Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 15-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Quick question re: DRL's

Alright, mate of mine has found some gold on eBay and I just want to get some opinions, and whether or not anyone's tried these as experience stories would be great.

Due to my car NOT being a Titanium, it doesn't have DRLs, but it does have what looks to be bits of plastic to pop out the front bar where the DRLs would be in a Titanium.

So I'm looking at hooking up a set of these:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-LED-D...item416595fe3f

I want them to function as TRUE DRLs (so on & bright at any time when car is running, only dimming when the headlights are turned on) and to look pretty much like they were there from factory.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #2
JimStone

Default Re: Quick question re: DRL's

Look the same as these - http://www.car-cares.com/mondeo-spar...set-sku-pieces
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks mate, they're a bit cheaper too.

Also liking some of the other Mondeo stuff they've got, so in all seriousness I dunno whether to be thanking you or cursing you - I guess we'll just have to wait see how much I finally end up spending ;)

Anyone actually tried these, had them hooked up etc? Some "real life" experience or opinions with them would be cool.
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 15-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Just make sure they're compatible with our models and not just the U.S. models
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I didn't think the Mondeo got sold on the US market, thought it was Euro/Aus/NZ markets only?

Anyway, I've spoken to someone who reckons for $200 I can't go too wrong, and I guess every group needs a guinea pig, so hopefully within the next week I'll be placing and order, and when they come I guess we'll see how it all pans out.

If people are interested I might even do a few pics along the way and a bit of a write up on the install to help others in future - as well (of course) as a bit of a review on what I think they're like - someone's gotta be the first and it looks like no one else here has done this mod yet?
Quote:
Old 25-05-2012, 11:55 AM   #6
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Keen to see how this turns out Rik. Should look the goods mate. Wiring can be a b**** so take your time with it, or perhaps get an auto elec to fit it.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
MAD
Petro-sexual

Found heaps of them here... http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...oduct_en&fsb=y
Might be worth finding out what shipping will cost and save yourself a few bucks.

Some say the control box that comes with it will automatically dim with headlights, so they should act the way you want them too.
Old 26-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Thanks for the link MAD.

I haven't ordered them yet, I don't know if any of you saw in "The Pub" there was a greys online auction for a NSW Ford dealer who had gone out of business - I was looking at a full Titanium front bar (complete with foglights, DRLs, wiring & grilles) - I was going to buy it but missed out in the end - went to bid at last minute and realised I didn't have an account for grays online :( I would have swapped out grilles & DRLs to my bar (the other bar was white) and had a Titanium front end. Wasn't anyone from here who scored it was it?

Now with Heathcote drags just a couple of weeks away I'll probably save money for that trip and order these after I get back.

I know what you're saying about the wiring Shav, however I should be ok, got a couple of people that know what they're doing who I'd trust to help out.
Quote:
Old 06-07-2012, 10:57 PM   #9
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default MC Mondeo Titanium DRL's

Hi All,

Can I please get an explenation on how the Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) function on the Titanium models.

Do the DRL's dim (reduce intensity) when parkers / headlights are on?
Or do they turn off all together when the parkers / headlights are on?

In my previous Passat 125TDI Highline with Bi-Xenon Headlights I could activate DRL's from the MFD.

However there does not appear to be any functionality available for the DRL's or am I mistaken?

There are a genuine few kits available in UK that I would like to retrofit to my Zetec EcoBoost!
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Re: MC Mondeo Titanium DRL's

Would also be interested to know how they work.

I've found aftermarket kits (refer http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11365623 ) but haven't really had the spare cash to order a set yet due to unforseen expenses. Seriously hoping to put an order in before July is finished though.

Do you have a link to the genuine kits you speak of, definitely interested to compare the quality & pricing of them to the aftermarket ones I'm looking at before I make a purchase.
Quote:
Old 07-07-2012, 09:54 PM   #11
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Found the answer, saw an MC Titanium this evening and the DRL's are dimmed with reduced output when headlights are on. Will now look futher into the genuine or aftermarket plug and play kits. Will keep you up to date.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Do you have a link to the genuine kits for sale, I'd like to look into them.
Quote:
Old 09-07-2012, 04:57 PM   #13
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Do you have a link to the genuine kits for sale, I'd like to look into them.
Sorry mate, no link. My bad.
The genuine Kits I refer to is jus buying the OEM DRL's and making your own harness. But with all the stuffing around, it would be easier to get the chinese copies as they look near identical, function in the same way, are glass just as per the OEM DRL's. Plus they have a plug and play wiring harness to boot!
Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #14
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

No problems.

I asked someone in the know how much for genuine ones, he's an auto electrician and came back with a price around the $700 mark for the pair, no harness - from Ford themselves.

It was then him who linked me to the eBay copies for around the $200 mark including a harness, bit of a no-brainer really.
Quote:
Old 16-07-2012, 07:53 PM   #15
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Found heaps of them here... http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...oduct_en&fsb=y
Might be worth finding out what shipping will cost and save yourself a few bucks.

Some say the control box that comes with it will automatically dim with headlights, so they should act the way you want them too.
I don't trust Alibaba from all that I have read. will be interested to see if anyone gets them from there
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2012, 08:36 PM   #16
MAD
Petro-sexual

I've made a few purchases through alibaba without a problem. It's only been the one company though.
I was tentative on my first purchase so I asked for a reference. They gave me the contact details of a company in the US, so I rang and checked with them before going ahead with it. I always pay with paypal too.
Old 31-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #17
roadtrack
Starter Motor

Wink MC Mondeo... daytime running lights.

