Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 14-07-2019, 07:16 AM   #1
pundit
Gazza!

Default MD mondeo - what to look for and servicing

Howdy folks, currently looking at a MD mondeo wagon 2ltr turbo diesel. Just trying to find some real world reviews on things such as servicing costs, and economy numbers, and what problems people have with cars.

Are these like other diesels where every 30,000kms the valve clearance needs to be checked? Do they run a timing belt, if so whats the intervals?

It's a tough choice, love how the car drives, just doing research, my current daily is a 07 BF MKII Fairmont Ghia with nothing wrong it just needs a full service, so weighing up options at the moment.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2019, 11:12 AM   #2
thebigd

Default Re: MD mondeo - what to look for and servicing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pundit View Post
Howdy folks, currently looking at a MD mondeo wagon 2ltr turbo diesel. Just trying to find some real world reviews on things such as servicing costs, and economy numbers, and what problems people have with cars.

Are these like other diesels where every 30,000kms the valve clearance needs to be checked? Do they run a timing belt, if so whats the intervals?

It's a tough choice, love how the car drives, just doing research, my current daily is a 07 BF MKII Fairmont Ghia with nothing wrong it just needs a full service, so weighing up options at the moment.
I can answer a few of your questions.
First of all, I change the oil every 7500k's, not 15000 as the service book states. The correct 0-30 oil will cost you around $80 depending on brand, I do buy my own (Fuchs). Each service costs me around $200 thanks to a trusted local service center.
After 20,000k's my overall economy is sitting at 5.7L / 100, but I do manage 4.7 on the highway.
Yes they run a belt, but I'm not sure when it needs to be changed, or how often you need to check the clearances.
About to pick up a new Trend diesel hatch this week, as my last one was in an accident.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_33071.JPG (126.6 KB, 29 views)
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-07-2019, 09:22 PM   #3
gsd112
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I had 2 trend wagons in a row. Both mechanically have been faultless, they are company cars and get serviced as per ford recommended schedule. We turned them over at 75,000kms. Both sat at about 6.5lp100km at an average speed of 46km/h. On a run from Sydney to Melbourne they got about 5.5 at best. I found the build quality poor. Car 1 had 3 new steering wheels we had over 30 in our fleet and they all had peeling wheels in summer. Both cars had squeaks and rattles. Car 2 had a revised coating on the steering wheel and was fine. Our company stopped Mondeos being available and gave the Passat and Outback options. I have a Passat know and it is in another league to the Mondeo in build quality. The Mondeo drives better than the Passat but not by a great margin.
gsd112 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
bundybear75

I have the MC TDCi but I believe the servicing is the same

Service interval is 15,000 km but I do mine myself at 7,500 km.

Timing belt is every 200,000 km (once again I did mine myself)

Powershift transmission MUST be serviced every 60,000 km. DCT fluid is quite expensive but once again not a hard job if you are mechanically minded.

Factory service costs can be estimated from the Ford website, I think its expensive for what they actually provide.

https://www.ford.com.au/owners/service/calculator/
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
pundit
Gazza!

Every 200,000 for the timing belt seems not too bad at all! 60,000km exains the $910 service. My local ford dealer were very unhelpful at explaning what was part of the 60,000km services
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
Kiwi67
Starter Motor

I know its not diesel but i've got a 9/16 MD Ambiente 2.0 petrol wagon. Ford charged me $377 for the first 15K service. Got a local English guy who does servicing and custom tuning on mercs, Bentleys etc to log book service it. $264. Ford sefvice are a joke at best. Had me up in the service waiting room for 1.5 hours for airbag change ,text me car was ready then told me, ' oh sorry, someone else took your parts'. I lost a mornings worth of earnings for my business due to their incompetence.. never again. But i like the car though. Drives nice and its compfy.
Kiwi67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #7
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

It's not a Mondeo but my TF Kuga (TXMA - 120kw) uses a similar diesel engine.
I just picked up all my service items thru Sparesbox (online) for $150 (Air, oil, fuel, cabin filters + synthetic oil). i do this every 10,000kms.
My timing belt, however, is every 100,000kms.
I have my DCT transmission serviced, locally, for $295.

These engines are awesome
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post