it grows through, it’s not a biggie.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 23-11-2018, 05:52 PM   #138
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Blowers and chainsaw's preferences too guys ..Especially in this regard there's a bit of a Ford versus Holden or Chevy battle going on ..

STIHL v HUSQVARNA .. Boy do people ever get passionate about that . I reckon I might favour Husky a bit due to a 25 y.o. Jonsered brushcutter basically trouble free which is now part of Husqvarna I believe AND that I decided to buy one of these this week . No real desperate need but just liked it at the price $349 ..Great harness too . Got it yesterday .

https://www.toolmart.com.au/husqvarn...SABEgKUBPD_BwE ..

My dealer told me the first consignment of these sold really well and the next lot are on order . I got the last one..
Old 23-11-2018, 06:38 PM   #139
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have this mower which works damn well on my 150sqm sir walter buffalo back yard. I'm no expert but based on my experience I highly recommend it.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2018, 06:45 PM   #140
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Blowers and chainsaw's preferences too guys ..Especially in this regard there's a bit of a Ford versus Holden or Chevy battle going on ..

STIHL v HUSQVARNA .. Boy do people ever get passionate about that . I reckon I might favour Husky a bit due to a 25 y.o. Jonsered brushcutter basically trouble free which is now part of Husqvarna I believe AND that I decided to buy one of these this week . No real desperate need but just liked it at the price $349 ..Great harness too . Got it yesterday .

https://www.toolmart.com.au/husqvarn...SABEgKUBPD_BwE ..

My dealer told me the first consignment of these sold really well and the next lot are on order . I got the last one..
Stihl BG 86 is the blower to have. The BG 56 doesn't rev as much as the 86 and feels and sounds strangled in comparison. These can also be converted into a Vac with a kit if needed.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 24-11-2018, 02:01 PM   #141
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

We've been using stihl electric tools of late with the back pack battery. Lasts a couple of hours, time enough to do the dailys like blowing greens, clubhouse and dunny blocks. Blowers and whippy's are a bit down on power but its magic working in relative silence, with no fumes and early (4am) in the cool of the day. I'll use them whenever I can.
I was lucky enough to dust off the stihl 088 log saw for a big tree that came down this week, the exact opposite, big, powerful, loud, violent and sends a rooster tail of saw dust for a couple of metres... love it!
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2018, 02:20 PM   #142
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Chainsaw, Brush cutter / Whipper snipper and Hedge trimmer all McCulloch...

Got one POS Victa Whipper Snipper thats never run right since the day i bought it new 3 years ago, junk!

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2018, 05:59 PM   #143
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Not much will stay standing in front of this bad boy.

64.8cc of Two Stroke Power! Great for big areas.
Mustang GT

Old 24-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #144
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Not much will stay standing in front of this bad boy.

64.8cc of Two Stroke Power! Great for big areas.
That's a big blower but is it as much fun as the blown XR8..Both would blow stuff into the weeds I'm guessing .. My big brushcutter is 33 cc and that's pretty powerful but your machine is about double that . I see that the big Stihls and Husky saws are around 60 cc ..I see what you mean ..

What do you make of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYcwAj5OTnY ..Interesting and diverse lot .

Last edited by roddy1960; 24-11-2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old 24-11-2018, 07:19 PM   #145
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Chainsaw, Brush cutter / Whipper snipper and Hedge trimmer all McCulloch...

Got one POS Victa Whipper Snipper thats never run right since the day i bought it new 3 years ago, junk!
Didn't realise McCulloch were as diverse as this either ..They even make car detailing equipment too like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uy9rCCRdEF4 and carpet cleaners and and.

Nice garden /yard gear .... ... Cool ..

https://www.mcculloch.com/uk/garden-tools/ ...Cheers ..

Last edited by roddy1960; 24-11-2018 at 07:26 PM.
Old 24-11-2018, 09:09 PM   #146
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Push mowers are for city dwellers.

John Deere D140, 724cc 22hp V-Twin Engine, 48" Cutting deck.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-11-2018, 10:50 AM   #147
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Taking this to yet another level .. here's a video on one of the big daddy's of chainsaws ..The Husqvarna 572 XP .. Not just in cars does tech and computers play a huge role ..If you can watch it until they're pulling the saw apart to show the innards but wait til they whack it on the diagnostics ..Quite incredible .

This is a fully pro saw though ..not meant for the backyard and a Saturday morning wood cut necessarily .. Enjoy ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-vpS3f-Z8w ..
Old 25-11-2018, 05:05 PM   #148
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
That's a big blower but is it as much fun as the blown XR8..Both would blow stuff into the weeds I'm guessing .. My big brushcutter is 33 cc and that's pretty powerful but your machine is about double that . I see that the big Stihls and Husky saws are around 60 cc ..I see what you mean ..
What can I say, I like powerful things
Mustang GT

Old 25-11-2018, 05:13 PM   #149
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Thrashing the Rover today in mulch mode.

I have had this since 2014 and has been WELL used (check out the bald front wheels). Its had only one drive belt in that time but two drive system overhauls and a set of new rear wheels (they are cogged as part of the self-propel system). Apart from that, oil changes every few months.

I'm not a big fan of the Kohler engine as its a bit finiky to start and has always used just a tad of oil, no smoke but I keep an eye on it more that the Briggs engines I run.
Mustang GT

Old 25-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #150
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well Roddy, you old bugger,! You’ve cursed me!
After 20 years of faithful service, my Honda powered. vista push-mower has started playing up.....BAD!
Chewing through fuel, fouling the plug. Time for a car by make-over, I think!
She’s been a good old girl, mulch or catch, does a great job.
Like the Rover above (maybe more so) the old wheels are worn away, the catcher is broken, I recently replaced the cutter disc... sounds like grandpas axe ��
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post