Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 18-07-2019, 03:47 PM   #1
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Shipping car from AU to NZ

Hi all,

We're looking to move back to NZ early 2020.
I want to take my car with me and prices for the car alone appear to be around the $2k mark. Which is fine.
Problem is, I also have a bunch of tools and household items (fridge, washer, dryer etc etc) that I want to ship back as well.
I could possibly fit it all in a 20ft container - but it'll be a squeeze.

Has anyone done this recently? Any suggestions?
Shipping from Melbourne to Auckland.

Cheers!

Hunt
cat007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2019, 04:53 PM   #2
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Shipping car from AU to NZ

Obviously make sure you take the insurance.
But I'd also be checking what the insurance covers in terms of your whitegoods.
Moving older whitegoods is always a problem. We've moved twice recently, the first time about 2km and our dryer stopped working, and the next about 10km and the washer stopped.
Unless you have really premium stuff, I'd be trying to sell it for a reasonable price in gumtree.

If you do go the container route, buy a bunch of rugs from the Salvos to wrap everything. Try to scrounge as many old cushions as you can, and pack all your fragile items using spray foam.
I've lived and worked in Asia, and know a lot of families that made the trip back and forth. Whilst furniture etc is usually fine, shipping crockery and glassware was usually a lost cause.

When choosing who to use, don't necessarily accept the cheapest quote. Try to sus out where they are going to save the money.
Make sure you have exclusive use of your container, and that they guarantee not to repack.
Make sure the time-frame for shipping is clearly defined. You don't want your stuff sitting in the container yard waiting for the cheapest ride.
Make sure the shipping route and method is locked in. (Probably not an issue Melb-Auck, but make sure that they're not going to truck it up to Sydney etc because there's a half-empty ship departing from there.
Lastly, if you can and it doesn't effect the cost too much, time your move for the months/season when favourable weather is more likely.
(Not sure when that would be for the Tasman??)
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #3
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

We did the move a few years back, if you choose to put everything in one container make sure the removals company pack everything. We packed a few things ourselves, wrapped in paper and bubble wrap, twice as much as they were using and when they got damaged in transit the insurance was a struggle. Do not underestimate the cost of items to save money on the insurance policy either, they obviously keep this estimate and hold you to it if anything gets damaged.
They are really strict on window tint darkness as well and will just rip it from the windows if too dark during the WOF.
Ross 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #4
tichman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
We did the move a few years back, if you choose to put everything in one container make sure the removals company pack everything. We packed a few things ourselves, wrapped in paper and bubble wrap, twice as much as they were using and when they got damaged in transit the insurance was a struggle. Do not underestimate the cost of items to save money on the insurance policy either, they obviously keep this estimate and hold you to it if anything gets damaged.
They are really strict on window tint darkness as well and will just rip it from the windows if too dark during the WOF.
As far as I know (from local Ford joint guys) the WOF here is a visual inspection only, other than pulling on the seat belts etc to make sure the mechs and catchs work properly they cannot touch anything as in poking rust etc to see if it becomes a hole. Bloke told me you can have bubble gum filling a rust hole and paint it and they cant poke it with a screwdriver or anything which came as a surprise as I know of WOF joints doing that in the past.

Limit for passenger car windows is 35% tint.

The vinning/rego process is more involved than a wof as mentioned below, seat belt anchor points will be inspected (removing B pillar trim, rear seats etc)

For your car its annual WOFs, anything pre 2000 is every 6 months. Rego for the FG, FGX should be about $80 odd yearly, extra 600 odd up to 1000 for first rego\vin check. AA are usually pretty good, some VTNZ joint guys can get like little hitlers with a bit of power going to their heads.
Friendly AA types may let you remove the trim etc yourself, local guys to me have done in the past.
tichman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tichman View Post
As far as I know (from local Ford joint guys) the WOF here is a visual inspection only, other than pulling on the seat belts etc to make sure the mechs and catchs work properly they cannot touch anything as in poking rust etc to see if it becomes a hole. Bloke told me you can have bubble gum filling a rust hole and paint it and they cant poke it with a screwdriver or anything which came as a surprise as I know of WOF joints doing that in the past.

Limit for passenger car windows is 35% tint.

The vinning/rego process is more involved than a wof as mentioned below, seat belt anchor points will be inspected (removing B pillar trim, rear seats etc)

For your car its annual WOFs, anything pre 2000 is every 6 months. Rego for the FG, FGX should be about $80 odd yearly, extra 600 odd up to 1000 for first rego\vin check. AA are usually pretty good, some VTNZ joint guys can get like little hitlers with a bit of power going to their heads.
Friendly AA types may let you remove the trim etc yourself, local guys to me have done in the past.
When I brought the Territory over they checked under all the door seals for rust, it was quite thorough. The WOF is more than visual, it's probably the equivalent of a NSW pink slip inspection. If rust is in a structural place they definitely can fail you. The cost of rego is a nice surprise to the wallet and insurance is cheaper too.
Old 18-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the advice.
We don't really have much household stuff to ship - the biggest items are fridge, washing machine and dryer. And about 5 tool boxes. The rest of the stuff we're just going to sell/flick - like beds etc.

Apparently you can load your car up if you pay for a solo 20ft container. This should be enough for me and I am getting quotes now.
I was originally looking at the 'shared 40ft container option but after reading your comments, I don't like the idea of sharing. Once my stuff is loaded, I want that door locked!
Old 18-07-2019, 06:01 PM   #7
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

All good as long as you don't need your car straight away, our cars got here ages before the shipping containers of household stuff.
Old 18-07-2019, 09:17 PM   #8
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm. The inside length of a 20ft container is only 5.9meters.
Apparently my car, an FGX (no tow bar) is 4.9meters long. That doesn't leave much room for stuff behind! The fridge is just over 0.7meters deep. Doesn't leave much wiggle room.
Will give some shipping companies a call tomorrow and see what they think.

Cheers

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk
Old 18-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How tall is your car? Is it worth raising it or building stowage above?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 View Post
Hmmm. The inside length of a 20ft container is only 5.9meters.
Apparently my car, an FGX (no tow bar) is 4.9meters long. That doesn't leave much room for stuff behind! The fridge is just over 0.7meters deep.

I have 2 shipping cont at my place with a LWB Mazda T4000 bus/cab chassis in one, there is even plenty of side room to walk to the back, a frig etc would fit alongside the car.
Personally I wouldn't be bothered importing the whitegoods either.
But its your stuff.
All the best with the move.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2019, 11:25 PM   #11
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I,m with citroenbender. Maybe knock up a cheap second level above the car and load it up with lighter stuff.I think a container is 2.3 metres high inside so with a car about 1.5 you should have 70cm or so of space.If you put the car close to one side then you should have 60 or 70 cm of side space.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2019, 11:35 PM   #12
wackyv8
wackyv8

dont be a cheapo . work out what really matters to you and leave/sell the rest. i couldnt bear putting a refrigerator , into the same shipping container as my prized vehicle. add a tired crane operator into the mix . cry. do they not sell whitegoods or tools in NZ?
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #13
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

If you do get her shipped over to New Zealand safely , what's involved in getting her registered . I think it's called Warrant of Fitness or something isn't ?

Not ever moving a car to or from anywhere , is there much mucking around with a current legal car. Will it have to go over the pits and have to go through customs and checked for any environmental threats (creepy crawlies and such) the car might potentially carry or does that get signed off in Oz first..Just curious .

Last edited by roddy1960; 19-07-2019 at 10:23 AM.
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #14
Lunch
Wait, what?

You may want to check that New Zealand has electricity first
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 08:19 PM   #15
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
You may want to check that New Zealand has electricity first
What ......you mean you have the skills to flip the switch?

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #16
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
If you do get her shipped over to New Zealand safely , what's involved in getting her registered . I think it's called Warrant of Fitness or something isn't ?

Not ever moving a car to or from anywhere , is there much mucking around with a current legal car. Will it have to go over the pits and have to go through customs and checked for any environmental threats (creepy crawlies and such) the car might potentially carry or does that get signed off in Oz first..Just curious .
MPI (govt dept) will check for any bio security risks once it lands, and charge a fee.

