Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-04-2020, 10:40 PM   #61
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First experience .. Vic law regarding passing emergency vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Could it be the four policemen killed on a Melbourne freeway this afternoon was because people were panic breaking to get under 40 km/hr thus causing the accident?

https://www.news.com.au/national/vic...9ab13847d924ae
Absolutely to blame I'd say. (guess we dont know yet..)

Imagine this :

2 trucks in left lane doing 100kmh not too far apart, some cars brake, then the first truck brakes a bit hard, then the 2nd CANNOT see to the left why this is, so does an emergency braking swerve into the EMERGENCY lane to avoid to come across 2 police cars. No wonder the poor trucky had a Heart Attack after he saw what he had don.

Sad all round.

Pulling someone over for speeding is not an emergency. Shouldnt be used for any reason but to have as an emergency lane, ie to swerve into...

RIP to these Police. :-(
Old 22-04-2020, 10:49 PM   #62
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Speaking to someone who was there when it happened, that is exactly what happened.

He has given a statement to the police.

But have you noticed none of the news, nor the Police statements being made, are mentioning this fact as a probable cause?
6 users like this post:
Old 22-04-2020, 11:08 PM   #63
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
Dumbest rule ever IMHO

Hopefully it gets revoked or at least changed.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #64
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
Absolutely to blame I'd say. (guess we dont know yet..)

Imagine this :

2 trucks in left lane doing 100kmh not too far apart, some cars brake, then the first truck brakes a bit hard, then the 2nd CANNOT see to the left why this is, so does an emergency braking swerve into the EMERGENCY lane to avoid to come across 2 police cars. No wonder the poor trucky had a Heart Attack after he saw what he had don.

Sad all round.

Pulling someone over for speeding is not an emergency. Shouldnt be used for any reason but to have as an emergency lane, ie to swerve into...

RIP to these Police. :-(
Car was speeding excessively.
Dashcam showing it passing cars in the left lane doing probably 200kmh.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 23-04-2020, 12:17 AM   #65
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Speaking to someone who was there when it happened, that is exactly what happened.

But have you noticed none of the news, nor the Police statements being made, are mentioning this fact as a probable cause?
The truck driver should have kept quiet. Rule #1, never talk to the Police without a lawyer present. If the Porsche wasnt stolen I'd say the best thing the owner can do is seek legal representation. They're going to need it!
Old 23-04-2020, 12:18 AM   #66
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
Where's the dashcam footage?
This user likes this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 12:21 AM   #67
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
yes, they say it was being impounded, and when a car is being impounded the police have an extra car to provide "back up"

Still, could have waved him to leave the highway at the next exit for example? No need to use an emergency lane for a Non emergency.

Perhaps the driver of the Porsche should have thought to do that himself.
Old 23-04-2020, 01:28 AM   #68
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

I doubt 200k's in the left lane is realistic for overtaking, given people in the right lane were there for a reason, but that's my opinion based on the two times my idiot mates have taken me for a ride I didn't really want to take. Maybe the Porsche is that much better handling wise, but any left/right movement is mental at that speed.

I've also been called to walk up 30m for a breath test (when parking at my work, when I went in for an late afternoon emergency I needed to fix) when the cops were near my building and saw me park without driving past where they were testing. The young cop called a busload (seriously, a bus load of them came by!) of his work mates to drive up to us - before he took the reading. 0. He kept saying "very suspicious" except, that's where I work you effwit.

My last speeding fine, 6 years ago, in a 100 zone. The cop standing a foot into the left lane and me thinking - do you want to talk to me from the passenger side maybe? Oh, do whatever you want, yes sir, no sir...

I have no doubt these guys felt no pain, sad to say I know, but they aren't thinking clearly from the endorphins they had running through the minds when they had just decided they now own a Porsche. It is really sad, they need to smarten up though.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 01:32 AM   #69
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Where's the dashcam footage?
The dash cam footage was posted in Twitter earlier this evening.
I saw the footage, and yes, it looked like the Porsche was doing 200Km/hr.

Unfortunately, the footage has been taken down.
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 01:41 AM   #70
zipping
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post

Considering how close the incident is to the on-ramp, that I find a difficult one to navigate and I use it a lot, it's entirely possible that a merging car has cut-off the truck or got entangled with it unexpectedly somehow causing the accident. If the truck was the merging vehicle then driver has stuffed up big time.

If a car suddenly stopped to 40km/h surely the truck driver veers to the right away from the stationary flashing lights of the police cars and takes its chances in the middle of the road.

The Porsche driver leaving the scene is real odd, he was either in the car and nearly crushed, or out of it and not standing with the police you would assume.

Last edited by zipping; 23-04-2020 at 01:49 AM.
Old 23-04-2020, 01:57 AM   #71
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

9 news showed the dash cam footage late on Wednesday.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 23-04-2020, 02:12 AM   #72
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

10:37pm - since I happen to record all the prime (and a lot of secondary) TV channels on a loop for the past 4 weeks.

Thanks.

It was going fast. It probably was close to 200.
Old 23-04-2020, 02:19 AM   #73
JasonACT
Away on leave

Image:

Old 23-04-2020, 08:24 AM   #74
roddy1960
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Really sad for the families of the police and police community ...I found it hard to believe when I saw the late news last night..

Whatever the circumstances ...lives lost . ..Terrible .
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #75
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

How the hell did the dash cam footage get released! No one other than the investigators have the right to be viewing that at the moment.

RIP to the officers.