Hi all. Has anybody yet tried the new...(suit MC Mondeo) $208.99 daytime running lights currently on Ebay?....they look O.K. I would appreciate any comment on quality and fit.
Thanks for any input to the buying decision!!
roadtrack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #18
whitetdci

Default Re: MC Mondeo... daytime running lights.

Pity they dont fit the MA. can you post a link. cant seem to find them on fleabay
Old 01-08-2012, 09:05 AM   #19
roadtrack
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci
Pity they dont fit the MA. can you post a link. cant seem to find them on fleabay
Hi. Found these on Ebay U. K. Item #280877203007. Yep,pity they don't fit earlier models;a good feature of the MC.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #20
whitetdci

Look similar to these. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2X-LED-Da...item2ec0212bc4
Old 01-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
b.e.l
Starter Motor

In the UK here are these DRL's inside the headlights of an MA

http://www.talkford.com/topic/202157-drls-now-fitted/

Or these Fog Light mounted ones.

http://www.talkford.com/topic/162301...5#entry1766115
b.e.l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 08:28 PM   #22
roadtrack
Starter Motor

Thanks whitetdci. May be the same lights;wouldn't think there'd be too many aftermarket manufacturers for such a relatively low volume item.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #23
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/280877203...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

^^ These ones - can anyone confirm if any of these work as true DRLs, dimming when you turn headlights on, and going bright again with headlights off?
Quote:
Old 03-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #24
gh172

I've been looking for these for ages, would love it if these worked as the genuine ones do. I wonder if it would be easy enough to DIY these?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:51 PM   #25
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Just got an email back from the seller for the ones I linked above - standard brightness at all times, they don't dim at all when headlights are on.
Quote:
Old 04-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #26
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just got an email back from the seller for the ones I linked above - standard brightness at all times, they don't dim at all when headlights are on.
Hi Rik,

Why wouldn't you want the DRLs to just extinguish when the headlights are active?

This is a simpler fix than wanting them to dim, but that is achievable too - rather more complicated though.

It also depends on how the DRL's are organised, if there are 6 LEDs in a lamp I'd be guessing a simple series connection, but it might be a more complicated arrangement as the simple series connection will extinguish if any of the LEDs becomes an open circuit fault.

If you want more detail then PM me as I don't want to clutter the thread with technical detail.

Cheers

P.S. I generally don't like DRLs as they are far too intensive for my liking and are as bad as badly fitted driving lights where fog lamps ought to be.

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #27
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Hey Alan, I want them to function as the Factory ones do, which means dim out when headlights are on not extuinguish totally.

However, I've gone and spent some money today...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150848333230

The seller reckons there's a wire which you can connect which will dim/extinguish the DRL when the headlights are on, or if you don't connect it, it runs them full brightness at all times.

Now we begin the long wait for postage...

Edit: and these work out as one of the cheapest sets on eBay as well, they come to US$195 including postage, most of the others are around US$200 without postage.
Quote:

Last edited by Riksta; 08-08-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #28
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hey Alan, I want them to function as the Factory ones do, which means dim out when headlights are on not extuinguish totally.

However, I've gone and spent some money today...
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....m=150848333230

The seller reckons there's a wire which you can connect which will dim/extinguish the DRL when the headlights are on, or if you don't connect it, it runs them full brightness at all times.

Now we begin the long wait for postage...

Edit: and these work out as one of the cheapest sets on eBay as well, they come to US$195 including postage, most of the others are around US$200 without postage.
Waiting on the edge of my seat! Someone had to be the test case...

Let us know how the install goes!

If you find a link on how to remove the front bar I would be interested in that as I am looking to get the DRL's also.

If you find that they turn off or stay on when headlights are activated, there is an adaptor on ebay.co.uk that will actually "dim" the lights to replicate the OEM look. However they say they do not ship outside UK / EU.

I would love to have the OEM functionality...

Keep us up to date!!!

Glenn
Old 11-08-2012, 12:03 AM   #29
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is the ebay link; http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230831249...84.m1423.l2649

If anyone has connections in UK, I would be keen to get this as they are not shipping outside UK / EU.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:23 AM   #30
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ope126
Waiting on the edge of my seat! Someone had to be the test case...

Let us know how the install goes!

If you find a link on how to remove the front bar I would be interested in that as I am looking to get the DRL's also.

If you find that they turn off or stay on when headlights are activated, there is an adaptor on ebay.co.uk that will actually "dim" the lights to replicate the OEM look. However they say they do not ship outside UK / EU.

I would love to have the OEM functionality...

Keep us up to date!!!

Glenn
Will happily be the guinea pig for this one, I think I said back in May I was going to order these things and get them in, well, I took my time but they're on the way - got a tracking number today. Will probably take a couple of weeks to arrive, then will have to tee up with my mate a time to do the install, but as we do the install I'll take plenty of photos and make sure to do a bit of a write up the best I can.

As for that GenLabs box to dim the DRLs factory style - very interesting, and I'm very interested in one. As it happens, a work colleague has a daughter living in the UK, so I may even be able to tee up ordering one posted to her, and give her a little extra cash to post from UK to Australia.

Anyway, all is just speculation at the moment, we'll wait and see how we go when they finally arrive.
Quote: