Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-06-2006, 03:49 PM   #1
GTI
Starter Motor

Default [Question]Leaving the car for a few weeks

Hi ppl

I have an LS Focus M/T, and in a few weeks time i am planning to go overseas for around 2-3 weeks. Obviously i'm going to leave the car, and i'm afraid i won't find anyone to take care of it while i'm gone.

Is there any precautionary measures that i should take before i leave so that when i come back, the car will start and function without problems?

Thanks in advance.

GTI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 04:15 PM   #2
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

should be fine if it's only for that period, if you're really worried i can take care of it for you :P
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2006, 06:42 PM   #3
silverfocusstar
mmmm...chocolate...

LOL! Garage it and/or ask a trusted friend to start the engine prolly once a week.

thats what we did for a friends territory.

but nothing comes as close as the focus!
silverfocusstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
BlackLS

The car will be fine sitting there for 2 weeks.

Perhaps leave it with a low tank of petrol and fill up the tank and tyres when you get back.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 06:23 PM   #5
amlohac

Its a new car, you'll be fine. Do what BlackLS said. And if its possible garage it, dont leave it out in the weather and cold etc.
amlohac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #6
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
The car will be fine sitting there for 2 weeks.

Perhaps leave it with a low tank of petrol and fill up the tank and tyres when you get back.
Hmm... I was always told to fill up the tank if you were gonna leave it for a few weeks.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #7
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Fuel only has a certain shelf life, apparently losing octane rating the longer it just sits there doing nothing.
So id suggest leaving only a little bit of fuel in it, so that when you get back from holidays, give it 30 bucks of ultimate or something to really give it a freshen up.

Nothing else should be an issue with such a short leave, if it were a few months id say change the oil before driving it but meh, not for only 2-3 weeks away.

One thing to mention though is, when you do get back, before driving it, give it a few minutes to warm up and get that oil pumping around the engine again, as many of the components wouldnt have seen oil for 3 weeks :P
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 04:50 AM   #8
GTI
Starter Motor

right, will take them into consideration, thx guys
GTI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2006, 04:56 PM   #9
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Bah dont even worry about it, i left my car sitting for 7 weeks and had it started once a week if that no problems at all.