Trying no to jump to conclusions but why would the bloke run if he owned the car. And what kind of person runs when 4 others have just been mowed down in front of them.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 08:38 AM   #76
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not in Queensland. Thank goodness Qld doesnt have it. I hope the tragic deaths of the 4 Police Officers , isn't as a result of this law. Condolences to the families of the 4 Officers.
Apparently, the Porsche was owned by Lorbek Luxury Cars?
Old 23-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #77
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipping View Post
The Porsche driver leaving the scene is real odd, he was either in the car and nearly crushed, or out of it and not standing with the police you would assume.
Some news reports say the driver of the Porsche was a known criminal, so that is why he fled the scene.

Maybe the car was stolen?

The reports say, when the first two cops pulled over the driver, and identified him as a criminal, that is when they called for backup, and the other two cops arrived on the scene.

I don't think a normal speeding driver or owner, would have fled the scene.
I mean the car has your rego number... They know who you are...
How far before they track you down anyway?
Old 23-04-2020, 09:03 AM   #78
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

That dash cam footage was from about a month ago. Same vehicle tho.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 09:09 AM   #79
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Wow. So much jumping to conclusions already in this thread. Glad you guys don't do investigations for a living.

Rather than focusing on whether the law was to blame, how about we focus on four lives lost simply because they were doing their duty? Surely that should be the focus of our attention so early in the episode.

Let the investigators do their job, drawing conclusion based on evidence as much as possible. Then we can determine whether the law was a cause or not once the evidence has been analysed.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
Old 23-04-2020, 09:23 AM   #80
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Wow. So much jumping to conclusions already in this thread. Glad you guys don't do investigations for a living.
Well, whether the driver of the Porsche was speeding or not, or if it was just a routine pullover, he is still guilty of a crime.

His car was involved in an accident, being crushed under the truck.

It is an offence to leave the scene of a motor accident, especially were people are injured or killed, and not try to render assistance.
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #81
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Well, whether the driver of the Porsche was speeding or not, or if it was just a routine pullover, he is still guilty of a crime.

His car was involved in an accident, being crushed under the truck.

It is an offence to leave the scene of a motor accident, especially were people are injured or killed, and not try to render assistance.
Hey GoFurther, my comment was directed at the conclusion that the speed laws were the cause of the accident, not the reasons as to why the driver took off.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 09:30 AM   #82
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Undoubtedly, some of the present discussion refers to matters which will soon enough become sub judice at a court level exceeding that in the case of keying a parked car.
Old 23-04-2020, 09:37 AM   #83
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post
That dash cam footage was from about a month ago. Same vehicle tho.
Whoopsy, that's a bit inconvenient then isn't it.

As for how the dashcam footage is released? Anyone with dashcam footage can post it on Facebook, Twitter, Liveleak or any platform.
Old 23-04-2020, 09:41 AM   #84
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Whoopsy, that's a bit inconvenient then isn't it.

As for how the dashcam footage is released? Anyone with dashcam footage can post it on Facebook, Twitter, Liveleak or any platform.
Ah so it wasnt from the truck then?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-04-2020, 09:59 AM   #85
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Hey GoFurther, my comment was directed at the conclusion that the speed laws were the cause of the accident, not the reasons as to why the driver took off.
So the truck just drove into the emergency lane for no other reason?
have you every encountered this 40kph law on a freeway? everyone has to slam on their bakes, now imagine doing that in a Truck.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
2 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #86
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
have you every encountered this 40kph law on a freeway? everyone has to slam on their bakes, now imagine doing that in a Truck.
Take it the Police dont put out triangles or warning prior?
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 23-04-2020, 10:05 AM   #87
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Surely on a divided road like a freeway, everyone wouldn’t have to slow down, just clear the lane where the cop car is stopped? On an undivided road it makes sense.
Here in Melbourne, even before they brought in the 40kph law we have rubberneckers that have to slow and have a look on the other side of a freeway with little concern of whats behind them.

Ive followed many cars where their central mirror is positioned to look back at themselves..
3 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #88
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Take it the Police dont put out triangles or warning prior?
not normally in a pullover situation, but from what I read there wasn't time to do that anyway
Old 23-04-2020, 10:13 AM   #89
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
The real cause is driving standards, not the laws. I'm not familiar with the stretch of road where it happened but unless it was over the crest of a rise, blue and reds can be seen some distance away. It's not difficult to slow down when you first see them. I've had to do it numerous times in 100 zones.

In a 100 zone you should have approx 60 - 80 metres between vehicles as a safe following distance. That's about 3 seconds and gives you time to react. It's very simple and controlled by the driver of each vehicle.

About time the law clamped down on following distances.

This is very traffic incident and one the laws were trying to stop. Paint whatever picture you like but these police officers were just trying to do their job.
Old 23-04-2020, 10:29 AM   #90
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The real cause is driving standards, not the laws. I'm not familiar with the stretch of road where it happened but unless it was over the crest of a rise, blue and reds can be seen some distance away. It's not difficult to slow down when you first see them. I've had to do it numerous times in 100 zones.

In a 100 zone you should have approx 60 - 80 metres between vehicles as a safe following distance. That's about 3 seconds and gives you time to react. It's very simple and controlled by the driver of each vehicle.

About time the law clamped down on following distances.

This is very traffic incident and one the laws were trying to stop. Paint whatever picture you like but these police officers were just trying to do their job.
I have no doubt following distance is a huge factor, from the above posts the Truck was behind another Truck, and I don't see where I suggested these poor cops were doing anything wrong.. why would you get that idea?
Closed Thread