Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2019, 01:34 PM   #31
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Default Re: What does the future hold for automotive enthusiasm?

I agree. My comment was mainly a joke.

Autonomous senna is the utopian version of what we will get.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-05-2019, 02:22 PM   #32
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there will be a big market for hotting up EV's, they are doing it now in the US
they have drag tesla's

imaging buying a used [insert generic EV here] and putting a bigger battery in it then upgrading motors, brakes from a prehistoric FPV or HSV
a 10 second prius is probably achievable in the next 10 years with bolt on parts

i'll still have my GT and kingswood in the garage though
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #33
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

So the spam emails of the future will be for Prius enlargement?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #34
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
there will be a big market for hotting up EV's, they are doing it now in the US
they have drag tesla's

imaging buying a used [insert generic EV here] and putting a bigger battery in it then upgrading motors, brakes from a prehistoric FPV or HSV
a 10 second prius is probably achievable in the next 10 years with bolt on parts

i'll still have my GT and kingswood in the garage though
I agree that the mid-term future looks set to be dominated by EVs. However, once vehicles become autonomous and driving is slowly phased out for autonomous vehicles, I think we're doomed in terms of there being any sort of enthusiasm. We'll only fawn over the cars of yesteryear at that point.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-05-2019, 08:24 PM   #35
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I agree that the mid-term future looks set to be dominated by EVs. However, once vehicles become autonomous and driving is slowly phased out for autonomous vehicles, I think we're doomed in terms of there being any sort of enthusiasm. We'll only fawn over the cars of yesteryear at that point.
You will still be allowed to drive for a while yet, but you will have to pay a large premium for insurance.
kmav23 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2019, 09:12 PM   #36
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even if driving on public roads was eventually banned, there will always be someone making drive-able vehicles and a place to drive them. If the demand is there, some entrepreneur will make the most of it. Even if oil reserves were getting low and stupidly expensive, someone will make electric or alternative fuel drive-able vehicles.

I could see the demand for what we know as vehicles dying off in the future, but that would be a long time off. People who are born 50+ years from now will grow up in an era of autonomous vehicles and will not know anything else. As these people grow up I can see their interest in an ancient concept being non existent.
For every member on this forum as of today, I think we will always be able to drive in some way.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2019, 09:27 PM   #37
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

Motor racing isn't about to die out, that's for sure.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2019, 11:59 PM   #38
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Even if driving on public roads was eventually banned, there will always be someone making drive-able vehicles and a place to drive them. If the demand is there, some entrepreneur will make the most of it. Even if oil reserves were getting low and stupidly expensive, someone will make electric or alternative fuel drive-able vehicles.

I could see the demand for what we know as vehicles dying off in the future, but that would be a long time off. People who are born 50+ years from now will grow up in an era of autonomous vehicles and will not know anything else. As these people grow up I can see their interest in an ancient concept being non existent.
For every member on this forum as of today, I think we will always be able to drive in some way.
Today generation does not know the great feeling of horse and carriages.

Vinyl music, tapes and evet CDS.

Even buying itune songs is old school.

All they know is music streaming spotify etc
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 AM   #39
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmav23 View Post
Today generation does not know the great feeling of horse and carriages.

Vinyl music, tapes and evet CDS.

Even buying itune songs is old school.

All they know is music streaming spotify etc
I love old school, but always keep up with the latest tech as well. Music streaming (Spotify) is the best thing since the original Napster.

I had cassettes as a real youngster, CDs and certainly remember vinyl, as that's all my mum played.

I've always loved the internet era of music. Pre iPods, just burning music onto CDs was great. These days the young lads I work with wouldn't even use an iPod as a paper weight.

Times, they are a changin'!
Old 02-05-2019, 01:49 AM   #40
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
Motor racing isn't about to die out, that's for sure.
Horse racing is still a thing, so motorsport still be as well.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:58 AM   #41
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I love old school, but always keep up with the latest tech as well. Music streaming (Spotify) is the best thing since the original Napster.

I had cassettes as a real youngster, CDs and certainly remember vinyl, as that's all my mum played.

I've always loved the internet era of music. Pre iPods, just burning music onto CDs was great. These days the young lads I work with wouldn't even use an iPod as a paper weight.

