Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 31-07-2019, 10:33 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Tray Repairers

Asking in advance because sometimes one finds an industry is very “closed shop”.

Foster Ute has light damage to the tray rear. I believe it’s an old Challenge item, probably on its third chassis. Are the extrusions really unique and proprietary, or are they typically available from the big alloy suppliers?

Or - do the tray manufacturers refuse to sell sections, desiring to keep repairs in-house?

Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Tray Repairers

I found a similar problem trying to repair a sectional garage door, but that was more visual.

You could get a similar profile from an Alco manufacturer, and shim it if required.

what does the top look like? is it that bad
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2019, 02:23 PM   #3
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Best to repair it rather than replace. Find a suitable aluminium alloy z-section from an aluminium supplier to use as a repair section. You'd only need a short piece say 300mm long (or more if needed, I cant really tell how far the damage extends) to nest into the existing section, extending past the damage each side. Might be even be better instead to use two right angle sections back to back each side of the existing section which will then avoid needing shims.Cut away the torn flange (leaving the remaining intact section), and bend the remaining bent part of the damaged extrusion back into shape. then Pop rivet the repair z- section in after painting the bare surfaces, say 4 rows of rivets each side past the cutout section to restore the strength.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2019, 03:04 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

It may yet come to a repair. The main problem is that it’s a “finisher” plank with the end rail being part of the extrusion - and therefore under some pressure as the mounting place for tailgate hinges. The OEM hinges locate in a recess of the extrusion and further anchor the longitudinal rails against sideways racking.

Cutting this vertical end away and inserting a meaty U-channel would be one fix.

Glad to not hear that tray manufacturers are famous for being a law unto themselves - or anything similar.
Old 31-07-2019, 03:19 PM   #5
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

You can buy the sections from most ally mobs. You have to remove the coaming rail along one side and slide the damaged section out and replace with the new one. Getting the right profile might be problem but I’m sure most the big mobs carry various styles. See if you can find a makers mark somewhere and ring around.

We use this mob in QLD.
http://alsun.com.au/products/transport-sections

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 31-07-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve just had an initial discussion with a chap called Peter, from Flexiglass NSW.

Have sent in requested images, will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Trawled Gumtree and Fleabay, can’t find out where the damaged trays end up!
Old 31-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
73 4V XB
Frankenford pilot
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’ve just had an initial discussion with a chap called Peter, from Flexiglass NSW.

Have sent in requested images, will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Trawled Gumtree and Fleabay, can’t find out where the damaged trays end up!
I would assume all damaged trays are either repaired or gone to scrap metal.

73 XB GT
Last of the Big Ports
73 4V XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, found a couple of elephant graveyards late today via some mates. One place a scrappy, the other a truck wrecker.
Old 31-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #9
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Ullrich aluminium sell all the transport related profiles. https://www.ullrich.com.au/extrusions download their online catalogue. A lot of bigger old trays end up as farm trailers.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2019, 11:52 PM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Flexiglass emailed back late on Friday; they will sell me the section if desired, it’s about $150 in my hands. Yet to check out the elephant graveyards or my mate’s tip-off about a scrap tray at his workplace.
Old 21-08-2019, 08:36 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Mate of a mate finally got back to me, three trays at a sound price, one is a “Telstra box”. This could be interesting! Tiny house time?
Old 22-08-2019, 09:39 AM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

other option keep it as is, paint Telstar (old Ford name) keep those colours as close to Telstra and annoy the shoit out of your neighbours.
Old 22-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Most of my neighbours would find that hilarious.

Wouldn’t they make a great mobile kitchen/pantry, though? Might have to get HACCP accreditation.
Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The quick and the dead...

“Telstra body” is an XL service body with a number of those little hatch doors secured by natty hardware. White, paint sanded ready for a repaint.

One tray went to recycling before I got there - can’t complain, illness is the luck of the draw.

The other tray was a 6x6 Planet Ute off a BT-50, too short and slightly too wide for Povo Ute - and the floor/coaming rail profiles are different. Nice clean unit, brushed stainless hinges,stainless fixings, even got lights and factory harness. I’ll try to unload it as a tray before weighing it in.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 02-09-2019 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:02 PM   #15
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Flexiglass seem to use a fairly unique set of profiles. Their decking planks are "back to front" when compared with many, and are also pretty light on. I couldn't find a match from any commercial extrusion supplier.

My situation was resolved with matching donor planks from a lightly damaged crew cab tray that cost me six hours' work. Three planks too short to use in entirety, but I gutted it and used my "least worst" original three with these ones. Elapsed time was sixteen days, but that's on a part-time repair basis. Greatest other expense after the car's "sitting cost" of about $14/day was stainless fasteners.

From my experience, if you have a place to work and a decent drop saw with aluminium cutting blade, the only physical issue with DIY tray building or repair is the swarf. I'd build one from scratch to save the beans, if it priced up that way.
Old 13-10-2019, 08:56 AM   #16
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Sound like your having a few issues, I think I would have bought another second hand one to fit, but a get you don't have the space.
I know a guy doing the same with an AU ute/tray only he just adapted a steel one.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2019, 09:24 AM   #17
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just paid $350 for 2 mid panels and rear panel from flexiglass dealer locally which i thought wasnt too bad. You can get them in and out without removing side rails with some mucking around. Would never own another flrxiglass tray though, theyre not real strong and totally buckle at the slightest impact
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That pretty much sums it up as I found too (the inherent weakness). It's all back together, my repair came in a shade under yours with standing cost included, and labour priced at nil.