Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default 787 first flight end of June

For those of you who are aviation buffs and for those who are not, but could care about how you travel to your OS holidays, the latest and greatest is about to take flight. I got an email from a guy at Boeing who said it is slated for the 28th June.

It has features such as 55% larger windows, higher cabin humidity, higher cabin pressure (so not as hard to breathe) as well as an active dampening system for turbulence. Furthermore, it has more than enough range to get to most cities in the USA non stop and it is so quiet that it can get in and out of airports even after curfew.
It is indeed a new milestone in aviation and will set the way we travel for years to come; ending the hub to hub arrangement and allowing point to point travel.

You can see it and videos of it here:
http://www.boeing.com/787milestones/

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Love it mate, I'm fascinated with aeroplanes, in particular the 380 etc. Thanks.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #3
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh look, it has control wheels, how can I get an endorsment on a playstation now? Ohe well, back to scarebusland.......(or NOT)...

Yep it looks the goods.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2009, 08:07 PM   #4
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Ltd

Do you know which carriers have them on Order for duties out of Oz?

Been on pretty much everything bar the Concorde!

George
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 09:24 AM   #5
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Ltd

Do you know which carriers have them on Order for duties out of Oz?

Been on pretty much everything bar the Concorde!

George
Yeah mate, Qantas/Jetstar has 65 on order with options for 50 more (this means that they have delivery slots allocated even before others can have slots for firm orders); Jetstar will be the first carrier to receive it. Jetstar will begin with domestic routes on the aircraft to gain a minimum amount of cycles and crew experience outside the simulator in order to get CASA certification for the carrier.

Furthermore, Qantas and Emirates have given Boeing a challenge to produce a 787-10; similar dimensions and capabilities of the 777-300ER and if so, have committed to over 200 aircraft (Qantas 120, Emirates 80+).

A friend of mine (I went to school with him) works for V Australia and he has informed me that V has some white orders on the 787 (White orders are orders that have not got the customer name allocated to it, even though it is a firm order). Makes sense, it is a dual endorsement meaning, to fly the 777 you are only about 5 hours training away from the systems of the 787.

Flappist, as usual mate you crack me up.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned
Love it mate, I'm fascinated with aeroplanes, in particular the 380 etc. Thanks.
Duaned, the A380's will eventually go to Jetstar as they do the more tourist centred routes (SYD-LAX, SYD-HNL etc).
Furthermore, the A380's have been very problematic.
Actually, the SYD-LAX route will most likely change to SYD-SFO as the world economy gains strength again, as LAX hate the A380's.
The A380's encroach upon the minimum safe distances at LAX due to its massive wingspan, meaning that planes have to vacate the taxiway if one comes down the runway. Further to that, even service vehicles have to vacate the taxiway when this thing approaches. I've spoken to a number of mates and colleagues and they hate it. LAX tower is even a little rude and abrupt with them.
Another thing to is the fact that these things are plagued with fuel pump problems, as well as being quite vulnerable to FOD on the number 1 and 4 engines (also why only engines 2 and 3 have reverse thrust).
Generally speaking, they are a mongrel to handle on the ground.

Quote: