Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-09-2021, 06:45 PM   #1111
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Boots and all ��
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2021, 08:27 PM   #1112
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After getting sick and tired of my 10 year old Victa Mower (bunnings special)****ing out white smoke and barely doing half my lawn finally bought a new one today. I dont have a huge yard but wanted something half decent so went into my local Stihl Mower Center and they recommended the Rover Duracut 420 which I decided to go with. this is the first garden appliance I havent bought from Bunnings so was pleasantly surprised when the bloke was really knowledgeable and even took it out the back to do the oil/fill it with petrol for me before I left. Alot better than the old "grab the box off the shelf and go through a checkout".

Gave the yard a well overdue going over with it this arvo, pretty stoked with it... wifey doesnt get my excitement of the new mower, so was glad I had this thread to tell some people who may care...lol

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2021, 08:10 AM   #1113
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
After getting sick and tired of my 10 year old Victa Mower (bunnings special)****ing out white smoke and barely doing half my lawn finally bought a new one today. I dont have a huge yard but wanted something half decent so went into my local Stihl Mower Center and they recommended the Rover Duracut 420 which I decided to go with. this is the first garden appliance I havent bought from Bunnings so was pleasantly surprised when the bloke was really knowledgeable and even took it out the back to do the oil/fill it with petrol for me before I left. Alot better than the old "grab the box off the shelf and go through a checkout".

Gave the yard a well overdue going over with it this arvo, pretty stoked with it... wifey doesnt get my excitement of the new mower, so was glad I had this thread to tell some people who may care...lol
Congrats on the new mower and using a small business dealer instead of buying from that green shed full of cheap crap.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #1114
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I have noticed over the last few years Bunning's have been stocking less and less petrol lawn mowers. They used to have an entire isle of them. Now it is all plastic electric and battery gear.

Now I understand the need for those products, not everyone has a large area to mow, so I guess the good thing from that is people who do need the power and range of a petrol powered mower are heading to the smaller independent retailers.

Of the 15 mowers I have bought over the years, all have been from local small businesses.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 09:54 PM   #1115
slowsnake
Banned

Back in early 90's my mate bought some new fancy mulcher mower, he had 1/4 acre block, and first time I seen before a male hose fitting sticking out of the top outside edge of the deck?..and it needed it too, meant to leave mulch behind but if dewey it would just fill underneath with mulch, he said it was to clear it out, clip garden hose on and run motor, they still have them on mowers?....

Cheers Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-09-2021, 10:00 PM   #1116
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Back in early 90's my mate bought some new fancy mulcher mower, he had 1/4 acre block, and first time I seen before a male hose fitting sticking out of the top outside edge of the deck?..and it needed it too, meant to leave mulch behind but if dewey it would just fill underneath with mulch, he said it was to clear it out, clip garden hose on and run motor, they still have them on mowers?....

Cheers Billy
Sure do -

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2021, 11:36 PM   #1117
slowsnake
Banned

Oh cool, thanks for that, not sure if it was just a marketing tool or was actually functional!

Cheers Billy
Old 14-09-2021, 11:56 PM   #1118
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oh cool, thanks for that, not sure if it was just a marketing tool or was actually functional!

Cheers Billy
My honda has one, used it once, if im cleaning it with the hose, i tilt it up, i like to see that ALL the grass is washed off. Dont know if i have trust issues.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 15-09-2021, 09:29 AM   #1119
slowsnake
Banned

Trust issues.....or maybe " rust " issues.....( made of tin which was renamed "sturdy solid BHP steel" lol. )......

Cheers Billy
Old 15-09-2021, 06:23 PM   #1120
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I ran the mower right down low to remove the thatch and obviously took off quite a bit. But there was one particular section where I had a lot of it which I'm guessing the frost has killed off. I have a weird sloping yard so maybe any sort of run off maybe pools there making it worse.

So I got a metal rake and raked the **** out of it and it piled up pretty quickly. Then ran the mower of that and it filled the catcher. I still can't compute how it did but now it is gone.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-09-2021, 08:18 PM   #1121
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just ordered the Hoselink 10m Compact Portable Hose Reel and the Oscillating Sprinkler even though I have a fairly odd shaped yard.

I'm betting that I can adjust the sprinkler enough that I can water the gardens and lawn in one go without moving it and wasting too much water.

The included spray gun will do the front garden quite nicely. I previously had a soaker hose but the garden is too small and apart from it cracking I really thought it wasted a lot of water.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2021, 06:16 PM   #1122
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have been using my Atom edger a fair bit lately.

These have been fitted with a variety of engines over the years, both 2 and 4 stroke. Mine is fitted with the Honda GX25 engine, a 25cc 4-Stroke, although they do make them with a 35cc version too.

I really like this little engine. It's way quieter than a similar sized 2-Stroke, uses very little fuel and is smooth as silk.

I note they make a version fitted with a 48cc Mitsubishi 2-Stroke that would be a beast on thick Kikuyu.
https://atomindustries.com/Products/...ke-lawn-edger/
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 12:25 PM   #1123
slowsnake
Banned

Sounds like it should be called the " Mighty Atom " ........

Cheers Billy
Old 22-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #1124
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just got done doing my place, 4 weeks away, with a lot of rain makes the grass grooooooooow oh so high.

2 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 05:06 PM   #1125
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Just got done doing my place, 4 weeks away, with a lot of rain makes the grass grooooooooow oh so high.
Just go to the Melbourne CBD for the next "protest" and grab a couple of sheep.......

Cheers Billy
Old 22-09-2021, 05:12 PM   #1126
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Just go to the Melbourne CBD for the next "protest" and grab a couple of sheep.......

Cheers Billy
Ah, no thanks.

