Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2013, 01:54 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Queensland Run an Amber Light $330+3 Demerit Points. WTF!!!!!

DRIVERS who run amber lights and blast music from their vehicles could be facing tough penalties as police crack down on traffic offences.

South Eastern Police Regional Traffic Co-ordinator Inspector Karen Shaw said officers would be targeting the Fatal Five - inattention, speeding, drink-driving, not wearing a seatbelt and driving while tired - in a bid to lower the region's road toll.

"The start of the new year gives us the chance to think about what personal driving behaviours we can correct or improve, such as staying calm and preparing for your journey," she said.

"We still have too many people dying on our roads, and we make no apologies for issuing motorists with enforcement action as a result of them not stopping to think about their behaviour."

The warnings follow tweets posted by the Queensland Police Service reminding motorists of a range of traffic offences.

"Patience is a virtue. Driving through a yellow light costs you the same as driving through a red one. $330+3 points," they posted.

While 1763 people were fined in Queensland for infringements related to failing to stop at an amber traffic light in the 2011-12 financial year, the Twitter post was met with confusion from many drivers who were unaware such a law existed.

Ms Shaw said driving through an orange light had long been a traffic offence, and motorists were required to stop when it was safe to do so.

"People think it's all right to go when it is orange, but they do need to take all necessary actions to stop," she said.

The Queensland Police Service also sparked conversation on Facebook, when they reminded drivers that driving with excessively loud music could lead to a $175 fine.

Again, responses showed many were unaware of the law, despite 3534 Queenslanders being fined in the past financial year for incidents relating to excessive noise in a vehicle.

Ms Shaw said speed and drink-driving remained the biggest dangers to road users.

"We've had a multiple fatality crash on the M1 at Coomera recently, and something as significant as that has still not slowed the motoring public down, and we are still recording phenomenally high speeds on the motorway," she said.

"In the last two days alone, we have recorded almost 100 drink-drivers in the southeastern region.

"It's frightening that so many people are willing to take that risk to themselves and others."

In one incident, a woman recorded a blood-alcohol level of 0.278, more than five times the legal limit.

The 49-year-old was pulled over by police at Banora Point in northern NSW. She was charged with high-range drink-driving and had her licence confiscated.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226546775138

Last edited by csv8; 03-01-2013 at 01:55 AM. Reason: add link
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:05 AM   #2
Tysonv48
Fairlane Ute

Default Re: Queensland Run an Amber Light $330+3 Demerit Points. WTF!!!!!

Excesive loud music dosn't surprise me I always through it had to below the db that the exhaust was.
Tysonv48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:29 AM   #3
F6E

How many road fatalities could be attributed to running Amber lights ?

I dont know the answer but a dumb *** guess would be ...ZERO ?

After my Xmas 6500km jaunt thru 4 states and one territory one thing has become glaringly obvious to me...

Qld road rules and enforcement tactics (hidden speed cameras) are there to serve one purpose - REVENUE

NSW - Highly visable speed cameras (even the "hidden" mobile ones give you a warning !) and police presence are aimed at slowing you down THERE & THEN, not 2 weeks later when u get a happy snap in the mail

.2c

current rides.....
F6E - Cooler, Cat, CAI, Flash, 20's, SSL's - 317 rwkw : 9/10
BFII - Workhorse yoot : 6/10

past bitches of note.....
E60 M5 - V10 excess, the pinacle : 11/10
VE SSV - 102000 trouble free Kms : 9/10
VZ Cross8 - V8 AWD, great allrounder. : 8/10
BA XR8 - Fat & Slow : 3/10
XH XR6 - 8/10
XG S - 7.5/10
F6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Amber light means stop if safe to do so, I don't have a problrm with that.

What I do have a problem with, is how one might consider the term 'safe' in that statement.
We could discuss at length following distances, braking etc, etc, but from experience this rule can be fraught with disaster.

One of the few unwritten things I was taught whilst learning to drive, was to always check the rear vision mirror for following vehicles before stopping, especially suddenly.

Given that a lot of people tend to tailgate other vehicles, I can see there possibly being a few more additions to the road toll......

Add in other viariables such as dodgy tyres, poor road conditions, wet or slippery weather, and the mind boggles.

Having said all this, a number of years ago I was unfortunate enough to rear end a small car at a set of lights that had pulled up quite sharply.
Some of the factors I mentioned were involved, including my momentary inattention being distracted while trying to change lanes.

