Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #91
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Towing a Caravan - Mechanical strain etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Four View Post
The 10% is an advisory that varies from country to country. Europe is typically 5%. I tow my 2T boat with 110kg on the ball and it's fine.
There is no legal minimum ball load only maximum. So you can rebalance the van to get your 80kg ball load and be ok.

Have you ever towed a caravan that light on the ball? very dangerous and a boat trailer is very different, have a look how further back trailer boat wheels are compared to caravan wheels position.
Enough said.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 07:55 PM   #92
Chapter Four

The boat I have is a trailerable yacht, so wheels are in the middle. Trailerable yachts actually have an exemption on rear overhang, the wheels are that far forward.
I've been up and down the east coast several times without any stability issues. So this talk of 10% minimum is a crock in my opinion, and there is no legal requirement for it either.
Chapter Four is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 07:56 PM   #93
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Have you ever towed a caravan that light on the ball? very dangerous and a boat trailer is very different, have a look how further back trailer boat wheels are compared to caravan wheels position.
Enough said.
Yeah I don't understand it at all but that's what I was told. Massive liability if things go wrong despite the test being totally within braked weight.

Stupid thing is i've towed vans on test drives and was simple as. No issue at all.

Yet I'm not allowed to and I'm not selling it so I guess no Caravan.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 08:01 PM   #94
Chapter Four

MT, get the facts from your state roads authority, not the dealer. Dealer is covering his own liability by demanding 10% minimum.
Chapter Four is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #95
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Four View Post
MT, get the facts from your state roads authority, not the dealer. Dealer is covering his own liability by demanding 10% minimum.
Ok thank you. I will as it's frustrating as the light van I test drove was fine, stable as and just cruised at 80klms on highway.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #96
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are worried about excessive ball weight fit a weight distribution kit.How big is the van and did said dealer tell you what the ball weight is
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #97
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
If you are worried about excessive ball weight fit a weight distribution kit.How big is the van and did said dealer tell you what the ball weight is
VW says it's 80 (or maybe) 90 Kgs.

I'm not worried as the R36 so stiff suspension it was barely noticable as Caravan (1400kgs) even was there unless braking down hill. (still fine just needed to more space and be cautious)

Again, told ball weight illegal and I don't want to hurt anyone due to my lack of knowledge in towing.

Thanks all.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #98
MercuryT
Banned

TassieF100.

Caravan weight 1450. Only a small Rayco.

Tow ball weight 150.
Old 02-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #99
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As others have said, check the regs in your state.
10% is usually the maximumrecommended, with a range of 5~10%.
Provided the suspension and towhitch are up to it, I prefer to overload the hitch, but only for extremely big loads.
How much does your Passat weigh? If the van is under 75%, AND has good electric brakes, then you could rebalance it down to 80kg which would still be above 5%.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2020, 09:14 PM   #100
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
As others have said, check the regs in your state.
10% is usually the maximumrecommended, with a range of 5~10%.
Provided the suspension and towhitch are up to it, I prefer to overload the hitch, but only for extremely big loads.
How much does your Passat weigh? If the van is under 75%, AND has good electric brakes, then you could rebalance it down to 80kg which would still be above 5%.
Psssat about 1800kgs but has a higher towing rating than lower models due to it being the top.

Ok cool I'll look further into it. The bloody VW Tiguan has a higher rated towball weight and nowhere near as good for towing.

Maybe I'm being overly cautious just never heard of this tow ball weight etc which basically ruins it's ability to tow anything (despite a pretty high braked capacity at 2200kg)
Old 02-08-2020, 10:30 PM   #101
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
VW says it's 80 (or maybe) 90 Kgs.

I'm not worried as the R36 so stiff suspension it was barely noticable as Caravan (1400kgs) even was there unless braking down hill. (still fine just needed to more space and be cautious)

Again, told ball weight illegal and I don't want to hurt anyone due to my lack of knowledge in towing.

Thanks all.

Go talk to a tow bar manufacturer such as Hayman Reese or any other local one in your area as they may be able to fit an aftermarket one with a higher tow ball rating.
Worth a try.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:40 PM   #102
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Go talk to a tow bar manufacturer such as Hayman Reese or any other local one in your area as they may be able to fit an aftermarket one with a higher tow ball rating.
Worth a try.
tow ball rating doesn't override the manufacturer limits. aftermarket tow kits do often have their own ratings, but the ones that are legal are the LOWER of the two (manufacturer v aftermarket).
Old 02-08-2020, 11:04 PM   #103
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Worth a try.
Mine is Haymen Reece mate.

It's top quality and previous owner towed a big boat no worries.

It's just this stupid tiny tow ball weight issue that's cropped up and it's VW stipulated not HR.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:22 AM   #104
prydey
Rob

Quote:

It's just this stupid tiny tow ball weight issue that's cropped up and it's VW stipulated not HR.
If the manufacturer has stipulated a low ball weight maximum rating then it probably means the rear suspension/axle can't handle the load or the way the towbar is mounted to the car can't handle the load. Given it has a tow rating of over 2t (if i read correctly earlier in the thread) then it probably has something to do with the rear axle load rating. Unfortunately, unless VW offer some kind of 'upgrade' in this regard, then you are stuck with looking for a van that meets this rating.

Your best bet is to look at euro vans. most euro vans are designed to work with a much lighter ball weight. also check your owners manual as well as it wouldn't surprise me if VW also stipulate that a weight distribution hitch is used. This just spreads some of the load to the front axle and a bit back to the van axle.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:26 AM   #105
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
tow ball rating doesn't override the manufacturer limits. aftermarket tow kits do often have their own ratings, but the ones that are legal are the LOWER of the two (manufacturer v aftermarket).

Been done before with other vehicles so I suggest you do your home work.
I'm not saying they will do all vehicles but worth asking.
Cheers
Old 03-08-2020, 12:27 AM   #106
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Just trying to offer a solution.
Cheers
Old 03-08-2020, 12:31 AM   #107
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Been done before with other vehicles so I suggest you do your home work.
I'm not saying they will do all vehicles but worth asking.
Cheers
It will only work if the towbar fitted has a lower rating than that specified in the owners handbook or listed by the manufacturer. The manufacturers rating can't be overridden by fitting a towbar with a higher rating, unless there is a manufacturer approved upgrade available.
Old 03-08-2020, 12:53 AM   #108
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Quote:
It will only work if the towbar fitted has a lower rating than that specified in the owners handbook or listed by the manufacturer. The manufacturers rating can't be overridden by fitting a towbar with a higher rating, unless there is a manufacturer approved upgrade available.
i agree, the cars manufacturers tow rating supersedes a tow bar rating.
you can build a towbar that can tow 4t, but if the cars tow spec is lower, the car rating is the guide line number.

also tyres and rims haven,t been discussed(i think). and low profile tyres on aluminum rim aren't a good towing match, but that said, if they fall within spec. then good.
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2020, 01:02 AM   #109
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are prepared to run the very minimal risk of something going wrong the go would be to hook the caravan on and see how the level looks.Maybe measure the height of the towbar before and after.Anywhere up to 50mm difference would be quite acceptable.Don’t know what the legalities are if you are caught out with too much tow ball weight,but no one is going to check it if the caravan and towbar are level.If you use load levellers the towbar will be the same height loaded or unloaded
Old 03-08-2020, 07:52 PM   #110
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
waste of time wdh doesn't alter tow ball weight.
dunga is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 07:57 PM   #111
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you are prepared to run the very minimal risk of something going wrong the go would be to hook the caravan on and see how the level looks.Maybe measure the height of the towbar before and after.Anywhere up to 50mm difference would be quite acceptable.Don’t know what the legalities are if you are caught out with too much tow ball weight,but no one is going to check it if the caravan and towbar are level.If you use load levellers the towbar will be the same height loaded or unloaded
Only ones that will check is the crash investigators and the insurance company. Buy a suitable car or a European caravan.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:16 PM   #112
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunga View Post
waste of time wdh doesn't alter tow ball weight.
Of course it does,otherwise why use them
Old 03-08-2020, 08:17 PM   #113
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
go and do some research.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:34 PM   #114
prydey
Rob

Quote:
They restore weight to the front axle. That is their primary purpose. By doing so it also takes some weight off the rear axle and puts a little more on the van axle.

Ball weight remains the same.

They are not a solution to an overloaded rear axle and should only be tensioned to restore around 50% of the lost weight from the front axle.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:04 PM   #115
dunga
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From cars guide 8 towing myths.

A weight distribution hitch (WDH) is a wonderful device which does exactly what its name implies. Its powerful leveraging effect provides a better distribution of weight across all axles resulting in a level ride height for tow vehicle and trailer, which is particularly important in maintaining effective steering and front wheel braking in the tow vehicle. However, just because a WDH’s leveraging effect (often compared to raising the long handles of a wheelbarrow) allows this ride levelling to occur, the amount of weight on the tow-ball prior to fitting the WDH does not change.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #116
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
That is what I was referring to hence the reason my comment to MercuryT in doing an inquiry.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2020, 10:42 PM   #117
MercuryT
Banned

Told today by Caravan place as "no problem at all" and R36 tow a small van easily. Tow ball weight irrelevant at such low levels of weight (1400kgs braked)

In fact the low hard suspension a bonus as less rocking on the the caravan as it's hard as and when attached a van it barely squated at all. Maybe a cm or so.

Yet Euro tow ball weights regularly set ridiculously low.

So yeah.....do what others do or adhere strictly to stupid limits (it used to tow a 2 tonne boat no worries)
Old 03-08-2020, 10:55 PM   #118
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Told today by Caravan place as "no problem at all" and R36 tow a small van easily. Tow ball weight irrelevant at such low levels of weight (1400kgs braked)

In fact the low hard suspension a bonus as less rocking on the the caravan as it's hard as and when attached a van it barely squated at all. Maybe a cm or so.

So yeah.....do what others do or adhere strictly to stupid limits (it used to tow a 2 tonne boat no worries)
Not good advice from the caravan salesperson. Sounds like one of these guys that just wants a sale.

Euro ball weights are lower but often they are often used in conjunction with an anti sway device, if the van doesn't have one incorporated.

There are lots of small Euro vans out there that will suit you AND keep you legal.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:05 PM   #119
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Tell him to put that in writing from company letter, sign the document and hand it to you.... let me guess he won't do that!

Cheers.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:26 PM   #120
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:

There are lots of small Euro vans out there that will suit you AND keep you legal.
How small?

Weigh 750kgs?

Cant say I've seen many (if ever)