Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 02-08-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Default The AU get's an upgrade!!

Here are some pictures of the stereo upgrade in the AU. A HUGE thanks goes to my good mate Rick (T2TL50) and Doug ofcourse and their mate (who's name I forget LOL) who helped with the install. It didn't take them long to get it all done. All works great and fit's perfectly. They did a top job!! There's an annoying rev interference at low volume but we'll sort that out. The whole setup cost me $480 and $20 for wiring and clips. Not too bad for a cheapie :

There is an Autobarn story to this but that's a whole new thread. All I'll say about that is "NEVER AGAIN!!!"

CLICKY FOR STEREO PICS

2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Me clicky und likey. Roof mount is a nice touch...

Love the stocky stereo... discarded like so much rubbish... banished to sit in the dirt amoungst the bark chips.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:24 PM   #3
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

thats classy, suits the car and the price is very good

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 04:26 PM   #4
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Hahahaha that's not the stocky stereo banished to sit amongst the bark chips .. It's actually stage 1 of install. LOL look closely - it's the new in-dash screen awaiting it's partner, the DVD player :P
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 02-08-2005, 04:30 PM   #5
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairmont_Krissy
Hahahaha that's not the stocky stereo banished to sit amongst the bark chips .. It's actually stage 1 of install. LOL look closely - it's the new in-dash screen awaiting it's partner, the DVD player :P
Woops :

/starts cover up

Observant not a quality used to describe me Now that i look closely...

/end

How do the roof mounts communicate with head unit/vice versa??
Old 02-08-2005, 06:23 PM   #6
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
Woops :

/starts cover up

Observant not a quality used to describe me Now that i look closely...

/end

How do the roof mounts communicate with head unit/vice versa??
RCA plugs and a bit of wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecraft
thats classy, suits the car and the price is very good
Thanks
Old 02-08-2005, 06:34 PM   #7
Qwikcorty
V8 Turbo Hoon

krissy, what are you doing with the std cd player now? my no.5 button doesnt work.
Qwikcorty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
|2aebird
Resident Volvo Driver

How come so cheap, there seems to be alot of stuff there for so little money?! Looks very good indeed... Did you have to cut anything behind the dvd player to get it to fit?
|2aebird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 06:49 PM   #9
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Just the head unit is worth 400 dollars.That pricing is a steal.Not bad installation either.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #10
Silhouette AU1 TS50.

Holy crap! They stipped your car! :hihi:. Looks neat as! Well done Rick, Doug and the little dude (sorry can't remember his name either). Me want DVD now :.

ps: What is that little red button? Is that the "Naawzz" button? :Reverend:

PIC'S OF MY
T1 TS50.
12 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #11
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwikcorty
krissy, what are you doing with the std cd player now? my no.5 button doesnt work.
It's for sale. Feel free to PM with an offer :Up_to_som

Quote:
Originally Posted by |2aebird
How come so cheap, there seems to be alot of stuff there for so little money?! Looks very good indeed... Did you have to cut anything behind the dvd player to get it to fit?
How come so cheap you ask? eBay mate!! It's usually the only place I buy anything really.

And yes a little cutting had to be done, nothing major. I handed a kitchen knife over to Rick - 3 seconds later he was done. If you want to know what he did exactly, PM him because I refused to watch my car being torn apart LOL so I didn't see most of what he did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
Holy crap! They stipped your car! : Looks neat as! Well done Rick, Doug and the little dude (sorry can't remember his name either). Me want DVD now :

ps: What is that little red button? Is that the "Naawzz" button? :Reverend:
I was in the kitchen cooking them lunch. Next thing you know my roof lining is in the house. I think I fainted - I don't remember :

That red light is courtesy of Autobarn when they installed my alarm : I told them not to because I have the flashing hand in the dash but noooooooo install it anyway ya pr**ks! The light is now disabled though thank god.
Old 02-08-2005, 11:14 PM   #12
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All of that stuff cost you $500??? thats a bargain.. seriously! Looks great ;)
I wonder, is it possible to get just a roof mount screen and have that working off a portable dvd player or ps2 or something? I wonder how much.. i'm useless at stuff like that but its certainly interesting at that price. You got a steal krissy, nice car you have ;)
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 12:31 AM   #13
MrAUII

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennAUII
I wonder, is it possible to get just a roof mount screen and have that working off a portable dvd player or ps2 or something? I wonder how much.. i'm useless at stuff like that but its certainly interesting at that price. You got a steal krissy, nice car you have ;)
Would be very easy to do.

Nice install Krissy. I have exactly the same setup. An indash screen and roof mount. The annoying part is all the remote controls. I have one for the HU, indash screen, roof mount screen and PS2controller. I know my passengers love watching movies and music dvds.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:13 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Certainly is - that's what I have in my AU XR8. Roof mounted screen around $120, FM modulator for radio around $40, 240V inverter to run PS2 or Xbox around $60. All off ebay of course. The setup in the wagon cost me around $600 (roof mounted screen, JVC DVD head unit and passenger side home made visor screen).

But $500 for what Krissy got is an absolute bargain!

Also - there's a store on ebay that does twin 7" headrest screens in black leather for around the $400 mark - comes with the leather headrests and all, with a CF look surround. I'll see if I can find a link.

Krissy - nice wheel. Lol.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 01:46 AM   #15
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Found the Leather Headrest screens - $395 including postage from HK. I have purchased other products from that seller and they were pretty good.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 03-08-2005, 02:00 AM   #16
carratt
I Love My T3

damn those leather headrests look awesome. Might be time for me to start thinking about an entertainment upgrade for the AU
carratt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2005, 02:05 AM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Yep - you can get them in beige too.

Old 03-08-2005, 10:23 AM   #18
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
You got a steal krissy, nice car you have ;)
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAUII
The annoying part is all the remote controls.
Yeah I've got 3 now arrgghhhh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCXR8
But $500 for what Krissy got is an absolute bargain!
Well it would have cost me more with the postage (which was about $45.00) but there was a little hiccup and in the end I got it posted for free and Autobarn wanted $280 to install plus they wanted me to pay for a wiring loom so if it wasn't for Rick, it would have cost me quite alot more. Lol a wiring loom - geezus I gave Rick $20 and he came back with everything needed plus 100mtrs of wire and change LOL.

Quote:
Krissy - nice wheel. Lol.
Got that right :Up_to_som

Quote:
Originally Posted by carratt
damn those leather headrests look awesome. Might be time for me to start thinking about an entertainment upgrade for the AU
Do it Brad - do it!!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 AM   #19
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Must say, looks very nice Krissy. Got it done for the right money too.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:29 PM   #20
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Certainly is - that's what I have in my AU XR8. Roof mounted screen around $120, FM modulator for radio around $40, 240V inverter to run PS2 or Xbox around $60. All off ebay of course. The setup in the wagon cost me around $600 (roof mounted screen, JVC DVD head unit and passenger side home made visor screen).
So something LIKE THIS would work ok if i got a power inverter for my ps2? Whats an fm modulator? I'm really.. really bad at this type of thing..
Would it work with my standard AUII CD player?

Last edited by GlennBA; 03-08-2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:08 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Looks great Krissy. Good job boys.

It sounds like Rick and co are worth their weight in gold!

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 AM   #22
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
So something LIKE THIS would work ok if i got a power inverter for my ps2? Whats an fm modulator? I'm really.. really bad at this type of thing..
You might find this handy then. Scroll down the page a bit and look in the 'Wiring & Accessories' section..

http://electronixwarehouse.com/products.htm
Old 04-08-2005, 12:51 AM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Would it work with my standard AUII CD player?
Yep, that'll do the job but you can get an 8" screen that swivels (like Krissy's) for $120 to $150 - plus postage. Like this 8" screen.

The FM modulator takes the RCA plugs from your PS2 for the audio out and converts it to an FM signal, which connects in between your aerial and CD tuner. You tune it in to one of 2 or 4 stations (usually around FM88.3 or so), so you get the sound through your current CD tuner & speakers.

If you get an inverter, make sure it's at least 300W, Like this one: 300W Inverter . I actually have this one in my XR8 and it works great.

F_K - sorry for making your thread a tutorial!

Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 AM   #24
Velociraptor
Digging for avatar

Very nice Krissy , btw whats that mirror for on passenger side rear grab handle? :
Old 04-08-2005, 01:02 AM   #25
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, that'll do the job but you can get an 8" screen that swivels (like Krissy's) for $120 to $150 - plus postage. Like this 8" screen.

The FM modulator takes the RCA plugs from your PS2 for the audio out and converts it to an FM signal, which connects in between your aerial and CD tuner. You tune it in to one of 2 or 4 stations (usually around FM88.3 or so), so you get the sound through your current CD tuner & speakers.

If you get an inverter, make sure it's at least 300W, Like this one: 300W Inverter . I actually have this one in my XR8 and it works great.

beautiful...
JCXR8 you would be one handy fella to have on MSN lol.. Thanks for the help.
Looks like the next thing i'll be saving for is the in car dvd setup.

Glenn
Old 04-08-2005, 01:10 AM   #26
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
beautiful...
JCXR8 you would be one handy fella to have on MSN lol.. Thanks for the help.
Looks like the next thing i'll be saving for is the in car dvd setup.

Glenn
I know as much about getting on MSN or ICQ or whatever else it's called as you do about 8" screens! LOL. We all have our strengths & interests.

Old 04-08-2005, 01:11 AM   #27
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Nah go for it mate. It's a bit of learning for those of us that don't know much when it comes to this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor
btw whats that mirror for on passenger side rear grab handle? :
It's top secret stuff mate :Up_to_som

Nah, I use to use it when I had my daughter in the baby capsule. When she was in the capsule, her feet faced towards the back window which meant I couldn't actually see her head. That mirror (when angled right) able'd me to see her face from the drivers seat.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:45 AM   #28
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Krissy, another question...

How clear is the picture on the screen on the in-dash TFT?
Old 04-08-2005, 09:46 AM   #29
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That looks great! Makes me all motivated to fit my touchscreen and laptop to the car!
Quote:
Nice! Looks like the xbox is going in the car as well!
Old 04-08-2005, 12:38 PM   #30
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUII_SE_Ute
Krissy, another question...

How clear is the picture on the screen on the in-dash TFT?
See I don't really like answering questions like this because what's clear to me might not be to you LOL. Nah, it's clear if you're looking dead centre at it. Obviously, when you're driving you're looking at it on a slight angle and you know how when you look at a TFT screen on an angle, it's kinda funny? But then again, I haven't adjusted any of the settings on the screen yet so might be that it's not bright enough

Hmmmmm I might play around with the settings today and see if it's different. I'll get back to you on this..

**DISCLAIMER**
No I do not drive with the dash screen open nor has the screen been tricked into thinking that the handbrake is actually on :Up_to_som