Obviously there is no excuse, but the point I'd like to make, is that I think this rule enforcement may end up killing people trying not to cop the fine.

I just hope the money they collect from these fines goes to a good home.

Ed
Old 03-01-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last fine i got was just short of 2 months after the offense. More cop cars on the roads would be much more effective than hiding in bushes nothing is better than a visual detterent. OT I think the fine is over the top being exactly the same as the red light camera offense but the police in my experience are relaxed with this law which is good
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #6
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about fines for people who drive with head phones in their ears. Surely this is just as bad as listening to loud music, as it would be more likely they can not hear horns or sirens.

I think they have bigger fish to fry with cutting the road toll down by vehicle safety. The number of "sensible" family cars with bald tyres, cactus shocks etc on the road is astounding. These all affect how the car does its most important duties in an emergency, however I am sure the police will have more interest in a modified car, which ticks all the boxes when it comes to safety.
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think they have bigger fish to fry with cutting the road toll down by vehicle safety. The number of "sensible" family cars with bald tyres, cactus shocks etc on the road is astounding. These all affect how the car does its most important duties in an emergency, however I am sure the police will have more interest in a modified car, which ticks all the boxes when it comes to safety.[/QUOTE]

last year when waiting outside a real estate office (one of the big Australia wide ones) i noticed the tyres on sales car were both bald as badgers so looked at other side and two other cars there and out of 12 tyres there were 8 bald with 3 having the steele hanging out from bad camber were,and all this on 2 year old cars, so i went inside and told the front desk they were driving dangerous cars,after first been embarrassed and having a go at me,one rang big tyres place to book them in after i said they should be ashamed of themselves.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like it has been amended?
The reprint is March 2011...

Seems like YOU MUST STOP on a yellow.
I do recall that if you couldnt safely stop you could drive through.
Quote:
57 Stopping for a yellow traffic light or arrow
(1) A driver who is approaching, or at, traffic lights showing a
yellow traffic light—
(a) must stop—
(i) if there is a stop line at or near the traffic lights and
the driver can stop safely before reaching the stop
line—as near as practicable to, and before
reaching, the stop line; or
(ii) if there is no stop line at or near the traffic lights
and the driver can stop safely before reaching the
traffic lights—as near as practicable to, and before
reaching, the nearest traffic lights; or
(iii) if the traffic lights are at an intersection and the
driver can not stop safely under subparagraph (i) or
(ii), but can stop safely before entering the
intersection—before entering the intersection; and
(b) must not proceed until the traffic lights—
(i) change to green or flashing yellow; or
(ii) show no traffic light.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute View Post
One of the few unwritten things I was taught whilst learning to drive, was to always check the rear vision mirror for following vehicles before stopping, especially suddenly.
I can understand your checking the rear view mirror at times but in the event of emergency stopping(braking) checking a mirror is the last priority as I will be concentrating on avoiding a collision/accident.
Cars should not tail gate for that very reason.

Amber light should be treated as a red light if possible.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try and stop safely when it turns yellow in a HR truck and above...

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While im all for drivers being accountable for their actions ......
Is it the motorists fault that the government couldnt run a chook raffle and make money ...
Why should we as motorists help contribute to bad government money management and fund those who cant run the show and blatantly waste peoples money,then to throw the dagger in , pay for them for the term of their life .....
Making better drivers isnt slappin them with fines all the time, its teaching them properly in the first place
Big picture, how can we fund previos government scr*w ups like beattie and bligh who stuffed the state,if we cant shaft the little people

Theres been so many campaigns to decrease the death toll and get younger drivers properly trained in safer more modern cars,but we all know thats not how to feed the revenue machine .......
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6E View Post
How many road fatalities could be attributed to running Amber lights ?

I dont know the answer but a dumb *** guess would be ...ZERO ?
I think it would be more than zero. Seen several accidents due to someone running an amber. Most people seem to think amber means go faster so you can beat the red, it means stop unless unsafe to do so. The only problem I have with the enforcement is that it's a judgement call by an officer. Perhaps the driver felt it was safer to proceed

There was a thread just under this one labelled - "2 Cars Colliding at an amber light (car turning right into oncoming traffic)"
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A driver must stop at an amber light provided the vehicle behind can stop safely and it's driver is watching the road and other vehicles rather than concentrating on his speedo.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 10:33 AM   #14
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Sounds like it has been amended?
The reprint is March 2011...

Seems like YOU MUST STOP on a yellow.
I do recall that if you couldnt safely stop you could drive through.
it still says if its safe to do so, thats why there is (i),(ii),(iii) subnotes underneath what you highlighted which say if the driver can stop safely before the stop line or traffic lights.

I dont get what the big deal is anyway, if you can stop then stop its not that hard

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

How can anyone have an accident on running a late amber ? It has not turned red ( yet ) and no other lights will turn green for around 3 seconds after that , and if you saw a car in front of you would you drive into intersection ? As for myself I don't run lights late , and actually slow a little as I'm part bikey ,but an infringement ....come on ...if they don't have a line or don't have the amber flash method ( like Europe )then it has the police officers discretion written all over it ....our govco sucks
Old 03-01-2013, 10:40 AM   #16
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz View Post
it still says if its safe to do so, thats why there is (i),(ii),(iii) subnotes underneath what you highlighted which say if the driver can stop safely before the stop line or traffic lights.

I dont get what the big deal is anyway, if you can stop then stop its not that hard
As I stated above, yes you may be able to stop but the vehicle behind you may not as efficiently as you.

Also I suspect this will set off a whole raft off accidents where super hero do-gooders who are already compressing a line of traffic by travelling below the speed limit will brake heavily close to the intersection triggering a pileup.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #17
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I lived in Sydney for 30 odd years and now am in QLD. I am amazed and disgusted at the contempt QLD drivers have for amber lights. Their actions are far worse than those of their NSW counterparts.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #18
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

I had a small vehicle perform a lane change in front of me, then they performed an emergency stop as the lights turned amber.

What does it matter you say?

I was traveling in a loaded semi at the time and they left me no chance in hell of stopping.
Thankfully the left lane was unoccupied as i utilized it to maneuver around said car, although the boor bloke standing at he crossing needed new undrware as he thought i was going to hit him.

Over zealous law enforcement pertaining to little things will lead to such scenarios playing out more often due to fear of a fine.
I feel the govt has lost sight of their purpose
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #19
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like ·

RACQ (Official) xxxx, RACQ is always advocating for motorists. An amber light works as a warning system that it's about to turn red. If a motorist is seen to be speeding up to "run" the light, then that is illegal. Whilst we continue to fight for motorists, the best way to have your comments about revenue raising heard is to contact your State MP, they are the people who make legislation.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #20
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

The rule hasn't change but maybe the fine has. My main concern is now they have put out a statement, they'll be looking to enforce them more. And just like hoon laws it's at their discretion. The loud stereo has always been a rule, I'm supprized by the amount of people that don't know this. I hope they enforce this as I like listen to my music in the car with out hearing 'doof,doof,doof'.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:17 AM   #21
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
As I stated above, yes you may be able to stop but the vehicle behind you may not as efficiently as you.

Also I suspect this will set off a whole raft off accidents where super hero do-gooders who are already compressing a line of traffic by travelling below the speed limit will brake heavily close to the intersection triggering a pileup.
Agreed, what gets me is that these news articles never state "unless the driver cannot stop safely before the stop line" or words to that effect, as well as mention the hazards of braking suddenly when the lights change to amber. Never do they write this, which then makes readers think they are not allowed to enter the intersection on an amber at all. Hence the probable increase in accidents as you mention.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

What a stupid bloody joke of a rule....... yellow means red? Please. I can just see those cash registers rolling in the dollars.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #23
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nothing new here - that rule has been in for years and the monetary penalty has been the same as running a red light. It's quite simple when you read the legislation, once the light turns amber you are required to stop provided it is safe to do so.

As an exercise, stand on a footpath and observe a set of traffic lights. Now watch the idiots flooring the accelerator on an amber and entering the intersection way too fast and usually after the light has turned to red. These are the idiots for whom the legislation is intended.

I for one am all for it.

Cheers,

Russ
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
Try and stop safely when it turns yellow in a HR truck and above...
You don't need to - that's the point. Safely. If by trying to stop you introduce more hazard than safety, then you continue through the amber. I got pinged a few years ago for going through an amber as I made no attempt to stop (in reality was distracted by a pretty girl). No I tap the brakes and then proceed through (that way any following policeman can see that I at least thought about stopping and it also warns the driver behind me that I may actually stop).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #25
Agent86
Not so low, not so slow.

Jc, see my scenario to glean what goose was aluding too.
Create fear in the average jo and josie, and you create a larger issue when mixing with larger traffic.
Agent86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #26
4stanger