Old 22-09-2021, 09:10 PM   #1127
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Ok guys, I'm doing my annual service on all my garden equipment (Honda) and I had a look at the wheel bearings on my Honda HRU-195 Buffalo out of curiosity today, and they could do with being replaced, (they still roll ok, but I can hear and tell some bearings are rusty/stuffed).

So I looked up replacements and I can get ones to suit with spring caps for $20, (from Greenacres) but they are not sealed bearings. I researched locally for sealed items and online but the cheapest I could find were $8+ each (need 2 per wheel, so 8 all up) compared to $20 delivered for 8 for the cheaper ones.

So I then went searching on Amazon and found some IKE ones that are sealed from the states for $47 delivered.

But my question is has anyone replaced bearings on lawn mowers as such and if so did you source them locally online and if so from where and roughly how much so I can suss them out.

Cheers.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 09:35 PM   #1128
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Ive replaced wheel bearings in my old Rover, couldn’t get the right part so I made do with an off-the-shelf outer bearing, then turned up spacer sleeves to locate the (smaller OD) inner bearing. Not ideal but cost me about $50 vs a new mower.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2021, 10:05 PM   #1129
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8 View Post
Ok guys, I'm doing my annual service on all my garden equipment (Honda) and I had a look at the wheel bearings on my Honda HRU-195 Buffalo out of curiosity today, and they could do with being replaced, (they still roll ok, but I can hear and tell some bearings are rusty/stuffed).

So I looked up replacements and I can get ones to suit with spring caps for $20, (from Greenacres) but they are not sealed bearings. I researched locally for sealed items and online but the cheapest I could find were $8+ each (need 2 per wheel, so 8 all up) compared to $20 delivered for 8 for the cheaper ones.

So I then went searching on Amazon and found some IKE ones that are sealed from the states for $47 delivered.

But my question is has anyone replaced bearings on lawn mowers as such and if so did you source them locally online and if so from where and roughly how much so I can suss them out.

Cheers.
Do you own a Grease Gun..?? If so..! get yourself one of these & grease the Bearings through the Rubber seal..

https://www.repco.com.au/en/tools-eq...gin/p/A9618127

hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-09-2021, 10:19 PM   #1130
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

These are the ones from Amazon, they are actually $28 delivered, for 10 as well.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H4L4KBR..._t_img_lh&th=1
Old 23-09-2021, 10:26 AM   #1131
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:

Cheers.
Sometimes cheap is good, but if you make a living from it go for quality, if sealed bearing were so good you would have them on your car?
But up to you, I don't own a mower but have used a few rideons, never had wheel bearing issues, maybe more maintenance with the new ones eh!

Go for good brand name bearings, who is Xike??
Buy from a good Australian bearing supplier!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 23-09-2021 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Add bit
Old 23-09-2021, 07:54 PM   #1132
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm already starting to see the pay off from raking up all the dead thatch. Some nice green shoots coming through now

Hoselink must be jammed though. I ordered over a week ago and still order is only confirmed not ready or shipped maybe due to delays in the post.
Old 23-09-2021, 08:03 PM   #1133
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'm already starting to see the pay off from raking up all the dead thatch. Some nice green shoots coming through now

Hoselink must be jammed though. I ordered over a week ago and still order is only confirmed not ready or shipped maybe due to delays in the post.
It will be the shipping. I waited nearly two weeks for an order that would normally be 5 days.

Now would be a great time to feed your lawn too, that will spur those new green shoots.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2021, 08:30 PM   #1134
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Sometimes cheap is good, but if you make a living from it go for quality, if sealed bearing were so good you would have them on your car?
But up to you, I don't own a mower but have used a few rideons, never had wheel bearing issues, maybe more maintenance with the new ones eh!

Go for good brand name bearings, who is Xike??
Buy from a good Australian bearing supplier!

Cheers Billy
Mr Slowsnake,you will find there haven’t been other than sealed bearings on cars for 20 years
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2021, 08:45 PM   #1135
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Mr Slowsnake,you will find there haven’t been other than sealed bearings on cars for 20 years
Mr tassie, I know what bearings are and their various uses, can you add something positive for the OP please!

Talking wheel bearings?....not gearbox or elsewhere, just axles?

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 23-09-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 23-09-2021, 09:38 PM   #1136
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Mr tassie, I know what bearings are and their various uses, can you add something positive for the OP please!

Talking wheel bearings?....not gearbox or elsewhere, just axles?

Cheers Billy
well the wheels in the topic were mower wheel bearings,not gearbox ball or roller bearings or engine slipper bearings so I responded to your statement!!
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2021, 06:33 PM   #1137
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

New air filter for the Honda, I think it was time!

Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2021, 06:50 PM   #1138
slowsnake
Banned

That's the nicest filter I've seen in ages!...very tactile design, and shape suits the motors slim lowline look!.....

Cheers BillyN
Old 27-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #1139
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

It must be the time for it, I've just replaced the air filters/ spark plugs/changed the oil on my Honda mower/brush cutter and blower. As well as new blades for the mower, and I'm just waiting on a muffler gasket to finish it all off, so what does one do while waiting for that to turn up...... grab the shine mate polisher and give all three a polish over, my wife thinks I'm sad that I'm polishing my garden equipment.
5 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2021, 07:34 PM   #1140
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It must be the time for it, I've just replaced the air filters/ spark plugs/changed the oil on my Honda mower/brush cutter and blower. As well as new blades for the mower, and I'm just waiting on a muffler gasket to finish it all off, so what does one do while waiting for that to turn up...... grab the shine mate polisher and give all three a polish over, my wife thinks I'm sad that I'm polishing my garden equipment.
Love it, even I don't go that far!
Mustang GT

3 users like this post: