Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 20-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #1
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Default AUIII XR8 or BA XR8?

I'm in the process of looking for a car to buy and want a v8 Ford again.

I'm looking in a price range of somewhere around 10-15k, I could potentially stretch a little more than 15k but don't particularly want to.

A couple of cars I have come across:

AU3 XR8, leather interior, 140kms, priced at around $11,500

Compare this with a BA XR8, similar kms, no leather though at around $13-14k.

I know the BA XR8 has more power, but for some reason I'm of the belief the AU will be the better car to own.

Any thoughts?

Old 20-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #2
THE SLUG
REAL 4X4'S RATTLE

Default Re: AUIII XR8 or BA XR8?

I personally would take the BA. It's got more power, **possibly** more features, better resale and it looks cooler

THE SLUG - 1985 Toyota 4Runner
2.8L Turbo, 2.5" exhaust, 5" lift, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZs, lots of stickers

THE DAILY - 2006 BFII XR6T
Process West plenum, intercooler, intake kit, and throttle body relocation, 80lb injectors, 4" dump, twin 2.5" X-Force exhaust, high flow cat, ZF tune, 330rwkw @ 15 psi, 20" staggered MC Racing Simmons copies

THE TOY - 2000 AU Falcon
4.0L, 2.5" straight pipe, T5, BA brakes, spool, stripped out, slammed
Old 20-12-2011, 10:41 PM   #3
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the AU would be my choice..built by tickford and it shows in the way they handle..
Old 20-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
Falcman0o7
Banned

Hmmm...I battle about to erupt? LOL!

IMO i don't know. I have a AU2 XR8 and it's a beautiful car. I've never drove a BA XR8 so i can't give an opinion on that but i would think the AU to be cooler.
The last of the tickfords and quad lights, and the last of the little 5.0 windsor.
Also the windsor is alot smaller than that big 5.4 quad cam donk thus the AU being lighter up front not to mention easier and cheaper to repair ect.
The 5.0 in the series 2-3 are handbuilt to with PRIDE by some guy at tickford. More coolness lol

Just my 2 cents
Old 20-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
Paxton
Cobblers!

I'd pick the AU. The AUs were better built, with hand built engines, and the one you're looking at has more features.

I'm looking at moving my EF on next year, and an AUII/III 220 is at the top of my list.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Falcman0o7
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD
I'm in the process of looking for a car to buy and want a v8 Ford again.

I'm looking in a price range of somewhere around 10-15k, I could potentially stretch a little more than 15k but don't particularly want to.

A couple of cars I have come across:

AU3 XR8, leather interior, 140kms, priced at around $11,500

Compare this with a BA XR8, similar kms, no leather though at around $13-14k.

I know the BA XR8 has more power, but for some reason I'm of the belief the AU will be the better car to own.

Any thoughts?
GO THE AU! That thing sounds prime!
Old 20-12-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

I owned an AU III Tickford XR8, and i miss it, if the one your looking
at is in good nick, i'd take that..
Seing as it's the last of the series all the flaws ironed out, and the BA
is the first in the B series, usually isn't a good thing..

There's no replacement for displacement!!!

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 20-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

I faced the same dilemma and went for the AUII XR8.

Pick of the litter is the AUIII XR8.

FYI I paid $9100 for an AU II XR8 220kw - sunroof, leather, momo wheel, bodykit, momo t bar, leather, premium sound and premium brakes

Old 20-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #9
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

AU, BA interiors of that age can be horrid, and they are starting to look old.

Take the Au with the leather, better feeling trim...better driving postion etc

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Old 20-12-2011, 10:52 PM   #10
raptorv8
Banned

Ive owned both when they were new and the Au was a better drive
Old 20-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Im just waiting for this place to explode.

I was recently in the search for a new work horse/tow car and was stuck between a BA XR6T and a AU XR8, I made a thread about and eventually it got closed.
Mate, this is no disrespect to BA lovers, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you couldnt pay me enough to go into a BA XR8. A to Z they dont impress me! Ive been in one and had a mate with one. Driven them and all.
The AU's, particulary the III, are an amazing car! Truly amazing! People will tell you black and blue they look like *****, but thats up to you to decide.
AUIII FTW Mate. No questions asked!

And btw, yes on paper the BA has more HP then the AU, but please, dont for 1 second let that make you think they are a quicker car because that couldnt be further from the truth!

Test drive them both, and you will see what Im refering to!
Enjoy buddy and I hope your thread lasts longer then mine!
Old 20-12-2011, 11:02 PM   #12
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Im just waiting for this place to explode.

I was recently in the search for a new work horse/tow car and was stuck between a BA XR6T and a AU XR8, I made a thread about and eventually it got closed.
Mate, this is no disrespect to BA lovers, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you couldnt pay me enough to go into a BA XR8. A to Z they dont impress me! Ive been in one and had a mate with one. Driven them and all.
The AU's, particulary the III, are an amazing car! Truly amazing! People will tell you black and blue they look like *****, but thats up to you to decide.
AUIII FTW Mate. No questions asked!

And btw, yes on paper the BA has more HP then the AU, but please, dont for 1 second let that make you think they are a quicker car because that couldnt be further from the truth!

Test drive them both, and you will see what Im refering to!
Enjoy buddy and I hope your thread lasts longer then mine!
Totally agree, when i was on the hunt for a B series XR8 while i still owned my AU III XR8, i test drove a 5 speed BA XR8 and was very unimpressed, when i jumped back into my AU it felt much much better to drive, and just felt better overall.... BUT.... Should you consider stretching the budget a bit futher to be able to get your hands and a BF variant, you won't be dissapointed. IMO, the BF MkII series is the best of the B series, and worlds better than the AU.

Handling: Bilstein Shocks with King springs all round, Whiteline 27mm front swaybar & 22mm rear adj, upgraded PBR rotors, calipers and braided lines all round with Bendix Ultimate pads.
Go Fast Bits: Herrod C.A.I with K&N 4" pod flter, Herrod Helix spacer, Herrod oil breathers, Tridon 72c thermostat, Herrod 2.5" stainless cat back zorst.
Old 20-12-2011, 11:04 PM   #13
Falcman0o7
Banned

Actually read my thread...there is some good reading in there.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11350680
Old 20-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #14
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunyip04
Totally agree, when i was on the hunt for a B series XR8 while i still owned my AU III XR8, i test drove a 5 speed BA XR8 and was very unimpressed, when i jumped back into my AU it felt much much better to drive, and just felt better overall.... BUT.... Should you consider stretching the budget a bit futher to be able to get your hands and a BF variant, you won't be dissapointed. IMO, the BF MkII series is the best of the B series, and worlds better than the AU.

Agreed that the BFII is probably the best of the B series. But still though, the ZF boxes are a tempting thing, but is it enough to settle for the overweight 5.4L? For me, no. As great as the ZF's are, its not enough to make me settle for one. Give me a 5.0L T5 anyday!
Old 20-12-2011, 11:09 PM   #15
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Actually read my thread...there is some good reading in there.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11350680

Great thread Falcman! Good subject and well done for having it open for this long. There was a few times there it looked a bit shady and was about to get closed.
I made my thoughts in there clear aswel with being respectful inmind. But yes, there are many valid point for both parties in your thread
Old 20-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRYHSV
Agreed that the BFII is probably the best of the B series. But still though, the ZF boxes are a tempting thing, but is it enough to settle for the overweight 5.4L? For me, no. As great as the ZF's are, its not enough to make me settle for one. Give me a 5.0L T5 anyday!
Yeah fair point, but with some cheap sway bars, cat back and a good c.a.i
the BF XR8 is transformed!!! Lol
And meh to the ZF, T56, IWRCMOGTVM!!!

Old 20-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #17
T3man
Banned

Drive a couple of each before you decide.

See you in an AUIII soon ...
Old 20-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #18
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

My opinion is the AU3 XR8 being the clear winner. Better built, better handling, better sounding & better looking. If you are really wanting to compare at least make it fair & put it against a BF, not a BA.

But ultimately, its what makes you happy, drive both & find out which you like more.
Old 20-12-2011, 11:18 PM   #19
RAPID_BA
Banned

The ba xr8 is a runnaway winner. Stock for stock its a choice between a old wheezer that has plenty if low down torque but nothing up top. Or the ba xr8 with acceptable bottom end and heaps of top end. 32 valves and quad cams in a 5.4.
The 5.4 is also far more tunable, 270-300rwkw from a n/a 5.4 is achievable, only a dream for windsor owners.

Powerplant = ba xr8

The ba xr8 is one of the nicest looking fords of all time. The au xr8 looks ok for an au but just can't be compared with the ba on looks.

Looks = ba xr8

The interior of a ba xr8 kills an au xr8s circular dash thing. Far more modern and better seats
U
Interior = ba xr8

The xr8 steers and handles equally to the xr8. The talk about au cars handling well is a myth created by au owners to sell them as the looks detered many.

Handling = ba xr8p

It's a runnaway winner for the xr8. The only place the au wins is cheaper price.

Look I'm not at all saying an au xr8 is no good, its a great car but the ba xr8 is better. Way better.

Think logically would Ford really say let's release a car worse than last years model?

The better comparison with a ba xr8 is the 250kw t3 Tickford car. t3 is A bit behind on power but equal torque but less tunable than the ba.

Last edited by RAPID_BA; 20-12-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Old 20-12-2011, 11:25 PM   #20
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...350680&page=18

Read CAT600's bit about the AU over the B series...

At the end of the day, after you test drive either, its
the one that "feels" better for you imo..

Old 20-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #21
AU Mont
Banned

omg hulk looking for attention again .........
Old 20-12-2011, 11:28 PM   #22
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_BA
The ba xr8 is a runnaway winner. Stock for stock its a choice between a old wheezer that has plenty if low down torque but nothing up top. Or the ba xr8 with acceptable bottom end and heaps of top end. 32 valves and quad cams in a 5.4.
The 5.4 is also far more tunable, 270-300rwkw from a n/a 5.4 is achievable, only a dream for windsor owners.

Powerplant = ba xr8

The ba xr8 is one of the nicest looking fords of all time. The au xr8 looks ok for an au but just can't be compared with the ba on looks.

Looks = ba xr8

The interior of a ba xr8 kills an au xr8s circular dash thing. Far more modern and better seats

Interior = ba xr8

The xr8 steers and handles equally to the xr8. The talk about au cars handling well is a myth created by au owners to sell them as the looks detered many.

Handling = ba xr8p

It's a runnaway winner for the xr8. The only place the au wins is cheaper price.

Look I'm not at all saying an au xr8 is no good, its a great car but the ba xr8 is better. Way better.

Think logically would Ford really say let's release a car worse than last years model?

The better comparison with a ba xr8 is the 250kw t3 Tickford car. A bit behind on power but equal torque but less tunable than the ba.
Lol... Fail. Hahahahahhaha!!

Come on man, you may have almost an argument but dont compair interiors, the AU interior is amazing. Still looks good today, the BA's are horrid. Cheap cruddy interior. Just yuk and flimsy! Come on man! You cant deny that!
Old 20-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #23
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

AU without a shadow of a doubt.

That money buys you an AU2/3 and pretty much the best on the market...there was a Congo one for sale not long ago (still might be) which is just beautiful.

The AU WILL have less issues, and if something does arise ill bet my lefty it will be cheaper to fix.

$15k is BA1 money...NO WAY I would touch a BA1 in a million years.

edit: sorry should restate that, I would buy a BA1 and then drop the 260 and get a coyote NA 5.0 in there..I still lust for starting that project...soon soon.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #24
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Incorrect - in 220 form, the old wheezer does very nicely right through to red line, and with a tune, comes alive, much as the 5.4 does.

Quote:

Powerplant = ba xr8
Incorrect again - at least not without a lot of mods. The AU is just as modifiable and will gain almost as much power, and the engine weighs less - in fact the whole car weighs less, so power to weight is probably going to be in the AUs favour, plus it has better low end torque, which is where you need it (Top end power is rarely used by most drivers).

Quote:

Looks = ba xr8
In YOUR opinion. Personally, I think they each look good in their own way, but the AU XR is more identifiable as an XR, whereas with the BA XR, you have to look twice to make sure it's not an XT with kit and bulge.

Quote:

Interior = ba xr8
Again, in YOUR opinion. AU XR seats are actually very comfortable.....

Quote:

Handling = ba xr8p
Incorrect again. The BA is lighter in the steering and more jittery over the road than an AU XR8. Yes, with added expense, you can possibly get the BA to handle like an AU, but throw the same bits at the AU, and it justs handles better yet....

Quote:
Once again, in YOUR opinion. Though your opinion is based on errors, so should be taken with a grain of salt.....

Quote:

The better comparison with a ba xr8 is the 250kw t3 Tickford car. A bit behind on power but equal torque but less tunable than the ba.
Once again, incorrect. The T3 is every bit as tunable as a BA - there are guys getting very good power from T3s with just exhaust and tune, and the power/torque is in a better range (low range) than a BA.

If you can get a BF ZF 6 speed auto for $15k, go for it (try auctions....). Otherwise, AU3 over BA any day, In my opinion (and most in this thread, actually), and throw the extra $5 you save at the AU and watch it leave those BAs behind.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 20-12-2011, 11:29 PM   #25
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:

Oh yes, we are a horrible bunch. Trying to palm off our ugly cars by saying they handle better. What were we thinking?
Old 20-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #26
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

AU the last propper vinyl int......lol

Au's have stood the test of time and seem to be a better all round built car....

i miss my AU...

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 20-12-2011, 11:35 PM   #27
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Also the Au will have better resale in a few years, and while that perhaps is not important it is a factor. Tickford cars will hold value/marginally appreciate better than any B series XR8.

The only B series XR8 I would own and not do an engine swap/big mods would be a BF or BF2.5.

BA was rushed.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #28
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

also i had an au which i miss alot i now own a ba xr6t, power wise it yeh destroyes the au.

but my au being a six aswell did 870k's to a tank off fuel highway driving.

the ba is a joke so far.

the au did better than the new commo's claim to 900k's to a tank.

Au steering alot less jerky, and alot smoother.

Au much much much cheaper to fix, anything can be found at the wreckers dirt cheap, or the forum..

BA bloody unsofisticated plastic fake looking interior, and every thing costs an arm and a leg here in sa to repair..

AU WINS

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
Old 20-12-2011, 11:41 PM   #29
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

BA IRS - end of thread
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 20-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #30
Bunyip04
Think Heavy..

Quote:
Originally Posted by au11futura
also i had an au which i miss alot i now own a ba xr6t, power wise it yeh destroyes the au.

but my au being a six aswell did 870k's to a tank off fuel highway driving.

the ba is a joke so far.

the au did better than the new commo's claim to 900k's to a tank.

Au steering alot less jerky, and alot smoother.

Au much much much cheaper to fix, anything can be found at the wreckers dirt cheap, or the forum..

BA bloody unsofisticated plastic fake looking interior, and every thing costs an arm and a leg here in sa to repair..

AU WINS
It's funny you say how your BA XR6T is more powerful, which i'm not doubting or trying to start an argument, but, my mate has an 04 BA XR6T, manual, and i had my AU III Tickford XR8 (auto), we had a bit of a run down an empty road one night, and i hosed him by a good car length or 2, just some food for thought!

Closed Thread