Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 10-08-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
LordFordNZ

Default Window Tiniting

Hi all, looking at tiniting the windows on my LV LX. Who did you all all use?, and any problems with the end results - from what it looks like on other threads here, they all look like a great job. Any things to be aware of?, like getting the right VLT level (ie legal) of tint on side windows, getting the tint film right up to the glass edge etc? Look like some of you have a different level of tint on the front windows compared to the back? Am in Melbourne, so any local advice would be well appreciated. I have heard this can be a nightmare if not done right - both the results and with the law. Thanks

LordFordNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 10:36 AM   #2
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: Window Tiniting

You shouldn't have any troubles if you go with a reputable installer, I have darkest legal on mine, I had mine done in Sydney by a fellow named Dave at Reflect Effect (Professional detailer) he is able to do the application without the need to remove door trims, I preferred this option as many installers I have used in the past have not put door panels and trims back on correctly or have broken clips when removing them and not bothered to replace them and then you end up with rattles. I have a few tiny bubbles here and there but I expect come Summer they should nearly disappear, if not I'll give Dave a call and see what he says. Most importantly don't wind down the windows for at least 48 hours after application and remember to follow the instructions for care and maintenance of the film (ie don't use solvents or abrasives for cleaning) I find metho and water in a spray bottle used with paper towel or newspaper gives good results when cleaning. I'm sure there will be someone on the forum who can put you onto a good installer in Melbourne, failing that have a look online and see what's available in your area. Prices will vary but make sure whoever you use guarantees there work and you get that in writing. Don't forget to post up a pic after you have it done
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 10:47 AM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I went to Tint-A-Car (Box Hill) about 3 years ago and got the midnight express tint (darkest legal) and haven't had a single issue with it.

Around the same time, a friend went to a major competitor in Melbourne. Annoyingly, he had to go back to get it fixed - the tint did not go all the way up to the edge of the glass.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Samtheband
hear my ute purr.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
I went to Tint-A-Car (Box Hill) about 3 years ago and got the midnight express tint (darkest legal) and haven't had a single issue with it.

Around the same time, a friend went to a major competitor in Melbourne. Annoyingly, he had to go back to get it fixed - the tint did not go all the way up to the edge of the glass.

That issue happened to me at a Tint-a-car dealer in the eastern suburbs...needless to say, next time around I went to ANOTHER dealer.
(with this new ute)

Still Tint-a-car though, and I have a few bubbles also, but have been told that is normal and to just wait a few weeks, and it should have cleared.

No mods yet.
Samtheband is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
LordFordNZ

Thanks - all useful info. Did you all keep the same level of tint of all windows..I have seen cars with a lighter tint of front windows, and wonder if this is for legal reason?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:25 PM   #6
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordFordNZ
Thanks - all useful info. Did you all keep the same level of tint of all windows..I have seen cars with a lighter tint of front windows, and wonder if this is for legal reason?
Some cars come standard with privacy glass which is dark tinted rear windows and normal front windows, I think the legality is for the front windows in order to see the driver etc.

I think equal tint all round looks best by far.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2011, 03:29 PM   #7
LordFordNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
Some cars come standard with privacy glass which is dark tinted rear windows and normal front windows, I think the legality is for the front windows in order to see the driver etc.

I think equal tint all round looks best by far.
Yeah..I know that SUV's/4x4's are allowed this - its called Privacy Glass, there is no restriction on the tint, whereas, on cars I think its restricted to 75% VLT (Visible Light Transmission), though not sure if this is permitted on front windows...though as has been shown from responses above...all seems ok...thanks
Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #8
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try & get 3M brand tint. It has a Lifetime Warranty (as long as you own the car) that states if it de-laminates, bubbles, or goes purple you can get it replaced at any 3M dealer Australia wide.

The legal level or darkness varies from state to state. I know in NSW its 35% on cars but can be as dark as 20% on the rear windows on a commercial Vehicle like a ute or van.

There is a guy in Melbourn that alot of the guys on the XR5 forum rate as the best in Melbourne. His name is Rob & his website is http://www.cartint.net.au/
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
LordFordNZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neale
Try & get 3M brand tint. It has a Lifetime Warranty (as long as you own the car) that states if it de-laminates, bubbles, or goes purple you can get it replaced at any 3M dealer Australia wide.

The legal level or darkness varies from state to state. I know in NSW its 35% on cars but can be as dark as 20% on the rear windows on a commercial Vehicle like a ute or van.

There is a guy in Melbourn that alot of the guys on the XR5 forum rate as the best in Melbourne. His name is Rob & his website is http://www.cartint.net.au/
Thanks!---looks like Rob is the guru and is the place to go...
Old 11-08-2011, 09:40 AM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

The guy I've always used is Auto Shade 227 Nepean Hwy, Brighton.

I've had 4 cars done by him. Great work, great advice, passionate about his work. Premises aren't flash, but he does most of the prestige dealers along Nepean Highway

I'd put him up as the best in melbourne
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2011, 12:06 PM   #11
Conquest_Tsi

I have gotten several cars done with cash jobs, ask around at tint places and some staff do alot of work on the side for cash.

Legal is 35% which is not that dark and still can see in easy.
Have had 20% which is a good level, can still see out at night easy.
Have also had 15% which is very dark, looks good. Can be hard to see out at night if you dont have good eyesight.

All of the above have gone right up to the top of the glass and no trim removed etc

$200 it cost for the 20 and 15 % on another car.
Conquest_Tsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post