Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Today, 04:49 AM   #1711
kmav23

Default Re: That Tesla thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Outside of Tesla, there doesn't seem to be a massive interest to switch to BEVs,
even the Chinese are having to force people to change with legislation..

Sure, there will be more BEVs around in places like USA, China and Europe
but countries like Australia will remain a low take rate because of high prices.
All the car manufacturers have announced they are heading away from ICE cars. All the money is going into electric cars which will improve the range and reduce the price. Battery prices fall every year.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 05:32 AM   #1712
happy1
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Hi,
Still haven't got clarity around if you are paid by Tesla or not, but clearly you are an influencer for BEVs.

I believe the future in Australia will bring more high performance PHEVs.
Here is one that can drive 70km per charge without using any petrol:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/792286/...v-quick-drive/

In AUS this one may cost $60k + on-road fees, which isn't too bad, but could have been lower. Government should really have made some concessions and incentives towards BEV and PHEV to speed up the sales.

Cheers,
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 07:05 AM   #1713
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy1 View Post
Hi,

Still haven't got clarity around if you are paid by Tesla or not, but clearly you are an influencer for BEVs.

I believe the future in Australia will bring more high performance PHEVs.

Here is one that can drive 70km per charge without using any petrol:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/792286/...v-quick-drive/

In AUS this one may cost $60k + on-road fees, which isn't too bad, but could have been lower. Government should really have made some concessions and incentives towards BEV and PHEV to speed up the sales.

Cheers,
Given a Tesla Model 3 costs only $5k more, it makes little sense especially since they are using the torsion beam rear as well. Real world range will be less than 50 kms as well (look at the C300e and BMW 330e; their real world range was abysmal). That car makes no sense to me.

Btw, I just bought two A250's (presents; one for mum and the other for my in-laws) and not a Tesla due to the fact my mum wanted a Merc her whole life and I do like the way the 250 drives and the interior of the new A class.

Both will be replaced with Model Y when it enters the market. I thought of waiting for the A250e but the car made no sense to me given my experience with the C class and 3 series.
2014 GT-F, Manual, Kinetic with Black Stripes
2016 Everest Titanium, Sunset
2017 Tesla Model S, Blue
2019 Mustang Bullitt
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 12:12 PM   #1714
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
Given a Tesla Model 3 costs only $5k more
$5k more, but how many months would you have to wait for it?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 12:17 PM   #1715
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
All the car manufacturers have announced they are heading away from ICE cars. All the money is going into electric cars which will improve the range and reduce the price. Battery prices fall every year.
Don't get me wrong, I do believe that BEVs are the future for most of our vehicles,
I just don't believe that it will be as quick as you think.

Manufacturers are investing heavily in BEVs because they think that people will
pay more for them. Many manufacturers claim that BEV are becoming cost neutral
compared to straight ICE vehicles but the retail price difference is massive and,
until that price gap goes completely away, most buyers will stay away....

No consideration has been given to growing energy grids to cover all these expected
new BEVs which will require fast charging to maintain the perception that their
"fuel tanks" are as "big" as current ICEs. All that fast charge takes a lot of current.
There are still a lot of price / cost hurdles to overcome with charging infrastructure
and those manufacturers are going to want a return on those facilities.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 01:27 PM   #1716
kypez
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
$5k more, but how many months would you have to wait for it?
Not much wait time. For me personally, as am existing Tesla owner, less than a month. For others, I'd suggest 1 month. I just had a look online and it's late November for delivery of the SR+ for anyone. I'd suggest that would be the same even for an existing owner.

The new A Class PHEV is 6 months away (Q2 2020 option).
2014 GT-F, Manual, Kinetic with Black Stripes
2016 Everest Titanium, Sunset
2017 Tesla Model S, Blue
2019 Mustang Bullitt
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post