Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-01-2007, 11:52 PM   #1
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Question Crank sensor issues

Evening all

I was wondering what exactly the crank sensor is for? its located above the crank (duh) at the front of the motor.

I'm asking because initially i thought it was the cause of a small oil leak i have got, but i'm unsure.

Its hard to tell because where ever the oil is coming out its right near the belts so it ends up being sprayed.
so if its not the sensor what might it be? any suggestions would be appreciated!

Chad

DoreSlamR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 AM   #2
Tech Trainer
Are you sure about that?

The crank sensor tell the computer if the engine is running. The computer will then enable the fuel pump, spark and injection. Needless to say no crank signal no go.

As for your oil leak it could be your timing case seal (seals crank pulley to timing case) or the camshaft position sensor, which lives behind the gold coloured plate on the front of the engine.

Wash the area down and take the car for a drive (20 to 30k). Check the area when you return.

Have fun!
Tech Trainer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #3
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

more than likely the oil leaks coming from the front main seal,behind your harmonic balancer.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

hmm it does appear to be coming from that area, i guess thats a job for the mechanic? hopefully not too expensive..
Old 07-01-2007, 01:49 PM   #5
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
hmm it does appear to be coming from that area, i guess thats a job for the mechanic? hopefully not too expensive..
$45.00 for a puller
$12.00 for a seal and 1.5 hours max to change it as you need to pull the radiator for comfort and then the harmonic balancer and serpintine belt
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #6
Free347

I'm guessing it might take a while longer if you haven't done it before.
Free347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 12:35 AM   #7
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free347
I'm guessing it might take a while longer if you haven't done it before.
agreed!

i got a mate whos a mechanic so i just need to tempt him with a bottle of beam :dr_Evil:
Old 08-01-2007, 01:15 AM   #8
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Trainer
The crank sensor tell the computer if the engine is running. The computer will then enable the fuel pump, spark and injection. Needless to say no crank signal no go.

As for your oil leak it could be your timing case seal (seals crank pulley to timing case) or the camshaft position sensor, which lives behind the gold coloured plate on the front of the engine.

Wash the area down and take the car for a drive (20 to 30k). Check the area when you return.

Have fun!
The crank angle sensor is a motronic style sensor, which means it uses polirity of magnets to determine the overall and current position of the engine cycle. on the front of the pulley is a tooth wheel with 36 teeth, where the 36th is missing to indicate the home position (TDC of No1 piston). each tooth respresents every 10 degrees of the full cycle. The AU does no longer use a cam sensor (except for VCT), as the motronic sensor is able to determine the home poistion as described above. only in the EF Falcon has the cam angle sensor located underneath the intake manifold, in the dizzy hohle, which was a halleffect sensor, which can only sense the home position.

The Fuel pump will operate even when the CAS doesnt work or works intermiddentaly. the CAS determines the exact location within the fuel and ignition map (visualize the fuel and ignition map as RPM vs Load in 2d Level and ms injection or degree advance ignition timing in the 3d horizontal).

The CAS should not be affected by oil as its a motronic sensor and not a halleffect. only metal or magnetic objects within the vacinity of the sensor may corrupt the signal.
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2007, 01:34 AM   #9
EvilChief
Boost Addict

oh and as for the problem solving of the oil leak, gasket gue has done wonders for me
LN65 Hilux Turbo - sold
EL31 Corolla Turbo - sold
Ford AU Ute Turbo - sold
Ford AU XR8 Sedan - 5.4l V8 Turbo (in the build)
Ford BA XR6T Ute - daily driver
Ford FG XR6T Sedan - cruiser

do you see a general trend? I DO

Can't live with it, can't live without it!
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2019, 05:48 PM   #10
69 XT FALCON
Starter Motor

Default Re: Crank sensor issues

Help!!!

So my car cut out the other day whils driving amd i could not get it to start
Prior to that it was suffering fro misfiring for a about a week then it decided enoygh was enough.

Im starting to think my cas is stuffed even though i changed it last year. It was a repco brand amd not taking anything away from repco but someone told me i was best buying a genuine one.

Is this a common issue with these barra engines?

At the moment i have power going to injectors and coils but no pulsing wjen cranking...

Thoughts?
I have ordered a new genuine sensor and pick it up monday

Cheers
69 XT FALCON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post