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal...ts-and-planes/

Going through a company like kiwi shipping will take care of all of that, and make it easy.

Car will need to go over the ‘pits’ which costs around $600, and have 28 days to do any repairs. Most cars seem to need new brakes - rotors, pads, hoses as standard repairs before going on the road. They also check for rust - remove seats, trim, pull up carpet. Should t be an issue on an FG X but after the dramas with Territory and B series Falcon you never know.
Then warrant of fitness every 12 months ($50), and registration around $120/year. Fuel price off sets that at current $2.26 for 91 and up to $2.60 for 98/litre.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #17
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a Kiwi. I've only lived in Aus a few years. I'm well aware of how the WOF/Rego and vin renewal of a car works. That's no issue.

The RORO - Roll On Roll Off - method of shipping. Does that mean your car is on the deck subjected to the elements during its voyage?

Will check out building a mezzanine type floor above the car for extra storage.

Old 20-07-2019, 12:25 PM   #18
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat007 View Post
I'm a Kiwi. I've only lived in Aus a few years. I'm well aware of how the WOF/Rego and vin renewal of a car works. That's no issue.

The RORO - Roll On Roll Off - method of shipping. Does that mean your car is on the deck subjected to the elements during its voyage?

Will check out building a mezzanine type floor above the car for extra storage.
As someone who has been around Transport for most of my life I'd make sure that any frame over the car is very VERY solid.

Containers are not treated gently. Go to a rail yard and see what loose shunting is like
Old 20-07-2019, 08:21 AM   #19
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.shipspotting.com/photos/b.../6/1473645.jpg
One of these beat us when we left Melbourne on a cruise ship heading to Auckland, all internal storage. A mate brings in hail and stat write offs all the time on these, never seems to have any issues. Can take a bit of time getting cert here if you don't know the right people/process, its not hard just some hoops to jump through. Also make sure car is spotless inside outside and underneath. Think info is on LTSA.

Last edited by five 7; 20-07-2019 at 08:42 AM.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #20
sr71

Ive read a thread here about NZ authorities making a mess of good cars. Handing them over, loosly put back together, with a leftover bag of bolts/fixings.

Regarding shelving. Look at buying some Dexion racking to fit against the rear wall, bolted together, fixed to the floor, and even some welds to the walls. Shelves come in 760mm or 1100ish deep. So two sets fixed together will give you a 1.5- 2.2 raised platform above your car, and less likely to tip over than one shelf.
Also there are 8 1/2 & 9 1/2 feet high containers.
Fridges on their side can end up with broken compressor springs/mounts from rough movement. (Broken compressor mounts on moblie coolrooms are common, simply from rough roads).

I wish you were coming the other way. I'm trying to get a special needs electric wheelchair from Christchurch. Quotes of $1200 for a 750mm x 800mm footprint. You think it would be an easy backload..
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep they do go a bit over board with inspection, but with Fgx it should be straight forward, as mentioned they seem to pick up brake rotors and such which covers there butts. If you have mods eg adjustable coil overs just remove and go back to stock it just makes process easier.
White ware is not that expensive if you shop around, just don't think it's worth the effort to bring back to nz.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #22
cat007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No WOF limiting mods on the car, so that's all gravy.
Yeah from past experience with re-vinning a car in NZ - brake rotors are often a default item.

I think I'll do the RORO method for the car. Various companies are about the same, they all come in at about $2K + on road costs in NZ.

The whiteware goods, if shipped in a cargo box, will cost about $700 by volume. I'll only get about $1900 for them if I were to sell them, and they'd cost about $3700 to replace in NZ. So for the cost to ship, as well as the fact I can put my tools and various other bits and bobs in the cargo box (which is about $2k door to door).

I'm told that a steam clean is a must for cars. Any recommendations to get this done? Or is that best left to the RORO company?
Old 26-10-2019, 02:51 AM   #23
Chugoy
Starter Motor

Just curious, why would you need it steam cleaned? Possible a RORO shipper could do it but it might be best to have it cleaned after shipping. For those asking I've used this transport before with no problems a1autotransport.com I think they do RORO and container but like others have said container shipper can be rough on the vehicle so I try to avoid it.
Chugoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post