Times, they are a changin'!
In the future electric cars will be replaced by something else and people will complain that kids will miss out on the felling of instant torque of electric cars etc...
Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 AM   #42
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd say it's been dying since cars have been getting more complicated.
Less and less modifications you can do yourself unless you own an old car.

The new cars people are buying they're mostly buying with an eye to resell, so boring specs, boring colours, because there might be less buyers for something a little different, and so the manufacturers stop making anything a little different.

Dodge are an exception, they've cornered the niche, but they're not available here, and if they ever do start selling Challengers and the like, I bet we won't get the full range of options they get in the US, they'll come in 3 different colours with 2 engine choices.

I'm becoming more of a fan of Jeep too. Everyone else is making their 4wds comfortable on road SUVs, while Jeep alone are focusing on off road enthusiasts.

But I don't think electric will kill off enthusiasts. We'll see a different breed of enthusiast doing things we've never even considered.

And autonomous? Sure, they're coming, but it'll be decades before they replace every vehicle, and quite honestly, outside of the city it'll take even longer.

If I want to go visit my mate on his sheep station outside town how is an autonomous vehicle going to cope? How is it going to explore his 40,000+ acres?

Maybe one day you'll only be allowed to use a self drive vehicle on private property and hop in your autonomous to go to town, but I reckon we'll all be long gone by then.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #43
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
You will still be allowed to drive for a while yet, but you will have to pay a large premium for insurance.
Rubbish at or the near future. maybe in 30years when self driving ev have satisfied the actuaries.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #44
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Rubbish at or the near future. maybe in 30years when self driving ev have satisfied the actuaries.
Premiums will be affected by the technology already available in a Tesla and other car brands in the future.

- It can track where your car is at any time
- Speed history
- Cameras inside and outside of the car
- black box data to be reviewed in car crash to see your driving actions.
- cars will be almost impossible to steal as the owner will be alerted, the car tracked and you be filmed by the cars camera.
- It can restrict who drives at what speed and where e.g teenagers
Old 02-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #45
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The tech installed in these vehicles will be defeated, for whatever purpose, almost as soon as it comes on line.

Volvo were looking for a solution for the detection of kangaroos in western QLD, were here two years and spent 450Mill and went home after all failed.

Yes and testing of automated cars is going on in QLD presently and the Proff in charge admitted on radio yesterday afternoon that autonomous cars are expected to reduce the road toll by 200 per year over the next twenty years. Only being tested in Brisbane not in rural roads. It seems the tech they are using is defeated by the sun in QLD.

Considering the growth in vehicles on the road, the road toll will remain about the same percentage of deaths it is now.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-05-2019, 02:40 PM   #46
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Premiums will be affected by the technology already available in a Tesla and other car brands in the future.

- Speed history
- cars will be almost impossible to steal as the owner will be alerted, the car tracked and you be filmed by the cars camera.
The same way that hackers can manipulate almost anything electronic today tells me that there will be a large market for hacking your possible car of the future.

Before electronic tracking came along Trucks had Kienzle tachograph's.

A spokesman from Kienzle said that they could make them Bombproof and fireproof, but couldn't make them Driverproof
Old 02-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #47
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, some years back a person in the Riverina told me all about how the tachographs could be defeated...

As to autonomous cars, would I ride in a road vehicle that could lock me in and take me somewhere I did not want to go - or limit my travel as a form of censure? Absolutely not!
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2019, 06:55 PM   #48
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

- Speed history

Civil rights campaigners and privacy laws might be a sticking point to these new features you mention.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2019, 09:49 PM   #49
hayseed

Quote:
My father in Law is a farmer. & his 4 wheel Bike has ( I think) 4 different keys. Each one has a different power setting. If the grandkids want a ride he puts #1 in & it wont go much faster than walking speed.
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #50
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
The same way that hackers can manipulate almost anything electronic today tells me that there will be a large market for hacking your possible car of the future.

Before electronic tracking came along Trucks had Kienzle tachograph's.

A spokesman from Kienzle said that they could make them Bombproof and fireproof, but couldn't make them Driverproof
People trying to hack wont stop technology advancing, people still use computers , smartphones, internet banking and credit cards.

Security will improve.

Rewards are greater then risk
Old 03-05-2019, 02:19 PM   #51
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Civil rights campaigners and privacy laws might be a sticking point to these new features you mention.
The vast majority just want cheaper, convenience and better technology.

The masses dont understand they have already revealed everything via their smartphones and computer usage.
Old 03-05-2019, 04:31 PM   #52
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
The vast majority just want cheaper, convenience and better technology.

The masses dont understand they have already revealed everything via their smartphones and computer usage.

Maybe for some but a lot of people are wise & smarter than what you think.
Old 03-05-2019, 05:17 PM   #53
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
People trying to hack wont stop technology advancing, people still use computers , smartphones, internet banking and credit cards.

Security will improve.

Rewards are greater then risk
They're not trying, they seem to have done it many times.

A very quick look on Google gives you this.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/23/tesla...etition-crack/
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...control-brakes
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/03/chin...ing-lanes.html
https://www.zdnet.com/article/tesla-...n2own-contest/
Old 03-05-2019, 11:25 PM   #54
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Maybe for some but a lot of people are wise & smarter than what you think.
we don´t really have a choice unless you want to live off the grid.

Opal cards, internet baking, credit cards, e Health etc..

cameras with facial recognition etc is already out...

the masses are trying to figure out how to pay the next bills.
Old 03-05-2019, 11:29 PM   #55
kmav23
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Hackers try to hack banks, NASA, defence departments, utilities, nuclear power plants, missile systems etc going on for decades, just part of technology.

TEsla has over the air updates for security patches like Windows, android, apple and all other computer systems.
Old 04-05-2019, 12:11 AM   #56
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well being a tech guy (I'm a propeller head) it's quite funny my car (MY03 WRX) is relatively low tech. And that's why I like it really. None of this **** intervening with driving.

Though it would be nice to be dropped off and picked up at the pub That alone would solve a decent problem in our society.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-05-2019, 12:33 AM   #57
Itsme
Experienced Member

kmav23, you did not understand my first response to you but does not matter.
Cheers.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-05-2019, 01:00 AM   #58
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's a very interesting time right now. There's the promise of a paradigm shift in technology that could free motoring - the prospect of zero-cost power and extremely low maintenance. But it is married to George Orwell '1984' style surveillance and is not secure.

Wheras if you look back, there was fuel to pay for, maintenance could be constant tuning, but it was fun, had freedom, fewer rules and less intrusion. So I sit on the fence, look backward, look forward. The sheer scale of price rises of some pretty mundane machinery from the 70's and 80's shows you people are valuing the old nostalgic feeling of freedom.

The ultimate would be the zero-cost electric drivetrain with the connectivity of a 60 series Landcruiser (ie, none) and all of the freedom it could give you. Maybe electric conversions of classics will be the answer.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:57 AM   #59
bathurst-racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
I'm in my 60's heading down the hill, so to speak. So it doesn't bother me either way.
From my perspective I have my two cars for the use of, when they take my license is when I will give them up. My ute is for towing & the sedan is for pottering around. For my driving future I'll never buy or use an electric kettle... sorry... car.
My old man was born in 1903, he saw the horse go, I suppose that was handy otherwise we'd be up to our armpits in horse dung.
Times change and they will, however I think I'll be able to stick with the cars I have and they will see me out.
I will be 60 in a couple of months. Last Saturday I left home at 4am and towed my FG XR6 Turbo to Sydney Dragway for a test and tune. I ran 11.74 at 128 mph. I then towed the car home to Bathurst getting there about 9.30 pm.My aim for next state championship round is to break 130 mph at the top end.
I understand people who see there cars as part of their life but not a huge part. I use my cars to keep my mind focused and the rest of me physically fit and moving. I am writing this at 3.48 am while at work and most of the night I have been researching FG Falcon suspension parts.
Cars and drag racing keep me engaged with the community and mentally active. If I reach 70 and have to hitch my car trailer to an autonomous vehicle to get to the strip I'd be surprised. I do think that the biggest threat to our enthusiastic motoring is not technology but the green movement with their insidious climate change mantra which is nothing to do with the environment but a method to redistribute wealth.
bathurst-racer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2019, 11:32 AM   #60
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst-racer View Post
I do think that the biggest threat to our enthusiastic motoring is not technology but the green movement with their insidious climate change mantra which is nothing to do with the environment but a method to redistribute wealth.
Well put..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post